Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Flipperwaldt posted:

These guys will surely be glad to help you out.
Like the note frequencies? Melodyne. If it's more to help you mixing, look for a spectrum analyzer (Voxengo SPAN maybe) or a spectrograph.

I was thinking more like a slider that could isolate say a guitar playing, bass line or vocals in realtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toadsniff posted:

I was thinking more like a slider that could isolate say a guitar playing, bass line or vocals in realtime.
Yeah, that would be awesome, but it doesn't exist. Can't get the eggs back out of a cake.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Toadsniff posted:

You can do some interesting things with mid/side processors like Waves Center (which is possibly the simplest form that something like this can take). You can use m/s to bring out (or even cancel out) certain frequencies, which can have the effect of isolating or removing a particular instrument or vocal, but the results very much depend on the arrangement/mix and harmonic qualities of the instrument/voice in question.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I'm currently studying two instruments in treble clef, but with different string tunings - mandolin and Brazilian ukulele. As you can imagine this is incredibly confusing learning melodies. One note will be an open string on one instrument, but a fretted note on another.

Is there any way to study the two effectively together, or am I just making life hard for myself?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the only realistic answer will be do a bunch of note identification drills for each instrument until you no longer have to think about where your fingers need to go. This will take some time I imagine (ie months/years), it's hard enough just learning one fretboard but perseverance will get you the results you need, and doing two instruments at once will be definitely beneficial for training your musical ear.

Record small audio bites of you saying the letters A through to G and then play them on shuffle while you sit there with whatever instrument and try to locate the note on the fretboard before the next note is called. Start with one string, then move on to the next string when comfortable with the first, then both strings, then a third etc, repeat until you know the fretboard inside out.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
Thanks for the tips. I've been thinking about a subscription to a sightreading website like this: https://sightreadingfactory.com/

Any idea if it's better to spend a week playing one, then the other, or alternate each day? Both seem to confuse my brain at the moment.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd do both daily, you will get faster and more consistent results than focusing on one instrument weekly and the more you throw yourself into it the quicker the feeling of confusion dissipates. Don't spend tons of time on it, just 5 mins of dedicated note location per instrument per day will be enough to see improvement, spend the rest of your time learning chord shapes, scale patterns and general technique, and have some dedicated improvisation time to get to know the instruments.

Can't comment on that sightreading program as I can only read staff for drums, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of free resources around but for $30 a year that site would probably good value for the amount of content it looks to offer, plus there would likely be some community of other users formed around it which is always a good thing.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
You know what? Although I really appreciate your advice, it's just not worth me trying to learn both at once. I rarely take the opportunity to get truly good at one instrument without another one diverting my attention! I'll focus on the uke for now.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I have to connect two computers to a single pair of monitors, is there something like this http://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-MX41b-F...ds=stereo+mixer but active rather than passive

And how would I go about doing this? One computer has an interface so I'm good with using a 1/4 inch cable, could I just use a 1/8 to 1/4 inch cable from the soundcard of the other computer?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I have to connect two computers to a single pair of monitors, is there something like this http://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-MX41b-F...ds=stereo+mixer but active rather than passive

And how would I go about doing this? One computer has an interface so I'm good with using a 1/4 inch cable, could I just use a 1/8 to 1/4 inch cable from the soundcard of the other computer?
Behringer Micromix MX400?

e: that's 4 mono channels, by the way.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Behringer Micromix MX400?

e: that's 4 mono channels, by the way.

I know very little about the difference between mono and stereo, we are planning to work on music so we need both channels on each working, will that mixer do if I wanted to connect them to something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=32LA2XPXYYNZY&coliid=I1N90BMCSW4VKW Or is mono what I need for doing this?

there's also rca inputs but I don't know if we can use both that and the trs ins at the same time? Does "line" mean that the signal doesn't get amplified?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I know very little about the difference between mono and stereo, we are planning to work on music so we need both channels on each working, will that mixer do if I wanted to connect them to something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=32LA2XPXYYNZY&coliid=I1N90BMCSW4VKW Or is mono what I need for doing this?

there's also rca inputs but I don't know if we can use both that and the trs ins at the same time? Does "line" mean that the signal doesn't get amplified?
Sorry, brainfart. That Behringer thing of course also outputs in mono which is not what you need.

I wouldn't just plug both things into the speakers at once. You were right to look for a mixer.

Line level signal is a sort of lingua franca between audio devices. It is indeed an unamplified signal; compared to what drives speakers anyway.

Behringer Xenyx 502 would be a better suggestion, probably. Sorry about before.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Obi-Wan here is standing next to the two channels with the brown ¼" inputs, those are from 2 MBP's in my studio. That board outputs to a couple of different monitor sets (but for your purposes that makes no difference, 1 is the same as 5 different monitor sets) so I can run each laptop on its own, together (if, for example I'm doing something non-audio related on one while listening to a movie or podcast from the other comp) or mixed together (if, and I admit nothing, I were to say, play World of Warcraft on one machine while listening to or watching a movie on the other through the same set of monitors, but again, PURELY hypothetical). I have another Mac using the Firewire input on that board as another audio input as well, or I link it up to my other interfaces for more flexibility.

For what you're wanting to do, something like this, for example would work perfectly with the monitors you linked. It's basically exactly like my setup just with fewer bells and whistles.

Hopefully that wasn't too much info or too rambling of an example for you, if you need any clarification just let me know.

Edit: Additionally, to accomplish this, depending on your computer, you'd need a ⅛" stereo to ¼" mono cable for each one, such as these, which are what I'm using.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 21, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

rad, thanks a lot guys

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have kind of a weird iOS-related question.

A friend of mine runs a spin class. He plays music from an iPad over AirPlay to an AppleTV receiver, and he's looking for a wireless talk-over solution. Rather than Jerry-rigging a cheap mixer between the AppleTV and his PA, he'd like to do the talk-over within his iPad. So far all the apps we've found (searching 'airplay mic', 'airplay mixer', 'karaoke' and all kinds of keywords) either disable the iTunes output or - in the case of the karaoke apps - don't work with his iTunes library. I suggested finding a DJ app that allows you to import iTunes playlists and utilize the mic - Qusik seems to do this but frustratingly, it seems to have a bug that prevents upgrading to the advanced version, so we can't test it out.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Hi, I have a hopefully-not-dumb question! I couldn't decide what thread it would go in, so it's here now.

I only have a laptop to make music on, due to being overseas for the next year or so. It's very powerful, but geared towards games. The Intel chipset on my motherboard (the drivers call themselves "Realtek HD") seems to be completely unable to use ASIO4ALL. Trying to play anything with like 100 ms of delay is balls. I figured I'd try to see if I can find some sort of USB-based solution, since that's really all I can do about it afaik.

Is something like the M-Audio M-Track what I'm looking for? Or does that only handle external sources, and not stuff like VSTs on my computer itself? I'm kind of unsure as to kind of processing an audio interface like that does.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Flanky posted:

Hi, I have a hopefully-not-dumb question! I couldn't decide what thread it would go in, so it's here now.

I only have a laptop to make music on, due to being overseas for the next year or so. It's very powerful, but geared towards games. The Intel chipset on my motherboard (the drivers call themselves "Realtek HD") seems to be completely unable to use ASIO4ALL. Trying to play anything with like 100 ms of delay is balls. I figured I'd try to see if I can find some sort of USB-based solution, since that's really all I can do about it afaik.

Is something like the M-Audio M-Track what I'm looking for? Or does that only handle external sources, and not stuff like VSTs on my computer itself? I'm kind of unsure as to kind of processing an audio interface like that does.
Here's the thread for it. But in short, yes, an external audio interface with proper ASIO drivers is the right solution to that latency problem.

It's not that the interface would do a lot of processing, more that the driver will allow it to be addressed directly by the software, rather than through several layers of operating system cruft.

Don't know much about the M-Track specifically, but it does seem to have ASIO drivers for recent versions of Windows, so that's good.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here's the thread for it. But in short, yes, an external audio interface with proper ASIO drivers is the right solution to that latency problem.

It's not that the interface would do a lot of processing, more that the driver will allow it to be addressed directly by the software, rather than through several layers of operating system cruft.

Don't know much about the M-Track specifically, but it does seem to have ASIO drivers for recent versions of Windows, so that's good.

Excellent, thanks so much! Sorry for missing the thread.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Question about using DI boxes, I've been given conflicting information from various sources so I'm hoping someone has some experience with them.

We've got a '68 Ampeg Colossus ST-42 head (solid state 125w) but no cabinet right now. The head has no direct outs. Some initial (not very detailed) Googling tells me I can use a DI box to go from the speaker outs on the head to our interface (Behringer FCA1616). I called Guitar Center (yeah, I know) and the guy on the phone confirmed, they have a bunch starting at about $30. I get there and the pro audio guy tells me there's no way those DI boxes would handle the speaker load, and that the only one he knows that can is a Countryman Type 85, which is $180.

Is this just a case of the salesman wanting to make a bigger sale? The DI box was supposed to be an interim solution until we got a good cab anyway, I don't want to spend that kind of cash if we could put it toward a cabinet instead.

And I know this isn't exactly a "just hook it up and see if it works" situation since it could potentially fry everything.

Lazlow fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 20, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Lazlow posted:

Question about using DI boxes, I've been given conflicting information from various sources so I'm hoping someone has some experience with them.

We've got a '68 Ampeg Colossus ST-42 head but no cabinet right now. The head has no direct outs. Some initial (not very detailed) Googling tells me I can use a DI box to go from the speaker outs on the head to our interface (Behringer FCA1616). I called Guitar Center (yeah, I know) and the guy on the phone confirmed, they have a bunch starting at about $30. I get there and the pro audio guy tells me there's no way those DI boxes would handle the speaker load, and that the only one he knows that can is a Countryman Type 85, which is $180.

Is this just a case of the salesman wanting to make a bigger sale? The DI box was supposed to be an interim solution until we got a good cab anyway, I don't want to spend that kind of cash if we could put it toward a cabinet instead.

And I know this isn't exactly a "just hook it up and see if it works" situation since it could potentially fry everything.
This is strictly an out of my rear end drive-by post, but I've never seen a cheap DI that'd handle a power amplifier output as well, especially from a vintage (and I'm assuming) tube amp, you'll fry your output transformers pretty quick (likely along with the DI as well).

What you're wanting is an attenuator with a DI. There are quite a few people making them, Weber, THD, Dr Z (these are really nice) and a personal buddy Curt Granger at Granger Amplification builds them to order (and his prices are really good too).

The attenuator will take the wattage from the speaker outs and dissipate it as (mostly) heat while providing the proper resistance against your output transformers to keep them from self-destructing while also converting part of that signal to a line level output suitable for recording. Many of them will also offer a 'cab sim' option, but you can always add that in post with a plugin so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Thanks for that. It's actually a solid state head (fairly rare for Ampeg back then, apparently), 125 watts. It sounds like we're better off spending the money on a cab (and mic), since that's our goal eventually. I thought the DI route would be a quick, cheap stopgap solution but apparently not.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
Hi

We need a mini mic/pa system for our training room and possibly for external presentations. We used to run a cheap mixer into the room audio, because all the presenters used VGA so that was easy to mix, but with most folks using hdmi these days combining any computer audio with mic audio and sending it to the receiver is painful.

We have one wireless lav mic (A Sennheiser G3 Camera kit.), and will be getting another.

What I've been looking at is

One of these
http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...170-Watt_10.htm
I've had really good experience with instrument yorkville amps and speakers in music, but idk poo poo about PA type uses.

I also want a simple mixer so that we can handle 2 lav (condenser mics so they need phantom power) and also run into a computer for audio for training videos. The simpler the better because I don't want people who don't know.

So far it looks like one of these
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/Q802USB.aspx

or one of these
https://www.alesis.com/multimix4usb

Anyone have any experience with any of this stuff.

Keep in mind that this will only be used for presentation audio not parties or actual singing / instruments.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
also any recommendations on economical Wireless Lav mics, The sennheiser is great but at $700 vs a $300 line 6 or something even cheaper on amazon i want to make sure I'm making the right trade offs when I purchase one.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I got a really stupid question/request which will likely lead to my embarassment. I've played guitar off and on over the years, and also have tinkered with writing music on and off the past couple years as well. What I'd like is some honest critique, and I know I can get that from goons. I'd be more comfortable if just one or two people messaged me via AIM or facebook however and I showed them in person, I'd feel embarrassed hosting it somewhere for the whole internet to pick apart because I know it's probably going to be bad, but I'd still like to know. There's a few catches as well. I'm generally broke and terrible at life, so I have no equipment or experience in recording or producing so I don't have actual music. However, I understand notation pretty well, so I have guitar pro files pretty well notated out so I'd prefer someone who has messed with guitar pro before. That mean's the only examples you'll really get are all in .midi form, if it's even possible to discern how decent a midi will sound as an actual song. As I said I don't know poo poo about this other than I just write poo poo and notate the stuff out in guitar pro mostly because I'll forget how half of it goes if I don't and I just would like a general opinion. Also, I don't know a lot about theory or anything, I don't have a concrete process but what I usually do is start a general riff on guitar I like, tab it out until it sounds mostly right, check what key it's in, and use that key as a reference point for other tracks or harmonies I try to do.

Also for what it's worth the genre I generally go for is melodic death, more on the easier listening with piano and symphonic bits, I guess sort of like Dark Tranquillity or something. I'm aware metal gets made fun of, but it's all I care to generally play(although I listen to a lot of other stuff), so it's all I've attempted to write.

So, anyone who has Guitar Pro that feels like going over 4 or 5 messy files and telling me what you think, hit me up on AIM, BlazinLow305, or if you don't have that, the same handle at gmail. I should be on the next several hours tonight. I apologize if this is a common post you guys get, I generally don't come in here but I'd really like to know if I should take this hobby past occasionally goofing off with it. I've heard and played all this poo poo so much it's lost any meaning for me to have any self awareness of it.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Horror Queefs posted:

I got a really stupid question/request which will likely lead to my embarassment. I've played guitar off and on over the years, and also have tinkered with writing music on and off the past couple years as well. What I'd like is some honest critique, and I know I can get that from goons. I'd be more comfortable if just one or two people messaged me via AIM or facebook however and I showed them in person, I'd feel embarrassed hosting it somewhere for the whole internet to pick apart because I know it's probably going to be bad, but I'd still like to know. There's a few catches as well. I'm generally broke and terrible at life, so I have no equipment or experience in recording or producing so I don't have actual music. However, I understand notation pretty well, so I have guitar pro files pretty well notated out so I'd prefer someone who has messed with guitar pro before. That mean's the only examples you'll really get are all in .midi form, if it's even possible to discern how decent a midi will sound as an actual song. As I said I don't know poo poo about this other than I just write poo poo and notate the stuff out in guitar pro mostly because I'll forget how half of it goes if I don't and I just would like a general opinion. Also, I don't know a lot about theory or anything, I don't have a concrete process but what I usually do is start a general riff on guitar I like, tab it out until it sounds mostly right, check what key it's in, and use that key as a reference point for other tracks or harmonies I try to do.

Also for what it's worth the genre I generally go for is melodic death, more on the easier listening with piano and symphonic bits, I guess sort of like Dark Tranquillity or something. I'm aware metal gets made fun of, but it's all I care to generally play(although I listen to a lot of other stuff), so it's all I've attempted to write.

So, anyone who has Guitar Pro that feels like going over 4 or 5 messy files and telling me what you think, hit me up on AIM, BlazinLow305, or if you don't have that, the same handle at gmail. I should be on the next several hours tonight. I apologize if this is a common post you guys get, I generally don't come in here but I'd really like to know if I should take this hobby past occasionally goofing off with it. I've heard and played all this poo poo so much it's lost any meaning for me to have any self awareness of it.

Just put em on soundcloud dude. No point in cushioning it if it's bad. It's probably not as bad as you think.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Griff Lee posted:

Just put em on soundcloud dude. No point in cushioning it if it's bad. It's probably not as bad as you think.

Well, I was sort of hoping to show the actual GP files to someone so they could see all the tracks and such behind the sound, but anyone with a decent ear for music listening probably wouldn't matter. Like I said, I really only dabbled so far, so even the 3 or 4 best files I have are only 2 or 3 minutes at best of a full song with all the instrumental tracks there, then the whole "why am I listening to a .midi is this for a game" I thought it would be dumb to just generally post it and say here's my poo poo. Now that I've spent a few paragraphs explaining what's going on I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not too worried about being told my writing is poo poo though. I'll see if I can export the GP file to a .midi to upload I guess for one song.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 27, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'll take a listen, I have GP6 and I'll give you all the honest feedback you want. I'll send an email shortly.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I'm not offering to help, since I don't have a ton of free time outside of my own work right now, but I just wanted to post something about the attitude I perceive in your post. You have about five sentences in there saying "I don't know" or "I'm pretty poo poo at" or "I only/just". It seems really negative toward yourself, especially when viewed in context of your post being about not wanting to expose yourself to "the whole internet" because they will ridicule you or whatever.

If there are things you don't feel good about not understanding, or not being good at, the only way to fix that is to start spending more time on it and make efforts to learn. If you just sheepishly ask for critique on something you don't even feel good about yourself, how can you begin to effectively utilize any feedback? Instead of asking like this why not find a basic theory book and start to work through it? Why not take a guitar lesson, or read a book on technique? Share things when you are ready to ask and understand specific questions/statements about them, instead of just saying "here's something I made that probably sucks because I don't really know what I'm doing, please confirm/deny?"

If you've already decided for yourself that it probably sucks you should probably work on building confidence/competence first.

Edit: regardless of genre or style having a foundation in theory will help you make choices and develop a process to writing other than just poking around until it sounds good. A house with a blueprint is going to look better than a house where the carpenter just started nailing boards together.

Crudus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 27, 2014

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wasn't there a ukelele thread? Can't find it, could someone link me?

e: NM finally tracked it down. In case anyone else is wondering:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439

butros fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 30, 2014

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I was wondering if anyone knows what's the name of the string instrument that starts at 0:13 in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaCvz_kLFU

I'm not even sure if it's actually an instruement or just something computer generated.

Highblood fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 3, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think it's a zither.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Sounds a bit more like a hammer dulcimer to me.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Ah yes that must be it, sounds an awful lot like it anyways. Good enough for me. Thanks!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Are there any good podcasts where people explain how they wrote pieces of music, or with thoughtful piece-by-piece analysis of songs?

I already really like Song Exploder: http://songexploder.net/

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a keyboard that has midi in/out. I have a midi cable that can connect to my computer. I have a computer.

How do I make fun music sounds on my computer? I also am broke.

pickitup13
Dec 16, 2005

the posted:

I have a keyboard that has midi in/out. I have a midi cable that can connect to my computer. I have a computer.

While I understand you're broke, you're going to need an audio interface to hook up your keyboard. You can get one for 50-100 bucks that will work from any guitar center or sam ash. You'll also need a program to make your fun music sounds with. While I'm sure there are tons of free programs available, I just don't know what they're called as I use different software myself. Maybe someone can link a good free starting program for him?

And a question of my own:
I'm a solo musician with multiple albums of material recorded. Where would be the proper place to share my material on the forums? I'd like to start getting some feedback from other people. :D

pickitup13 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 21, 2014

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

the posted:

What kind of midi cable do you have, midi to USB? If so, then you won't need an interface, but you will need some kind of DAW (digital audio workstation, i.e. program for making fun music sounds). Ableton and FL Studio (Fruity Loops) have demo versions that you can try but you can't save anything. Google "free DAW" for lots of lists of those.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

pickitup13 posted:

And a question of my own:
I'm a solo musician with multiple albums of material recorded. Where would be the proper place to share my material on the forums? I'd like to start getting some feedback from other people. :D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577195

The Kicktone thread.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Are there any good audio interfaces that just have 6-8 outputs? Or 8 outputs but only one or two inputs? I need a (fairly inexpensive) way to get 8 channels of audio out of a laptop to a mixer, but I don't want to pay for preamps in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

Are there any good audio interfaces that just have 6-8 outputs? Or 8 outputs but only one or two inputs? I need a (fairly inexpensive) way to get 8 channels of audio out of a laptop to a mixer, but I don't want to pay for preamps in the process.

MOTU UltraLite-mk3 is 8-in/8-out, and only two of the ins have mic gain. Used to own a pre-hybrid model (it was FW only). Solid interface with good performance and lots of features.