Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cowabanga posted:

Do pistols not get an accuracy penalty for moving like shotguns? I feel like I'm still pretty accurate while moving but being more accurate is always fun.

It's a small accuracy penalty, but quite noticeable if you're clicking fire a lot or trying to sharpshoot someone's head while moving. Light stutterstepping always helps a lot when engaging with a secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Are there many euro goons in the steam group? I've only done three mm games because all my online buds play dota now, so I only play pubs. I think the US players play too late for me.

I won two of my three mm games and finished top in all three, but other than those I haven't played 5v5 since pre-1.6, and I forgot how much I enjoyed them.

Whatup, though you know I don't really play 5v5 lol.

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013
Did my first goonman today. Despite being terrible, never having played the map and having ping spikes of over 300 everyone was pretty patient with me. It was more fun than MM and radically different being on a team that talked.

On a separate note I did a few MM games after turning my sensitivity down, playing more cautiously to compensate for generally slower reactions. It made a huge difference to mid range accuracy and I am totally converted. Now i just need a huge mousepad.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Iriquois posted:

It made a huge difference to mid range accuracy and I am totally converted.

You have not been "converted," you are simply "not wrong any more."

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've flipped enough weapons and knives to build up some good steambux. Now I think I want a battle scarred crimson web knife because of the bloodstained look. But not sure which variety. Bayonet looks nice, though..

RadioPassive posted:

You have not been "converted," you are simply "not wrong any more."

I'd say converted. I play with a much higher sens than the majority of players (2.0, 800dpi) and I just did this..

Ended in a forfeit, which I guess happens in a teamstack, but still, I wouldn't get that score with a lower sens, because I'm not comfortable with it. Lots of people don't understand that yet, I suppose. Comfort matters most, not the lowest sensitivity!

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 21, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That's like saying a controller isn't worse for FPS, it's just different, it's all about preference :downs:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Lemming posted:

That's like saying a controller isn't worse for FPS, it's just different

No, it's not like saying that. At all. I'm sorry. :/

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
here comes the preference vs It's Literally Better conversation mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

btw 2.0 sens @ 800 dpi owns. i put my time in at 1.2 @ 450dpi. now i'm slowly raising it up from 1.0 @ 800 towards 2.0 @ 800 and i like it way better.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I think you can make a good argument for saying that, on average, lower sensitivity is better. And it's definitely something I'd suggest at least trying to a newcomer to cs:go. But I think that individual preference and familiarity can play a big part too.

There are definitely people at the pro level with high sensitivities who are better than us all. So there's that too.

-edit- I just realize, I haven't looked at my mouse sense in a while, and it's set at 3.0 and 800. I wonder if the values got reset some time ago, and I just never realize it.... Guess i'll have to do some fiddling.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Apogee15 posted:

I think you can make a good argument for saying that, on average, lower sensitivity is better. But I think that individual preference and familiarity can play a big part too.

There are definitely people at the pro level with high sensitivities who are better than us all. So there's that too.
I really wish this conversation would just die. The bottom line is, when you look at appropriate sensitivities, there needs to be a range, not a magic number. 2.0 at 800 (or 900 like me) DPI might be on the HIGH side of "normally low" but it's still going to be fine if you can adjust to it.

But I think we should all just never mention sensitivity again.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Coleman posted:

I really wish this conversation would just die. The bottom line is, when you look at appropriate sensitivities, there needs to be a range, not a magic number. 2.0 at 800 (or 900 like me) DPI might be on the HIGH side of "normally low" but it's still going to be fine if you can adjust to it.

But I think we should all just never mention sensitivity again.

You just hate anything people argue over, don't you? =(

I enjoy a good argument. Or a bad one too, I guess. Yeah, I guess I just like arguing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

I enjoy a good argument. Or a bad one too, I guess. Yeah, I guess I just like arguing.

gently caress you, arguing sucks and people who like it suck.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I am looking into a new mouse. I have always wanted to splurge on a good mouse but I have never really had the disposable income. Now that I do I want one that comes highly recommended. I completely realize that a good player is what determines skill here, and even if I buy a million dollar mouse I will still be just as poo poo as if I hadn't but is the DeathAdder as good as they say?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I completely realize that a good player is what determines skill here, and even if I buy a million dollar mouse I will still be just as poo poo as if I hadn't but is the DeathAdder as good as they say?
Yes

quote:

No

I was firmly in the "lol deathadders are dumb as poo poo" camp for a really long time, and then my steelseries sensei broke and some goons finally convinced me to get a deathadder and it was actually as good as advertised.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

astr0man posted:

Yes

No

I was firmly in the "lol deathadders are dumb as poo poo" camp for a really long time, and then my steelseries sensei broke and some goons finally convinced me to get a deathadder and it was actually as good as advertised.

Thanks thats all I need to hear, picking one up after work.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I really like my G9x from logitech. Had a G9, and it broke after about 4 months, and they replaced it with the g9x which i've been using for about 3 years now.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Apogee15 posted:

No, I actually enjoy arguments to the point where people get annoyed with me over it. But the sensitivity one is repeated every other week in this thread, and the two sides will never change their opinions. "You should be at this exact sensitivity no matter what" and "it's all preference".

Also: I love my Deathadder, though to be fair, I've never used another gaming mouse.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I enjoy a good poo poo but I don't walk into a room and start chugging prune juice and coffee and eating celery until I am making GBS threads and I lost this analogy somewhere but don't argue about sensitivity

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
At least we can all agree that mouse acceleration is terrible.

(we can't even agree on that)

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I have had a Logitech MX518 for about 6 years now, love the thing to death.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

astr0man posted:

At least we can all agree that mouse acceleration is terrible.

(we can't even agree on that)

The day on the server when someone realized that "Enhance Pointer Precision" in Windows was mouse acceleration, and you immediately heard 6 different people say, "OH MY GOD I HAD IT ON THE WHOLE TIME!" will go down as one of my top 5 days on the Goon server to date.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Guys stop throwing me mixed signals, I am super indecisive about fanciful purchases.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Guys stop throwing me mixed signals, I am super indecisive about fanciful purchases.

Just buy either? I've used both, they're both solid.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

here comes the preference vs It's Literally Better conversation mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

btw 2.0 sens @ 800 dpi owns. i put my time in at 1.2 @ 450dpi. now i'm slowly raising it up from 1.0 @ 800 towards 2.0 @ 800 and i like it way better.

Here's a sick config, but don't share it pls

volume .3
brightness 2
bind mwheeldown +jump
voice_enable 1
crosshair 1
bind ` toggleconsole
rate 1488
cl_cmdrate 69
fps_max 420

ScienceAndMusic posted:

The DeathAdder 2013 is probably the only Razer product that 1- I would spend money on and 2- isn't overrated by nerds, imo. It's a good mouse if you want to change from what you're using and like the MS 3.0 shape. Another option is the Zowie EC1 which you can get for slightly cheaper through MonoPrice http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140101&p_id=10230&seq=1&format=2

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Coleman posted:

The day on the server when someone realized that "Enhance Pointer Precision" in Windows was mouse acceleration, and you immediately heard 6 different people say, "OH MY GOD I HAD IT ON THE WHOLE TIME!" will go down as one of my top 5 days on the Goon server to date.

So this is why you're all so terrible. :getin:

Also, great config right there face; very groundbreaking. But I prefer a rate of 80085 as the goonman server forces at least 80k. I second the DA being the only good Razer product.

Gristley Bear fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 21, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ScienceAndMusic posted:

SteelSeries Rival is the best built mouse I've ever owned and I'm coming from a piece of poo poo DeathAdder (Black Edition).

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I am looking into a new mouse. I have always wanted to splurge on a good mouse but I have never really had the disposable income. Now that I do I want one that comes highly recommended. I completely realize that a good player is what determines skill here, and even if I buy a million dollar mouse I will still be just as poo poo as if I hadn't but is the DeathAdder as good as they say?

Just buy a Kana. It's a good mouse with a not ridiculous price point.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Diplomat posted:

I have had a Logitech MX518 for about 6 years now, love the thing to death.

Noob mouse. Has angle snapping. Avoid.

I've had mine for 8 years.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

The Joe Man posted:

SteelSeries Rival is the best built mouse I've ever owned and I'm coming from a piece of poo poo DeathAdder (Black Edition).

I switched from an mx518 to a rival and it took some getting used to but I like it as well.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Gristley Bear posted:

So this is why you're all so terrible. :getin:
(I wasn't one of them.) :smug:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Operation Phoenix is live :siren:

http://www.counter-strike.net/operationphoenix/

[ OPERATION PHOENIX ]
- Started Operation Phoenix http://www.counter-strike.net/operationphoenix/
- Operation Phoenix Passes are available for purchase. They provide access to:
-- Eight maps, chosen by the community, available on official CS:GO matchmaking for all game modes.
-- An upgradable Operation Coin, that tracks all competitive matchmaking statistics for the duration of the event.
-- Exclusive access to the new Operation Phoenix Case, with 13 Community-Created Weapon Finishes.

[MISC]
- Teammate Colors:
-- Added convar cl_color to allow players to set their preferred teammate color index.
-- Renamed teammate colors convar to cl_teammate_colors_show and added option to display Color Letters over teammate colors in competitive ("cl_teammate_colors_show 2").
-- Teammate preferred color can now be chosen when in a lobby and displays above player avatars.
- Damage can no longer be done to teammates during a freeze period in any mode.
- Fixed cs_baggage skybox texture.
- Fixed cl_draw_only_deathnotices 1 and cl_teamid_overhead 0 not hiding the overhead player arrows.
- Fixed player flair icons getting cropped on avatars in the lobby.

[Aug and SG556]
- Scope dot no longer fades too quickly during online play.
- Scope dot is slightly more visible against bright backgrounds.
- Scope dot is now tinted using the player's crosshair color settings.

[MAPS]
- Overpass
-- Smoothed out movement on truck in Bombsite A
-- Simplified cover in bombsite B
-- Removed some trees in upper park
-- Smoothed out ground in canal
-- Removed small walls near playground entrance
-- Tweaked cover in playground
-- Small fence at birthday area no longer block bullets/grenades
-- Simplified corridor to CT sniper position
-- Improved player visibility
-- Improved performance

- Nuke
-- Made wallbanging through large metal doors consistent
-- Added back pretty lighting in bombsite B
-- Made it possible to throw grenades through skylights in warehouse
-- Fixed some graphical bugs

[NETWORK]
- Added support for threaded socket processing on clients and servers.
- Significantly reduced the size of client connect packet to be below MTU.
- Optimized split packet processing sequence.
- Client address is no longer transmitted in official game events or saved in official GOTV demos.
- Client P2P NAT requests are now always rejected when connected to a game server.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 21, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Guess I'm playing tonight after all!

Barehanded Brother posted:

ernie are you more fun to play CS with than mafia y/n

This question assumes I have a different setting from "the smartest, most talented, most interesting person in the world"!! :colbert:

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 21, 2014

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wait, so there's not a single new map? We're paying for all recycled maps?

Fuckers.

Edit: Why does the art show a CT using a Tec-9?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
When are they going to add Cache to the regular map rotation so I never have to play these terrible poo poo hostage maps ever again?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

That AK skin :cult:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Fuckers.

yeah..

obviously cache is the only map that's actually worth playing out of any of them, but there are plenty of poo poo maps with high res textures on the workshop, i don't see why any of the creators of these poo poo maps are deserving of getting paid twice for the same poo poo map, rather than paying a new map maker for his poo poo map.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The coin looks quite like an old game logo. For that reason alone, I'm in.

The skins are okay I guess.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Dvsilverwing posted:

Fuckers.

Edit: Why does the art show a CT using a Tec-9?

The joke is that they didn't need to make the maps in the first place
they don't even have to look very long because the best ones are voted to the top anyway
valve had to do almost nothing except change the names on the checks.
they
didnt
even
do
that

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
I am probably going to spend far more than I should on the Redline AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The AWP looks like a nerf gun

• Locked thread