Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

I’m trying to do everything I can to avoid applying directly through a website/linkedin.

I do not think that is a good strategy.
First, the person you think posted often isn't the right person.
Second, you do realize that at least 3/4 of the companies use resume management CRM-type systems now right? You literally cannot be hired without applying online for many/most companies these days.

Every job posting we put online says "Apply through this link".
If someone contacts me without having done that, I will automatically assume "brain damage".

Following up with a recruiter after you have applied isn't a bad idea. Try to show some value or engagement. "I read on your blog you were focusing on attribution modelling, something I have done here and here" type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Gonna ask again since while I got helpful repliues last time, they weren't exactly what I was wondering about!

I'm graduating in a few months and will start a job at the end of this summer. I've got offer letter signed etc, but haven't formally started work. Should I put this on linked in or not? Right now I have little to put there, and it makes it harder to network for internships etc via linked in, but I'm worried it might be gauche to put the employment in there pre actually starting.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It isn't really germane to Linkedin, imho.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I really love it when online job applications have the option to apply through LinkedIn. It's so incredibly easy and convenient. I just applied to a CS internship that way. I just hope it doesn't look bad to do that instead of the manual way, but hey, I figure that they decided to give that option, so what the heck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I'm a working stiff that got fired from his last job three months ago. I created a LinkedIn account because a job I was applying for with Red Robin has a feature to use information from your profile.

My education can be summed up to an associate's degree and a mountain of credits for an unfinished undergrad in university. I'm mainly trying to find a stable, full-time job in whatever menial labor position I can fill while I ride out my year of residency for in-state tuition. Is having a LinkedIn profile worthwhile for that kind of job search?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Star Man posted:

So I'm a working stiff that got fired from his last job three months ago. I created a LinkedIn account because a job I was applying for with Red Robin has a feature to use information from your profile.

My education can be summed up to an associate's degree and a mountain of credits for an unfinished undergrad in university. I'm mainly trying to find a stable, full-time job in whatever menial labor position I can fill while I ride out my year of residency for in-state tuition. Is having a LinkedIn profile worthwhile for that kind of job search?

What is your asssociate's in? I did absolute jack with my LinkedIn for a long time before starting to work on it and network, so I wouldn't take it down or anything.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's in visual art.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
How common is it for a recruiter to ask very specific questions about compensation and the like?

I am working with one now, and he emailed me a form to fill out. Aside from asking what I am looking to make, it wants current vacation days, benefits, base comp, bonus potential, next merit increase, and if I would consider a counter-offer.

Should I be looking at a recruiter as a partner in the job search, or should I be keeping my guard up here and leaving some fields blank?

I did verbally state my base comp on the phone with him; was that stupid?

Edit: this is a recruiter at a recruiting agency, not an inside recruiter at a company.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Sounds like a bunch of bs, so just put down what you'd like ideally for all of those as they have no legal way to check and make them negotiate from that baseline.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Zarin posted:

How common is it for a recruiter to ask very specific questions about compensation and the like?

I am working with one now, and he emailed me a form to fill out. Aside from asking what I am looking to make, it wants current vacation days, benefits, base comp, bonus potential, next merit increase, and if I would consider a counter-offer.

Should I be looking at a recruiter as a partner in the job search, or should I be keeping my guard up here and leaving some fields blank?

I did verbally state my base comp on the phone with him; was that stupid?

Edit: this is a recruiter at a recruiting agency, not an inside recruiter at a company.

Recruiters make a cut of your salary so they usually have incentive to get the most they can. I am sure this recruiter is asking to they don't send you on an interview where your minimum salary is above the company's threshold.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
They want to know what you're looking for so they don't waste their clients time.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I really don't know where to ask this, so if there is a better place can you direct me there? This Summer I am graduating from College with plans on Grad school in the fall, what I am planning on is getting an internship over the summer. After doing some digging I found a place called Intrax, I haven't heard anything about them, is that a safe route to go since they offer a program overseas in Public Policy?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That looks like one of those ones where you pay for an internship placement, yeah? I doubt it's a scam, if that's what you're thinking, but for the price, you'll probably be better off arranging something on your own. I'm also skeptical about those place's ability to secure useful internships, but that's just my assumption.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Xandu posted:

That looks like one of those ones where you pay for an internship placement, yeah? I doubt it's a scam, if that's what you're thinking, but for the price, you'll probably be better off arranging something on your own. I'm also skeptical about those place's ability to secure useful internships, but that's just my assumption.

Yeah the price from the room and board and stuff is 7,500. I'm just trying to find something overseas in the internship department, so I am pretty clueless on where to look.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tai-Pan posted:

Recruiters make a cut of your salary so they usually have incentive to get the most they can. I am sure this recruiter is asking to they don't send you on an interview where your minimum salary is above the company's threshold.

Ya, I usually give a 10-15k range which seems wide enough to not screw me but at least makes sure its ballpark with what they're looking for regarding pay. No expert though, just what I've found easiest.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
As I am applying to jobs through LinkedIn, should I try and connect with the person who posted the job right after applying? I know a lot of times the people who posted the jobs are probably not even the people that will be reviewing any of the material.

Of course, the goal of connecting is two-fold: to increase connections, and to send the person a message immediately after they accept, to express my interest in the position.

I'm thinking perhaps I should connect with a person situationally, depending on how it looks like they use LinkedIn. 500+ connections? You bet I'm hitting that button. Less than 200? Maybe not.

Does this seem like a good strategy, or am I completely missing something?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Since Bright was acquired by LinkedIn, do you think LI will be scoring resumes for jobs? Will it allow recruiters to filter based on a score?

Is this something we're going to have to figure out how to min/max and game like.. well.. goons?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

meanieface posted:

Since Bright was acquired by LinkedIn, do you think LI will be scoring resumes for jobs? Will it allow recruiters to filter based on a score?

Is this something we're going to have to figure out how to min/max and game like.. well.. goons?

No. Alternatively, let's wait and see.

Zarin posted:

As I am applying to jobs through LinkedIn, should I try and connect with the person who posted the job right after applying? I know a lot of times the people who posted the jobs are probably not even the people that will be reviewing any of the material.

Of course, the goal of connecting is two-fold: to increase connections, and to send the person a message immediately after they accept, to express my interest in the position.

I'm thinking perhaps I should connect with a person situationally, depending on how it looks like they use LinkedIn. 500+ connections? You bet I'm hitting that button. Less than 200? Maybe not.

Does this seem like a good strategy, or am I completely missing something?

Personally, I think you're on the right track. That's more or less my own thought process. Making that personal connection is what Linkedin is all about, in regards to job hunting. The bigger and better impression you can make, the more beneficial.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

No. Alternatively, let's wait and see.

Personally, I think you're on the right track. That's more or less my own thought process. Making that personal connection is what Linkedin is all about, in regards to job hunting. The bigger and better impression you can make, the more beneficial.

I agree. If your profile is up to snuff you want people to explore it and you want them to have you at the front of their mind. Alternately, if you want someone to be aware of you but for some reason you're hesitant to connect to that person (or it won't let you) then just view their profile so that they get that notification. Make sure your settings will fully reveal wjo you are tho. I've done that and then caught them looking back. I also connected to a potential hiring manager when I wanted them talking about me and found out later that I did it at the exact right moment and injected myself deep into the conversation just when I needed to. Its a powerful tool when used smartly.

To be as bold as I could I actually shared some articles on LI once that connection confirmed so that, if they saw it, they would yet a sense of who I was and what I was thinking about. It was something that related both to my then-current role but also to what I felt I offered them. I guess if I were actively posting on LI in the thought-leadership style I would have been doing that anyway but this was more of a focused attempt to get that hiring manager to think "hmm I like what he's about..." Don't know if that particular tactic landed but I did get the job so it certainly didn't hurt.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Here's a link to an example of a practice that is probably fairly rare, but it may serve as a cautionary tale to some.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...cal-job-seekers

Kelly Blazek, the subject of this article posted:

how about starting with NOT presuming I would share my nearly 1,000 personally-known LinkedIn contacts with a TOTAL stranger? How bush league to pull that stunt. It's what kids do - ask senior executives to link in to them, so they can mine contacts for job leads. That's tacky, not to mention entitled - what in the world do I derive from accepting a stranger's connection request? You earned a "I Don't Know ______" from me today, for such an assumptive move. Please learn that a LinkedIn connection is the equivalent of a personal recommendation. If I haven't heard of someone, met them, or worked with them, why would I ever vouch for them on LinkedIn?

One thing I'm always wary of is people who seem to make most of their living off of LinkedIn connections. As far as I can tell that's the only time you are going to run into a reaction like this.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The LinkedIn rear end in a top hat is a real creature but that woman also needs to die in a loving fire

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

spacejung posted:

Here's a link to an example of a practice that is probably fairly rare, but it may serve as a cautionary tale to some.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...cal-job-seekers

One thing I'm always wary of is people who seem to make most of their living off of LinkedIn connections. As far as I can tell that's the only time you are going to run into a reaction like this.

This is more just someone initiating their own personal social media catastrophe. Also, if it's not a recruiter I am not really into the whole unsolicited connection thing. I know of few people outside of recruiters who really even give a poo poo about their LinkedIn accounts, and not all recruiters do either. I have had recruiters who post Facebook-y updates to their feed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm currently doing one of those one-month free LinkedIn account upgrade trial offers. It's worth noting that one of the features is being able to use InMail to make unsolicited connection requests.

At this point, the whole "don't network with people you don't know" line coming from LinkedIn is finely powdered bullshit.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
I'm trying to get back into the whole LinkedIn deal. I've made an effort before but I've ended up making little progress. I'm mostly focusing on finding jobs in two areas:

1) Startups. Any sort of startup. I'm in San Francisco, so it's a hotbed. But there aren't a ton of startups recruiting on LinkedIn to my knowledge.

2) something in the games/tech industry.

Problem is, unless it's programming or design (which I don't know) or customer support (which I hate), I'm not picky. I'm REEEEEALLY not picky. Possibly to a fault. Could it be a problem that I'm open to exploration of drat near everything? Sales, PR, operations, biz dev, etc. My focus is to get out of retail and do something different.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

PrivateEyeball posted:

I'm trying to get back into the whole LinkedIn deal. I've made an effort before but I've ended up making little progress. I'm mostly focusing on finding jobs in two areas:

1) Startups. Any sort of startup. I'm in San Francisco, so it's a hotbed. But there aren't a ton of startups recruiting on LinkedIn to my knowledge.

2) something in the games/tech industry.

Problem is, unless it's programming or design (which I don't know) or customer support (which I hate), I'm not picky. I'm REEEEEALLY not picky. Possibly to a fault. Could it be a problem that I'm open to exploration of drat near everything? Sales, PR, operations, biz dev, etc. My focus is to get out of retail and do something different.

Angel.co has a lot of startup type jobs. Mostly programmers, but the occasional "other" stuff too.

The unfortunate thing for you is being really not picky is not a skill in high demand. Look back at your work, school, and personal history and try and create a believable story of where you've been and where you want to go. Maybe that's Sales, PR, or who knows, but the only thing that matters is whether or not it's plausible to the hiring manager.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DukAmok posted:

The unfortunate thing for you is being really not picky is not a skill in high demand. Look back at your work, school, and personal history and try and create a believable story of where you've been and where you want to go. Maybe that's Sales, PR, or who knows, but the only thing that matters is whether or not it's plausible to the hiring manager.

To expound on this, there is nothing that says you can't cherry-pick your experience to craft a sales-focused resume AND a PR-focused one AND a ... etc.

LinkedIn might be a bit trickier, because everybody only sees the one document, but I went with the approach of "put everything on there and put the most attention-getting stuff at the top".

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

PrivateEyeball posted:

1) Startups. Any sort of startup. I'm in San Francisco, ....focus is to get out of retail and do something different.

I would really start by trying to focus on what you can actually do. "Retail" isn't a skill that startups will need. Furthermore, most startups (depending on how you define it) won't have the money, time or ability to train someone in specific area.
If you can hack retail, you might be able to stomach sales, so you could tailor your resume that way.

The number one "backdoor" job in startups is, surprisingly, office manager. I personally know four office managers that have gone on to other things (2 are in HR now, one is in project management and the other is in client services).
In a growing startup (sub 40 people) the office manger gets to support numerous areas, giving them a nature way to transition.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, I told the phone screener I was looking for "stability" as a reason for changing jobs, and she started talking about their recent layoffs at the company. Um, thanks?

Maybe I need a different answer.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

For startup jobs, some companies occasionally post in Hacker News. More importantly though, you need to utterly immerse yourself in the 'scene' and make a reputation for yourself. That means lots of good posts on StackExchange, code pushes on Github, etc.

As said above, they're not going to have any desire to train you. You need to show your cred in technology stacks that they care about so they know you can hit the ground running. This means you need to keep up-to-date on the languages/packages of the month and be proficient in full-stack solutions depending on how early in the process you want to get in.

Basically, go make Hacker News your tech news site of choice and go from there.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Hey here's what not to do on LinkedIn: Find a guy who works as a designer in marketing in a foreign outpost of a huge financial firm and ask him over and over if he'll arrange for the firm to invest in your vague startup. Not only can he not help you but the conversation is probably against some fine print in his terms of employment!

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Just wanna say thank for setting up the Stairmasters group. It's been extremely useful for opening up geographical area so I can get closer in degrees to people I might have never found otherwise.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

PrivateEyeball posted:

In support of my earlier post, this popped up today on Hacker News:

Intern at a YCombinator company

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014
I've gotten a few messages and connection requests the last few days about jobs that seem pretty interesting, but I don't want to change jobs right now. What's the standard practice for that situation?

I was thinking I should reply with something like "Hey, Job X sounds interesting, but I'm not up for a job change right now. I'd like to connect though, so we can work together when I am looking for a new job"? I tried that last time an internal recruiter messaged me about a job. Then one of his coworkers emailed me to schedule an interview, and got really annoyed about me being "indecisive" when I told him I wasn't looking for a new job.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
You can reply with a negative or simply ignore it. It's literally less socially acceptable to harass or otherwise provoke a response from someone than it is to simply ignore unwanted solicitation.

Actually, that is a great way to see it--think of it as an advertisement on TV, because that's essentially what it is. Do you reply with a negative to every ad you see on TV? Of course not, so don't sweat it.

It is however a great way to forge initial connections with almost zero-effort on your part though, it should also be said. Acknowledging someone's unsolicited inquiry is a pretty good way to show you value them; a polite thanks but no thanks will almost certainly make a positive impression on the sender.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that connections were pretty liberal and not something that you only asked from people you actually knew IRL. Just started an account, and its full with pic, so not just some spam account... but I've already been temporarily restricted :/

I've only added people that I either actually know, or that could look at my profile and tell right away why I would be interested in a connection. Is this normal? Sucks since I was getting into it and actually need a job!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

moflika posted:

I was under the impression that connections were pretty liberal and not something that you only asked from people you actually knew IRL.

This has been debated in this thread already.
I am very much on the side of NEVER connect with people you don't know, unless it is a recruiter (either freelance or with a company in which you are interested).

Other people disagree with me, but as you have seen, constantly reaching out to people you don't know and, I presume, don't have a reason to connect with you, will just make them hit the "spam" button on you.

Frankly, I still don't understand what people expect to do with these fake connections. Its not like when you apply for the job the internal person is going to vouch for you or even offer any sort of recommendation.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Tai-Pan posted:

Frankly, I still don't understand what people expect to do with these fake connections. Its not like when you apply for the job the internal person is going to vouch for you or even offer any sort of recommendation.

You show up on more searches, for one. It's more of a passive benefit than an active one.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Tai-Pan posted:

This has been debated in this thread already.
I am very much on the side of NEVER connect with people you don't know, unless it is a recruiter (either freelance or with a company in which you are interested).

Other people disagree with me, but as you have seen, constantly reaching out to people you don't know and, I presume, don't have a reason to connect with you, will just make them hit the "spam" button on you.

Yeah, I get your point of view. Everyone I contacted was either someone I actually knew, or someone that is related to the industry/area that I'm involved in. I've got 3 years of exp to back it up, but was just trying to connect with people in different parts of the world.

Made enough sense to me, I guess :/

After looking around it seems like I either got labeled a spammer, or was "too active". The latter seems really weak.

Cranbe posted:

You show up on more searches, for one. It's more of a passive benefit than an active one.

Basically, this.

Since I'm focusing on a niche that is full of small, young companies, I figured that they would look for talent themselves amongst people they are connected to. Not with recruiters.

moflika fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2014

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
More changes rolled out to the site recently that have now even further increased the number of places Linkedin puts pressure on you directly to increase the size of your network. They are flat out telling you themselves that every new connection helps you at minimum to increase your visibility to others.

If there was any doubt remaining that the site really means to have an implied "... but only if you know them in REAL LIFE!" tacked on to the end of that in every place you see it, I think it should be fading quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Question on location: let's say I want to move from the area I'm currently living in (and employed), and have narrowed it down to a few locations. 1) Should I change my location to reflect where I want to go, not where I am? 2) How would you choose which location to put there?

• Locked thread