Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Yeah, he shoulda named it something good like Lands or Dredge or Top Control or Miracles or

That said Ninjabear is a much better sounding name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

vOv posted:

I meant the grayscale/black on black Theros gods (but having a video is useful too!)

http://www.intoxitones.com/mtg_render/bob-heliod.jpg

Replace Heliod with the name of any of the other 4 for those pictures, this is directly from the dude who made the renders and he put a TON of work into them. He re-drew large portions of the art to make it work, which is why they look so drat good, and look even more amazing once you print them out and put them on foils.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cinara posted:

http://www.intoxitones.com/mtg_render/bob-heliod.jpg

Replace Heliod with the name of any of the other 4 for those pictures, this is directly from the dude who made the renders and he put a TON of work into them. He re-drew large portions of the art to make it work, which is why they look so drat good, and look even more amazing once you print them out and put them on foils.

They really are loving pretty looking, I wonder if alteration like that is tournament legal?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

They really are loving pretty looking, I wonder if alteration like that is tournament legal?

Not even close, cause there is nothing left of the original card art and they are slightly thicker than a normal card. Not a huge amount but enough to not want to play in anything competitive.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
full foil alters are illegal because you wipe away the art printed on the card completely and the process to makes them changes the thickness of the card so I'm sure they could be considered marked.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

That's loving stunning.

I think alters basically always boil down to 'head judge's call'; while changing the thickness is definitely a concern I'm pretty sure that completely changing out the art doesn't necessarily make it illegal as long as it's still recognizable.

vOv fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 20, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Pretty sure that the art has to be recognizable as that specific card for there to even be a chance of a HJ allowing it. I have never owned any altered cards.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Cinara posted:

Not even close, cause there is nothing left of the original card art and they are slightly thicker than a normal card. Not a huge amount but enough to not want to play in anything competitive.

They look similar to the planeswalkers from san diego comic con event, aren't they standard legal? I know it is a stupid question, but what difference is the process between that and these alters in terms of art style, is thickness that much of an issue?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ScarletBrother posted:

Pretty sure that the art has to be recognizable as that specific card for there to even be a chance of a HJ allowing it. I have never owned any altered cards.

The way you make foil alters, is first you wipe the entire card surface clean of print. So the name and mana cost of the card are gone. This violates the first point. Then you basically print a card on transparency film, clue it to the foil. This violates point 4, the card has a thin, but obviously thicker than normal card layer added to it, so it can be differentiated from other cards in your deck. The 5th point, the alter has to be a real magic card, and the same one. You can't paint a beautiful goyf over a forest. Because the foil alters blank the card, you can never prove that you blanked a Heliod to make a mono-chrome foil Heliod.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Samael posted:

They look similar to the planeswalkers from san diego comic con event, aren't they standard legal? I know it is a stupid question, but what difference is the process between that and these alters in terms of art style?

Those are printed by Wizards and are official magic cards.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Samael posted:

They look similar to the planeswalkers from san diego comic con event, aren't they standard legal? I know it is a stupid question, but what difference is the process between that and these alters in terms of art style, is thickness that much of an issue?

Those are official Wizards' cards, they are printed in the normal MTG card process, just different art. These are made by gluing transparencies over the top of a normal blanked foil MTG card, aka a proxy.

EDIT: Doing cards like this is not "altering" the cards like some people do with paint and whatever. These are just very drat fancy proxies. Alters are sometimes legal depending on the judge and the alter, where a proxy is never tournament legal. But they are perfect for a cube or a casual deck(EDH!)

And the thickness is not a huge deal for casual play if done right, I have plenty of these in my EDH decks and you really can't tell the difference once they are in a sleeve.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 20, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

jassi007 posted:

The way you make foil alters, is first you wipe the entire card surface clean of print. So the name and mana cost of the card are gone. This violates the first point. Then you basically print a card on transparency film, clue it to the foil. This violates point 4, the card has a thin, but obviously thicker than normal card layer added to it, so it can be differentiated from other cards in your deck. The 5th point, the alter has to be a real magic card, and the same one. You can't paint a beautiful goyf over a forest. Because the foil alters blank the card, you can never prove that you blanked a Heliod to make a mono-chrome foil Heliod.

Oh okay, that clears it up, thanks! I guess these sort of cards are only destined to be commanders or just to be shown off. :)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Samael posted:

Oh okay, that clears it up, thanks! I guess these sort of cards are only destined to be commanders or just to be shown off. :)

A lot of people will use them in cubes. Our own Baron makes these kinds of proxies.

http://imgur.com/a/ut15m#72 See his dual lands? He made some sweet full art duals.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560252&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post424968291

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn

Death Bot posted:

Yeah, he shoulda named it something good like Lands or Dredge or Top Control or Miracles or

That said Ninjabear is a much better sounding name.

I am very sad that I could not place with my Junk deck featuring Whip of Erebos at GP Louisville. I really wanted to do a deck tech and dub it "Whip my Junk".

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Is born of the gods tournament legal now?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

jhorphear posted:

Is born of the gods tournament legal now?

Yes.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jassi007 posted:

The blue one, dumb name, bad deck, the most overhyped piece of poo poo he ever stole an idea from someone else and claimed as his own, and it made the shoal go crazy in price for no good reason

I mean, actually that deck is called "Pauper Delver Except No Gush" but that seems like an unusually boring deck for him. Usually his poo poo's at least fun to watch.

And I think the Shoals just like to go crazy at the least provocation, free spells have a weird way of either being useless or breaking the game, depending.

VVV EDIT: He's kind of an idiot and it's funny. Did you miss the time he tried to say "Spain is cool" and instead said "Spaniards are lazy"? VVV

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 21, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

jassi007 posted:

ITS A BAD DECK WITH A BAD NAME. He couldn't call it something logical like mono-U delver or Delver Tempo or mono-u tempo. I mean honestly, how key is phantasmal bear to the loving deck anyway? It isn't. Judge's familiar is a way better 1 drop for that deck, and even if you made that change, it is still a lovely deck.

Did big bad Travis Woo touch you in your no-no place? Every time a single thing from him gets mentioned, even if you aren't part of that conversation you fly off into a frothing rage about him.

EDIT:I think I recognize your name for that, but it may have been someone else whose name i mistook for yours

EDIT: Wow, those monochrome gods look amazing. Why can't we just have them be legal to play :(.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 21, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, actually that deck is called "Pauper Delver Except No Gush" but that seems like an unusually boring deck for him. Usually his poo poo's at least fun to watch.

Yeah. I still don't get how people talk about it like it's a brew. It's literally Pauper Delver and hey let's add Cryptics and Shoal because we can.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

VVV EDIT: He's kind of an idiot and it's funny. Did you miss the time he tried to say "Spain is cool" and instead said "Spaniards are lazy"? VVV

He didn't really say they were lazy though, it just depends on if you look at the article with a "typical magic player" view or the view that he's an idiot in the first place.

Magic players as a whole aren't known for being great at social interaction and I think that includes an article written by one.

He could have worded it a lot better though.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Mmm, full art duals. Very nice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So apparently this is my week to buy packs. Last Friday I bought 6 Born of the Gods packs and got Kitty King, Spirit of the Labyrinth, and a Courser. I impulse-bought 3 more on Monday and got another copy of His Meowjesty and a WU god. Yesterday I got 2 MBS and a NPH and got Consecrated Sphinx, Green Sun, and Karn. I guess this is the world's way of making up for my Theros and M14 boxes.

Edit: I forgot the shiny Sword of War and Peace! That's the best part.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

His Meowjesty
I can't decide if I hate you or love you now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

Both seems to be a popular choice.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tharizdun posted:

I think its a purrfect moniker for the card. I mean he is the mane force behind white based aggro strategies now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: Woo

I'll never understand how such a chill dude generates so much rage in goons. Even the 'steals deck' thing is dumb considering he'll give a shoutout to anyone who sent him the idea (like the Summoner's Egg deck from awhile back) during the initial stream or in his CFB article. :confused:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

I'll never understand how such a chill dude generates so much rage in goons. Even the 'steals deck' thing is dumb considering he'll give a shoutout to anyone who sent him the idea (like the Summoner's Egg deck from awhile back) during the initial stream or in his CFB article. :confused:

I guess if you had no sense of humor, he'd be pretty rage-inducing. As-is, he's just unintentionally hilarious most of the time.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

bhsman posted:

I don't hold any rage for the guy, but he is the furthest thing from "chill". Unless "chill" is a synonym for "insecure, passive-aggressive, and takes himself way too seriously". A few weeks ago he opened one of his articles with a spiel about "Magic sucks in every way but I still play it because I like deckbuilding I guess". During his videos he seems to not be able to stop himself from commenting on how much he doesn't care about that misplay he just made. His constant drawl like he's always high is really hard to listen to as well.

I quit watching his stuff a long time ago but I'll still watch it if I'm in the mood for a CFB video but there's nothing else up. He was fine before he got "big" and people seem to have gotten to him.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

jassi007 posted:

The blue one, dumb name, bad deck, the most overhyped piece of poo poo he ever stole an idea from someone else and claimed as his own, and it made the shoal go crazy in price for no good reason

Shoal didn't go crazy when Woo announced his deck. On tcgplayer, it may have gone up by a nickel. It happened about a week later when LSV posted a CFB video where he lucksacked his way to victory (something like 3 cryptic commands when that was pretty much the only card that could keep him alive?). Between posting that video at midnight EST, and the following morning, Shoal went from $2 up to $10.
Also, you say stolen, do you have any evidence? I don't think Woo ever said, "This is my completely original idea that no one else had a similar notion of ever." I think he said, "here are some tweaks on a sort of occasionally played archetype that I think is better with these cards."
I do think it's better than you give it credit, especially since it really was a budget deck when posted (Cryptic command was at $25, Mutvault at $20, vs $50/35 now). It's certainly not tier 1, but it does well against a range of modern decks.
I started paying attention to Woo when he posted Green Summer back at the end of SOM-INN standard, and that deck was a blast -- probably some of the most fun I've had in Standard. I've generally given him the benefit of the doubt since then. Some of his brews are good, some are fun.

^^^Edit, this:

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I guess if you had no sense of humor, he'd be pretty rage-inducing. As-is, he's just unintentionally hilarious most of the time.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Lord Of Texas posted:

I don't hold any rage for the guy, but he is the furthest thing from "chill". Unless "chill" is a synonym for "insecure, passive-aggressive, and takes himself way too seriously". A few weeks ago he opened one of his articles with a spiel about "Magic sucks in every way but I still play it because I like deckbuilding I guess". During his videos he seems to not be able to stop himself from commenting on how much he doesn't care about that misplay he just made. His constant drawl like he's always high is really hard to listen to as well.

Yah, he is REAL high strung. The fitness/life coach guru stuff is a major tip off. It's fine to work out and eat well, lots of us do, by constantly droning on about it and how many positive things you can do for your life etc etc is a major red flag. He gets supremely defensive over any mention of play mistakes in comments on CFB. I don't hate the guy, I don't rage about his 'deck stealing' (that poo poo is stupid). I even have enjoyed playing around with some of his 'terribad' brews because often they are funny and fun to mess around with. Make no mistake though, he's the kind of guy who would be an insane ball of passive aggressive bullhit 'look at me Im so great' diatribes nonstop.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

I quit watching his stuff a long time ago but I'll still watch it if I'm in the mood for a CFB video but there's nothing else up. He was fine before he got "big" and people seem to have gotten to him.

A lot of people say Magic is awful and still play it.

Hasn't Kibler said something along those lines before anyways?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

A lot of people say Magic is awful and still play it.

Hasn't Kibler said something along those lines before anyways?

Maybe and that's fine, but why would I want to watch someone produce content that they are only half-interested in (yet extremely defensive of in Woo's case?)

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lord Of Texas posted:

Maybe and that's fine, but why would I want to watch someone produce content that they are only half-interested in (yet extremely defensive of in Woo's case?)

What's weird is that in his latest article, where he accidentally insults Spain, he reverses course and talks about how wonderful Magic is and how he loves it more and more each year.

Dude has something wrong with his brain, I guess.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I'm rebuilding my Zur deck and I was wondering; if I Whip of Erebos Zur back to play, put Vanishing on him, then phase him out in response to the RFG trigger at EOT (or before the trigger? I'm not sure when the best time to this would be.)... what happens? Phasing technically doesn't cause him to leave play, but it can't be affected by anything because it's phased (I think?)

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

So I'm rebuilding my Zur deck and I was wondering; if I Whip of Erebos Zur back to play, put Vanishing on him, then phase him out in response to the RFG trigger at EOT (or before the trigger? I'm not sure when the best time to this would be.)... what happens? Phasing technically doesn't cause him to leave play, but it can't be affected by anything because it's phased (I think?)

Zur phases out.

Whip trigger looks for Zur to exile, finds nothing.

Upkeep Zur phases back in.

Profit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

Zur phases out.

Whip trigger looks for Zur to exile, finds nothing.

Upkeep Zur phases back in.

Profit.
This is true except I believe that Zur retains the qualifier that if he ever leaves the battlefield again he will be exiled instead. As he "didn't exist" during the time where it should have triggered and thus still has that second part of the ability on him. That's how it works with Unearth at least.

The other viable option is to use a flicker effect, because that also exiles and unearth/whip don't really care why they are exiled, just that they are. So a flicker will exile it and return it and it will be back with no downsides.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cinara posted:

This is true except I believe that Zur retains the qualifier that if he ever leaves the battlefield again he will be exiled instead. As he "didn't exist" during the time where it should have triggered and thus still has that second part of the ability on him. That's how it works with Unearth at least.

The other viable option is to use a flicker effect, because that also exiles and unearth/whip don't really care why they are exiled, just that they are, so a flicker will exile it and return it and it will be back with no downsides.

If anything, the thing about exiling instead is a benefit, since you can choose to put him in the command zone if he would ever be tucked. I guess it would be worse if he gets bounced, but honestly having your general get tucked is a lot worse than getting bounced.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Someone teach me about how to play modern affinity. I'm considering getting a deck for modern so I have more events to participate on and affinity was mentioned in this thread as being the most affordable. Looks like mox opal is the only really expensive card in the deck? The rest seem reasonable.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Someone teach me about how to play modern affinity. I'm considering getting a deck for modern so I have more events to participate on and affinity was mentioned in this thread as being the most affordable. Looks like mox opal is the only really expensive card in the deck? The rest seem reasonable.

There is both a Modern/Legacy/Vintage thread and a Deckbuilding thread at your disposal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yegor
Dec 21, 2007
In Gypsytown there are two rules. Number one: stay in car.
Just wanna say thanks to all of the helpful replies about MURDERFARM. Looking forward to having a blast and messing with sweet combos.

• Locked thread