Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Laura loving Bailey

To be fair Laura Bailey's performance ties with Troy Baker's for the title of best and most charismatic Boss voice in Saint's Row 4. But yeah most anime and anime games don't really let 'er rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

muike posted:

Not really no.

Figures. I don't hate any of the big names like Freeman or Bosch but sometimes it is nice to have a bit of variety and put lesser known talent in major roles.

This is one thing I'm enjoying about all the Gundam series dubs is that they are voiced by Ocean and Canadian talent that I don't hear much. Most anime I see is done by FUNI and I think all their VAs are from L.A.. Most of them are very good but it's nice to have something different.

If any future Gundam TV series is dubbed, I hope Ocean gets the job again and Janyse Jaud gets a prominent role.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 21, 2014

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

NikkolasKing posted:

All I know about CG is:
1. The same UC fans who swore to me SEED and Kira were the Worst Things Ever also seemed to hold it in contempt

I wouldn't put too much stock into this point meaning much: I went from being bored with SEED and Kira to actively, strongly disliking it (even before Destiny entered the picture) and I really love Code Geass (*and* its dub). It's a different kind of show and I had different expectations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

NikkolasKing posted:

Moving on though...Kari Wahlgren! You might know her as the Lady Ashe in the loving amazing Final Fantay XII dub. Is this Marianne vi Britannia character actually important? I kinda get the feeling she isn't from how small her blurb is on wiki... What a waste of talent.

She is both incredibly important and not present at all. She is Lulu's mother, and she was killed in the backstory and her death is motivation for no less than six different characters off the top of my head.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Actually, JYB is the main character, Lelouch/Zero. I couldn't tell you how good or bad the dub is, though, since I watched it subbed. Most I can tell you is that the first season is actually pretty dang good and the second...isn't. It's still watchable, but much like Gundam 00, it seriously lost quality when the season changed (though I'm guessing the reasons were not the same, I know Code Geass' but I have no idea about why 00 suddenly changed).

Geass got it's second season screwed over by the execs because they wanted it rewritten so new viewers would be able to get into the show after it's hiatus. Gundam 00 got hosed by their execs because they had a collective shitfit over how "Un-Gundam" it was. I think it had lower ratings than usual as well?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

This is one thing I'm enjoying about all the Gundam series dubs is that they are voiced by Ocean and Canadian talent that I don't hear much. Most anime I see is done by FUNI and I think all their VAs are from L.A..

Dallas mainly. I've run into a few of them around the area. I think they might farm out the shounen to a company in LA though because there do seem to be two distinct groups of VAs at Funimation who don't seem to interact with each other's shows much.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All I know about the dub is that Kate Higgins cannot hold a candle to Yukana and her C.C. sounds awful. Anyway, it's even more popular on the Internet to hate on Geass than it is to hate on SEED, especially because it aired at the peak of 4chan's relevance. Destiny was in fact bad but I'm just happy it gave us material for Gun X Sword.

Also not to rain on your parade but Appleseed in all its forms is... okay, at best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eej posted:

Also not to rain on your parade but Appleseed in all its forms is... okay, at best.

Anime-wise, the original OVA's... not great. The two CGI movies are pretty fun though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Geass got it's second season screwed over by the execs because they wanted it rewritten so new viewers would be able to get into the show after it's hiatus. Gundam 00 got hosed by their execs because they had a collective shitfit over how "Un-Gundam" it was. I think it had lower ratings than usual as well?

Yeah, I knew Code Geass' reason. It's pretty sad though, I would've loved to see what R2 was really meant to be.

It saddens me to hear that about 00 though, since the first season was, in my opinion, one of the greatest Gundam things I've watched. It actually managed to nail the whole "no right side" perfectly, something Gundam routinely fails at, while having pretty good characters in all sides that you could equally root for, and some pretty awesome designs. But nope, I guess it was too Un-Gundam...sigh. Executive meddling is the worst thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TTBF posted:

Dallas mainly. I've run into a few of them around the area. I think they might farm out the shounen to a company in LA though because there do seem to be two distinct groups of VAs at Funimation who don't seem to interact with each other's shows much.

I just moved to Lewisville. I wonder if I'll run into any of them sometime while with my friends in Dallas. Be pretty neat since I don't do well with cons and stuff and thus never meet any of them.

Eej posted:

Well I was gonna go with Ghost in the Shell but then a guy elswhere wrote a long, long post detailing the differences between each incarnation and then for bonuses he threw in Appleseed and the differences between its incarnations. I liked the premise he outlined there more than GITS.

I've been hearing GITS' praises for years anyway so it won't hurt if I put off watching it a bit longer.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Yes it will, SAC and the movie are absolute top tier. Much pro-er watches than working through the dregs of gundam

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yes it will, SAC and the movie are absolute top tier. Much pro-er watches than working through the dregs of gundam

I'm not a big fan of the movie's relative ponderousness (it's not my cup of tea, despite tackling interesting ideas re: transhumanism and technology), but both seasons of SAC are smart and engaging top-notch post-cyberpunk political conspiracy thrillers that, incidentally, just so happen to be anime.

Are SEED, Destiny, Wing, X, and 00 all that's left on the Dubathon itinerary?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I also dislike that about the movie, but culturally its on the same level as akira, so you should still really watch it. You've seen the matrix right? There, thats reason enough to watch the movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X wasn't dubbed as far as I know. There's also F91 which I put off until later when I might also read the Crossbone manga.

But yeah, that's all that's left, not including my G Gundam re-watch which i may or may not do depending on how I feel after finishing 3 more Gundam shows. Guess it depends what kind of taste is left in my mouth after Wing or 00, whichever I do last.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

X wasn't dubbed as far as I know. There's also F91 which I put off until later when I might also read the Crossbone manga.

But yeah, that's all that's left, not including my G Gundam re-watch which i may or may not do depending on how I feel after finishing 3 more Gundam shows. Guess it depends what kind of taste is left in my mouth after Wing or 00, whichever I do last.

Oops, my mistake. Shame about X then.

If it helps, you could turn Wing into a drinking game. And the thread could add suggestions! It'll be magical.

do it on a weekend

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man I wish X was dubbed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm pretty impressed you managed to burn through all of these gundam shows in like 2 weeks. That's a hell of viewing marathon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If it helps, you could turn Wing into a drinking game. And the thread could add suggestions! It'll be magical.

do it on a weekend

No drinking game ruleset exists that doesn't end in a stomach pumping when Wing is involved.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Man I wish X was dubbed.

So do I. I loved the premise I read on another site. I'm almost tempted to watch it subbed some time, even though it would really be a pain.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

do it on a weekend

Sadly I don't drink. Never had an alcoholic beverage that tasted good to me on account of having alcohol in it I guess. (and yes, I've tried more than just American beer. American beer is so gross I wanna throw up from just the smell but even other things I've tried I've never really liked)

Monaghan posted:

I'm pretty impressed you managed to burn through all of these gundam shows in like 2 weeks. That's a hell of viewing marathon.

Thanks, it is one of the upsides to having no social life at the moment since everyone is busy with work and school and other so-called "important" things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

I just moved to Lewisville. I wonder if I'll run into any of them sometime while with my friends in Dallas. Be pretty neat since I don't do well with cons and stuff and thus never meet any of them.

Welcome to the DFW area, buddy! Denton-ite over here, let's be Gundam budz 4 lyfe!:tipshat:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Quick question, how bad is your vision that it messes with viewing subs? Is it just hard to read the subs themselves or are mobile suit fights just psychedelic blobs? If it's a matter of changing font type and size I can run you through editing soft subs. Of course this only works for anime fansubbed in the last like 7 or so years.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's really about trying to follow action and read subtitles at the same time. I can only see out of one eye and even then not very well. To give an idea, I have to have my face a few inches from my 30-inch monitor to read all this while also increasing the font size on Firefox. So basically to try and read subs, I either have to pause the screen constantly or keep my whole attention on the bottom part with the words and miss out on whatever else is going on.

I can follow fights just fine but I'll admit I'm not very good at telling the finer details, like how good/bad the mecha designs are, hence that probably rather conspicuous absence in my reviews so far.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Man I wish X was dubbed.

If they for some godawful reason kept the DWG 3 cast, then that nullifies my agreement with that statement.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

If they for some godawful reason kept the DWG 3 cast, then that nullifies my agreement with that statement.

Dub Garrod in DWG3 perfectly encapsulated the character that way :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

I can follow fights just fine but I'll admit I'm not very good at telling the finer details, like how good/bad the mecha designs are, hence that probably rather conspicuous absence in my reviews so far.

Most of the SEED designs are pretty decent. The only ones that can get hard to work out what's going on with are the Aegis and Duel Gundams (especially once it gets the Assault Shroud) because of their uniform colour schemes and busy designs.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So NikkolasKing's venture into SEED got me wanting to jump back into the good bits of the CE timeline, so I did a rewatch of Stargazer, not having seen it in a few years. I honestly forgot how much I enjoyed that OVA, and was pleasantly surprised at how well it held up. I really wish the series it is associated with had held that level of quality.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
SEED's early suit designs were fine, if bland, but everything past that started getting ridiculous because it was pretty much the exact same design with more poo poo getting crammed onto it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, SEED's stuff really need a redesign to look good.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Let's be honest, Garrod's dub VA was about equal in quality to his original voice. :v:

I still have no idea who looks at Teryaaaaaaah, possibly one of the most generic yells ever, and thinks you should say this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The SEED designs aren't my favorite but I don't think they're that bad. Admittedly my least-favorite Gundam protagonist design is probably the 00. I hated that god damned machine from the moment I saw it, if just for the shoulders.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The freedom gundam is a great design and It's by far the best of the suits that show up in the second half.

The druggies suits though.... Christ I hate those designs so much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

The freedom gundam is a great design and It's by far the best of the suits that show up in the second half.

The druggies suits though.... Christ I hate those designs so much.

I like the Raider and the Calamity. The Forbidden is an ugly piece of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't like the Calamity much but oddly I do like the Sword Calamity. The color scheme change helps it, I think.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

The SEED designs aren't my favorite but I don't think they're that bad. Admittedly my least-favorite Gundam protagonist design is probably the 00. I hated that god damned machine from the moment I saw it, if just for the shoulders.

SEED's stuff is just bland, with some almost bad but not really stuff. It's Destiny that goes off the deep end. Just look at this poo poo. Did you like the Hambrabi? Well, we got just the thing for you.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
On the other hand, I thought the Zeon suit rehashes ripoffs obvious cash-in attempts reimaginings were pretty nice to look at.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

On the other hand, I thought the Zeon suit rehashes ripoffs obvious cash-in attempts reimaginings were pretty nice to look at.

Yeah I thought the Zaku redesign was pretty good. Also the Destiny itself is pretty great because it's pretty much "gently caress it, just throw in every weapon including BEAM HAND": The Gundam. I think the only thing it was missing was dragoons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BlitzBlast posted:

SEED's early suit designs were fine, if bland, but everything past that started getting ridiculous because it was pretty much the exact same design with more poo poo getting crammed onto it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, SEED's stuff really need a redesign to look good.

Let's be honest, Garrod's dub VA was about equal in quality to his original voice. :v:

I still have no idea who looks at Teryaaaaaaah, possibly one of the most generic yells ever, and thinks you should say this.

I don't understand how Kentaro from Love Hina is not the english VA for him, he's basically Garrod in perfect English.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

NikkolasKing posted:

it's nothing to the constant flashbacks of the same things over and over and over again. Maybe that's what people meant by reusing stock footage?
Just wait: ":byodood: He loved to play the piano" will become engraved into your mind soon enough.

Monaghan posted:

I think the Freedom, Sword Impulse, Infinite Justice (without backpack) and Destiny Zaku's are all really cool designs.
This is all in the Model kit versions though, the actual in-show ones look somewhat awkward.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Finished episode 21.

1. So the Earth Alliance has multiple groups as the name suggests and as we talked about earlier but the rest of them just packed up and left their "ally" in Africa?

2. I'm really liking the guerrilla stuff. This sort of "on the ground" feel was a big part of 08th MS Team's appeal for me. The episode where their town was burned down and they all go charging after the ZAFT forces was actually believable. Sure, their families were spared but they're now homeless and without food so it's not like they're gonna just say "thank you for only destroying our homes and not killing us too!" (There's probably alsoa degree of emasculation involved) And funnily enough, that sarcastic quote of mine is more or less what La Flaga was getting at. I enjoyed how benevolently insensitive La Flaga was being. He's not a bad guy but it shows what different worlds normal people and those in the military live in. Or maybe it's the difference of someone from space and someone on Earth.

3. So I've met Cagalli, the lady who was voted the #1 female character of the 2000s by Newtype magazine. I gotta admit, compared to her competition, she is kinda likable. It's a choice between her, psycho bitch, magical dream girl, and Kira's friend who so far is somehow blander than Fa or Fraw. Plus she has mystery and intrigue about who the hell she actually is going for her. (although her grand debut as a pilot lasting five seconds before she was shot down was lame)

4. I guess it's nice Kira's friends aren't being totally forgotten or anything but I can't see this love triangle thing turning out well, in terms of writing or for the characters. A guy elsewhere said SEED's popularity was due to its "soap opera nature." I kinda doubt that but it could be a factor. There's always been the stereotypical "why are you looking at HER?" crap from the main dude's female friend but this is on a whole new level and I just don't know how well it's gonna be incorporated into the storyline. Sai dies needlessly trying to prove himself, Fllay is brought back to the light side because she realizes how awful she is and how much she's hurting the guy who actually cares about her as opposed to the guy who cares about getting in her pants/leaning on her for emotional stability. I'm guessing the writer is also going for a purposeful contrast kinda thing with the manipulative, conniving girlfriend for Kira and the so-pure-birds-land-on-her girlfriend for Athrun. Fine whatever.

5. So the Coordinators are falling apart on the genetic level or something? That's an interesting thing. Gihren/Athrun's pops is obviously deluded as pointed out by Lacus' dad. They didn't evolve and they aren't some separate, superior breed of humans. They are not Homo Superiors and Magneto would slap Zala for acting like it. They're just a bunch of freaks and apparently they are so not superior that they can't breed passed a few generations. In the same episode Rau is apparently dependent on some sort of medicine to function so maybe that's related too.

6. Operation Spitbreak is a stupid name.

7. I hope we see more of Earth. Right now, despite the lack of water for the resistance fighters, I'm not seeing the nightmarish horror that is suposed to be gripping the planet. The ZAFT desert commander guy has a nice happy town that seems perfectly in order. Maybe when we get to Federation territory.

8. Speaking of which, the fight with those BuCUES in the desert made me think of Zoids, not least of all because the sound effects for things being hit are identical.

9. So was Waltfeld the Ramba Ral of SEED? Was nice, reasonable, had a girlfriend, happened upon our hero before the final battle... I thought someone said he lived... Be kinda lame if he somehow survived his robot going boom.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 21, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

NikkolasKing posted:

3. So I've met Cagalli, the lady who was voted the #1 female character of the 2000s by Newtype magazine. I gotta admit, compared to her competition, she is kinda likable.

Don't watch destiny.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 21, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I like to think of SEED and Destiny being propaganda pieces to propagate the cult of personality around Kira and Friends to ensure their continuing iron fisted rule of both space and Earth.

No, they don't really get into the whole "Earth is starving to death" thing aside from that tiny little bit early on. It gets in the way of the peace through lasers you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well, why is it even mentioned if it's not going to be addressed at all? It's like Zeon gassing that colony, it adds nothing to the story.

EDIT:
Man, thinking about how much I enjoyed the resistance stuff in MS Team and this, they need a whole Gundam series about that. Be nice to have our Gundam pilots be more than just pawns in a battle between nations.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 21, 2014

• Locked thread