Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So this is a long shot but does anyone know where I can get Styrofoam boxes for packing goods in non-standard sizes? Thnk more like flute carrying case sized than a standard box. I'm shipping probably legal rare aquarium plants something that's perfectly legal I totally looked it up guys. They're temp sensitive and fragile so I need styrofoam or something similar. Either way I'm doing next day shipping, so getting something much larger than I need probably is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Magna Kaser posted:

Who the hell says 钟头 anywhere. I've never heard it outside of my Chinese 101 class and I'm at year 4 over here. It's just like 您贵姓 which I only use as a comedy greeting.

Look out, everyone. This person is in year 4 of Chinese classes! They must know a lot!

Have you seriously never been in a situation that required more-than-normal politeness? Like a gd hotel or fancy restaurant?! They all use 您貴姓 when checking your reservation.

Also, you mean to tell me I was having an internet argument with some Chinese student? :bang: You are capable of writing an impassioned post about the relevancy of 囯 and other stupid 簡體字 like 云 (history history :fap: history) and how the stenographization of Chinese was a good thing, but you fail to recognize that there are a number of situations where 您貴姓 is appropriate?

I think the comical phrase you are looking for is the 幸會-variant of "nice to meet you". Even 阿媽 and 阿公s laugh at me when I use it.

Edit: 門 and 見 and 寶貝 and 懂 4 lyfe...oh wait, 簡體字 simplified 門 and 見 but not 懂. That is a "simplification system" on the real.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 21, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Have you seriously never been in a situation that required more-than-normal politeness? Like a gd hotel or fancy restaurant?! They all use 您貴姓 when checking your reservation.

I think the comical phrase you are looking for is the 幸會-variant of "nice to meet you". Even 阿媽 and 阿公s laugh at me when I use it.
Why couldn't you have just stopped with this instead of going into to some magical tangent on poo poo that seems to be coming from nowhere?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Look out, everyone. This person is in year 4 of Chinese classes! They must know a lot!

Also, you mean to tell me I was having an internet argument with some Chinese student? :bang: You are capable of writing an impassioned post about the relevancy of 囯 and other stupid 簡體字 like 云 (history history :fap: history) and how the stenographization of Chinese was a good thing, but you fail to recognize that there are a number of situations where 您貴姓 is appropriate?

Edit: 門 and 見 and 寶貝 and 懂 4 lyfe...oh wait, 簡體字 simplified 門 and 見 but not 懂. That is a "simplification system" on the real.
Jokes. You're bad with them.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 21, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is Pandemonium the Pro-ROC Laowai?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Because people here circle-jerk about unimportant stuff. Everyone needs to get in on the the 繁體字 jerk. It is the Taiwan thread, after all! I thought I had found an internet home of like-minded big-noses who supported the correct, aesthetical characters and also flew into a rage when they had to be exposed to 簡體字 while watching pirated movies and tv shows. I guess since only a handful of you goons actually know Chinese to an appreciable level and those who do are armchair historians who seem to have no problem with this beautiful language with so history being denigrated from within by a group of academics / bureaucrats, it is a lost cause.

Anyway, I gave it up until MagnaKaser made a clear indication that his knowledge of Chinese is classroom-only. If you've never heard someone say 鐘頭 and think 您貴姓 is so cute, you are not using Chinese in your everyday life.

Edit:

Jeoh posted:

Is Pandemonium the Pro-ROC Laowai?

Politics are dumb in the best of circumstances. Taiwan is not even approaching "moderately acceptable" circumstances re: politics. Although, as people mentioned earlier, it is nice to see the parliament or house or whatever the legislative body is called in English here erupt into violence.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 21, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pandemonium is on the prowl and (s)he has something to prove! They're the best writer AND Chineser in Taiwan (maybe the world), guys!!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'd suggest using either some "he/she", "(s)he", "s/he", "ze", "zhe" variant or "they", not both. You have to be uniform in your PC-ness. That's a freebie.

Edit: I am also speaking from experience. I only know TetsuoTW is not a teacher. I am assuming the others here are teachers and I'm a) sorry you are are a teacher and b) sorry but teachers should not be commenting because they do not know the situation. I work in the writing industry here, and it is scarily close to the education industry in terms of what a big, stupid, terrible joke it is. I just finished writing 60 listening tests by myself because the company literally could not find a single person capable of doing a competent job. The two books I have had published had maybe six different foreigners contribute to them, and each foreigner basically copy-pasted chunks of the Wikipedia page of whatever topic that company farmed out to them.

Also, I am teaching some private students with the "All Magazine", the English magazine published by Live ABC (I think), and even that is rife with grammatical mistakes, awkward sentences, and just generally poo poo writing. Let me go home and I will copy-paste their Sochi article.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 21, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

I'd suggest using either some "he/she", "(s)he", "s/he", "ze", "zhe" variant or "they", not both. You have to be uniform in your PC-ness. That's a freebie.

TetsuoTW posted:

Jokes. You're bad with them.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
您貴姓 is fine when making KTV reservations and nowhere else, I really liked the Q: 您貴性 / A: 男性 dialogue over in the Chinese language thread though, especially since nobody involved realized what was going on :downs:

Pandemonium posted:

parliament or house or whatever the legislative body is called

Actually called Legislative Yuan which is a translation on par with 星巴克 in terms of half assedness

hitension fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 21, 2014

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

hitension posted:

Actually called Legislative Yuan which is a translation on par with 星巴克 in terms of half assedness

Speaking of pinyin, I loving love that most Taiwanese I ask think Taipei has two names, an English Taipei and a Chinese 台北. Whatever rear end in a top hat was responsible for pinyin-ing city names back in the day is a gd moron. Chinese definitely has distinct "bei" and "pei" sounds. That is probably my biggest gripe with the language here. They use gd Wade-Giles still for their names--and nothing else. Companies use whatever the gently caress they want when pinyin-ing themselves. I feel bad for the foreigners who didn't learn real pinyin and then came over here. Zhubei 竹北 is pinyin-ed as that, as Zubei, Jhubei, Jubei, Chubei, and Chupei.

Ninja Edit: Is Hsin for 新 Wade-Giles, too?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Pandemonium posted:

Have you seriously never been in a situation that required more-than-normal politeness?

Now there's a question you could stand to ask yourself.

Edit: to be fair he might not actually be an rear end in a top hat, but just cranky from being tired all the time. It's got to be exhausting being The Greatest Person In The World And The Ultimate Authority On Everything.

poetrywhore fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 21, 2014

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

You don't know how long I have been waiting to meet someone who does the Chinese better than me. All of the companies I have worked for, the business partners I have worked with, the neighbors I have neighbored by, the tea shop and food stall guys and gals I have chatted with, the friends I have made, they have all blown my Chinese ego up to massive proportions. Not once have I heard, "your Chinese is good. It reminds of x's..." or "Your Chinese is almost as good as x's..." or "pretty good Chinese". It's absolutely massive at this point. I need help.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

You don't know how long I have been waiting to meet someone who does the Chinese better than me. All of the companies I have worked for, the business partners I have worked with, the neighbors I have neighbored by, the tea shop and food stall guys and gals I have chatted with, the friends I have made, they have all blown my Chinese ego up to massive proportions. Not once have I heard, "your Chinese is good. It reminds of x's..." or "Your Chinese is almost as good as x's..." or "pretty good Chinese". It's absolutely massive at this point. I need help.

We know.

We all know. You've made it perfectly clear.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pandemonium, you have successfully convinced me to never learn any Chinese, ever. Also I've resolved to speak in English at the top of my voice in all stores and restaurants from now on and loudly complain when I'm not understood.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I thought you said you get laid.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Dude they butter everyone up. Don't let it go to your head.

Ninjaedit: n/m too late

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

半瓶水響叮噹

sub supau fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 21, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Goes off on someone for not having enough practical Chinese experience. Thinks random people are giving him a sincere appraisal of his Chinese. Is Pandemonium.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

(poo poo, I can't phone post Chinese for some reason.)

半瓶水響叮噹

i concur

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Goes off on someone for not having enough practical Chinese experience. Thinks random people are giving him a sincere appraisal of his Chinese. Is Pandemonium.

It's my fault for making facetious comments, everyone. Pandemonium still thinks my "oracle bones hurr better than traditional" is a real thing v:shobon:v

I'll head back to the mainland where we're 安逸 as hell about everything.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Random people? My coworkers, bosses, and neighbors are not random people. Nor are the girls I have dated. Can you not read? Or did you just feel like cherry-picking the tea and food stall people example I mentioned and ignoring the others who I interact with on a daily basis. Great work being a typical terrible internet poster! But anyway, I know where my Chinese ability stands. (Hint: better than you)

Also, I have been with my friends when they speak Chinese, and I'm not a moron. I know Taiwanese are easily impressed. I know how easy it is to get them to drop a 哇,你的中文很棒 or whatever. I've been here for five years. I am well past that stage. I'm onto the 超 stage, as well as the 最 stage.

Edit: Oh, and those TOCFL test certificates are sitting in my room somewhere. (Full disclosure: still haven't taken the final level)

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 21, 2014

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Pandemonium, you have successfully convinced me to never learn any Chinese, ever. Also I've resolved to speak in English at the top of my voice in all stores and restaurants from now on and loudly complain when I'm not understood.

How long have you been in this country that you are just now deciding not to learn Chinese because of what some random idiot on the internet posts? Please say something awesome like three years. Also, you seem to be suggesting that that is not how you act already...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pandemonium posted:

Speaking of pinyin, I loving love that most Taiwanese I ask think Taipei has two names, an English Taipei and a Chinese 台北. Whatever rear end in a top hat was responsible for pinyin-ing city names back in the day is a gd moron. Chinese definitely has distinct "bei" and "pei" sounds. That is probably my biggest gripe with the language here. They use gd Wade-Giles still for their names--and nothing else. Companies use whatever the gently caress they want when pinyin-ing themselves. I feel bad for the foreigners who didn't learn real pinyin and then came over here. Zhubei 竹北 is pinyin-ed as that, as Zubei, Jhubei, Jubei, Chubei, and Chupei.

Ninja Edit: Is Hsin for 新 Wade-Giles, too?

Yep, I've seen Sin too, which is I think is Tongyong Pinyin. Zhongli is pretty bad for it too, the name has like five variants but the street signs are worse where you can see all three major romanisation systems employed for the same street name in the space of about 100 metres.

It's all down to Taiwan refusing to use Hanyu because of its commie associations, and sticking with lovely Wade-Gilles before briefly toying with their own invented pinyin, Tongyong. In the end, Taipei stopped being babies and switched to Hanyu but the rest of the country still seems to be in a weird flux status. It reminds me of being back home with the UK's half-metric system where we'll use pints for milk and beer but litres for most anything else.

Basically what I'm saying is Taiwan should adopt simplified Chinese.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Basically what I'm saying is Taiwan should adopt simplified Chinese.

I was with up to here. You went a step too far. Pinyin =/= Chinese. Get on the Hanyu pinyin train, yes. It's the best thing available. But Taiwan already uses the best characters available. No need to change those.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

quote:

Also, I have been with my friends when they speak Chinese, and I'm not a moron. I know Taiwanese are easily impressed. I know how easy it is to get them to drop a 哇,你的中文很棒 or whatever. I've been here for five years. I am well past that stage. I'm onto the 超 stage, as well as the 最 stage.

This is a level beyond 棒 you can call it 標準.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Random people? My coworkers, bosses, and neighbors are not random people. Nor are the girls I have dated. Can you not read? Or did you just feel like cherry-picking the tea and food stall people example I mentioned and ignoring the others who I interact with on a daily basis. Great work being a typical terrible internet poster! But anyway, I know where my Chinese ability stands. (Hint: better than you)

Edit: Oh, and those TOCFL test certificates are sitting in my room somewhere. (Full disclosure: still haven't taken the final level)
You know what kind of person brags about their Chinese on the Internet? An rear end in a top hat.

e: Also

quote:

But anyway, I know where my Chinese ability stands. (Hint: better than you)
Nigga please. Like I said, 半瓶水響叮噹.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 21, 2014

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh my god, this must be what it's like for other people when my friends and I argue about Star Trek.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As someone who has a white-collar job that allows me to travel, save money and work reasonable hours I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me. The SA "Oh god teaching ESL is the worst thing ever" mentality is baffling to me. Yeah it's not a secure position and you can't do it the rest of your life but I've seen more disdain for this line of work than for almost anything else.

At the end of the day there are a whole lot of worse jobs and the fiscal position English teachers are in now is far better than a lot of other similarly educated people. My eyes are still rolling from that Pandemonium post. I didn't realize I was such a leper with my middle class salary and my six weeks vacation time. I should really feel more sorry for myself.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
But like, so what? If your Chinese is better than ours, so what? And if you hate us all, why stick around? You could just peace out and you'd be happier and so would we.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

半瓶水響叮噹 is a nice little phrase. Thanks! I don't like people 誤會ing all over the place and misconstruing what I say to try to win internet with cute turns of phrase or whatever Spanish Matlock was attempting by assuming I only speak Chinese to people I am not so 熟 with. Nor do I like having painfully obvious realities that anyone who has lived here for more than a few months knows thrown at me, as if I am somehow unaware of how sickeningly enthused and easily impressed Taiwanese people can be about foreigners speaking Chinese and have been living in this fantasy realm where I think being able to say 你好 and 我喜歡... constitute good Chinese. I am aware of these things and am not delusional.

But you're right, TestuoTW. No one likes 出風頭ing. So let's get back to something worth discussing. I got nothing to do tonight and a private student in the morning, so here is part of the Sochi article from the ALL+ Live ABC English magazine, which has an English chief editor, 4 run-of-the-mill English editors, and 5 freelancers, yet forgets the "r" in "American Studying Abroad Semina" and prints that on the ad directly opposite the title page (to be fair that is probably not the fault of the English staff because Taiwanese publishers love to sneak stuff past the English staff that they think is simple yet they still always manage to gently caress things up anyway). Mind you, this is the magazine that the top high school in Taichung uses in its English classes. Everyone here seems to be an English teacher yet get all up-in-arms when I poo poo on writers in Taiwan in some of my posts. Hopefully this will make my point a little clearer:

All+ posted:

Most of us had never heard of Sochi, Russia until 2007. That was when a decision was made that the city would host one of the world's major international sporting events--the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. From that moment on, the builders moved in, construction began, snow has been stored, and the city has undergone a radical transformation. When the Games begin on February 7, Sochi's spot on the map will be forever known....

With twelve new winter sports on show at these Games, spectators will have a lot more to marvel at in Sochi. Among those being featured for the first time are women's ski jumping, team figure skating, and other ski and snowboarding events. Another new addition is the men's and women's freestyle half pipe, which involves athletes performing death-defying stunts on a structure shaped like a pipe cut in half. In another new event, viewers will see the participants sliding feet-first on a sled while reaching speeds of up to 140 km/h. These Winter Olympics could prove to be some of the fastest on record!

Real quick: the first part I bolded is so loving retarded I don't even know what to say. The guy lists two of the twelve new events and then says "etc." in so many words. The next two sentences are then descriptions of two more new events. This was not only written down by that dude but it also made it past one or more of those editors. He might as well have written "new event A, B, etc., C, and D". Now the second part I bolded is that "D" event. D is the only name I can give it because the writer described the event without telling us its name. Is it the luge? Or what? This guy is just a bad writer. I should really do more, but I think those two make my point.

I'm in a constant state of disappointment when I see what passes for educational material here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

I was with up to here. You went a step too far. Pinyin =/= Chinese. Get on the Hanyu pinyin train, yes. It's the best thing available. But Taiwan already uses the best characters available. No need to change those.
:spergin:

This can be the only explanation for Pandemonium's posting.

Severe :spergin:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

As someone who has a white-collar job that allows me to travel, save money and work reasonable hours I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me. The SA "Oh god teaching ESL is the worst thing ever" mentality is baffling to me. Yeah it's not a secure position and you can't do it the rest of your life but I've seen more disdain for this line of work than for almost anything else.

At the end of the day there are a whole lot of worse jobs and the fiscal position English teachers are in now is far better than a lot of other similarly educated people. My eyes are still rolling from that Pandemonium post. I didn't realize I was such a leper with my middle class salary and my six weeks vacation time. I should really feel more sorry for myself.

It's not the SA mentality. It's the mentality of every ex-pat who is not an ESL teacher. We're all raging with jealousy because we (in some combination) work a shitton more than you, get paid less, have more stress, have more responsibility, have more ambition, have more pride, and/or recognize what a joke the ESL industry. If you are an ESL teacher in Taiwan, you get paid way too much for what you do. There's really no two ways around that. But please, explain to me why ESL teachers deserve to be paid the same as senior managers in Taiwanese companies who work 60 hour weeks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pandemonium posted:

It's not the SA mentality. It's the mentality of every ex-pat who is not an ESL teacher. We're all raging with jealousy because we (in some combination) work a shitton more than you, get paid less, have more stress, have more responsibility, have more ambition, have more pride, and/or recognize what a joke the ESL industry. If you are an ESL teacher in Taiwan, you get paid way too much for what you do. There's really no two ways around that. But please, explain to me why ESL teachers deserve to be paid the same as senior managers in Taiwanese companies who work 60 hour weeks.

poo poo, I left my tiny violin in Korea. Sorry man.

And at least I know, even if I teach literally nothing, I'll still be more useful and less of a drain on the world than middle management in any company.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 21, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

Oooo! Oooo! I fit within that blanket statement and I'm raging with jealous....um no, actually.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is a level beyond 棒 you can call it 標準.

Indeed.

I'd say we ought to raise a collective petition to make the fucker post in chinese only - or be banned.

My chinese is sooooooi good, i shitpost in english

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Pandemonium posted:

Real quick: the first part I bolded is so loving retarded I don't even know what to say.

You could start by saying something that isn't an ableist slur? Like, I know we're on SA, but this thread has impressed me by calling out racist and misogynistic poo poo in posts, so I don't think I'm wrong for expecting better in here.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, I actually think simplified doesn't really go far enough. If it was up to me, I'd just get rid of characters altogether.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pandemonium truly is the fishmech of this thread and we always bite hook, line, and sinker every goddamn (gd?) time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

Indeed.

I'd say we ought to raise a collective petition to make the fucker post in chinese only - or be banned.

My chinese is sooooooi good, i shitpost in english

好,我開始用中文 (Disclaimer: I write like I talk so I'm not "in" on how all the cool kids write in Chinese and what abbreviations/slang/縮寫 they use. Also, I seldom write Chinese these days (臺式英文 represent))

poetrywhore posted:

You could start by saying something that isn't an ableist slur? Like, I know we're on SA, but this thread has impressed me by calling out racist and misogynistic poo poo in posts, so I don't think I'm wrong for expecting better in here.

你迷路了嗎? 你自己說這裡是SA,那你幹嘛管我寫那個單字。我不是故意地用,而是隨便用。你要當PC警察的話,拜托你去別的網站管他們。事實上,你是寫這樣的東西真的好無聊,沒有什麽意思,而且我想說看我的内容,不要derail,好不好? 你有說你以前是辦寫作的那個events,對不對?那你應該很會寫英文的東西。你是喜歡寫什麽? 小説,詩,科幻,幻想,假歷史 (my attempt at historical fiction)?

我想聼你對那個ALL+的冬____奧林匹克文章有什麽意見。你認爲那個作者寫的怎麽樣?到底爛不爛!

你們看得懂嗎?希望有!也希望我的中文句子夠長,因我知他們愛用逗號.