Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Brovine posted:

The engineering work recently along the Lea Valley lines, which is (as far as I know) total track renewal moving northwards, has got me wondering. Any chance someone in the know can do an effortpost on track laying/renewal processes and so forth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKcTbYDP7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
http://news.stv.tv/tayside/259407-andrew-davidson-tried-to-have-sex-with-drinks-trolley-on-board-train/

quote:

A train passenger was caught trying to have sex with the on-board drinks trolley after downing a cocktail of alcohol and legal highs.

Andrew Davidson attempted the bizarre coupling while shouting "I want to kiss you" at the trolley.

Fiscal depute Jim Eodanable told the court on Tuesday: "This happened on the train from Dundee to Perth at 5.45 pm. The staff member was serving drinks and snacks from the trolley.

"The accused had previously asked to purchase a can of beer from her but had been told she had run out. He approached again and tried to engage her in conversation.

"Just prior to arriving in Dundee station he asked if he could kiss her and she said no. This was heard by passengers who were concerned for her safety.

The court was told that Davidson tried to pull her closer and embrace her again but she managed to break free and left the train, leaving her trolley and cash float behind.

He said: "The accused was then seen trying to sit on the lap of another female passenger, before falling onto his face. He was rubbing his chest, sticking his tongue out and shouting about what he wanted to do to his boyfriend. He got back to his feet.

"He then approached the unattended trolley and started rubbing himself against the trolley.

'"The train had moved off and the British Transport Police were waiting for him in Perth. They found him lying face down near the train door. He indicated that he didn't remember any of the incident."

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I was on the train home from work last night, fairly late (I believe it was the 9:10 from Farringdon to Kentish Town), and got on the front carriage. Sat down, then looked around. There were two other people in the carriage with me, one guy with his face covered - hood, bandana across his face - who looked a bit like a protestor and was acting kinda shifty, and another normal looking guy. The face-covered guy then spent the next two stops scratching his signs into the windows, and graffing all the bits of the train that weren't window. The normal guy got off at St Pancras. Train terminated at Kentish Town, where I got off and told the lady at the station exactly what had happened, who walked off to 'let the boys know'.
I felt guilty for not saying anything on the train, but I was honestly pretty scared as well as tired, and didn't like the idea of aggravating someone with no one else to witness it.

Is there any way I can find out what happened as a result? I continued going home after alerting the Customer Service lady, so didn't see any fallout.

tl;dr: I felt loving awkward for 10 mins while a guy scratched and graffed up the inside of a train in front of me. Told the authorities, then left.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Speaking of Worst Capital Connect, christ this morning was a clusterfuck of cancellations, making it up as they go along and no information to passengers. My personal highlight was ending up at the station I started out at, having been travelling for an hour and then being told to go back and find another way. Good thing the railways are efficiently run by titans of industry to make sure I was only an hour and 20 minutes late to a job interview, I can't fathom how late I'd have been if it was run by the state like the tube!

Also love FCC's requirement to include a picture of your ticket for their refund scheme, I hope they enjoy my photo of an oyster card.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also love FCC's requirement to include a picture of your ticket for their refund scheme, I hope they enjoy my photo of an oyster card.

Isn't this a standard thing? I've had to do it when getting refunds from Virgin and East Coast. And East Coast never gave me my refund, the shits.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Speaking of Worst Capital Connect, christ this morning was a clusterfuck of cancellations, making it up as they go along and no information to passengers. My personal highlight was ending up at the station I started out at, having been travelling for an hour and then being told to go back and find another way. Good thing the railways are efficiently run by titans of industry to make sure I was only an hour and 20 minutes late to a job interview, I can't fathom how late I'd have been if it was run by the state like the tube!

Problem north of St. Pancras, entire Wimbledon Loop goes down. Maybe we should cut the loop off at Blackfriars to allow for a better, more frequent, more reliable service? Oh wait...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Metrication posted:

Problem north of St. Pancras, entire Wimbledon Loop goes down. Maybe we should cut the loop off at Blackfriars to allow for a better, more frequent, more reliable service? Oh wait...

It's the southern London counterpart to Camden Town. It'd be much less of an operational headache the Wimbledon loop to be cut off and the Northern Line split into two (especially given the extension to Battersea), but it'll never happen because the residents are too lazy to walk between platforms.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
Camden Town as it stands is completely unequipped to handle the amount of passengers that would have to change there if they split the Northern line in two. What residents are opposed to is the massive amount of redevelopment that would be required on the surface to accomodate the necessary changes.

Loads of info at http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/we-need-to-talk-about-camden/

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

nozz posted:

Camden Town as it stands is completely unequipped to handle the amount of passengers that would have to change there if they split the Northern line in two. What residents are opposed to is the massive amount of redevelopment that would be required on the surface to accomodate the necessary changes.

Loads of info at http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/we-need-to-talk-about-camden/

He's talking about loop trains terminating at Blackfriars making people on it very upset, despite the obvious advantages it presents :)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

TinTower posted:

It's the southern London counterpart to Camden Town. It'd be much less of an operational headache the Wimbledon loop to be cut off and the Northern Line split into two (especially given the extension to Battersea), but it'll never happen because the residents are too lazy to walk between platforms.

Suits me fine because at the moment I have to walk between platforms and if Wimbledon shut up and dealt with it like it was supposed to when they rebuilt the entire track alignment and station that way then it'd be grand.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This reminds me of the old favourite, "[normal route] is down, tickets will be accepted on [convoluted other route]". Yes, my oyster card will be accepted. It'll just be charged a lot more. :doh:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

tentish klown posted:

I was on the train home from work last night, fairly late (I believe it was the 9:10 from Farringdon to Kentish Town), and got on the front carriage. Sat down, then looked around. There were two other people in the carriage with me, one guy with his face covered - hood, bandana across his face - who looked a bit like a protestor and was acting kinda shifty, and another normal looking guy. The face-covered guy then spent the next two stops scratching his signs into the windows, and graffing all the bits of the train that weren't window. The normal guy got off at St Pancras. Train terminated at Kentish Town, where I got off and told the lady at the station exactly what had happened, who walked off to 'let the boys know'.
I felt guilty for not saying anything on the train, but I was honestly pretty scared as well as tired, and didn't like the idea of aggravating someone with no one else to witness it.

Is there any way I can find out what happened as a result? I continued going home after alerting the Customer Service lady, so didn't see any fallout.

tl;dr: I felt loving awkward for 10 mins while a guy scratched and graffed up the inside of a train in front of me. Told the authorities, then left.

In future you can text 61016 which is the British Transport Police. You can also email 61016@btp.pnn.police.uk. They're usually pretty snappy in their response, if you let them know quick enough they quite often meet trains in and apprehend the person

They might benefit from a statement from you seeing as you've seen the guy doing it, if you're willing call 0800 40 50 40 which is the non-emergency number for their control room.

http://www.btp.police.uk/we_get_the_message/how_to_use_the_text_number.aspx

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/help-us-catch-train-pervert-1-6300100

quote:

Police hunting a man who exposed himself to two women on a train in Chorley have released a CCTV image.

British Transport Police have now called on the public to help trace the pervert.

The incident happened on board the train – travelling between 
Manchester Airport and Barrow in Furness – as it approached Chorley station.

PC Adam Heslop explained: “As the train travelled towards Chorley, a man began talking to two women passengers and made sexual comments towards the two.

“During the conversation the man pulled down his trousers and exposed himself – motioning towards the women.”

PC Heslop added: “The behaviour of the man was completely unacceptable and it is vital we trace him as soon as possible.

“Our enquiries to date have enabled us to isolate the image of the man seen in the CCTV image.

“I believe he has key information about the incident and I call on anyone who recognises him – or who has information about the incident – to come forward.”

The incident happened at about 8.40pm on Thursday, October 17. If you can help the investigation in any way, call BTP on 0800 40 50 40 or ring Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

In all calls quote log NWA/B9 of 3/12/13.

Why do trains attract these kinds of people

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 18, 2014

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Hezzy posted:

In future you can text 61016 which is the British Transport Police. You can also email 61016@btp.pnn.police.uk. They're usually pretty snappy in their response, if you let them know quick enough they quite often meet trains in and apprehend the person

They might benefit from a statement from you seeing as you've seen the guy doing it, if you're willing call 0800 40 50 40 which is the non-emergency number for their control room.

http://www.btp.police.uk/we_get_the_message/how_to_use_the_text_number.aspx

That's awesome to know. Unfortunately I've lost my phone so wouldn't have been able to do that, on the other hand if it happens again I'll be straight on it.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

TinTower posted:

As a Herne Hill resident, I understand the operational reasons for severing the loop, but the benefits weren't explained at all (yesterday is a great example of the type of thing that wouldn't happen) and NR should have predicted that locals would react badly in the information vacuum. Four years of weekend closures and loop users would have nothing but a curtailed service to show for it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So is this a good place to talk about the proposals to remove ticket offices from all the London tube stations while cutting about 1,000 staff and the impending strikes in opposition?

The dates I've seen for the strikes are:

About 21:30 on Tuesday 4 February until the morning of Friday 7 February
About 21:30 on Tuesday 11 February until the morning of Friday 14 February

That's pretty serious -- I don't think I've ever heard of a tube strike lasting longer than a day. Then again, the idea of basically unstaffed tube stations in a city like London seems pretty dumb.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Unstaffed stations will never happen for safety reasons. And that isn't the proposal.

The major part of the proposal is closing ticket offices and instead providing better portable equipment so that staff out in the main areas of a station can do everything they currently do in the ticket office. As only three percent of journeys involve buying a ticket from a ticket office, the theory is that the same person can be more useful out in the station ticket hall rather than locked away behind a window.

It does involve a staff reduction, and a very widespared re-grading of existing staff as I understand it. Some stations will actually gain staff, though, and the theory is that it'll make better use of staff rather than purely cutting them. We'll see how well that works.

London Reconnections did an article going into a bit of detail, see here: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/big-changes-gonna-come-part-2-new-approach-ticket-sales/

Note that nothing I said above should be taken to be against the strikers.

Brovine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 31, 2014

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!
It's going to be a while before they're running services through Dawlish again...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

severed delays.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
So CERN is planning on building a 100km collider in the (far) future as an upgrade to the LHC. What does this have to do with trainchat? Well, it means they need a tunnel under Geneva of this circumference, and their kick-off meeting is this week. They called in the engineers working on the Gotthard base tunnel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel which is the world's longest railway tunnel at 57km. The following slides were presented, which may be of interest:

http://indico.cern.ch/event/282344/session/6/contribution/23/material/slides/1.pdf

The logistics of this thing are pretty incredible.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It was at a CERN planning meeting that I learned that 1000 petabytes is a yottabyte. The scales they work at are pretty amazing.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Check out page 48. I love the idea of just lowering a lorry into a shaft and unloading it there instead of faffing about with several loadings/unloadings to get poo poo where it needs to be.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

So CERN is planning on building a 100km collider in the (far) future as an upgrade to the LHC. What does this have to do with trainchat? Well, it means they need a tunnel under Geneva of this circumference, and their kick-off meeting is this week. They called in the engineers working on the Gotthard base tunnel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel which is the world's longest railway tunnel at 57km. The following slides were presented, which may be of interest:

http://indico.cern.ch/event/282344/session/6/contribution/23/material/slides/1.pdf

What I love about that entire scheme is that it was also an example of direct democracy at work with three votes for investing now to head off a looming crisis.

I would be more happy about the general concept if Switzerland didn't just vote 50.03% to 49.97% for xenophobia driven immigration curbs. At least my bit voted the right way...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Munin posted:

What I love about that entire scheme is that it was also an example of direct democracy at work with three votes for investing now to head off a looming crisis.

I would be more happy about the general concept if Switzerland didn't just vote 50.03% to 49.97% for xenophobia driven immigration curbs. At least my bit voted the right way...

Yeah. Switzerland is a great example of why truly direct democracy can be aweseome at many things, but still has its pitfalls.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah. Switzerland is a great example of why truly direct democracy can be aweseome at many things, but still has its pitfalls.

It's also an illustration of the principle that otherwise thoroughly lovely and well-principled folk can reveal themselves as massive loving racists when you least expect it :(

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 15, 2014

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jonnty posted:

It's also an illustration of the principle that otherwise thoroughly lovely and well-principled can reveal themselves as massive loving racists when you least expect it :(

Oh, I dunno- i expect them to be racist in the more isolated parts of switzerland. Sadly they lived up to that expectation.

Still, awesome trains. Got tickets to go from Geneva -> Milan for 28 swiss, on a not poo poo train with decent enough coffee. Beat that, east coast mainline!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

StarkingBarfish posted:

So CERN is planning on building a 100km collider in the (far) future as an upgrade to the LHC.

Thanks for this! My favourite graph is the one on page 20, which shows that although construction costs have been going up, the risk of a higher total cost has been decreasing.
I don't know why they don't point this out with the HS2 cost estimates: everyone shits the bed when the cost rises from a projected £40Bn to £45Bn, but actually the numbers are probably going from £40Bn +/- 40% to £45Bn +/- 20%

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

Thanks for this! My favourite graph is the one on page 20, which shows that although construction costs have been going up, the risk of a higher total cost has been decreasing.
I don't know why they don't point this out with the HS2 cost estimates: everyone shits the bed when the cost rises from a projected £40Bn to £45Bn, but actually the numbers are probably going from £40Bn +/- 40% to £45Bn +/- 20%

Isn't a good deal of the £45bn contingency anyway?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

http://campaign.actionforrail.org/page/speakout/stop-the-fourth-railway-package

Is anyone able to confirm whether compulsory vertical separation is happening or not? I've read in many places that it was killed after some of European states protested very strongly against it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
So, HS2 is going to be poo poo-canned "temporarily" so we can buy more dredgers for Somerset.
http://www.nce.co.uk/opinion/the-choice-between-resilient-infrastructure-and-hs2/8659100.article?blocktitle=Comment&contentID=647

NCE posted:

The choice between resilient infrastructure and HS2
20 February, 2014 | By Mark Hansford

Tuesday 29 July 2014. I’ve just been told that tomorrow I’m to be unveiled as the new infrastructure secretary; a bold statement of intent from prime minister David Cameron that infrastructure is vital to the UK’s prosperity and therefore at the heart of government thinking.

But strangely I’m troubled. Because the prime minister has told me we’ll be making a major funding announcement at my unveiling tomorrow.

We are going to announce that, following a thorough, targeted review of the resilience of our infrastructure to extreme weather, it is clear that we need to act. Tough choices have to be made.

The effect of postponing HS2 on our future prosperity would be crippling

And so, we will say, High Speed 2 (HS2) is being postponed. Work will stop with immediate effect, and the funds allocated to it for the remainder of this Parliament and the first two years of the next will be put to work rapidly reviving and then building vital flood defence and infrastructure improvement schemes.

Regrettably it will mean that construction of HS2 will now not begin until 2020 at the earliest.

But the £170M-plus that would have been spent each year developing it will now be put to much better use.

First, £300M will be spent reviving and building the Lower Thames flood defence scheme, unveiled in October 2009 but quietly forgotten since. It is vital, we will say.

And then £150M will be spent diverting the Great Western Main Line away from the coast at Dawlish, ensuring that Devon and Cornwall are never again severed from London.

And then we’ll do something - frankly still not sure what - about the Somerset Levels. Do we announce that?

Or will we announce that following a thorough, targeted review of the resilience of our infrastructure to extreme weather, improvements are needed, but that these improvements must be carefully planned before work can proceed?

And that, while careful consideration was given to reallocating funds from other projects, we have to hold firm.

Yes, we will say, there have been calls to postpone or even axe HS2. But the effect of that on our future prosperity would be crippling. Business needs it. The UK needs it.

And yes, it means the people of Staines, Datchet, Wraysbury and Walton-on-Thames will remain at severe risk of flooding for the foreseeable future. But help, advice, and grant funding will be available to make their homes more flood-resilient.

And yes, it means no diversion of the Great Western Main Line. But contingency measures will be put in place, including the formalising of an agreement with airlines to run extra flights in times of rail disruption.

And yes, it means no solution for the people on the flood-prone Somerset Levels, but we don’t know what that is anyway. So do we announce that instead?

Dear diary, what do you think? Help!

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/21/how-much-cost-scare-british-taxpayers-pay-hs2

Another day, and another terrible, terrible anti-HS2 article from Simon Jenkins in the Guardian.

We had a good laugh about it this morning at work.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Isn't this a 'what if' kind of thing? That's the way it reads anyway.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Bozza posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/21/how-much-cost-scare-british-taxpayers-pay-hs2

Another day, and another terrible, terrible anti-HS2 article from Simon Jenkins in the Guardian.

Haha, he's basically complaining about Camden while trying to say he's not a NIMBY.

Incidentally:

quote:

(In fact Euston does not even get into the top 10 of most crowded services: Paddington and Waterloo are far worse.)

Paddington has Crossrail and Waterloo has the old International platforms. Euston has neither.

And to be honest, the South can gently caress off about overcrowding when the 1713 Leeds to Harrogate is a 2-car Pacer.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bozza posted:

that was painful to read

anyway, this is pretty interesting about the cancellation of HS2-HS1 link up. but remember the paper is *very* anti HS2
http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/feb/exclusive-hs2-bosses-set-abandon-camden-town-link-stage-high-speed-rail-project

gently caress the northeners. their ability to visit europe is less important than nimbys in camden

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Cerv posted:

that was painful to read

anyway, this is pretty interesting about the cancellation of HS2-HS1 link up. but remember the paper is *very* anti HS2
http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/feb/exclusive-hs2-bosses-set-abandon-camden-town-link-stage-high-speed-rail-project

gently caress the northeners. their ability to visit europe is less important than nimbys in camden

I'm not hugely against HS2 - it's important to build infrastructure and we can't predict how behavioural patterns will change in the future, so it's best to keep ahead of the game. However, the first stage of this massive project will... reduce travel time to/from Birmingham from 1h 20m to what, 40 mins? Granted, it's the first step in a much bigger project (and the main benefits will be felt by those travelling from Scotland by train) but it still seems like a huge todo about very little.

Also, the northeners can fly to Europe. God knows, at the rate that train fares are going up, by the time HS2 is complete it'll be both faster AND cheaper to fly from Newcastle/Manchester/Leeds than it will be to get the train.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

TinTower posted:

Paddington has Crossrail and Waterloo has the old International platforms. Euston has neither.

This is the paragraph that caused the most chuckles - massively disingenuous conflating passenger overcrowding on certain services on GWML with the total lack of SERVICE capacity on the WCML. It totally ignores freight capacity which is the biggest issue with the WCML.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

tentish klown posted:

Also, the northeners can fly to Europe. God knows, at the rate that train fares are going up, by the time HS2 is complete it'll be both faster AND cheaper to fly from Newcastle/Manchester/Leeds than it will be to get the train.

I'm fairly sure door to door from York to a central Paris hotel is already faster.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

I'm not hugely against HS2 - it's important to build infrastructure and we can't predict how behavioural patterns will change in the future, so it's best to keep ahead of the game. However, the first stage of this massive project will... reduce travel time to/from Birmingham from 1h 20m to what, 40 mins? Granted, it's the first step in a much bigger project (and the main benefits will be felt by those travelling from Scotland by train) but it still seems like a huge todo about very little.

you admit yourself that the birmingham is only the first stage, and immediately use that as a critiscm.
you know it's a specious argument but still use it.

northeners getting the train rather than flying to europe will be far better envitonmentally. so with any luck it'll not be cheaper.
and you shouldn't underestimate just how convenient it is to travel city to city instead of having to go out of town to the airport at both ends. personally don't think i'd ever take a plane over eurostar. just wish you didn't have to make a connection for amsterdam.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

^^^^ edit - also see Cervs last bit about city to city travel, one of rails biggest selling points ^^^^

tentish klown posted:

I'm not hugely against HS2 - it's important to build infrastructure and we can't predict how behavioural patterns will change in the future, so it's best to keep ahead of the game. However, the first stage of this massive project will... reduce travel time to/from Birmingham from 1h 20m to what, 40 mins? Granted, it's the first step in a much bigger project (and the main benefits will be felt by those travelling from Scotland by train) but it still seems like a huge todo about very little. massively enhance capacity for local and semi-fast services on the WCML, allowing for more services to call at intermediate stations without huge timetable gaps to allow through services, allow further capacity for rail freight as part of the North-South electric spine from Southampton to the WCML, increase performance on the WCML for all services as Class 1 services will now be mostly moved to HS2 allowing for better timetable resilience for local services...

I swear they should have called this thing the "West Coast Main Line By-Pass" rather than HS2, as that basically sums up how it works for a 'non-railway' person to understand.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

it is weird to emphasise the least important feature in the name. there's a reason most people refer to the 'channel tunnel rail link' and not HS1.

although your suggestion is a bit of a mouthfull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Bozza posted:

^^^^ edit - also see Cervs last bit about city to city travel, one of rails biggest selling points ^^^^

I swear they should have called this thing the "West Coast Main Line By-Pass" rather than HS2, as that basically sums up how it works for a 'non-railway' person to understand.

Well poo poo, if anyone had actually publicised that then I wouldn't have had these misconceptions for so long.

• Locked thread