Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khriptik
Mar 5, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Noob question: I've been playing EVE for about a week, and most of my skills are focused on logistics and trading... if I want to apply to goonwaffe in 4-5 months when I'm not a complete retard anymore, is there a common core of skills or specific ship I should be working towards? I'm liking EWAR thus far, mainly because it's extremely cheap in skills and ISK, but surprisingly effective against players with much better equipment and ability.

Hey mate, can you tell me how Groon goes for you? Currently in the same alliance as a bunch of sperg-ridden roleplayers (not providence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Vatek posted:

Sure, if they remove the skillpoint loss on t3's.

This would be the best. Auto upgrading clones would be nice too. I spent the first three days in 0-W in an alpha clone. :shobon:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

InterFaced posted:

This would be the best. Auto upgrading clones would be nice too. I spent the first three days in 0-W in an alpha clone. :shobon:

Having trained jump drive calibration 5 three times on the same character, making sure my pod is up-to-date is something I check far more frequently than I probably need to. A mechanic I wouldn't miss at all.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
Is it likely you will get podded in fleet engagements? It seems like it wouldn't be beneficial to a fleet to try and pod someone as you lose DPS on actual ships.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Server ticks are 1 second, so all actions take at least 1 second to execute regardless of how long they actually take. So at best it takes 1 second to lock and another second to activate a module like a warp disruptor.

It's more accurate to say that all actions are resolved in one second blocks, with a hierarchical order. I think the above assessment is correct. When I hit warp, it takes a second for the server to both do "cloak dropped" and "begun aligning". In the next second, my cloak drop is shown to everyone else (the command must be processed before it can be delivered to others), and they start locking. Mods cannot fire until lock is obtained. In the next block, they have a lock, and their pre-fired warp disruptor locks on.

3 second minimum.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FoF posted:

I will admit I completely forgot to take in account the ship itself lock range and not the range of the disruptors.
Remember also that sensor disruptors get kinda crappy in falloff.

quote:

In engagements that are limited due to b0tlrd and not full coalition vs coalition fights, then yes a triage carrier is really good.
Massed triage carriers are in fact so good in giant coalition vs coalition fights that every doctrine in widespread use specifically takes them out of the picture via alpha damage. Nobody brings triage carriers to a fight anymore because the triage carriers have already won all the battles it was possible for them to win.

That's not what happens when something is not good enough and needs to be buffed.

quote:

If 2000 of those 4000 show up to defend their space and 3000 of the 40000 show up to take it who is actually fighting harder for it?
A for effort only matters in grade school (and themepark mmos).

How come nobody in N3 was willing to get into stealth bombers and siege random RUS systems for a couple hours?
Ask that question and you have the reason why, ultimately, the CFC's balance perspective has a ton more legitimacy than the N3PL side, as articulated by Grath. The CFC was willing to do pretty much anything to win. For several weeks we ran into the slowcat / Wrecking Ball fleet, for which the only counter was "get more supers than your opponent". (Oh, and some other ~secret~ tactics that Grath swore existed but wouldn't reveal.) Who has the most supers is a loving stupid balance, but oops, looks like we did have the most anyways.

N3PL was willing to fight but only so long as these conditions were met:
*they didn't need to recruit and make equal partners with the inferior low-skill masses from TEST, EMP, various minor southern alliances, and sundry former abandoned allies
*they could avoid fielding any subcap counter to FYF by assigning drones to a ship immune to ewar
*none of their line pilots had to put in a lot of time commitment
*they thought that capital escalations would always go their way because they had supercap supremacy
So why exactly should Grath's bitching bear any loving weight whatsoever? In hindsight it reads as nothing more than "I should be able to dunk on whoever I like because PL has SP and Big Ships."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

InterFaced posted:

What'd you end up doing, did you just lose a skill the next time you got podded or did you get lucky flying back to 1V?

Lowkin posted:

Is it likely you will get podded in fleet engagements? It seems like it wouldn't be beneficial to a fleet to try and pod someone as you lose DPS on actual ships.

I got podded twice during yesterday's breakout attempt in 0-W, and I was just flying some unimportant Celestis. And there were tons and tons of BNI and N3 cruisers on the killmail, like an excessive number against something that just provides a little bit of remote dampening. Our enemies aren't that smart

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 21, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Thanks for the wrecks tonight, goons. It is unfortunate that my university's internet is deciding to be a shitshow as we move upon the weekend. :negative:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
EN24 has hit a new low...they are letting Snot Shot write columns. :cripes:

quote:

The most obvious core agenda RL money maker protected by the CFC coalition is the propaganda website created by The Mitanni of the GSF. The typical CFC pilot would take a bullet in RL to protect The Mittani and the money he makes from his website. The website is a powerful propaganda tool which nets him interviews, exposure in the gaming media, and shapes the identity of the CFC pilot as they drink the narrative from it like one would from a fire hose. What’s the narrative they follow? The narrative that protects the core agenda RL money maker is “it’s us against them”. Following this narrative in a video game is simple, easy for the line pilot to understand, and can be directed at a target with little effort. Would these CFC line pilots do the same for their CEO or Alliance? Probably not due to the fact that their in game identity is worth more as a CFC pilot (aka mistaken Goon) than it is as just a (insert name here) Alliance pilot.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Just took part in my first PvP fight ever, in Groon. It was like a submarine fight, waiting, waiting, waiting and then hectic actions. Got blasted into pieces in moments and podded soon after, but drat that was fun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

smg77 posted:

Why yes I would take a bullet for any of my internet goon friends

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

smg77 posted:

The most obvious core agenda RL money maker protected by the CFC coalition is the propaganda website created by The Mitanni of the GSF. The typical CFC pilot would take a bullet in RL to protect The Mittani and the money he makes from his website. The website is a powerful propaganda tool which nets him interviews, exposure in the gaming media, and shapes the identity of the CFC pilot as they drink the narrative from it like one would from a fire hose. What’s the narrative they follow? The narrative that protects the core agenda RL money maker is “it’s us against them”. Following this narrative in a video game is simple, easy for the line pilot to understand, and can be directed at a target with little effort. Would these CFC line pilots do the same for their CEO or Alliance? Probably not due to the fact that their in game identity is worth more as a CFC pilot (aka mistaken Goon) than it is as just a (insert name here) Alliance pilot.

God its like a horrible, pretentious, 2clvr4u high school essay. :barf:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Khriptik posted:

Hey mate, can you tell me how Groon goes for you? Currently in the same alliance as a bunch of sperg-ridden roleplayers (not providence).

Absolutely! I just finished my application (non-pixel butts were required and had to be edited in after the fact), assuming I'm not too retarded or moronic to admit, I'll get back to you- hoping for loads of fun-having :)

cajunspitfire
Feb 16, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

I use a claw to clear siphons off of my moons :byodood:

Stealth bombers do it faster and have the ability to cloak. Just sayin'

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Lowkin posted:

Podding starts to really suck at high sp, especially with implants. My clones are 21 million, and I was routinely running 50-100 million in implants when running ahacs or tier 3s.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Khriptik posted:

Get out, join groon. Its never been easier to hang around as a newbie since we have random people taking out frig/inty/T1 Cruiser fleets a plenty.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

cajunspitfire posted:

Stealth bombers do it faster and have the ability to cloak. Just sayin'

They don't have interdiction nullification. I have cleared two siphons since I took these moons four months ago.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Lowkin posted:

There are always guys in thrashers or instacanes popping pods in fleetfights. Always. Not that I'd ever do such a thing, stop looking at me like that! :haw: o

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 21, 2014

cajunspitfire
Feb 16, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

They don't have interdiction nullification. I have cleared two siphons since I took these moons four months ago.

I agree, there is that. I normally use bombers to clear ones when doing GSOL work. I use cepters for cynos.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Get out, join groon. Its never been easier to hang around as a newbie since we have random people taking out frig/inty/T1 Cruiser fleets a plenty.

Are these frig/inty/T1 fleets operated at a net loss? I am not sure I wanna leave the teet of Hi-sec yet

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Lowkin posted:

Are these frig/inty/T1 fleets operated at a net loss? I am not sure I wanna leave the teet of Hi-sec yet

Are you kidding me

get out while you still caaaaaaaaaan

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You're already running at a net loss. You lost irrecoverable moments of your one and only life playing EVE Online.

Khriptik
Mar 5, 2013
Also, opinion on RvB? Was a part of it for a little bit, but ran out of ISK and had to make it back (WTs made it a bitch, so I had to leave).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lowkin posted:

T1 frigs and cruisers are generally handed out for free. Don't be a bitch, join groon today.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is zKillboard wonky? I have a bunch of infantry kills and some POCOs that aren't showing up for my character, and it seems like PvP activity in my wormhole isn't being accurately reported either.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Das Butterbrot posted:

There are always guys in thrashers or instacanes popping pods in fleetfights. Always. Not that I'd ever do such a thing, stop looking at me like that! :haw: o

SensorBoostedInstaCane was some of the most fun I had in Fleet fights. Sure you were supposed to be working on AAA defence and shooting bombers, but pod popping was more fun and now you can see how many implants you're destroying, more satisfying.

Are anti-bomber instacanes still used in fleets in small numbers as an anti-bomber force? Are they still useful vs Interceptors?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

smg77 posted:

quote:

The typical CFC pilot would take a bullet in RL to protect The Mittani and the money he makes from his website.

Yes, I would definitely get myself shot because internet spaceships is serious business. Also nice going on deadzoning N3s staging system :toot:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

smg77 posted:

A Snot Shot post without smiles and winks punctuating every sentence? That can't be right.

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
Is there some grand conspiracy where everyone who hates Goonswarm cannot spell the Mittani's name correctly? Seriously, you'd think that there would be at least one articulate goon critic out there.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finnankainen posted:

Is there some grand conspiracy where everyone who hates Goonswarm cannot spell the Mittani's name correctly? Seriously, you'd think that there would be at least one articulate goon critic out there.

We tend to hire the better (i.e. functionally literate) ones to do articles for TMC. There's no doubt there's a lot of pro-goon stuff there, but there's definitely some rational counterarguments that get published. Not that the mouth breathing grr-goons crowd accept it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finnankainen posted:

This is their way to destabilise the Mittani and destroy the GoonSwarm. :v:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What would be the best way to cheaply fit a t1 frig to harass solo interceptors?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

causticBeet posted:

What would be the best way to cheaply fit a t1 frig to harass solo interceptors?

Light missle Kestrels are going to be your best bet.

xlr82xs
Sep 9, 2008

Sprawl posted:

Light missle Kestrels are going to be your best bet.

An interceptor is going to out pace the explosion velocity though. Of course they will probably out traverse your turrets too.

I'd try auto cannons and webs.

So a slasher or rifter.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

xlr82xs posted:

An interceptor is going to out pace the explosion velocity though. Of course they will probably out traverse your turrets too.

So a slasher or rifter.

However light missiles will still do damage (eve explosion mechanics are stupid, who knew :ccp:), and interceptors have all the armor of a wet paper bag. That's also why the current Fuckyoufleet gets light missiles instead of light guns.

xlr82xs
Sep 9, 2008

blowfish posted:

However light missiles will still do damage (eve explosion mechanics are stupid, who knew :ccp:), and interceptors have all the armor of a wet paper bag. That's also why the current Fuckyoufleet gets light missiles instead of light guns.

Ah. Last time (years ago) I was trying anti interceptor duty they would take 0s from missiles.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

xlr82xs posted:

So a slasher or rifter.

Currently an interceptor takes about 33% of light missile damage which is why I suggested it also because it has a long enough range that they cant dip in and out of the fire zone because interceptor also use light missiles.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
If you fit for close range, be careful about being kited by Crows and Maledictions. Look up the Slingshot technique for fighting kiting ships. The good news is once you lock them down, they can't do anything except overheat everything, then die. Gallente ships are excellent for frigate brawling, the Tristan is slow but a full rack of lights and blasters shred most frigates, and the Incursus has a 10mbit drone bay and a sick local rep bonus.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Germstore posted:

Would there be a practical way for interceptors to be restricted so they can either have guns or be nullified but not both? That would possibly lead to some interesting choices. Either you have to refit with a mobile depot in a nearby system, and take a few jumps without being nullified, or have to spend the time refitting in system. You'd also have the choice of leaving the depot in space, and not having to wait the 60 seconds to set it up again but risking it getting probed down and destroyed while you're loving with people.

Sure, the nullification module that has been discussed could do it. Make it use the appropriate ammount of PG and CPU and then you will need to downgrade your weapons to be able to fit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So here's a thing: if FYF is so fundamentally overpowered, how come we almost never see it being fielded outside the CFC? I know this echoes Grath's "if you want to win, bring more supers" idiocy to some extent but it seems a little more achievable to form up a bunch of T1 cruisers.

• Locked thread