Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

pd187 posted:

Pretty sure we both thought somebody calling a bunch of paranoid/xenophobic memes "progressive feminist macros that embrace multiculturalism" was a parody of right-wing/libertarian gun nuts who clumsily try to co-opt feminism, not the actual opinions of an actual gun nut.

It is amazing how classic identity mistakes can drive comedy, for all participants. Tell me more hiliarious things about myself, please, I already have a drink ready for spit-takes. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
New page, new content!!

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

pd187 posted:

New page, new content!!

Woo! Sick burn, Garf! High Five! Keep hating those Mondays and liberals!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

But Garfield doesn't work and instead lives on handouts from a hardworking everyman. He's totally an Obama voter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rosalind posted:

But Garfield doesn't work and instead lives on handouts from a hardworking everyman. He's totally an Obama voter.

The only moral lasagna is my lasagna.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

pd187 posted:

New page, new content!!
I'm making some assumptions about the origins of those images:

Outspoken Internet Republicans probably are pretty close to Garfield in terms of physique and real-life impact on the world. Also age, considering he's a 35-year-old cat and young people don't find Garfield relevant to things beyond fat/lazy/grumpy references. He's been around about as long as the average American has, and he's not going to start a revolution, ever. He will continue to complain, impotently, until he dies having achieved nothing.

A good macro.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Says a lot about the subjective nature of comedy, doesn't it?

Here, have some political content:

With the exception of Maryland those are basically a collection of the worst states in the union minus Florida and Arizona.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

This is the number one reason I cannot wait for the 2016 cycle to hit full swing. I'm almost positive we've heard this for the last 8 years now as a sarcastic gotcha quip, and it is beyond worn out. We get it, you think it's some sort of sick burn except you don't at all consider what the alternative would've been and most of his voters would probably admit that Obama has done things they liked and things they disliked, even without factoring in virtually unprecedented obstructionism from you assholes even on issues he basically took from your handbook because now suddenly they are the definition of Communism. I don't regret voting for him in 2008 and he obviously is not leftist enough for my tastes but he sure as hell isn't McCain or Romney, and I'll take the small steps of progress I can get where I can get them.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

This is the number one reason I cannot wait for the 2016 cycle to hit full swing. I'm almost positive we've heard this for the last 8 years now as a sarcastic gotcha quip, and it is beyond worn out. We get it, you think it's some sort of sick burn except you don't at all consider what the alternative would've been and most of his voters would probably admit that Obama has done things they liked and things they disliked, even without factoring in virtually unprecedented obstructionism from you assholes even on issues he basically took from your handbook because now suddenly they are the definition of Communism. I don't regret voting for him in 2008 and he obviously is not leftist enough for my tastes but he sure as hell isn't McCain or Romney, and I'll take the small steps of progress I can get where I can get them.

I always like seeing the one with the picture of Bush and the caption "miss me yet?" underneath. You know cause everyone is pining for the Bush years.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Axetrain posted:

I always like seeing the one with the picture of Bush and the caption "miss me yet?" underneath. You know cause everyone is pining for the Bush years.
Ever time I get reminded of some of the poo poo that happened with the Bush administration I think, "Wow, it really was that bad." There are plenty of problems with Obama, but a lot of the big ones are things that McCain or Romney would've done even harder. If you think drone strikes should stop, welp, no actual Presidential candidate for you in 2012. Some people were unironically behind Obama 100%, just like some people were fully behind Bush and Romney and so on, but for a whole lot of people he was just the lesser evil, especially in 2012.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Guilty Spork posted:

Ever time I get reminded of some of the poo poo that happened with the Bush administration I think, "Wow, it really was that bad."

Like waking up with a hangover. Holy poo poo... Did I invade Iraq last night?

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

sweart gliwere posted:

I'm making some assumptions about the origins of those images:

Outspoken Internet Republicans probably are pretty close to Garfield in terms of physique and real-life impact on the world. Also age, considering he's a 35-year-old cat and young people don't find Garfield relevant to things beyond fat/lazy/grumpy references. He's been around about as long as the average American has, and he's not going to start a revolution, ever. He will continue to complain, impotently, until he dies having achieved nothing.

A good macro.

http://righttruth.typepad.com/right_truth/2012/03/garfield-on-the-oil-crisis.html

quote:

GARFIELD ON THE OIL CRISIS

YOU GOTTA LOVE GARFIELD 'S EXPLANATION -- TOO CUTE & ALSO TOO TRUE!!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Guilty Spork posted:

Ever time I get reminded of some of the poo poo that happened with the Bush administration I think, "Wow, it really was that bad." There are plenty of problems with Obama, but a lot of the big ones are things that McCain or Romney would've done even harder. If you think drone strikes should stop, welp, no actual Presidential candidate for you in 2012. Some people were unironically behind Obama 100%, just like some people were fully behind Bush and Romney and so on, but for a whole lot of people he was just the lesser evil, especially in 2012.

I got douche chills when I saw the return of "24" on television this fall.

Everything about that time period was pretty evil. The music (mainstream that is) sucked, TV was pretty awful (with a few exceptions) and especially the military-industrial complex getting paid.

Patton Oswalt's theory on us all being in an "Alternate Earth" seemed pretty accurate now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0yNDgPTgI

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I Am The Scum posted:

At least once a decade. "Hey, El Salvador, I didn't do anything crazy when I was high on conservatism last night, did I? Oh...oh God, really all your nuns? Priests too? Oh my God I am so sorry. Wait hold on, Iran is on the other line...hello? Mustard gas? Holy poo poo I don't even remember getting that poo poo out! "

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Axetrain posted:

With the exception of Maryland those are basically a collection of the worst states in the union minus Florida and Arizona.

No, I can attest to Maryland's awfulness. Tennessee is alright though, especially the major metropolitan areas.

And, I may be missing something… why Garfield? Like, of all things on earth? Is it really just because it's a cute thing you see with snarky captions, and these were half-assed mimicries of that?

Lemma fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 21, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Everything about that time period was pretty evil. The music (mainstream that is) sucked, TV was pretty awful (with a few exceptions) and especially the military-industrial complex getting paid.

Patton Oswalt's theory on us all being in an "Alternate Earth" seemed pretty accurate now:

Clearly this is the darkest timeline.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Been awhile since I've seen this one on my feed but someone posted it today.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The difference is no one blamed that white kid for his own murder and the guy who did it was arrested within days.

gently caress anyone that posts that poo poo, it's disrespectful to both of those kids (obviously more so to one).

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Let me guess, one was charged with murder and found guilty by a jury?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Zerilan posted:

Well for one thing Lion's killer was found guilty and is currently serving life in prison.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 21, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also I'm sure you could find some national news articles about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's odd how "sensational big story" is the only qualifier for media coverage. I'm assuming that people who think this way also tend to regard the local news' nightly shootings and murder list as important information.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's more that they are offended that people are insinuating that America has two different justice systems where one type of person is treated much worse so the only way to react is to try and find examples of "reverse racism" but as in this case, since they don't get it at all, can only find stuff that strengthens to point the are arguing against.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lmao Marley Lion? is he Jamaican?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

FuzzySkinner posted:

If my children or grandchildren ask what the Bush admin was like, I'll play the movie "American Dreamz" for them. Then say "like that, but not funny."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lemma posted:

And, I may be missing something… why Garfield? Like, of all things on earth? Is it really just because it's a cute thing you see with snarky captions, and these were half-assed mimicries of that?

He was designed from the ground up as the most cynically markettable thing ever created, and succeeded by appealling to the lowest common denominator despite his creator not having an ounce of talent or skill. That sort of thing would hugely appeal to Convervatives.

I Am The Scum posted:

Robin Williams put it best.

"The last thing I remember was, the economy was working and we had a surplus. What happened to Clinton?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOE5ztEHFeY

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Serious question that all the Benghazi grumbling in this thread made me consider: what would the Republican reaction have been if 9/11 had happened while a Democrat was in office? Or: Why do Republicans mostly get a pass over the fact that they were in charge when it happened?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The President would be too busy fighting impeachment to knock over any countries, and accusations of a false flag would have defeated any moves toward wiretapping.

God drat it, I wish Gore had won.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

prom candy posted:

Serious question that all the Benghazi grumbling in this thread made me consider: what would the Republican reaction have been if 9/11 had happened while a Democrat was in office? Or: Why do Republicans mostly get a pass over the fact that they were in charge when it happened?

There was some squabbling trying to blame Clinton's supposedly lax anti-terror stance as I recall. But ultimately, it was Obama's election and the rise of the Tea Party that sent the Republican Party off the deep end so the reaction wouldn't have been as severe as the reaction to Benghazi or any other "scandal" has been.

EDIT: Gore would probably not have been able to get with half the poo poo Bush got away with though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

The President would be too busy fighting impeachment to knock over any countries, and accusations of a false flag would have defeated any moves toward wiretapping.

God drat it, I wish Gore had won.

This is the mirror universe, man. Bad Ending. Darkest timeline.

:smith:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

hamster_style posted:

Cousin re-posted this from the Tea Party page. I've already hammered on the Hitler gun control thing every other time he's re-posted a "Hitler == Barack HUSSEIN Obama" and it never seems to sink in. Was King George III really in favor of gun control?

Edit: Beaten to the punch, hard.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

He was designed from the ground up as the most cynically markettable thing ever created, and succeeded by appealling to the lowest common denominator despite his creator not having an ounce of talent or skill. That sort of thing would hugely appeal to Convervatives.

The only redeeming thing about Garfield is that his cartoons are hilarious if you use a photo editing tool to delete Garfield from them entirely., or erase his speech bubbles to make him mute.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Mister Bates posted:

The only redeeming thing about Garfield is that his cartoons are hilarious if you use a photo editing tool to delete Garfield from them entirely., or erase his speech bubbles to make him mute.

there's a webcomic that is literally this, so either you don't know about it and would like it or you made a really odd reference to it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Don't forget Garfield as Garfield!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Jim Davis might play the marketing game, but the 80s/90s Garfield animated specials (and to a lesser extent the series) were good. I think he just got tired and is phoning it in in a medium that traditionally encourages that sort of thing

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He's admitted several times he's been phoning it in his entire career.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
To credit Jim Davis, his callous phoning in of it was impeccably executed, which requires a different sort of skill, and he hasn't used it to forward horrible ideas, or do anything proactive to destroy he medium. It would be interesting to find out what his favorite comics are.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Bloom County and Doonesbury.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

This is incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

andrew smash posted:

there's a webcomic that is literally this, so either you don't know about it and would like it or you made a really odd reference to it.

Welp, I know what I'm wasting my evening reading.