Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Sockington posted:

Yeah, I've already cranked it down quite a bit for the little home practice I've been using it on.

On the other hand, at least it's not like the Palomino V32 of darkness. Also, I love my Jet City 22H :parrot:

bah, really wishing I had jumped on MF stupid deal of the day thing, my lead singer is going to be playing guitar on several new tracks and we don't have an amp for her. I think for now I'll run her through my interface and back out to the PA, but it sure would have been nice to have that amp :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

iostream.h posted:

No worries man, if it wouldn't upset you, I may go forward with it a bit. I mocked up a mount in the studio and I have some ideas, I'll keep you looped in with whatever happens?

What do you mean, 'stereo bar'? Is that something specific? My Google-fu falls weak today.

Go for it. And by stereo bar, I mean this:

They are indispensable.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think there's a mindset with a lot musicians where noon = flat = neutral and that's not how things work. I've always been like that but now I'm beginning to trust my ears and understand how everything works together.

I was thinking about it recently and I would assume most tone controls on amplifiers are passive. So the 'flat' unmodified tone would actually be with everything maxed out so that the signal is being passed right through, and anything you do with the knobs is just decreasing the volume of that frequency range.

Really changed how I EQ amps - start with everything dimed and go from there.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've only ever used solid state amps, I've owned everything from 15 watt Fender practice amps to Crate half-stacks. Currently I use a Peavey Bandit 112 and a Fender Frontman 212r. I have to say that I've never really truly been happy with the sound I get when trying to record guitars.

I recently jammed with a friend who had an all-tube 5150 head and the sound quality in our guitars was night and day between us. I've decided I'd like to try getting in to tube amplifiers to get a better sound on my recordings.

Can anyone recommend a small tube guitar amplifier that will only be used for practice and recording, has a good rock distortion/drive channel, and is ideally around $300 new or used? My ideal guitar sound is a thick and punchy distortion similar to Rise Against, NOFX, etc. I think I'm being unrealistic with my budget, so if I am then I'll take any recommendations that aren't absurdly expensive.

edit - Here's one I'm looking at now, the VHT Special 6.
http://www.amazon.com/VHT-AV-SP1-6-...s=vht+special+6

See if you can find a blackstar HT series.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah tone controls are all different, sometimes full is flat, sometimes all the way down, sometimes like 2/3rds. Often it's even different between the low/high on the same piece of gear.

Its totally worth reading up on different kinds of oft used tone circuits (baxandall, muff etc).

For example, these images show the response vox tone circuit with both knobs down, then at 12 o clock, then at full - not exactly what you would imagine. The software I used to make this is here http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/ and worth a look if youre interested in tone circuits.

field balm fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 6, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Haha this thing is just stupid.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iostream.h posted:

Haha this thing is just stupid.

How did you not go with purple tolex

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

How did you not go with purple tolex
Haha, if it'd been built specifically for ME it'd already be on there.
This amp is actually the prototype chassis for the AFD line, it's a wee bit different than the production models in a few ways.

We actually discussed a new cabinet for it today, so yes, it WILL have purple tolex (OR neon yellow/chartreuse) in the very near future, along with a few tweaks and additional mods for me. ;)

I'm so stoked, I keep flipping back and forth between all three of those heads, just spazzing out on comparing them and goofing on the sound. GLORIOUS.

Plus, picked up a Carvin 4x10 as well, out of a desire to experiment with a more punchy, middy sound (a recommendation from a close friend) and so far, with the SLO through the 10's, it's NUTS and a lot of fun.

Oh, and the Jubilee is fine, out of the ER with a clean bill of health and a full compliment of new tubes and 'something' he did, that I'm not sure of yet.

Edit: Oh, and he mentioned today that he's had a couple of interesting calls and emails over the past few days from people who said they'd heard about him on 'an internet forum', if that's you guys he said that he's enjoyed the conversation and questions and thanks for the interest. Was it one of you guys who asked about his choice of impedance for his speaker cabs?

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 7, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I'm in a conundrum. I need a higher wattage amp than my princeton reverb for my pedal steel. I have the opportunity to pickup a either a Peavey Duece for a stupidly low price $175, or a beat to hell twin for around $400. The twin is totally beat to poo poo, it has weird Marshall speakers in it and would probably need to be retubed, recapped, and re-speakered to be usable to me.

So what would be ballpark price on retubing and recapping a twin? I know what speakers I would throw in and it'd be about $180 for both.

The Deuce is really clean, only issue is a bad speaker cable, and would be totally cake to replace.

What would you do if you were me?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

So I'm in a conundrum. I need a higher wattage amp than my princeton reverb for my pedal steel. I have the opportunity to pickup a either a Peavey Duece for a stupidly low price $175, or a beat to hell twin for around $400. The twin is totally beat to poo poo, it has weird Marshall speakers in it and would probably need to be retubed, recapped, and re-speakered to be usable to me.

So what would be ballpark price on retubing and recapping a twin? I know what speakers I would throw in and it'd be about $180 for both.

The Deuce is really clean, only issue is a bad speaker cable, and would be totally cake to replace.

If you like how the Deuce sounds I would go for it. The price is great and the twin sounds like a complete pain in the rear end to me. To be fair though I avoid used gear unless it's in good shape so there's that. If I was in your position and wanted the twin I'd prefer to be patient and look for one in better shape and more of a buy and play deal.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What year is the Twin? $400 for the right Twin is a good price. $400 for the wrong Twin (or in this case, one that needs $400 worth of labor and parts) is probably not great.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

jwh posted:

What year is the Twin? $400 for the right Twin is a good price. $400 for the wrong Twin (or in this case, one that needs $400 worth of labor and parts) is probably not great.
What I was going to say, even with the expense of new speakers and electrical work it could be a great deal if you're into that sort of thing.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had a Twin for a little while. They are very heavy. If you're going to gig with it, you want a car that you can load it straight in and out of, not, say, trying to put it in the back seat of a 2-door coupe.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

I would get the Deuce and not look back.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Unless it's like an early '60s twin there's no way in hell I'd pay $400 for a twin that probably needs more than $400 worth of work done to it. And Peavey Deuces sound good, so why not?

I mean just read this manual :allears: Take a deuce

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

jwh posted:

I'm not sure, I think late 70's, master volume.

After reading what I wrote I feel silly having asked the question. I was messing around with the deuce today and they sound pretty drat good. It's just soooo ugly.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

I'm not sure, I think late 70's, master volume.

After reading what I wrote I feel silly having asked the question. I was messing around with the deuce today and they sound pretty drat good. It's just soooo ugly.

The price guide has mid to late '70s Twins at between $700 and $1,200 in good condition, but I still think that's too much money. I paid $500 for an early '80s Twin a few years ago (UL transformer).

Then again, everything is getting more expensive, and they're not making any more of them.

I think Twins are arguably the best stage volume clean platforms available for the money.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Peavey amps, this bad boy just showed up on my local Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/msg/4295220717.html

I do not play guitar, but I have been trying to do tube amp repair for my friends. Would this be a decent critter on which to learn the magic of electron manipulation? I figure at only $200 it would be a good place to begin.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

scuz posted:

Speaking of Peavey amps, this bad boy just showed up on my local Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/msg/4295220717.html

I do not play guitar, but I have been trying to do tube amp repair for my friends. Would this be a decent critter on which to learn the magic of electron manipulation? I figure at only $200 it would be a good place to begin.

they are pretty solid amps and 200 for a working tube dude is about as low as it gets esp one with some bite.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
If I'm in a situation where I can't crank my amp, would getting a separate solid state power amp to throw in the effects loop output be a usable idea?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Boz0r posted:

If I'm in a situation where I can't crank my amp, would getting a separate solid state power amp to throw in the effects loop output be a usable idea?

I don't see this as sounding any better than just keeping the volume low, and you'd still need a speaker plugged into the amp's output since there would still be a load on it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Boz0r posted:

Not really. I'd recommend an attenuator or if you're super broke just throw something with a volume knob in the effects loop (volume pedal, overdrive pedal, etc.). Really, though, that's just a second master volume.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just dug up my old Fender 25. Thinking about giving it to my old school. Are these still considered generally decent amps for casual jamming? They were when I got it at a flea market for like 25 bucks but it's been a long time since I bought amps.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
What could be causing my amp to hiss? It's a 70's "Kingston" Solid State. It's a total piece of poo poo but works pretty well for a practice amp. The problem is that it has a hiss completely independent of any instrument plugged in. It's not 60 cycle, it's a broadband hiss that doesn't change with the volume of the amp.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I have a Garnet Pro 200 Super LB200S and just last week I found out that the master volume knob pulls out to boost the gain a whole bunch. Well, when I tried last week to pull it out, it did nothing. Last night at jam I got fed up with it and rammed it back and forth a bunch of times to see if it would fix it... And it did! Must've just been because it was old. Anyway, here's the rough mix of one of the songs we jammed if anyone wants to hear what fifty Canadian watts of 1970s all-tube power sounds like.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Also continuing work on the swiveling mic clamp slide arms:

The essentials are done up in vector, with a layer I sketched in overtop as a hypothetical cable management system that could be worked right into the design. Kind of makes it look like a centipede or or something.

Edit: I need to source the knurled 3/8 thumb screws I intend to use before I settle in the size of the inner channel though. :gonk:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 17, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Handen posted:

Edit: I need to source the knurled 3/8 thumb screws I intend to use before I settle in the size of the inner channel though. :gonk:
Large, all the better for drunken fools to be better able to manipulate at 3am please.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

HollisBrown posted:

What could be causing my amp to hiss? It's a 70's "Kingston" Solid State. It's a total piece of poo poo but works pretty well for a practice amp. The problem is that it has a hiss completely independent of any instrument plugged in. It's not 60 cycle, it's a broadband hiss that doesn't change with the volume of the amp.

Does it have a reverb channel? Does it change with moving the reverb or any other control? Tried different power outlets?

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Posted in this thread before about the Kelly head I managed to pick up in a junk shop, but I realised I never shared it in all its vintage glory.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

After some testing the speaker to my Hot Rod is shot. Anyone got any cheap-ish options? I'm actually looking for more of a vox like clean tone.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Noise Machine posted:

After some testing the speaker to my Hot Rod is shot. Anyone got any cheap-ish options? I'm actually looking for more of a vox like clean tone.

You could get the speaker repaired... and possibly change its tone in the process!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Noise Machine posted:

The signature Vox 'chime' is in no small part to the Alnico Blues they use in some of their cabs, which can be pretty pricey. I know Eminence has a Blue-styled offering, I forget what it's called at the moment, but I was looking at them not too long ago to throw into an empty cab I have.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

You won't get a Vox-like tone from your Hot Rod-series amp. Sorry. Get a Celestion V30 and you'll be happier. Cleans up the flubby low-end and makes the drive channel somewhat usable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

no dad im not gay! posted:

You won't get a Vox-like tone from your Hot Rod-series amp. Sorry. Get a Celestion V30 and you'll be happier. Cleans up the flubby low-end and makes the drive channel somewhat usable.

Emphasis on somewhat, I really don't know what it is about the damned HRDs that they can't give 'em just a little bit of loving. They can be modded to sound much better. Bleh.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Agreed posted:

Emphasis on somewhat, I really don't know what it is about the damned HRDs that they can't give 'em just a little bit of loving. They can be modded to sound much better. Bleh.

Because people buy tons of them and love the poo poo out of them, honestly. In the mid-2000's every MOR alt rock band had a Deluxe or DeVille that they fed pedals into instead of ever touching the dirty channel

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Because people buy tons of them and love the poo poo out of them, honestly. In the mid-2000's every MOR alt rock band had a Deluxe or DeVille that they fed pedals into instead of ever touching the dirty channel

At least they do have a good clean channel. A quick once-over by a competent amp tech can bring a lot out of a HRD, though - both in terms of making the dirt channel actually usable, but also in improving the general responsiveness of the clean channel, replacing the linear pot with a more appropriate taper pot, a little bit of adjustment to the tone stack to help with some flub in the mid-bass frequencies that is amplified (no pun intended) by the speaker choice and construction...

I guess there's always the question of "Why do all that to an HRD when you can usually find a Silverface Bassman for about the same price used as an HRD new plus tech work," and that's fair, it's just that the basic idea behind the HRD doesn't suck - it's just the implementation that leaves a lot to be desired. Great clean channel, garbage dirt channel. Which, yeah, makes it a good platform for making pedals loud, but it could be a lot more for not a lot more scratch. I guess Fender would rather you pick up a Deluxe RI or a '65 Twin RI or a Bassman RI in their various configurations and so some segmentation does make sense, but they make solid state amps that have way, way better sounding dirt channels than the HRDs. Hell, their cheap low tube wattage amps that aren't part of the premium lineup often have a better dirt channel than the HRDs. :ohdear:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
So I bought a acoustic 320 but when I got home to jam with it louder and longer, it kind of jumped and waivered in volume so I turned down but it ended to going back.

after practice I checked the fuse and it was 10a instead of 6.5a. could this have made it act weird? of course I am going to replace it but I am just curious of any long term damage I could have caused it? no wire burning smell or anything just more curious of the other components.

ninja edit: I ran around looking for a 6.5 couldn't find it so I just plugged in a 3, it works fine - even pushed it a bit. weird. still curious if I coulda caused any long term damage

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 24, 2014

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Anybody have some love for Reason amplifiers? I just picked up a used Bambino combo on the cheap and I'm in love. Needs a little work, but a little tapping around suggests to me that there's just a solder joint I need to get in there and reflow to keep the Bright channel from cutting out randomly. Hadn't really heard of them, one cropped up in a local shop and...yeah. Won't push into uber-metal gain levels, but will still crank up pretty high and do so at bedroom levels that don't bleed out my ears. Only gripe is the lack of an effects loop, and weird topology suggests I'm going to have to do some fiddly circuit tracing if I wanna mod one in there.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Agreed posted:

At least they do have a good clean channel. A quick once-over by a competent amp tech can bring a lot out of a HRD, though - both in terms of making the dirt channel actually usable, but also in improving the general responsiveness of the clean channel, replacing the linear pot with a more appropriate taper pot, a little bit of adjustment to the tone stack to help with some flub in the mid-bass frequencies that is amplified (no pun intended) by the speaker choice and construction...

I guess there's always the question of "Why do all that to an HRD when you can usually find a Silverface Bassman for about the same price used as an HRD new plus tech work," and that's fair, it's just that the basic idea behind the HRD doesn't suck - it's just the implementation that leaves a lot to be desired. Great clean channel, garbage dirt channel. Which, yeah, makes it a good platform for making pedals loud, but it could be a lot more for not a lot more scratch. I guess Fender would rather you pick up a Deluxe RI or a '65 Twin RI or a Bassman RI in their various configurations and so some segmentation does make sense, but they make solid state amps that have way, way better sounding dirt channels than the HRDs. Hell, their cheap low tube wattage amps that aren't part of the premium lineup often have a better dirt channel than the HRDs. :ohdear:

I tell everybody looking for a Fender amp to just check Craigslist until you find a late 70's ultra-linear Twin. Hot Rod-series amps aren't an amp you take once to a tech and you're done. The power tube sockets need to be touched up with fresh solder every 6 months to however many years, depending on how often you use it and how rough you are on it. I had a Hot Rod DeVille once and I modded it extensively; used a dremel to cut the tube socket boards and wired chassis-mounted tubes, changed the speakers, swapped out all the caps, did every other conceivable mod per the Justin Holt website and it sounded alright, but at the end of the day it's still a modern mass-produced PCB amp. It has inherent limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I ran around looking for a 6.5 couldn't find it so I just plugged in a 3, it works fine - even pushed it a bit. weird. still curious if I coulda caused any long term damage

The fuse is there to sacrifice itself in case an abnormal current is sent across the circuit, and serves no other purpose. If you put in the new fuse and it didn't blow, then you're fine.