Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I could be remembering wrong, but I'm fairly certain B99 DOESNT do talking heads and isn't a mockumentary format, though it does kind of have a loosy Goosy cinema verite style camerawork. But there's no awareness of cameras. (Again, as far as I remember)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I could be remembering wrong, but I'm fairly certain B99 DOESNT do talking heads and isn't a mockumentary format, though it does kind of have a loosy Goosy cinema verite style camerawork. But there's no awareness of cameras. (Again, as far as I remember)

You are correct. It's cinema verite but no awareness of cameras. It's also the best new comedy and is very similar to Parks and Rec. Everyone should watch it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think at this point we shouldn't call this format mockumentary any more unless they specifically acknowledge the fact that it is.
Just see it as a comedy show with talking heads.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Zedd posted:

I think at this point we shouldn't call this format mockumentary any more unless they specifically acknowledge the fact that it is.

As an aside, the best mockumentary I've ever seen was Drop Dead Gorgeous. It's hilarious and biting.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I think I would be satisfied if that was the last ep of Parks and Rec.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

El Tortuga posted:

There is the odd opening to season three which begins with a voice-over going "Leslie Knope is blah, blah, blah...", which they've never done anything like again.

I think that was because it was off the air for a bit longer than usual (season started in January), and wanted to bring in new viewers up to speed. Also explains why it's a shortened season compared to 2,4,5,6.

I can definitely see this show ending next season, I just want a final arc to wrap it up. There's NOTHING on the horizon as to what that will be. And Bill Murray as Mayor- as per creators wishes.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Zedd posted:

Yeah, it's as if people think 'addressing the audience' or perhaps '...while seated' was somehow invented by The Office, and there can be no other explanation than to wrap a 'shooting a documentary' framework around the entire thing.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

WoG posted:

Yeah, it's as if people think 'addressing the audience' or perhaps '...while seated' was somehow invented by The Office, and there can be no other explanation than to wrap a 'shooting a documentary' framework around the entire thing.

Well, as Mike Schur said, they were really picky about how it worked on The Office because they were trying to essentially teach a new structural language to the public at large. Now that that language is accepted and used in places, they can have more fun with it, but at the same time, people are still likely to refer to it by how the learned of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How can anybody say with a straight face that the actors/characters never acknowledge the camera when they literally look into the camera and speak to the viewer in every single episode?

It's a mockumentary-format show, but has no intention of drawing attention to or justifying its format beyond doing talking heads and one reference at the end of the pilot. But it is still a mockumentary show.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
In the first episode of this season there's a joke that uses the mockumentary format. Leslie is doing a talking head about Ron getting married, but she says she doesn't have time for it and runs away to catch the elevator.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, it's a mockumentary. Don't pedantically make up specific little rules for what does and what doesn't constitute a "true" mockumentary. That's silly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That was a great episode, and would have made an excellent series, or at least season, finale. So I look forward to being mildly annoyed by the rest of the season.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I don't think it's a mockumentary, I just think Pawnee has no fourth wall.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The raccoons tore it down.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Eagleton took the fourth wall when they seceded. Pawnee has it back now, but nobody knows what to do with the darn thing.

EAGLETON :argh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Apparently somebody stole the lock from the episode where Ben and Leslie go to Paris.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw the Lego Movie, and while Emmett is clearly Andy, the fact the Pirate is voiced by Nick Offermen blew me away.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Finally caught up and watched this. drat, that would've been a good series finale.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe they'll have Ben run for Mayor or something else big for the next season. Please god LET IT NOT BE ANOTHER BABY.

Wait, better yet, Andy runs for Mayor.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If we get a mayor's race storyline, hopefully we'll finally get a Bill Murray cameo for outgoing Mayor Gunderson. Hey, he did Alpha House, why not Parks & Rec?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The closing shot of the last episode was pretty jarring. It wasn't bad or anything, but I noticed it.

I thought the chard thing was going to be something from Sweetums because I had literally never heard of chard. I guess it's kinda cool that they didn't make Sweetums the villain yet again, but I do like when they come up with ridiculous products to sell to people. They'd totally sell a rebranded cotton candy "plant" or something at a farmer's market.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I really liked Ann and Chris as separate people, but if they were going to start dating again they needed to go away. Which they did. Fortunately.

That being said I'm sad they're gone and I hope to hell they don't try to replace them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

myron cope posted:

The closing shot of the last episode was pretty jarring. It wasn't bad or anything, but I noticed it.

It's the kind of shot you wrap a show on, not just a season. :|

myron cope posted:

They'd totally sell a rebranded cotton candy "plant" or something at a farmer's market.

Tomacco?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Javid posted:

It's the kind of shot you wrap a show on, not just a season. :|
On the other hand, it's pretty much a smaller version of the similar closing shot from Harvest Festival, so it's not like they've never done it before.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've never seen so many people complain about one basic stylistic shot in a tv show, good god.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know how it was here, but The Office loving around with it's format bugged the hell out of me. It forgot what it was supposed to be, instead of evolving into something else, like Parks and Rec did.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The overwhelming schmaltz that the show can't seem to shake aside, the Ann and Chris send-off was an entirely wasted opportunity. I get the feeling that the writers feel every day is a wonderful rainbow of experiences and large events simply don't register, or something.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I saw the Lego Movie, and while Emmett is clearly Andy, the fact the Pirate is voiced by Nick Offermen blew me away.

Same, he definitely got into the role. That movie was fantastic too.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Happy Galentine's Day everyone!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Funhilde posted:

I heard somebody say this at work today and it made me really happy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I seem to have broken the thread with that last post.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Poque posted:

I heard somebody say this at work today and it made me really happy.

I'm hosting a brunch on Saturday.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Poque posted:

I seem to have broken the thread with that last post.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was having troubles with that!

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Klungar posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was having troubles with that!

I spent a while being baffled as to what I was missing with that GODDAMN POQUE POST THAT WON'T SHOW UP WHY ARE YOU TAUNTING ME?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Funhilde posted:

My wife went to a Galentine's day party today.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Jim O'Heir (Jerry) guest starred on this week's podcast of The Thrilling Adventure Hour, in an episode of Beyond Belief.

It also stars Paget Brewster and Paul F. Tompkins every week, and Tim Omundson and Maggie Lawson of Psych also guest starred in this episode.

Aubrey Plaza, Nick Offerman and Nick Kroll (the Douche) have guest starred in the past (Aubrey in the first episode of Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars and Nick Offerman in Down in Moonshine Holler - The Lottery, Nick Kroll has been in Sparks Nevada, Beyond Belief and Captain Laserbeam.)

Also The Thrilling Adventure Hour is always amazing and you should be listening to it anyway unless you hate fun and awesome things. And since you're reading the Parks and Rec thread you probably don't.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 17, 2014

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

soapgish posted:

The overwhelming schmaltz that the show can't seem to shake aside, the Ann and Chris send-off was an entirely wasted opportunity. I get the feeling that the writers feel every day is a wonderful rainbow of experiences and large events simply don't register, or something.

Go watch a different show if you don't like it. Seriously. The whole positivity thing is nice for a change in Parks and Rec. Not everything has to be constantly reminding us that life is poo poo wall to wall jerk.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
After seeing this in the Parks and Recreation newsletter:

Attention demons and gorgons,

The animal shelter is holding an adopt-a-thon. We have tons of dogs and cats that need to find their forever homes. So if you think you actually deserve the love of a loving animal, stop by. But you'll have to pass Orin's Test of Willpower first, and then MAYBE we'll consider you. Pets are the real humans.

Go away,
April The Destroyer

I find myself intensely curious as to what Orin's Test of Willpower is. Right now I'm picturing maintaining eye contact with Orin for an extended length of time.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

By the way, they released a little Perd-themed webisode today to make up for the Olympics hiatus!

And apparently Mike Patterson is going to be appearing in upcoming episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

thexerox123 posted:

By the way, they released a little Perd-themed webisode today to make up for the Olympics hiatus!

And apparently Mike Patterson is going to be appearing in upcoming episodes.

I love how good the supporting characters are even without the main cast.

• Locked thread