Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Edit: Nevermind, I'll just let the derail die.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Trilineatus posted:

"what if the bathroom needs audio too"

Subwoofers in bathroom - the cure for constipation?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Someone I've posted about in this thread before just bought $50 of Australian currency from one of my employees.

We're in the US.

He has no plans to go to Australia.

This is the guy who is always complaining about how he can't buy food at the end of the month. Why the gently caress do you need Australian Dollars? Oh wait, he showed up today with a fistful of lottery tickets. Of course he needs those sweet ozzie clams for when he wins the lotto and goes touring down under.

fake e: I think this guys just can't really think of anything to talk about other than the weird poo poo he buys. Every conversation I have with him starts something like "so I just bought this totally awesome cast iron skillet with a skull and crossbones on it. ... ... isn't that just totally awesome?" Maybe he spends himself into a black hole because it helps him breifly overcome his crippling social anxiety. I have no idea.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I work with a girl who apparently really wants to buy her first car, but whose financial choices pretty much indicate the exact opposite. In the past 2 months I've heard her talk about dropping $300 online shopping, buying a brand new mattress, getting a full sleeve tattoo, and all sorts of new bedroom furniture.

She's also a terrible driver, and I'm actually disgusted that the government deemed her skilled enough to operate a vehicle. She's already had her license for 4 months, and hasn't practiced since, so I plan on avoiding the roads whenever she inevitably finances a car for 6 years at some absurd interest rate.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Grouco posted:

finances a car for 6 years at some absurd interest rate.

Worked with a dude who somehow managed to get fired from his unionized bus driving gig for his poor driving skills. Which has to be pretty hard to do considering bus drivers have been able to keep their jobs after negligently running over people and causing major accidents.

He unsurprisingly didn't last very long at that job. Last I heard he bought a lovely old crown vic for "only" 17% interest and was happy to find something so low.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Someone I've posted about in this thread before just bought $50 of Australian currency from one of my employees.

We're in the US.

This is the guy who is always complaining about how he can't buy food at the end of the month. Why the gently caress do you need Australian Dollars? Oh wait, he showed up today with a fistful of lottery tickets. Of course he needs those sweet ozzie clams for when he wins the lotto and goes touring down under.

fake e: I think this guys just can't really think of anything to talk about other than the weird poo poo he buys. Every conversation I have with him starts something like "so I just bought this totally awesome cast iron skillet with a skull and crossbones on it. ... ... isn't that just totally awesome?" Maybe he spends himself into a black hole because it helps him breifly overcome his crippling social anxiety. I have no idea.

I have a bunch of euros (maybe $100) sitting in my closet… I went to Europe twice, but I don't think I'm going again anytime soon.

And yet, I can't bring myself to cash them out. I should do that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Leroy Diplowski posted:

We're in the US.

I would do this. When I was working as a server, a couple of Japaneese business men came in and I bought some yen from them because it looked cool.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Did he pay 50 bucks US for it? It's worth about 44 US dollars the moment, I hope he did and that Aussie is laughing his rear end off.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I have a bunch of eastern European money (pre-Euro) that I kept just because I think it's cool. v:shobon:v

And a quick bad with money story:

A coworker of mine developed a bad Starbucks habit this past year. We used to just do latte Fridays, but then that expanded to Mondays and Wednesdays and then basically every day. (I usually only join once or twice a week now). She was complaining about a tight budget near the end of last year so this year she decided to scale back the latte days to twice/thrice a week. Except now I found out that on her new latte days, she has been getting two lattes those days.

Sometimes one for breakfast and one at lunch, sometimes she'll get one in the morning and get another one when we have Starbucks delivered to the office. The worst part is on weeks when she declares three latte days, she'll have six a week which is even worse than last year just getting one every workday. :eng99:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sounds like y'all should pool your money to buy a latte machine...

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can rent them too.

Did that at an office once, 10 buck a week from everyone was enough to rent a sweet machine that they came and serviced and buy the beans and milk.

If you see someone that isn't in the pool taking a coffee you CUT THEM

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jeffrey posted:

Sounds like y'all should pool your money to buy a latte machine...

When I worked at a small appliance shop during college I used to do the math for people on how much one of these things would save and how quickly it would be "paid off" and i'd basically start off with "how many do you drink per week and what type do you get" and just multiply by 52 and watch their eyes fly the gently caress open when they realized they were burning $700+ per year on starbucks. I had about 90% sales success on getting daily latte drinkers to take home a $1000 automatic jura capresso and at least a smaller breville if they wouldn't pony up more than $400.

Educating people on how many dollars they are drinking away is fun.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You just have as many as you want then too, you don't ration your coffee drinking.

Don't be like the mortgage brokers that got one for the office and was saying 'I was feeling really lovely, went to the doc and had heart palpitations, it was bad.. the doc if anything had changed and I just said we got the coffee machine. When I told him I'd have 5 or 6 a day he laughed and said knock that poo poo off'.

Particularly one with the bean grinder in it so you're not drinking the sawdust capsules and you're getting real deal Italian espresso.. the Italians themselves have a couple or three a day and know any more is not good for you! They drink short blacks too, you ask for a latte or a cappuccino in the afternoon and they raise their eyebrows at you. All that milk so late in the day?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tony Montana posted:

You just have as many as you want then too, you don't ration your coffee drinking.

Don't be like the mortgage brokers that got one for the office and was saying 'I was feeling really lovely, went to the doc and had heart palpitations, it was bad.. the doc if anything had changed and I just said we got the coffee machine. When I told him I'd have 5 or 6 a day he laughed and said knock that poo poo off'.

Particularly one with the bean grinder in it so you're not drinking the sawdust capsules and you're getting real deal Italian espresso.. the Italians themselves have a couple or three a day and know any more is not good for you! They drink short blacks too, you ask for a latte or a cappuccino in the afternoon and they raise their eyebrows at you. All that milk so late in the day?

Haha my first trip to Verona, we stayed in a nice hotel that had included breakfast every morning. The wait staff was super nice in general but I never realized how judgmental Italians are if you don't drink an espresso in the morning. I got a cappuccino and the waiter just looked all cockeyed at me every morning but proceeded to go make it.

In Seattle, coffee is a social ritual that is more important than going out for beer after work. If you are trying to save money and choose not to go with your coworkers to get a mid morning coffee, you will eventually be treated like a leper. I've got my own espresso machine and make my own at home but ill frequently tag along and just get a small drip so I don't end up being excluded from all social things with my team.

Coffee and alcohol are so easy to end up in the badwithmoney.txt.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Someone was telling me when they worked in France everyone had lunch out, everyday, together. Like get a long table at the local and it's a family style lunch everyday.

Man.. I mean on Fridays or something we go and get a schnitzel and have a beer.. that's very Aussie and great.. but everyday? It's not even the cost, I just need some space sometimes!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

You can rent them too.

Did that at an office once, 10 buck a week from everyone was enough to rent a sweet machine that they came and serviced and buy the beans and milk.

If you see someone that isn't in the pool taking a coffee you CUT THEM

I don't know, we have 300ish people at just this half of this office so that'd be a lot of cutting. Maybe if we got one and hit it in someone's office and only told the latte pool people...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you got that many people in the office, you might get management to pay for it as part of a morale boosting effort or something.

We're getting one as part of the office remodel, I can't wait.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, it sits on one of the chosen's desks and you are either in the family or not. For 300 people though if you're actually all milling around the same area then you could yell to all of them one morning (or send a group email but I like the idea of addressing the masses like a Roman forum) for something like 50c a week you can have a beast of a machine and it can probably make hot chocolates or whatever to get as many people in as possible. For the few hold outs you can print an A4 sign saying I HATE UNITY and pin it to their cubes.

Last place I worked was the first place without a proper coffee bot, an IT company without free good coffee.. I mean jesus no wonder their stock price sucked. So someone sprung literally 100 bucks out of petty cash for one of those nesspresso lovely things and we all bought our own caps and used the milk that was supplied for drinking with the instant in the kitchen. It did the job, albeit poorly.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Tony Montana posted:

Someone was telling me when they worked in France everyone had lunch out, everyday, together. Like get a long table at the local and it's a family style lunch everyday.

Man.. I mean on Fridays or something we go and get a schnitzel and have a beer.. that's very Aussie and great.. but everyday? It's not even the cost, I just need some space sometimes!

In France, most companies give their workers a lunch allowance or lunch voucher. It's considered a right in France and a boon to the local restaurants so no French worker would even dream of having to bring his lunch.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Sooooo Toulouse has a pretty strong aerospace industry right? I should have taken French instead of Russian in college :negative:.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tigntink posted:

Coffee and alcohol are so easy to end up in the badwithmoney.txt.

One of the very first things I did to get my expenses below my income was to stop buying any liquids, they're like the most profitable items for businesses. It also saves you tons of money while traveling, but you can really gently caress up your digestion and ruin a trip with tap water in some places so.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

yeah, it sits on one of the chosen's desks and you are either in the family or not. For 300 people though if you're actually all milling around the same area then you could yell to all of them one morning (or send a group email but I like the idea of addressing the masses like a Roman forum) for something like 50c a week you can have a beast of a machine and it can probably make hot chocolates or whatever to get as many people in as possible. For the few hold outs you can print an A4 sign saying I HATE UNITY and pin it to their cubes.

Last place I worked was the first place without a proper coffee bot, an IT company without free good coffee.. I mean jesus no wonder their stock price sucked. So someone sprung literally 100 bucks out of petty cash for one of those nesspresso lovely things and we all bought our own caps and used the milk that was supplied for drinking with the instant in the kitchen. It did the job, albeit poorly.

Oh we have three free coffee machines that do tea and hot chocolate and stuff, but apparently lattes are a whole different ground? I don't know I get the frappucino's because I don't like coffee.

Getting a latte machine for the Family wouldn't be a bad idea though.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tigntink posted:

When I worked at a small appliance shop during college I used to do the math for people on how much one of these things would save and how quickly it would be "paid off" and i'd basically start off with "how many do you drink per week and what type do you get" and just multiply by 52 and watch their eyes fly the gently caress open when they realized they were burning $700+ per year on starbucks. I had about 90% sales success on getting daily latte drinkers to take home a $1000 automatic jura capresso and at least a smaller breville if they wouldn't pony up more than $400.

Educating people on how many dollars they are drinking away is fun.

The machine only pays off if you successfully replace the habits too. That said, our Jura maker has paid itself several times over in less than a year, considering the amount of coffee we drink.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tigntink posted:

When I first started my home budgeting, the most revealing moment was when I created a spreadsheet that converted daily and weekly spends into annual amounts.

I discovered that I could solve a significant amount of my problem by simply not buying magazines and by buying chocolate from the supermarket instead of the office vending machine.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

EN Bullshit posted:

What retirement? My goal is to become financially independent. That is not going to happen in a reasonable time frame by saving and waiting for retirement. I have to seek multiple, other forms of income in addition to my job in order to realize that goal.

That's why I kind of scoff at the idea of making a budget. The lack of a budget is not the greatest impediment to me reaching my goal. The greatest impediment is my lack of a good income.

E: In the short-term, though, I guess the way to maximize my savings toward FI is to move to an area with high salaries (San Francisco, NYC), get a decent job, and live in the shittiest, smallest apartment I can find, preferably with a roommate or two.

EN Bullshit posted:

I don't care about reaching financial independence when I'm old enough to take money out of a 401k or IRA. I want to be financially independent in ten years - by the time I'm thirty-five.

Also talks about how he buys sushi all the loving time, and finally hesitantly made a poo poo line item on a budget, but still has no idea how to like, get an apartment? Guy is a total train wreck and it just keeps going, and going. It really does baffle me how disillusioned people can get with their money.

"EN Bullshit [i posted:

On budgeting[/i]" post="426003605"]

It's 2014. I shouldn't even have to think about that. Also, the problem of not having enough money can be solved in two ways:

(1) Spend less money.
(2) Make more money.

I feel like focusing on (2) is the better decision right now.

Also has classic Slowmo syndrome with a side of ballin envy.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Kid expenses are like furniture, cars, computers, or any other expense. You can spend as much or as little as you want. Most areas have a facebook group for passing around used baby stuff as well as a few young mothers' social groups. Between those groups and our friends we have spent zero dollars on our son beyond food and medicine the one time he was sick. His budget category is $200 per month, and I don't think we've ever spent the full amount allowed.

The best part is: He plays really well with other kids, so my wife and I get asked to babysit a lot. (for $$$ of course) It's not really much more bother to watch two toddlers than it is to watch one, so at the end of the day our kid pretty much pulls his own weight in the family finances. We have plans to send him to work at a textile factory as soon as he turns eight.

Joking aside, I get kinda annoyed with people who say "so-and-so shouldn't have kids because they don't make enough money."

Reproductive choice is a basic human right.

"Basic human right" only means you can't be forcibly denied the choice to do whatever it is except in very limited circumstances. It does not mean you have the right to be sheltered from any sort of criticism regarding your choice.

Especially considering the studies conclusively showing that growing up poor significantly hampers mental development. Though by "poor" I of course don't mean "wearing thrift store clothes" so much as "being stuck in a lovely neighborhood where crack is easier to come by than fresh produce".

quote:

In the interest of this thread:

I just went with a friend of mine last night to buy a car. He makes significantly more than I do with no kids or pets, but his car broke down, and he told me he only had $300 to his name. I'm not sure where his money goes, (actually I am: it's expensive food and booze) but he was about to go to one of those no money down, your job is your credit, shady rear end places to get a car.

I remember seeing a thread in Ask/Tell about those places. The OP spoke of his employer selling cars at a crazy markup, and someone else mentioned one whose inventory consisted entirely of upscale vehicles which would appeal to financially irresponsibly types.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Veskit posted:

Also talks about how he buys sushi all the loving time, and finally hesitantly made a poo poo line item on a budget, but still has no idea how to like, get an apartment? Guy is a total train wreck and it just keeps going, and going. It really does baffle me how disillusioned people can get with their money.

Also has classic Slowmo syndrome with a side of ballin envy.

Wait, that's not slowmo!? Link please, I need more schadenfreude.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Noggin Monkey posted:

Wait, that's not slowmo!? Link please, I need more schadenfreude.

All three quotes in his post link to the relevant thread (see "EN Bullshit posted" in the header for each quote). For example:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=426101781#post426101781

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I just posted this in the "PYF Worst Roommate" thread but it really belongs here as it deals with two financial idiots.

fork bomb posted:

I have a friend Adam who went from living alone to rooming with his best friend Clinton... Who promptly lost his job. Adam got a better job around the same time, and was able to cover the difference without too much trouble (not getting in debt, but not saving either). Clinton would find new jobs that never paid more than survival (gas/food money) and end up quitting because he wasn't getting enough hours or he simply didn't like them.

Fast forward to many months later and Adam has now covered over 10k in bills. Not only are they still living together, they have moved to a new place.

I've called Adam out multiple times about this and he knows it's ridiculous, but he's so forgiving because Clinton's family have been his surrogate family here (Adam is from out of state), and Clinton's a super awesome dude (except with money).

Clinton will kick him $50 or $100 "when he can," and his family has paid Adam back a bit as well.

Not only has Clinton been freeloading forever, but at their last place he had the master bedroom. When they moved to the new place, Clinton made noises about wanting the master but Adam said straight up that he was taking the master.

AFAIK, Clinton is working now and covering his portion of the current bills, but I don't think he's paid any of the backlog.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

SpelledBackwards posted:

All three quotes in his post link to the relevant thread (see "EN Bullshit posted" in the header for each quote). For example:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=426101781#post426101781

E/N Bullshit is a guy trolling the EN Subforum, so don't take any of his posts seriously. He's basically going down the EN Checklist for terrible human beings and lots of the people over there are eating it up.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

LMAO! How would having a 401(k) NOT help everyone? Good god, the logic there.

Basically everyone that works with the company is retarded with money or they're set.

The accountant is a self-admitted trust fund baby and doesn't need anymore retirement savings. Thank god he quit.

The owner got rich off of her dead husband.

The owner's kid doesn't work but is paid a salary anyway, that's called retirement in my book.

The secretary and the co-worker I spoke of are just really really bad with money. They're over 55 and don't really have anything to show for it except negative net worth. I used to feel bad for them but I've learned not to, they're literally the most selfish people I've ever met.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Basically everyone that works with the company is retarded with money or they're set.

The accountant is a self-admitted trust fund baby and doesn't need anymore retirement savings. Thank god he quit.

The owner got rich off of her dead husband.

The owner's kid doesn't work but is paid a salary anyway, that's called retirement in my book.

The secretary and the co-worker I spoke of are just really really bad with money. They're over 55 and don't really have anything to show for it except negative net worth. I used to feel bad for them but I've learned not to, they're literally the most selfish people I've ever met.
Even without matching a 401k is worth it if it's with a good company and offers good investments, so I'd at least try to get them to open one without matching. It doesn't cost them anything and it's free tax breaks for employees who contribute.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

spinst posted:

I have a bunch of euros (maybe $100) sitting in my closet… I went to Europe twice, but I don't think I'm going again anytime soon.

And yet, I can't bring myself to cash them out. I should do that.

When I go to a country I keep enough of the local currency when I leave so that if I ever go back, I can get a bite to eat and ground transportation without having to worry about finding an ATM that will work with my card. I've actually used these reserves 4 times. 50 bucks is a pretty reasonable amount for this, maybe a little high; but it wouldn't be a priority for me if I had no intention of going there and had other things that needed that money first.

To contribute some actual content: During the 2008 crash, I let my IRA (to which I should really start contributing again now that I've got money to do so) lose half its meager value even though I could have stopped it, because I forgot my login details and was too depressed over other poo poo to bother finding them, and didn't want to look at it regardless.

Meanwhile my TSP account (accounts now) was doing pretty well, all things considered, and so I am never going to buy individual stocks again myself, because I just do not have the attention span and spare time for it, and any strategy I though I knew once has almost certainly been rendered obsolete by now.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Surely any losses have been recouped at this point if you haven't been touching it?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Yeah, the people that left their money alone were fine during/after the market crash. The people that flipped out and took out their money are the ones who lost out big time.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I know several people with that did exactly that - take out all of their money out of their 401k and actually cash it out during the crash.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I know several people with that did exactly that - take out all of their money out of their 401k and actually cash it out during the crash.

Urgh, this is even more stupid because you pay those deferred taxes AND additional penalties (10% I think?) on cashing out a 401k before retirement age.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
As background, I first met Mark in my first year of university. Matt seemed to find the work easier than the rest of us and was actually helpful in guiding us through the courses. This seemed like a pretty sweet deal for my group of friends, but then we started to get to know one another and talking about our past and where we came from.

It turns out the reason Mark was so good at guiding us through our courses was because he was repeating the year. He got onto the program's waiting list the previous year and didn't get accepted until classes were 1 month in or so. He accepted entry but instead of catching up he just went to half of the lectures, wrote a few exams and gave up halfway through, spending his time playing WoW and staying at home. He was in all of my classes which means he didn't even earn a single credit from the previous year.

I asked him if he had to pay full tuition and he just said "Yea, but whatever its not too much.". 13k per year by the way. He would also insist on buying us gifts whenever we went out even if none of us really wanted anything. Reading BFC I notice that compulsive gift giving is a common trait in people bad with finances.

By the time we graduated, my group of friends stopped hanging around with Mark because we realized he acts like a dick and is condescending to us all the time. Last I heard:

- Planned on buying a new BMW as his first car as soon as he started working. For context we can expect to make 60-70k before Canadian taxes in our field.
- My friend was planning on buying a car, and told Mark about his test drive. Mark's response: "Wow you actually test drive cars??"
- "I'm just going to pay minimum on my student loans, I know I will end up with thousands in interest but I want spending money now!"
- Mark keeps his savings in a chequing account, at 0% interest. He hasn't even bothered opening a savings account, let alone investing it.

I have no idea what he spends his money on though, throughout school all he did in his spare time was stay at home and play WoW.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Guinness posted:

Urgh, this is even more stupid because you pay those deferred taxes AND additional penalties (10% I think?) on cashing out a 401k before retirement age.

Not if you take a loan for the full value to "stop the bleeding". Some people were really retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

PowFu posted:

- "I'm just going to pay minimum on my student loans, I know I will end up with thousands in interest but I want spending money now!"
- Mark keeps his savings in a chequing account, at 0% interest. He hasn't even bothered opening a savings account, let alone investing it.

Is the interest on canadian education loans typically not very low? All but one of mine were 2%. It would definitely be smarter to max out an IRA/401k fir- oh who am I fooling I'm sure he wasn't doing that either.

Also the earnings from savings accounts are pretty terrible right now; 1% if you're lucky. I'm guessing he didn't have a lot of money so 1% wouldn't go very far.

• Locked thread