Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your starter isn't the same thing and it never was. I don't see how the starters even come into the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
lovely pokemon make nuzlockes more interesting. Though admittedly, I did basically just quit trying to keep Beedrill alive after surviving way longer than I thought it would because it never became even a little useful, even against the fighting gym and after learning Poison Jab.

Internet Kraken posted:

But hey, lets pretend that if Beedrill had good stats you could steamroll the early game with it. Think about that for a moment; its imbalanced in the easiest part of the game. Who the gently caress cares if Beedrill could carry you through the early game, you're not gonna have trouble with it regardless unless you are a 6 year old. As it stands now, pokemon like Beedrill get poo poo stats because they evolve early and end up being completely irrelevant later on. Its stupid and serves no purpose.

It's not even good then because about every other pokemon you could have at that point has at least a 40-50 BP STAB attack. Beedrill has Fury Attack.

Beedrill's one of my favorite pokemon design-wise and every time I run into a Weedle I'm invariably like "this time will be different." It's never different.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 21, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's to encourage you to drop stuff and try out new ones.

I'd think all the other stuff in the game would encourage you to do that. Not the nearly invisible base stats that you can't even look at ingame and are only relevant for competitive battling. Plus even if that was the case, that is completely idiotic. So they encourage you to diversify your team by giving some pokemon lovely stats, thus preventing them from being used online and discouraging diversity there. That kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Your starter isn't the same thing and it never was. I don't see how the starters even come into the argument.

You're arguing that they give pokemon early in the game terrible stats because it will somehow encourage you to diversify your team. However, right at the start of the game they hand you a pokemon that can easily carry you through the entire thing solo.

I am Reverend posted:

Beedrill's one of my favorite pokemon design-wise and every time I run into a Weedle I'm invariably like "this time will be different." It's never different.

I love basically all the early bug pokemon so it drives me nuts that they're universally terrible. The inner child in me wants to use an Ariados so much but he's so loving bad.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 21, 2014

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I love basically all the early bug pokemon so it drives me nuts that they're universally terrible. The inner child in me wants to use an Ariados so much but he's so loving bad.

Vivillon is super boss at least. It actually makes how bad Beedrill is even more obvious. Vivillon gets Struggle Bug right after it evolves, an almost perfectly accurate Stun Spore, Draining Kiss to get your health back against Fighting-types and eventually Bug Buzz and Hurricane.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You assume they're balancing this entirely for pvp, which is crazy. They give you a starter to get attached to and basically be your actual main character, the rest are just there for you to test out. You'll drop stuff like Beedrill or whatever when they stop being useful and start looking for new things to try. A cycle which will likely repeat several times before the end of the game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You can catch a Venonat in HG/SS, and it's fairly respectable in that gen. And Vivillon is actually pretty good. Access to quiver dance will do that to ya.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

You assume they're balancing this entirely for pvp, which is crazy.

PvP is the only place where balance is remotely relevant because you can just steamroll your way through the maingame using your starter. They literally hand you an item in this game that makes you crazy overlevled unless you go out of your way not to use it. Oh, and lets not forget that their is a plethora of moves and abilties that serve no point ingame because, again, you can just solo it with your starter.

This game is balanced around PvP. Maybe it wasn't back in the old days but its painfully obvious to anyone that actually plays competitively that they balance the game around it.

EDIT: I mean seriously, do you even play this game? Do you honestly think it is at all balanced around the single player? The single player isn't meant to pose a challenge to anyone over the age of 10. If they want the single player to be balanced they are doing a poo poo job of it because its pathetically easy. The single player is a casual experience that basically anyone can enjoy. Only in competitive does stuff like base stats actually matter.

VV Also this. I mean you're arguing that Beedrill having lovely base stats is somehow critical to the single player experience but I fail to see how it matters at all there. Stats are almost completely invisible, you're not going to realize how poo poo Beedrill is until you look him up online.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 21, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I just don't see a good reason against having more pokemon be viable in competitive play. It's not like it would make the single player experience any worse.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The bug I'm most annoyed about is Masquerain. On evolution it goes from a Pokemon with a unique typing to just another generic bug/flying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

PvP is the only place where balance is remotely relevant

I realize you may be invested in the online component and all but this is just absurd, c'mon. I'm not gonna continue the argument because you seem like you just want to be angry about this, but balance is important for the single player in any game. Every game, even.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Pretty sure the reason some Pokemon are lovely is because Game Freak's balancing priorities and concepts have changed considerably over the years and they're reluctant to make the gigantic sweeping changes needed to change old things from the "just do whatever" era like Ledian or Delibird into competitively viable creatures. It's no coincidence that the vast majority of the really really lovely Pokemon are from Gens 1 and 2; each new gen introduces a few more, but nothing on the scale of Farfetch'd or Unown. And keep in mind, movepools and many moves were a lot worse back then too. Hell, before Gen 3, Gyarados had Flareon Syndrome - the only physical attacks it got were Double-Edge and Body Slam, so it had to fight with its weaker stat, made worse when the Special split cut his Special attacking power considerably.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

I realize you may be invested in the online component and all but this is just absurd, c'mon. I'm not gonna continue the argument because you seem like you just want to be angry about this, but balance is important for the single player in any game. Every game, even.

You're the one being absurd because you're arguing that the single player is balanced when it clearly isn't. I'm not sure why you'd say I "want to be angry about this". Am I not allowed to be annoyed with a pointless design choice that makes a bunch of pokemon I like terrible in competitive? You tried to argue that it serves some point in single player. You utterly failed at doing so and are now acting like I'm being irrational because you can't defend your argument.

Its pokemon. I love this series but Gamefreak aren't exactly the best when it comes to smart game design choices.

EDIT: Though right now I'm more annoyed with you because you're parroting the same tired crap I've read a dozen times before and ignoring every problem with it I've pointed out.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 21, 2014

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I don't know about y'all, but the advent of the Twitch Plays Pokemon, I fired up Pokemon Blue and buhhh. To think, there was a time that WATER GUN was a TM.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SO who wants to help me finish the Kalos dex with doing a trade back on Yveltal?

I have an extra rocky helmet I can give away for the trouble...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I am Reverend posted:

lovely pokemon make nuzlockes more interesting. Though admittedly, I did basically just quit trying to keep Beedrill alive after surviving way longer than I thought it would because it never became even a little useful, even against the fighting gym and after learning Poison Jab.

It's not even good then because about every other pokemon you could have at that point has at least a 40-50 BP STAB attack. Beedrill has Fury Attack.

The preset that everyone's using with Pokemon Absurdity lets you catch Weedle as a rare in Route 1. It stays mostly as-is, but with a better attack.

It gains the Fire type and Blaze Kick upon evolution. :getin:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yestermoment posted:

I don't know about y'all, but the advent of the Twitch Plays Pokemon, I fired up Pokemon Blue and buhhh. To think, there was a time that WATER GUN was a TM.

I tried playing Yellow ages ust because I never played it when it originally was released and I just was annoyed to no end. It's enough of a challenge to play Gen 3 with the old Phys/Special split and stuff. But playing with no RUNNING SHOES and no bike until after the third gym? Get the gently caress out of town.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I tried playing Yellow ages ust because I never played it when it originally was released and I just was annoyed to no end. It's enough of a challenge to play Gen 3 with the old Phys/Special split and stuff. But playing with no RUNNING SHOES and no bike until after the third gym? Get the gently caress out of town.

The walk speed isn't too bad in R/B for my tastes.

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

I remember the Water Gun TM was pretty good if you bought the Magikarp since Gyarados' level up moves were so spread out.

Mega Punch was ok for Abra until it evolved too.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Yestermoment posted:

I have a way easier time replaying gen 1 than gen 2. At least in RBY the TM's are powerful enough to make up for the poo poo movepools. Body Slam, Thunderbolt, 100 BP Dig, etc. GSC has like this weird power drop where the TM's are all lovely, the new pokemon are generally really weak and nothing learns anything.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

I am Reverend posted:

I have a way easier time replaying gen 1 than gen 2. At least in RBY the TM's are powerful enough to make up for the poo poo movepools. Body Slam, Thunderbolt, 100 BP Dig, etc. GSC has like this weird power drop where the TM's are all lovely, the new pokemon are generally really weak and nothing learns anything.

I learned this from speedrunning, but the Gen 1 games are super broken, thanks to OHKO moves being tied to the Pokémon's Speed stat. Thankfully they fixed that with Gen 2.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Wilhemina posted:

I remember the Water Gun TM was pretty good if you bought the Magikarp since Gyarados' level up moves were so spread out.

What's interesting is that in Gen I Gyarados actually learned most of its best moves at level 1 which could make it somewhat difficult to deal with early trainers who have one, such as your rival if you didn't pick Charmander. Learned that the hard way through a Nuzlocke (rip Sandslash). It's unfortunate though that you couldn't really take advantage of this yourself since Gyarados weren't catchable in the wild until Yellow and only in Fuchsia.

Looking back at some Gen I stats did you guys know that Charizard's special stat was 85 :shepface:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cerony posted:

What's interesting is that in Gen I Gyarados actually learned most of its best moves at level 1 which could make it somewhat difficult to deal with early trainers who have one, such as your rival if you didn't pick Charmander. Learned that the hard way through a Nuzlocke (rip Sandslash). It's unfortunate though that you couldn't really take advantage of this yourself since Gyarados weren't catchable in the wild until Yellow and only in Fuchsia.

Looking back at some Gen I stats did you guys know that Charizard's special stat was 85 :shepface:
Do you know the fire type with the second best special stat (second to Moltres)? Flareon.

Yep.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I am Reverend posted:

It drops the TMs for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt and replaces them with Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. There's also Fire Punch too since this was before Flamethrower got its own TM and you can also settle with Fire Blast for a power move but it has so few power points. Fortunately those TMs are bought in the Goldenrod Department Store and Game Corner, so as long as you run a team full of human-shape Pokemon you're okay.

That still doesn't excuse how goofy the selection of TMs was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You were supposed to put Megapunch on Clefairy. :colbert: Clefable destroyed everything for about the first three or four gyms. Even learns Flash.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nihilarian posted:

Do you know the fire type with the second best special stat (second to Moltres)? Flareon.

Yep.
Back in Gen I, I remember my friends just using parties of six Mews. The senior trombone section leader named all his variations on "Tiki-God," it was great.

I loved Psychic types, though, so my entire lineup was, like, Alakazam, Golduck, Hypno, Starmie, Mr Mime, and Bulbasaur because he was my starter.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I recently started a new game in Spanish so that I could get some practice in. I absolutely love how Thundershock in Spanish is Impactrueno. Also, "wow" is spelled "guau". That tripped me up when I first saw it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The greatest crime in viability is when adorable pocket monsters pay the price in stats. I'd much rather use the dapper little Murkrow and not the terrible abomination Klefki. Breloom manages to be the cutest bird/dinosaur/kangaroo on the block and still run hog wild though, thankfully

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nippon nifties posted:

The greatest crime in viability is when adorable pocket monsters pay the price in stats. I'd much rather use the dapper little Murkrow and not the terrible abomination Klefki. Breloom manages to be the cutest bird/dinosaur/kangaroo on the block and still run hog wild though, thankfully

Good news; Murkrow is perfectly viable as a prankster. Its defenses are miserable but it gets to use eviolite to bolster them. Combine that with priority roost's healing and Murkrow can be surprisingly durable. He has access to a good amount of support moves, including quash which no other prankster gets. Its a weird move but it lets Murkrow seriously disrupt the enemies plans as you gently caress up the turn order. Murkow can run a lot of different sets, he's just harder to fit into a team than Klefki or Sableye because their types are so drat good.

Prankster is probably the best designed ability in the game. Almost every pokemon with prankster is viable and they all have their own niche to work with so they don't get eclipsed.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ed the Bedrill was a key part of my A-team this game, terrible stats or no. Someone needed to do the False Swiping and the Cutting, and Poison Jab did most of the work in the Fairy gym (Klefki and Mawile aside). So what if the rest of the team had to carry him through the Elite Four, he deserves that Hall of Fame space.

(Granted, I am a massive casual.)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Paul.Power posted:

Ed the Bedrill was a key part of my A-team this game, terrible stats or no. Someone needed to do the False Swiping and the Cutting, and Poison Jab did most of the work in the Fairy gym (Klefki and Mawile aside). So what if the rest of the team had to carry him through the Elite Four, he deserves that Hall of Fame space.

(Granted, I am a massive casual.)

Yeah, that's great and all, but wouldn't it be better if Beedril could win you battles against other players too? I mean, I don't see how that would make your single player experience any worse if Beedril suddenly could hit harder than a ball of wet noodles.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zoness posted:

Yeah, that's great and all, but wouldn't it be better if Beedril could win you battles against other players too? I mean, I don't see how that would make your single player experience any worse if Beedril suddenly could hit harder than a ball of wet noodles.
True, there's that. I was mostly replying to the people who were saying "it's Beedrill, you're supposed to drop it from the party when something better comes along."

Apart from anything else, I'm just baffled that Beedrill doesn't learn Bug Buzz. Bees do a lot more buzzing that butterflies.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I bred a shiny Marill without using the Matsuda method! With Thick Fat and Timid nature. :negative:
At least it has great IVs and Belly Drum & Aqua Jet, so it's still kinda usable.

Anyway, usable Pokemon: Even if the "early Pokemon are poo poo" would apply, you could greatly expand the potential through egg moves, move tutors and hidden abilities.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

horriblePencilist posted:

I bred a shiny Marill without using the Matsuda method! With Thick Fat and Timid nature. :negative:
At least it has great IVs and Belly Drum & Aqua Jet, so it's still kinda usable.
poo poo dude this right here is why I refused to roll for a shiny on the rest of my team. I am not getting a shiny Froakie just to find that it isn't Protean or that my Togepi doesn't have Serene Grace, and I'm really not getting a shiny Snivy just to find out it isn't female.

Fennekin and Honedge, I didn't care about the genders and they don't have any other variables. Everyone else is too much of a crapshoot. Well, I guess I could've gone for a Trapinch too but I bred two goddamn shinies, I'm not going in for a third even if probability is still on my side.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo dude this right here is why I refused to roll for a shiny on the rest of my team. I am not getting a shiny Froakie just to find that it isn't Protean or that my Togepi doesn't have Serene Grace, and I'm really not getting a shiny Snivy just to find out it isn't female.

Fennekin and Honedge, I didn't care about the genders and they don't have any other variables. Everyone else is too much of a crapshoot. Well, I guess I could've gone for a Trapinch too but I bred two goddamn shinies, I'm not going in for a third even if probability is still on my side.

My first shiny in X/Y was a Togepi with Hustle and it's such a good pokemon not having Serene Grace didn't kill it. Hell I used it to earn the BP to get Serene Grace via Ability Capsule in the first place :v:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've been watching the Pokemon series and I finally made it up to the Hoenn region, which is great because that was my first pokemon game. And Brock even makes a comeba-

Hi I'm May and I'm 10-years-old!

:gbsmith:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Desperate Character posted:

My first shiny in X/Y was a Togepi with Hustle and it's such a good pokemon not having Serene Grace didn't kill it. Hell I used it to earn the BP to get Serene Grace via Ability Capsule in the first place :v:
Ohhhhh, right, Ability Capsule is a thing now, isn't it? I guess I could... but I also want it to be a boy so I can name it Coryoon like that niche PCE shooter :downs:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Half of my group just died to that Axew trainer since I had nothing to take it on, so I'm down to 3 pokemon now. Luckily, my next battle (first encounter in the route) was an Absol, so my group is now Absol, Venasaur, Frogadier, and Medicham. It's looking good.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
My stud efforts are moving along pretty nicely ever since I've settled with having 3 5IV-Pokemon for each Egg group. It's not perfect, but offers me enough choice to get a crack at great IVs within 2-3 generations. I'm gonna end up with some leftover studs to eliminate overlap. Does anyone want some 5IV Scraggies and Marills?

Oh and yes I am so going for the Ability Capsule on Marill. If that wasn't an option I'd drop that shiny like an ugly baby.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So I have the hardest decision to make.

I want to restart my X game and try a Nuzlocke run. Trouble is, I dunno if I want to do a Wonderlocke run and let Wonder Trade decide my fate, or Nuzlocke and see how far me and Froakie go.

:ohdear: Why is Pokemon so hard you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Classtoise posted:

So I have the hardest decision to make.

I want to restart my X game and try a Nuzlocke run. Trouble is, I dunno if I want to do a Wonderlocke run and let Wonder Trade decide my fate, or Nuzlocke and see how far me and Froakie go.

:ohdear: Why is Pokemon so hard you guys

Do a Nuzlocke in my opinion. I started a wonderlocke but then realized I would be playing my 3DS away from Wifi sometimes, which kind of killed it for me.

• Locked thread