Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
How good/bad of an idea is an E46 with the AWD system? I live in the snow belt and right now I drive an E34 with no traction control every winter, so I'm not sure I need AWD but it seems like it would broaden my market for E46 cars as its a popular trim in Canada. Is it a nightmare like the ones on the E30s? Is it reliable? Does it make the car drive like poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

8ender posted:

How good/bad of an idea is an E46 with the AWD system? I live in the snow belt and right now I drive an E34 with no traction control every winter, so I'm not sure I need AWD but it seems like it would broaden my market for E46 cars as its a popular trim in Canada. Is it a nightmare like the ones on the E30s? Is it reliable? Does it make the car drive like poo poo?

AWD in the E46 is alright I guess. It does spoil the handling and steering quite a bit (plus how the car sits if you care about that), but it isn't a bad system; just unremarkable. It uses a permanent torque split (38F:62R IIRC) with three open diffs; the DSC and the traction control activate the brakes on each corner to provide a locking effect if a wheel starts to slip.

In all honesty, I would skip an AWD E46; maintenance-wise, suspension parts are a fair bit more expensive than in a RWD car, plus they have a habit of eating front halfshafts and CV joint boots. Also, if you're doing the work yourself, front suspension work goes from "not bad" in a RWD car to "a loving hassle" in the AWD cars. Beyond that, a RWD E46 on good winter tires is staggeringly competent as a winter car; knock on wood, I've never had any serious traction issues with my RWD E46...well, apart from the time I got caught in a flash freeze the day after I swapped my summer tires :v:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 19, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

That's good advice, and sort of what I'd thought was the case, thank you. I've gotten used to driving the E34 with no traction control at all and a limited slip diff so I figure the E46 should be a cake walk.

I've also only been in a bad situation when I was caught out with my summers on. Trying to lightly accelerate in 5th at 55mph and having the rear step out is fairly terrifying.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
E46 and newer traction control is loving amazing. When we got a flash snow/ice storm a couple weekends ago here, the only time I ran into an issue was once the snowpack outside my garage getting higher than the ground clearance of the car, rendering it unable to get out of the garage. But on the road, in the snow and ice, it drove nearly as well as on normal rainy wet pavement. At one point a guy in a G37x (the AWD trim) pulled in front of me and I was watching him fishtail all over the place while I went down the same road behind him at the same speed without any drama whatsoever.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

8ender posted:

As a fellow winter driver, skip the awd. Just get GOOD winters and you'll be fine. I dailyed my e36 with broken TC/ABS for 3 years and I averaged 500km/week. And as mentioned the e46 traction control system is good, although you will want to disable it at times in heavy snow to get some acceleration slip on good tires.

The biggest thing with the e46 awd is that it only works properly with DSC on. It needs to use the brakes to transfer torque, the centre diff is open.

VelociBacon posted:

Those are good tires, rims are preference if they're not really heavy, I would caution you against the hawk HPS pads if you're doing track driving with it - they aren't really as good as a lot of people think. With the investment you're putting into this you might be well served to pick up some proper track pads and use the HPS for your auto-x and DD.

Also if you ARE going to run HPS pads just get whatever color rim you want because within a week it'll be black anyways :v:

HPS pads should hold up to a driving school since you won't be anywhere near 10/10ths, but they will not hold up to proper track days. Personally I hate hps pads, they ruin the initial bite and don't hold up for the track or feel good for autoX. I'd suggest OE pads on fresh fluid until he's sure he wants to do track days.

Why are you getting 225s? Or 8" wheels? 335xi has got to be a heavy car, I would be looking at trying to fit something wider. And if you aren't super concerned about looks, go with 17" wheels. Cheaper wheels and cheaper tires.

I know the rwd e90s can do 17x9 and 255s with no problem, are the xdrive offsets the same?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rscott posted:

Yeah I had the blower on max and it turned all the way to warm. I'll bleed it some more when I get home. When is the aux fan supposed to kick on though? When I turn on the AC the fan turns on but it's gone up to the 3/4th mark and not kicked on like it is supposed to.

Bled it over the weekend, it's back to its normal behaviour of sitting around 12:30 when it's fully warmed up and on the highway, needle isn't jumping anymore at all.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Jumping on the HPS pads suck wagon. Put them on my e36 and all they're doing is making GBS threads everywhere over my contours and performing worse than OE pads.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
If you want, budget for an LSD. LSDs are a good idea on winter driven RWD cars.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys think of the Stoptech pads for e36? I picked some up over winter but haven't installed them yet.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Hello BMW thread.

I'm continuing to work on replacing the interior + doing the heater core on my E30. Then I found this around the rear passenger wheel well.

Any other E30 people run into rust like this in the same area? I need to get the car up and yank the outer wheel well cover and see what it's like from the exterior. The tear-looking bit is really weirding me out.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
You call that rust? psh

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'll take a picture of what my trunk looks like after these last two horrible winters full of salt, that seems really minor in comparison.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Yeah, FWIW this is an east coast car and that's the worst bit of rust I've found on it. The seam isn't worrying me so much as the tear-looking bit. I dunno if it's been hit in a previous life and badly repaired or what, the body itself seems pretty straight.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Is that foam coming out of that seam?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Is that foam coming out of that seam?

I dunno, it's confusing me too!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Popete posted:

What do you guys think of the Stoptech pads for e36? I picked some up over winter but haven't installed them yet.

There are different Stoptech pads - I'm currently using the "street performance" ones, I actually did a track day on them in the pouring rain and found they held up extremely well, I'm not sure how they would hold up for a proper track day in the dry. For daily driving they're essentially like OE pads but with more dust and they sound very 'coarse' for the first few stops I suppose until they come up to temperature. After they're at normal temperature they're buttery smooth and very quiet. I have them on an 1190kg car with 4 piston brakes so that will make a difference but I think they'd still be fine for an e36, and definitely better than the hawk alternative IMO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I picked up the Street Performance pads. I was hoping for less dust than OE pads as they turn my wheels into chimneys after only a few days :( Oh well. Good to hear you like them, I didn't look to heavily into it when I bought them.

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 20, 2014

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Crustashio posted:

HPS pads should hold up to a driving school since you won't be anywhere near 10/10ths, but they will not hold up to proper track days. Personally I hate hps pads, they ruin the initial bite and don't hold up for the track or feel good for autoX. I'd suggest OE pads on fresh fluid until he's sure he wants to do track days.

Why are you getting 225s? Or 8" wheels? 335xi has got to be a heavy car, I would be looking at trying to fit something wider. And if you aren't super concerned about looks, go with 17" wheels. Cheaper wheels and cheaper tires.

I know the rwd e90s can do 17x9 and 255s with no problem, are the xdrive offsets the same?

Well I don't know to be honest. I've been searching and I see people talking about having to roll their fenders, and rub with 9". I want the 18's for the vanity of it. I like the way they look, and I'm ok with spending the money. My winter wheel/tire's are 17. The 18x8 is OE (sport models normally come with 18, but since mine is xdrive, they're only 17's for some reason.) But 18x8's, from what I can tell should be fine.

Should I do 255 all the way around? Does that affect the wheel choice? I'm unfortunately still a little hazy about some of this. And yes, it is a heavy car (3800lbs).

If Hawk HPS is no good, is there a recommendation for something else? My current pads are perfectly fine, I just wanted to get something better for a summer full of spirited driving! I don't know if I want actual track day kind of pads yet. Maybe next year, depending on what happens this year.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Closing in on a 2004 330i with the M-Sport package. God I hope this isn't a turd because its exactly the combo I want:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If I saw those wheels on a car on Craigslist I was otherwise interested in I wouldn't even bother calling.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
So tomorrow I have an appointment to fix my one tire that has a bulge on it after hitting a pot hole. I have a 2003 325xi and was just wondering if I'll run into problems by replacing just the one tire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stupid Post Maker posted:

So tomorrow I have an appointment to fix my one tire that has a bulge on it after hitting a pot hole. I have a 2003 325xi and was just wondering if I'll run into problems by replacing just the one tire.

That depends on how worn the other tires are.

If they are very worn you can have a new tire shaved to match tread depth (at the right shop).

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Stupid Post Maker posted:

if the other 3 less than 80% then theoretically yes it places more stress on an AWD drivetrain

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

destructo posted:

If I saw those wheels on a car on Craigslist I was otherwise interested in I wouldn't even bother calling.

The cheapest wheels on discount tire aren't exactly going to look the nicest.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
:ughh:

Well gently caress lovely Virginia drivers, RIP 99 M3 with 77K miles.

Better days:

Beautiful interior:

Totaled:

Other pics if you feel like crying with me: http://imgur.com/a/K6825

Insurance is giving me a little over 11K (and I get to keep the BBS wheels) which is pretty darn close to what I bought it at 3 years and 14K miles ago. I'm having a tough time deciding whether to buy it back and spend forever trying to part it $200 at a time. I made a couple last ditch threads in case some drunk local wants to beat the insurance company's buyback price, not holding out any hope though.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2081968-FS-Rear-end-wrecked-77K-mile-99-M3-for-sale-Not-parting-out!
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2081966-FS-Rear-end-wrecked-77K-mile-99-M3-for-sale-Not-parting-out!-Culpeper-VA

I think I'll remain a lurker in this thread for sentimental reasons :byobear: Back to car shopping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to at least say what happened.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to hear :( that is one slick looking car.

So maybe this is bad timing but... I really want those wheels if you where wanting to get rid of them.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Merging on to a highway with a merge lane, make my way 75% of the way into the lane we're merging into, car in middle lane merges into my lane without checking the blind spot, nudges me into some black ice... 270 degree spin on highway, hit the center divide at 45-50 pretty close to perpendicular, slide about 20 feet. Airbags didn't deploy, not sure if that was because I didn't need them or they didn't work.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Popete posted:

Sorry to hear :( that is one slick looking car.

So maybe this is bad timing but... I really want those LMs if you where wanting to get rid of them.

It's not bad timing, haha. Those are BBS RG-Rs and they're the only thing I'm willing to part out really. 18*8.5 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35/18 with less than 3K on them. If you're local, I'm game to deal!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

voltron posted:

Pile of Sadness

Fuuuuckkkk thattttt.

Whatcha want to get?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

voltron posted:

It's not bad timing, haha. Those are BBS RG-Rs and they're the only thing I'm willing to part out really. 18*8.5 ET35 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35/18 with less than 3K on them. If you're local, I'm game to deal!

I'm not local, in Wisconsin actually. I have no idea what shipping would be but I've been wanting to pickup a set of BBS LM or RG-R for awhile, they are by far my favourite. Shoot me an email if you have a price in mind and are willing to ship (factored in to cost of course).

email:
pwojciechows at gmail dot com

Possibility of shipping:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1866300-How-to-Ship-Wheels-Must-Read!

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Chinatown posted:

Fuuuuckkkk thattttt.

Whatcha want to get?

I have no idea. The car's I've used over the years are:

1989 Mitubishi Tredia
1990 Honda Accord EX (with the sick rear end automatic belts!)
2002 Mazda Protege LX
2009 Honda Civic EX-L
1999 BMW M3

I've never had a convertible or a AWD car, so I was thinking one of those.. maybe an STI or back into a E36 convertible.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This is the worst thing I've seen all day. You literally had the perfect E36 M3, right colors, interior, transmission, steering wheel. The person who merged into you needs to be smacked good and hard. That's a good payout at least. If you're not game for a newer year M I would seriously try to find your clone. I don't see going from what you had to an STi as a decision you would be happy with.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is the worst thing I've seen all day. You literally had the perfect E36 M3, right colors, interior, transmission, steering wheel. The person who merged into you needs to be smacked good and hard. That's a good payout at least. If you're not game for a newer year M I would seriously try to find your clone. I don't see going from what you had to an STi as a decision you would be happy with.

Thanks man. I've never felt attached to a car before (see previous list of poo poo cars). Appreciate the advice on the STI. I can't lie and say that I haven't been keeping an eye on the Bimmerforums for something clean.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
For what its worth I love my E36 M3 vert, so if that's what you're looking for then go for it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...there is a Euro M3 vert for sale over on r3v. To be fair, it was rear ended but still that S50B32...

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

...there is a Euro M3 vert for sale over on r3v. To be fair, it was rear ended but still that S50B32...

Can you send me a link to that? I'm drooling.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

voltron posted:

Can you send me a link to that? I'm drooling.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302951
Euro M3 Evo Vert

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Welp. All the plastic clips(?) that attach the spoiler to that metal bar that runs underneath the bumper shuffled off this mortal coil. At least I noticed it before I got onto the road this morning and the actual spoiler/foglights are still in one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anything to be careful of on a 130k 528i MT other than cooling system and tranny fluids? How expensive are clutch jobs on E39s?