Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Little Big Planet is a fun, kid-friendly game, especially if you play with four people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Can anyone recommend me a good city/town builder game? Something that isn't too insanely difficult. Kinda just wanna chill and build a village or something.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Anno series is a great city-builder that has plenty of depth but isn't anywhere near as stressful/tough/whatever as Tropico/SimCity/whatever. 2070 in particular is chill as hell.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

mungtor posted:

I'm looking for good PS3 games for kids. I have 2, ages 10 and 8. They have progressed through things like Mini Ninjas, Portal 2, all the Little Big Planet stuff, and some other inexpensive downloads (Puddle, Journey, some of Doki Doki universe, even Street Fighter). One of their favorites so far has been Wrath of the White Witch, and based on that we got them the Valkyira Chronicles - but that has not been interesting to them in the least.

The older one is currently working her way through Assassin's Creed I (she already wants to be Altair for Halloween), but I'm not so keen on letting her play AC2 and having to explain the brothel and dancers yet. FWIW, they both say most of the Wii games are "babyish", although they are deeply into Pokemon on the 3DS. The 8 year old likes playing puzzle and tower defense type flash games, but he has no patience for reading back-story.

So, what else is out there? If it's relevant, both are huge fans of Studio Ghibli stuff so anything along those lines would be well received. Obviously, shooting/stabbing/punching is OK but I'd like to keep the over-the-top gore and sexual content levels low. Thanks!

Rayman Origins/Legends, Sonic Generations, and if they like kart racers Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed. Perhaps some PS1 classics? And if they liked Journey then maybe Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

mungtor posted:

I'm looking for good PS3 games for kids. I have 2, ages 10 and 8. They have progressed through things like Mini Ninjas, Portal 2, all the Little Big Planet stuff, and some other inexpensive downloads (Puddle, Journey, some of Doki Doki universe, even Street Fighter). One of their favorites so far has been Wrath of the White Witch, and based on that we got them the Valkyira Chronicles - but that has not been interesting to them in the least.

The older one is currently working her way through Assassin's Creed I (she already wants to be Altair for Halloween), but I'm not so keen on letting her play AC2 and having to explain the brothel and dancers yet. FWIW, they both say most of the Wii games are "babyish", although they are deeply into Pokemon on the 3DS. The 8 year old likes playing puzzle and tower defense type flash games, but he has no patience for reading back-story.

So, what else is out there? If it's relevant, both are huge fans of Studio Ghibli stuff so anything along those lines would be well received. Obviously, shooting/stabbing/punching is OK but I'd like to keep the over-the-top gore and sexual content levels low. Thanks!
Okami.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

Cismans Burden posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good city/town builder game? Something that isn't too insanely difficult. Kinda just wanna chill and build a village or something.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

mungtor posted:

If it's relevant, both are huge fans of Studio Ghibli stuff so anything along those lines would be well received.

Studio Ghibli actually just released a game: Ni no Kuni

kedo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 21, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ I'd advise against Ni no Kuni unless the kids are really patient. It's charming as hell story/art wise, but the gameplay has a major flaw in that the AI for you allies is completely braindead which makes the game far more harder than it should be.

mungtor posted:

Valkyria Chronicles might work if they can handle a strategy game. The story side has a bit of violence, but it's not like Assassins' Creed level and the whole thing has a somewhat Ghibli charm to it.

Ratchet and Clank HD (and the two native to PS3) and Jak and Daxter HD would also be excellent choices. They're very kid friendly platformers with a bit of shooting.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I know I asked for two recs the previous page but this one is a lot more broader:
Are there any more ant-farm type games? Types of "games" (simulators? toys?) where I can put some settings in, put it on my other monitor, and watch it progress or do something? I've been using BoxCar2D for the longest time but the lack of updates has made it go a bit stale.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Banished is super super difficult based on the RPS Review

Spaced God posted:

I know I asked for two recs the previous page but this one is a lot more broader:
Are there any more ant-farm type games? Types of "games" (simulators? toys?) where I can put some settings in, put it on my other monitor, and watch it progress or do something? I've been using BoxCar2D for the longest time but the lack of updates has made it go a bit stale.

Angband is a roguelike that can play itself

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 21, 2014

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Cismans Burden posted:

DO you have an Xbox 360? The Kingdom of Keflings games are nice and relaxing while you build a little city. I really liked them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Banished is super super difficult based on the RPS Review

It has a worse problem: it's not all that much interesting once you get the survival down.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any RPGs with decent magic systems? I've played most of the big names: Baldur's Gate, DA:O, Skyrim, Oblivion. Other than that, I haven't branched out much.

I'm not too picky about my RPGs, but character customization would be a big plus. I know this isn't super descriptive, but RPGs with decent magic have got to be a dime a dozen. v:v:v

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any RPGs with decent magic systems? I've played most of the big names: Baldur's Gate, DA:O, Skyrim, Oblivion. Other than that, I haven't branched out much.

I'm not too picky about my RPGs, but character customization would be a big plus. I know this isn't super descriptive, but RPGs with decent magic have got to be a dime a dozen. v:v:v

Actually they are pretty rare.

On the action side of things you have Magicka which probably has the best actiony magic combat ever.

For my side of things I'm looking for a reeeeally good Pokemon and/or Harvest Moon for/on the PC.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Your best bet is probably emulating the real thing.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Arx Fatalis (AKA the Ultima Underworld 3 that never was) has this system where you find component runes and have to draw them in the air to cast magic. It's well worth checking out if you want a different take on a first person RPG.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dungeons of dreadmore maybe.

E: no that's not the name. Ugh looking

E2: I was thinking of Legends of Grimrock.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 22, 2014

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Major INTERSpess posted:

I'm looking for a tank simulator similar to my childhood favorite, Armored Fist 3. I've tried T72 but it's a tad bit too Russian for my taste.

Steel Beasts is expensive, and hardcore, but really damned good. If you want a tank/APC sim, it's the only way to go.

e; maybe check out some YouTube's of it, see if it looks like your thing before committing the dosh.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dark Souls. You want Dark Souls. :)

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Might get some flak for this but personally I think Two Worlds one and two both have a very cool magic system. I'd say they're both mediocre to decent RPGs, with the first being so bad it's good and the second one being alright, if a bit generic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

Dark Souls. You want Dark Souls. :)

Conversely I thought the magic system was one of the dullest parts of the Souls games. There really isn't much depth to it compared to the excellent melee.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 22, 2014

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

You didn't mention Morrowind there, so if you didn't play it yet, you really should. It pretty much has the best magic system out of all TES games. You can craft your own spells out of all the spell effects you know, same with enchantments. You can adjust the magnitude and duration of effects, which means you can power up your spells as you become more skilled, keeping magic viable throughout the whole game. Alchemy scales pretty well to your skill as well, allowing you to do some pretty ridiculous buffs. I don't know much about Oblivion, but Skyrim's system is a step back in every way.

NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer is a DnD game with a boatload of races and classess to choose from and, I think, a comparable number of spells to Baldur's Gate. It's also imo one of the best RPGs ever made, it reminded me of PS:T in many ways.
The base game is pretty solid as well, though mostly very different in tone. If you want the experience of going from lv.1 to god-like, give it a try as well.

Darklands is very cool, if you don't mind DOS-era games.

As far as more modern RPGs go, it's pretty much a hundred slightly different flavors of 'cast fireball for 10mp', sadly.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I will second Morrowind, with the note that while the magic system is really good, it's also incredibly easy to break almost accidentally, and the game itself is definitely kind of aged. It's still a brilliant game (and looks pretty good with the graphics overhaul), but mechanically it feels kind of off and can be frustrating if you're going in blind and bumbling around.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can someone recommend some co-op games for 2-3 players that are easy to play?
My friend just got his first gaming PC and we're looking for games to play together but he is struggling with most of the games that we try because he's not really a gamer and he is really bad at video games. Anything where has has to take in a lot of information very quickly or that requires quick reaction times is giving him a hard time.

Games that have worked:
Magicka - We made it through the game and had fun but I think it was more frustrating than anything, because he never really accomplished anything except killing me and whenever I was dead it would take him like 5 minutes of walking in circles before he figured out how to resurrect me.
Endless Space/Civ 5 - Turn-based stuff seems to be easier and once he got over the initial learning curve these went pretty smoothly but his turns take a really, really long time which made it less fun for me.
Trine/2 - because who doesn't love Trine? He had fun but he was also pretty much incompetent through the game and never did anything on his own, he just kind of tagged along while I played through the game.
Portal 2

Games that didn't work:
Borderlands 2 - He died constantly and spent most of the playtime running back to where I was when I couldn't pick him up in time.
Dawn of War 2 - He had a hard time managing multiple units, and the way that units are assigned was causing us some problems (e.g. he would buy a bunch of units and they would just sit there for the entire map because he wouldn't select them)
Risk of Rain - was a little too hard for him on the easiest difficulty

Basically we are looking for "Baby's First Co-Op Videogame" kind of stuff. He's a smart guy but hilariously inept at playing video games (even though he's really in to it). He's extremely bad at reading on-screen text unless it's a big in-your-face popup that you can't ignore/skip and one of the biggest hurdles I have been getting over is getting him to figure out the controls for whatever game we're playing (because he doesn't read the on-screen indicators or whatever and doesn't have the experience playing games necessary to just sit down in a new game and know how to play it) so something with very simple/intuitive controls that are clearly and obviously explained in-game would be ideal. Back in the day (~13+ years ago) he used to play RTS (C&C and Total Annihilation) and Unreal Tournament games but I think whatever know-how or skill he had has entirely faded at this point. I don't think we really have any restrictions on genre, we just want things that are easy for someone who is a non-gamer while simultaneously fulfilling for 1-2 other players that are Good At Video Games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A.C. posted:

My friend just got his first gaming PC and we're looking for games to play together but he is struggling with most of the games that we try because he's not really a gamer and he is really bad at video games. Anything where has has to take in a lot of information very quickly or that requires quick reaction times is giving him a hard time.

Monaco should fit the bill nicely. The gameplay itself is very simple with most of the strategy relying on teamwork. It's also only 5$ in this week's humble bundle.

Have you considered something more exploration/construction based like Minecraft, Terraria or Starbound to ease him in? Might be good to start in a game where you have better control over the difficulty.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've tried to sell him on both Monaco and Starbound. I think he was kind of interested in Monaco but it was a bad time so I'll bring that back up and see if he's interested. I've told him about Starbound a few times and he's either not interested and not telling me or he just keeps forgetting. I think it might be a little advanced for him at the moment with all of the unintuitive menu screens (if goons in the game forum were confused by the starmap screen he definitely will be) but I have a feeling he would like it once he gets used to moving around virtual worlds and navigating menus. Monaco is definitely a great suggestion that could be used right now, though!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 23, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

This is going to be an against-the-grain opinion here, but...

I wasn't a huge fan of Dark Soul's magic system at all. I didn't mind Demon's Souls magic system too much because you could actually regen mana and all but in Dark Souls, unless you really know what you're doing, like as in knowing the game inside and out, making a pure caster is just about the hardest thing you can do because of the incredibly limited casts you have to work with.

Funny enough, one of the most engaging magic systems I've ever played is when I played a warlock in World of Warcraft. The way spells and abilities all fit together was just amazing. Actually, all of the magic using classes in that game are extremely well done and fun to play. Then again I'm probably weird, because I'm one of those people who think that WoW with AI party members and enemy players, a super reduced time to max level and 100% drop rates on everything from bear asses in bear rear end fetch quests to raid drop equipment would make for probably the most kick rear end single player RPG of all time.

Aside from that, here's another oddball suggestion. Try the Mass Effect series. The magic in those games isn't swords and sorcery style magic, it's not even called "magic," but it works basically the exact same way and a bunch of the classes are really well designed and have really fun 1-2-3 style casting and shooting chains that never get old.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

You didn't mention Morrowind there, so if you didn't play it yet, you really should. It pretty much has the best magic system out of all TES games. You can craft your own spells out of all the spell effects you know, same with enchantments. You can adjust the magnitude and duration of effects, which means you can power up your spells as you become more skilled, keeping magic viable throughout the whole game. Alchemy scales pretty well to your skill as well, allowing you to do some pretty ridiculous buffs. I don't know much about Oblivion, but Skyrim's system is a step back in every way.

NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer is a DnD game with a boatload of races and classess to choose from and, I think, a comparable number of spells to Baldur's Gate. It's also imo one of the best RPGs ever made, it reminded me of PS:T in many ways.
The base game is pretty solid as well, though mostly very different in tone. If you want the experience of going from lv.1 to god-like, give it a try as well.

Darklands is very cool, if you don't mind DOS-era games.

As far as more modern RPGs go, it's pretty much a hundred slightly different flavors of 'cast fireball for 10mp', sadly.

I actually played back through MotB to get the evil ending. Evil is done so wrong in most games, but that kind of experience was the kind of carrot that made being evil actually seem really attractive.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

I feel the need to recommend Dragon's Dogma. It's a open-world(ish) action-RPG with great combat and hilarious levels of customization. Admittedly, the magic system itself isn't super-deep or interesting, but the high-level magic is the absolute best of any game I've played. Do you dig being able to summon enormous fuckoff cyclones, or lightning whips? Meteor storms? Skull-bombs? They're all beautiful, and just as powerful as being flung into the sky by an arcane vortex should be.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A.C. posted:

Games that have worked:
Magicka - We made it through the game and had fun but I think it was more frustrating than anything, because he never really accomplished anything except killing me and whenever I was dead it would take him like 5 minutes of walking in circles before he figured out how to resurrect me.
Endless Space/Civ 5 - Turn-based stuff seems to be easier and once he got over the initial learning curve these went pretty smoothly but his turns take a really, really long time which made it less fun for me.
Trine/2 - because who doesn't love Trine? He had fun but he was also pretty much incompetent through the game and never did anything on his own, he just kind of tagged along while I played through the game.
Portal 2

Games that didn't work:
Borderlands 2 - He died constantly and spent most of the playtime running back to where I was when I couldn't pick him up in time.
Dawn of War 2 - He had a hard time managing multiple units, and the way that units are assigned was causing us some problems (e.g. he would buy a bunch of units and they would just sit there for the entire map because he wouldn't select them)
Risk of Rain - was a little too hard for him on the easiest difficulty

Basically we are looking for "Baby's First Co-Op Videogame" kind of stuff. He's a smart guy but hilariously inept at playing video games (even though he's really in to it). He's extremely bad at reading on-screen text unless it's a big in-your-face popup that you can't ignore/skip and one of the biggest hurdles I have been getting over is getting him to figure out the controls for whatever game we're playing (because he doesn't read the on-screen indicators or whatever and doesn't have the experience playing games necessary to just sit down in a new game and know how to play it) so something with very simple/intuitive controls that are clearly and obviously explained in-game would be ideal. Back in the day (~13+ years ago) he used to play RTS (C&C and Total Annihilation) and Unreal Tournament games but I think whatever know-how or skill he had has entirely faded at this point. I don't think we really have any restrictions on genre, we just want things that are easy for someone who is a non-gamer while simultaneously fulfilling for 1-2 other players that are Good At Video Games.

I have a few friends that are very casual, even after playing co-op games for years. They like to shoot, and be shot at, but not get hit too often. The games that work best for them are those that allow you to fine-tune the difficulty. Here's what's worked for us (though I really wish we could branch out a drat bit, because my gently caress am I bored with manshooters):

- Counter Strike Source (bots are adjustable in their difficulty)
- IL-2 (custom scenarios and adjustable realism)
- Arma II (I hate this game and am thoroughly bored with it, but it's our mainstay because of how flexible it is to create your own scenarios)

Of the above, Arma II is probably the best at giving you what you need, while also allowing you to define roles that let your friend shine. For example, put yourself in as difficult a situation as you like, while putting him in armor to support you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pierson posted:

The Anno series is a great city-builder that has plenty of depth but isn't anywhere near as stressful/tough/whatever as Tropico/SimCity/whatever. 2070 in particular is chill as hell.

Actually my wife thought 2070 was too stressful and went back to Dawn of Discovery. She didn't like that the game had angry future sounding music and everything was bleak :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the best modern (read, PS2 onwards) Tales game? I haven't played any game in the series.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

So back when I played Neverwinter Nights with all its expansions in the early 2000s, I made a druid, and was somewhat underwhelmed until I unlocked the Shifter prestige class.

The Shifter is pretty much what it says on the tin - it focuses on the Druid's ability to polymorph himself into various creatures. As you leveled up in the prestige class, the number of transformations became massive, giving you the equivalent of a swiss army knife. If you needed combat prowess, the minotaur shape was tough and strong. If you needed thiefly skills, the Kobold Commander was quite stealthy with a formidable sneak attack. There were Undead forms that had immunity to many of the most deadly status effects, and even a Spectre that could steadily drain a target's strength. This all culminated in the final dragon shape, which had an absurdly massive stick of stats and a very powerful breath attack.

I lost that character ages ago, but I picked up the NWN series again off GoG and was saddened to find that NWN2 no longer had the Shifter prestige class. I've been remaking my Shifter in NWN, though, and been having a surprising amount of fun in the horrid OC.

What I'm wondering is if there's another western-style RPG (or game with an RPG-like feel of character development) where you can develop a shapeshifter that's this adaptable and versatile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the best modern (read, PS2 onwards) Tales game? I haven't played any game in the series.

Most fans would say Vesperia (360 only) or Symphonia (Gamecube, but it's got a PS3 port coming out next month.) Of the two, I definitely like Vesperia more overall and Symphonia has the annoyance of having a lot of the game not voiced.

There's also Tales of Graces and Xillia on PS3. Graces F has some of the most fun combat the series has produced since it uses a very unique evolution of the PSX games' system, but the plot's pretty terrible.

Xillia, on the other hand, has a decent (but rushed in the 3rd act) plot with better characters than Graces and a battle system that is Symphonia/Vesperia style with a few bits of Graces' tacked on. The game overall, though, feels a bit lacking and dull.

If you have a 360, Vesperia's the best choice (it's even available as a digital release for fairly cheap.) If you've only got a PS3 which game you choose depends on your tolerance for anime bullshit (Graces is the better game overall, but it's bursting with anime cliches.)

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Looking for Cyberpunk games. The more depressive, the better! Preferably for PC, and I think I can emulate PS2 gen games.

Games that fit what I'm looking for: Deus Ex, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, Shadowrun, Hard Reset

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

V!ntar posted:

Looking for Cyberpunk games. The more depressive, the better! Preferably for PC, and I think I can emulate PS2 gen games.

Games that fit what I'm looking for: Deus Ex, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, Shadowrun, Hard Reset

Can't remember anything else recent and good, but from 2000-ish there are TRON 2.0, Paradise Cracked and System Shock 2(1 is even more cyberpunk, but it is drat old and clunky)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 24, 2014

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

V!ntar posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Reveangence is quite cyberpunk and really good. If you like fast paced brawler games like Devil May Cry or God of War you should check it out! It's available on Steam (good port, but you definitely need a gamepad to play it properly).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Gone Home was amazing, so was the Stanley Parable, what can I play that will be like that? I'm just looking for something easy and casual, with that sort of, you just walk about, gameplay.

E: Nothing to pretentious if possible.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sounds strange, but I found the Penumbra series to be similar to that style of gameplay. You walk around reading documents and solving puzzles and the being stalked by horrid abominations part is actually rather small and easy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Gone Home was amazing, so was the Stanley Parable, what can I play that will be like that? I'm just looking for something easy and casual, with that sort of, you just walk about, gameplay.

E: Nothing to pretentious if possible.

Jazzpunk is kind of like that as well, though with a lot of really surreal gags.