Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rockopolis posted:

Craftworlds can't move in any kind of hurry, right? The wiki says they're sublight, and while they've got huge Webway gates, they can't travel in the Webway or the Warp?

They can move faster than light, but I'm not quite sure if it's webway or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MilkmanLuke posted:

I agree with this guy. The fact that they're not really evil is great

I'm gonna stop you right there: The space elves are some of the most evil bastards in the setting. They're a doomed race of compulsive liars who can't accept that they A: Failed and B: Are probably the reason everything is so awful in general and they consistently gently caress everything up more by adhering solely to their insane prophecies despite a long track record of those failing to really help.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cynic Jester posted:

They can move faster than light, but I'm not quite sure if it's webway or something else.
IIRC most of the webway that's big enough for craftworlds was destroyed, so they have to cruise sublight between the remaining portals.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Screwing things up from incompetence is a long way from evil. In a galaxy where tyrannid work to scour the galaxy of life, chaos seeks to burn everything and the dark elder power their society with the suffering of billions of slaves, craftworld eldar callousness ranks pretty low on the totem pole.

Not that I don't agree on the general principle of them being unreliable dicks. I ended with my Dark Heresy game with a Farseer's prediction of their last mission resulting in as much harm as good.

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp
So do you guys think there'll be another 40k RPG line?

I currently can't figure out what it could possibly be, as pretty much all of the bases are covered, but I bet there'll be one.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Fire Warrior Only War would be sick. Actual equipment, logistics and intelligence? Superiors who by and large don't want me dead? Sign me the gently caress up.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah a Only Tau game could be nice I guess? From the fluff they have tons of allied races/mercenaries that FFG could have fun doing whatever they want, besides the obvious Kroot/Vespid/Gue'vesa. Hell maybe Demiurg so we can play alien dorfs. Blood Axe Orkz?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MilkmanLuke posted:

Isn't Traveller the GURPS of space games?
GURPS is the GURPS of space games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

I'm gonna stop you right there: The space elves are some of the most evil bastards in the setting. They're a doomed race of compulsive liars who can't accept that they A: Failed and B: Are probably the reason everything is so awful in general and they consistently gently caress everything up more by adhering solely to their insane prophecies despite a long track record of those failing to really help.

I'd hardly say the space elves are some of the most evil, at least the sorts that don't fly around in S&M gear literally stealing peoples' souls to fuel their vast Libertarian torture-city, especially when you have such factions in play as Literally Hell and Robot Skeletons That Hate All Life. Regular flavor space elves at least have the decency to feel bad about tearing a hole in reality with their drug-fueled murder orgies and are attempting to do more about it than "double down on the murder orgies."

Eldar are complete and utter assholes to everyone who isn't another Eldar, and even then it's up in the air, but this doesn't exactly set them apart from every other faction in the 40K universe who all hate every other faction save for occasional, exceptionally fragile, corporate-mandated alliances of convenience.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't still punch them in the face, it's just good to maintain a bit of perspective.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

frajaq posted:

Blood Axe Orkz?

In da woteva year dis is, there is Only Fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Dese gitz wants ta' pay us ta' go n' fight some other lot, boyz." "So we'z gettin' paid ta' do wut we'd do anyway, boss? Dat's zoggin' bootiful."

Playing as a company of Blood Axes would be fun times.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.
Collecting mission equipment would be like a trip to PLC in Paranoia: full of inexplicable lightning, random effects and Big Red Buttons.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Ashcans posted:

Being all-male would sort of be thematic if the Space Marines were played up as being more akin to a monastic order. You know, like Sisters of Battle are space nuns. That element is sort of there, mostly in the Black Templar, but it isn't really something that is particularly stressed in their narrative or framing. Especially when you also have groups like Space Wolves which are totally not in that mold. And, of course, that element of their background came in later, I am pretty sure the original Space Marines were just roided up dudes with augments, and a lot of them were even penal troops? I think the main reason that there weren't any women involved is that it didn't occur to a bunch of nerds in the 80s and it got stuck as they re-wrote everything.

In the original Rogue Trader, before there was even a wargame, they were more like Starcraft Marines. Since then, all the fluff about what Space Marines do when they aren't fighting plays the monastic stuff up, it's just that there isn't much demand for stories about Brother-Sargent McMuscles reciting prayers while he performs maintenance rituals on his Holy Boltgun and Power Armor three-hundred times a day, praying while performing Bolter drill rituals, and just sitting around praying. If I remember correctly, free time for Marines who aren't on duty tends to range between a half-hour to an hour a day, the rest being various combinations of ritual, training, and prayer. Mostly the Space Wolves vary this by performing different, slightly heretical rituals, and maybe hunting some stuff on their hosed-up viking nightmare homeworld. I like to think that they end up loving combat so much because everything else about their life is dull as gently caress. The Sisters of Battle have far more emphasis on their monastic life, mostly because where the Marines have superhuman genetic modification, the Sisters have pure, fanatical faith. Also because the Marines are purely warrior monks, while the Sisters have branches dedicated to diplomacy, scholarship, and field medicine.

Thematically, the only real justification for all-male Marines is the sort of 300-esque parody of militant masculinity aspect of the setting. That only really works when it's Marines vs Orks, though. I suppose, more broadly, the Imperium is a deeply patriarchal society, not in the "oppresses women" sense, but in the sense that patriarchy is an exploitative and systematic privileging of a set of masculine-coded values.

I tend to think that there are quite a few Marines who were originally female, and at most the survival rate for female candidates going through the modification process is even lower than that for males. I doubt there's a chapter out there who would look at a woman who made it to the top ranks of whatever warrior society they recruit from and not be willing to give recruiting her a shot. Don't Marines try to recruit before the end of puberty due to the nature of the modification process anyhow? And the end result is never going to be a man or women in either the gender or biological sense. I sincerely doubt any of them have a penis anymore- what the gently caress would they use it for? Sex is just about #1 on the list of urges that they have no real use for. gently caress, even Slaaneshi Marines don't care about sex. I can't really blame Games Workshop for deciding to leave "oh and your dick is a useless, vestigial lump of flesh" out of material aimed at thirteen year old boys, though.

Comedy option: the Emperor never recognized Sanguinius as his most loyal and faithful son because "he" was actually his daughter.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Funktastic Dog posted:

So do you guys think there'll be another 40k RPG line?

I currently can't figure out what it could possibly be, as pretty much all of the bases are covered, but I bet there'll be one.

In 742.M41, a crack fire caste cadre was sentenced to decommissioning by the Ethereal Council for a crime they didn't commit. These warriors promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Forbidden Zone. Today, still wanted by the Tau Empire, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The Enclave- Team.

Lets you just jam most all of the xenos together, along with humans, fight brush wars, wage propaganda campaigns, spy on behalf of or against just about anyone.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.
B.A. BarOgryn ain't gettin' on no Devilfish!

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
So here's a question prefaced with a description. One of the adventure hooks I want to throw my party is a Repulsive half-buried but salvageable on a planet perilously close to the Undred Undred Teef region, the coordinates of which are encrypted in a journal left to the Rogue Trader by his predecessor. The party would undoubtedly need to amass wealth to finance the operation, and good reputations with the institutions of the Imperium back in Calixis before they could claim and use the august vessel.

Should this be a Grand Endeavor, or should I split it up into a meta endeavor due to scope? Actually, second question. If the Mechanicus are involved(Like that one explorator fleet in the Expanse), would they be able to fix Damaged components with ground crews, or would they still need to haul it to a forge world?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might be able to get some of it working enough to make it spaceworthy, but getting it "good" might well need some decades around a large forgeworld. Just getting it back into orbit might be several years of structural reinforcement, require the delivery and installation of new thruster system, and the hiring of a few heavy lifting tugs that will need to be brought in from several sectors away.

Or they can hire a Kroot Warsphere to proving both massive lifting power and perimeter defence at a reduced bundle rate!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

MilkmanLuke posted:

B.A. BarOgryn ain't gettin' on no Devilfish!

It's like the sengoku jidai (the Tau player characters as the Spanish or Dutch mercenary-trader-missionaries ironically enough) combined with the Angolan civil war, plus aliens and mecha. Since it's working for the Enclave instead of the Empire the characters are the bold rule dealers, the heroes the Greater Good needs, not the ones it deserves.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Sex is just about #1 on the list of urges that they have no real use for. gently caress, even Slaaneshi Marines don't care about sex. I can't really blame Games Workshop for deciding to leave "oh and your dick is a useless, vestigial lump of flesh" out of material aimed at thirteen year old boys, though.

Emperor's Gift makes a slight mention of this at one point with Hyperion, who has been working with an Inquisitor and her mixed gender retinue, being described by one of the female members during post mission clean up showers as having an impressive package but Hyperion just simply doesn't feel anything back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"Testicles, recruit? Oh no, they served no purpose. During your fourth set of organ implantation they were removed and replaced with your secondary adrenal glands."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The little known forty-second implant is two small beads of regenerating plastic explosive that a marine can rip from his scrotum if need be.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I'm kinda glad they renamed the chemgeld talent from earlier ffg games because, by and large, the less I know about a particular character's genitals, the better off I am. I mean, Black Crusade's Schrodinger's jockstrap mutation aside.

Yes, I realze this is totally hypocritical in context of my avatar.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Benagain posted:

The little known forty-second implant is two small beads of regenerating plastic explosive that a marine can rip from his scrotum if need be.

Suddenly, I wish this was true.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

goatface posted:

"Testicles, recruit? Oh no, they served no purpose. During your fourth set of organ implantation they were removed and replaced with your secondary adrenal glands."

For some reason, the thing that comes to my mind is the "WTF, D&D?" for Cyborg Commando. Specifically...

quote:

I could imagine some bug dude blasting the cyborg commando in his junk and the bug is all smug and the smoke clears and the cyborg commando is still standing there. "Nice try bad bug man, but I had my stuff removed by a doctor. Voluntarily."

"I've got no balls of steel".

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My Dark Heresy players have never seemed to really get into the game as much as I'd have hoped but now they've all agreed to give Rogue Trader a go which I think will fit their style much better. :woop:

Even better I think I'll have more fun GMing RT which should translate into more fun for the players too. Basically, they're more of the making a ruckus and doing ridiculous stuff type instead of the in-character roleplaying kind. Also the RT chargen system encourages them to put at least some thought into backstory which might push them towards that in-character roleplaying type more, but I'm not counting my chickens on it or anything. "Let's get loadsa money" is also a better and easier to work with character motivation than "we gotta do this job or the inquisitor will gently caress us up" and I can give them a better sense of power progression while maintaining the setting.

Edit: I also considered Only War and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up giving that a try at some point too.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 18, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

For easily creatable (and replaceable) comedy-violence freaks, OW is about perfect.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Well, I'm going to run The Soul Reaver. While I'm still not a fan of having the players taken prisoner with all of their eqiupment that they've spent the last 3 months of gameplay doing their best to acquire. There are a few moments that occur later in the adventure as written that might make it entirely worth it. Guess I'll report back on whether or not this thing is worthwhile to run and what sort of bizarre hijinks my players manage to stumble into.

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp
I'm literally turning my guys into literal demigods at the end of the next session, and loving with the entire canon so the imperium now worships a pantheon of four and my party is the gods.

How much should I give them, I'm thinking unnatural everything x2, unnatural str and toughness x3, +20 all stats, +100 wounds, and artificer armor worth 20 each

I'm going to pit them against massive loving cunts, that will wreck poo poo up.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Awesome. but uh, I think you've gone beyond the capacity of the FFG system to handle. You're into Exalted territory now (note, do not actually use Exalted)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Funktastic Dog posted:

I'm literally turning my guys into literal demigods at the end of the next session, and loving with the entire canon so the imperium now worships a pantheon of four and my party is the gods.

How much should I give them, I'm thinking unnatural everything x2, unnatural str and toughness x3, +20 all stats, +100 wounds, and artificer armor worth 20 each

I'm going to pit them against massive loving cunts, that will wreck poo poo up.

What the hell are you even going to throw at them?!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

VanSandman posted:

Bloodthirster company.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

eversor with halo device.

Using horde rules.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Khorne?

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp

Pretty much, this is going to be just for the very last session, I've decided. So basically they'll be fighting c'tans, chaos gods, everything.

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.

Funktastic Dog posted:

Pretty much, this is going to be just for the very last session, I've decided. So basically they'll be fighting c'tans, chaos gods, everything.

Godspeed, you mad bastard. Take notes and report back.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

Funktastic Dog posted:

And I thought I went apeshit with my game! Suddenly, having my Dark Heresy crew break into the Golden Throneroom through the webway backdoor in order to help a Mekboy use warp-proof necron-metal plates to perform emergency throne repair doesn't seem so nuts.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

And I thought I went apeshit with my game! Suddenly, having my Dark Heresy crew break into the Golden Throneroom through the webway backdoor in order to help a Mekboy use warp-proof necron-metal plates to perform emergency throne repair doesn't seem so nuts.

I like this plan more than the "go kill all the gods and all the bloodthirsters" idea. But to be fair, anything that involves PCs supporting a mekboy is good in my books.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My nascent RT players have decided to christen their ship the Mistakes Were Made and the Seneschal player said he's taking cues from Simon Illyan from the Vorkosigan saga. :allears: We're also doing the thing where the first session is about 'acquiring' the ship. I'm also going to have them hunt down and recruit or 'recruit' NPCs to serve as officers.

MilkmanLuke posted:

:aaa:

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

Antti posted:

My nascent RT players have decided to christen their ship the Mistakes Were Made and the Seneschal player said he's taking cues from Simon Illyan from the Vorkosigan saga. :allears: We're also doing the thing where the first session is about 'acquiring' the ship. I'm also going to have them hunt down and recruit or 'recruit' NPCs to serve as officers.

:aaa:

"Recruiting" NPCs is always fun. I've never played RT. Does it have any specific rules for press ganging people? Seems like there would be.

I think my favorite part about my DH campaign was that I had it planned out from the beginning and laid all the groundwork for it in a series of missions and all but one of the players had no idea what was happening until those doors flew open. The group had been doing all these insane missions seemingly without rhyme or reason...helping orks steal an imperial ship, helping a warboss escape a planet, etc., scouting semi-dormant necron tomb worlds and working with creepy eldar assholes. It was all part of their mega-radical inquisitor's master plan.

Also, the group's techpriest (the first player to realize what was happening, as soon as I described the demon-infested webway corridor leading to a gilded, titan-sized doorway) used his official AdMech ID to login to the Golden Throne's OS, so he became the most wanted fugitive in the galaxy in the game's fallout.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
There are indeed rules for press-ganging people, although the mechanics are murky at best. The ways of replenishing your crew are:

• Hiring, which is a fairly sure thing but counts as an Acquisition Test;
  • Press-ganging, which requires making some contact through criminal circles but only requires skill tests;
  • Striking a deal with planetary authorities to take on the planet's prison population as crew, which has no relevant test but costs a sizable chunk of Morale.

Clearly, hiring crew members is for pussies.