Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone join!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Khel play some ranked games you jerk, no reason to play unranked

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Just play some 9x9 or something khel

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Someone play 5 ranked 9x9 with me when I get home!

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Oh man, I have way too many games going on OGS now. I'm up to 16, no wonder I don't play live games anymore.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit, I challenged you on the ladder.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Request to join on OGS as danbo. Thanks to Xom for helping me review some of my games on KGS.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hmm the ranking system on ogs doesnt make much sense. I'm 27k and beat someone who was 19k and didnt go up even one rank. Maybe i should just adjust my rank manually.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Cho Chikun Elementary progress: 201/900 :toot:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I tried my hand at 20 of them for ~20 minutes, can you tell me if my first move is right?

1. b19
2. b19
3. e18
4. d19
5. c19 twice
6. d19
7. d19 and then e18
8. a18
9. a19 and then e19
10. b19
11. d19 and then e18
12. d19 twice
13. d19 and then either e19 or e18 depending on white.
14. a19 and then d19 and then possible e18 again if white tries to still live.
15. b19 and if white e19 then c19
16. b19 and if white takes c19
17. b18, if white c19 then a18. If white c17 then a19.
18. a18
19. b19
20. b17

Hopefully I didn't mess up the coordinates. :cripes:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 21, 2014

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

9. a19 and then e19

a19 leads to white b19, and then black can't take away a second eye at c19.

Kheldragar posted:

14. a19 and then d19 and then possible e18 again if white tries to still live.

I think you may have wrong coordinates here... or are we looking at different problems? There is already a white stone at e18.

Kheldragar posted:

17. b18, if white c19 then a18. If white c17 then a19.

Huh? b18 leads to a ko when white plays a18. White can't play c17 as there is a black stone already there? Anyway, there is a better way than ko.

Kind of complicated, but white can throw in at a19 and then block at a17 after the capture. If black connects, white capturing makes miai of a19 and e19. Otherwise, white can play c19 (or d19 if black wants to play c19) to guarantee two eyes.

After this white b19 leads to a ko. There's a better way.

All the rest are correct!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

For 14 I mean f18.
9 Is b19 and :psyduck: Why did I say a?
b19 for 20 seems simple enough if white b17 and then black b18. If white a18 then b17.

Besides that :toot:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

I tried my hand at 20 of them for ~20 minutes, can you tell me if my first move is right?

UNREADABLE poo poo

Hopefully I didn't mess up the coordinates. :cripes:
  1. Placement in the middle of the straight three.
  2. 1-2 point, resulting in connect-and-die.
  3. Connect, resulting in straight four.
  4. Descent resulting in oshi-tsubushi.
  5. Connect inside.
  6. "Cross-cut hane".
  7. "Knight's hane".
  8. Descent to the left 1-2 point, blocking the hane.
  9. Hane OR placement at the 1-2 point.*
  10. 1-2 point.
  11. Attach under with knight's move, blocking the descent.
  12. Crawl from "cross-cut hane", blocking the descent.
  13. Crawl from "knight's hane", blocking the descent.
  14. "Knight's hane" OR placement at the 1-2 point.
  15. Crawl from hane OR placement at the 1-2 point.
  16. Placement at the 1-2 point.
  17. One-space jump to the left 1-2 point.
  18. "Cross-cut hane".
  19. Hane (either side works).
  20. Descent to the upper 1-2 point.

*Note this case where the placement fails:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

39 is the first somewhat tricky one, requiring an "under the stones" capture to live. I'm not sure I've ever seen that come up in a real game, though it's an old favorite of tsumego designers.

xopods fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 21, 2014

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
someone on OGS just abused an obvious misclick of mine and ignored my undo requests to turn a loss into a win by resignation and now i feel like i want to throw a go board at someone.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

someone on OGS just abused an obvious misclick of mine and ignored my undo requests to turn a loss into a win by resignation and now i feel like i want to throw a go board at someone.

You should learn the art of the nuclear Tesuji; it may come to save you sooner or later.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Woo, attack and defense arrived today

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

its a great book

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
felt pretty awesome figuring out how to kill this group. http://online-go.com/game/504934

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

uranus posted:

felt pretty awesome figuring out how to kill this group. http://online-go.com/game/504934

White should have gotten seki but decided to kill himself anyway. But you still probably would have won.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Dear whoever, I am not changing the topic in ITGO. I never touch it, I just invite people into the room, so stop thinking it's me, thanks!! :)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Peantoo is the one removing the message. I don't know who is readding it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Svartvit posted:

Wins and losses only matter in a tournament context. Rating is only a crude measure of progress, not a goal in and of itself. The vast majority of Go players - especially those on the internet - forget these things. If your opponent is so fixated on getting a win that he's going to refuse to undo an obvious clicko, he's really only cheating himself.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Up to 60 on the 9x9 ladder woo

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

The second Gu Li/Lee Sedol game starts in about 4 hours. Is everybody gathering on KGS again?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AGA posted:

Lee Sedol-Gu Li Jubango Game 2 Broadcast Set for Feb 22 (US time)

The second game in the historic Lee Sedol-Gu Li jubango will be broadcast live on GoPanda2 on February 23, starting at 9AM local time in Shanghai (2/22 5p PST, 8p EST). Myungwan Kim 9P will provide live commentary (written, not audio) beginning two hours later (2/22 7p PST, 10p EST). “I hope Gu Li can show a good fighting spirit and even up the match,” Kim says.
I assume Go Game Guru also will broadcast the game, though I don't see a post about it on their website.

Maybe on KGS someone will put a board up in ITGO again.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
I'll be joining a bit late but I'm planning on being around to watch. I'm sure someone will relay to ITGO. If there isn't one by the time I'm on I'll do it myself.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm going to be watching the UFC event tonight but I guess I can have the Go game open in the background and check in during the walkouts and boring chatter between fights.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'll relay again until the guy with the USGO account sobers up enough to start doing it again.

And doing any limited translation of wbaduk comments until whenever/if there is any.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

So who won? Gu Li looked to be way way ahead when I went to bed, but despite the monstrous moyo forming, Sedol was still calmly playing honte so it seemed like he felt it was all going according to plan.

EDIT: Wow. W+0.5. I called it! Going to see how it went down now. You can get it here.

xopods fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 23, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Apparently he was leading comfortably and screwed up the end game. Not so intriguing for the games of the century.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It's one of those games where the final board looks really in favour of black, but isn't. But that just might be me.

Anyway, today is a good day. Lots of coffee, and going through my books

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Still waiting on my copy of The second Book of Go. :sigh:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
JUBANGO Chinese language stream recording

Xom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

A lesson on tournament play.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Anyway, today is a good day. Lots of coffee, and going through my books

That's quite a range of difficulty levels. Well, The Direction of Play specifically is way more advanced than the others.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I keep going through those videos. They're both relaxing and informative!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

xopods posted:

That's quite a range of difficulty levels. Well, The Direction of Play specifically is way more advanced than the others.

Yeah it does look a bit misleading. To be honest, the Problem books, Second Book of Go and Tesuji have been read cover-to-cover. I'm really only reading Life and Death at the mo. Direction is like you say a bit heavy, I bought it last year because I wanted something "different" to read on the way to work. Turns out it's really a sit down with the goban book anyway.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uranus I have challenged you, too, on the ogs ladder.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah it does look a bit misleading. To be honest, the Problem books, Second Book of Go and Tesuji have been read cover-to-cover. I'm really only reading Life and Death at the mo. Direction is like you say a bit heavy, I bought it last year because I wanted something "different" to read on the way to work. Turns out it's really a sit down with the goban book anyway.

You should master all the problems in Yang Yilun's ingenious life and death problems vol 2. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This is my entire book collection:

Tesuji is a really good book. I'm going through it again and this time I plan to finish all of it.

The other book is a rarity (title translation: Journey to the Kingdom of Go), I found it by accident hidden in a bookstore. It's from 1987 and probably the only brazilian book about go. It says volume 1 but I'm pretty sure it's the only one that was released.

It's full of random pictures like these, the author loves to use japanese terms for every thing (who the hell says hirageru?) and literally a third of the book is dedicated to comment a game between Kitani Minoru (B) and Iwamoto Kaoru (W) in 1949. It's a pretty cool game actually.