Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Blackburrow + turning in gnoll fangs in SQeynos is by far the fastest but you've got at least as many people fighting over mobs in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Hahaha, well done :D

Regarding monk/shaman, you guys should both mess around with both classes. Monk definitely starts out easier as you really just need to autoattack and press one other button, but once you get mend, FD, disciplines, and need to worry about pulling and splitting mobs, there's a lot more obtuse game mechanics to master if you want to be getting the most out of the class. I mean, shaman has a lot of spells to worry about eventually, but they don't really start out with much. You have marginal stat buffs, bad heals, worse nukes, junk DOTs, and worthless slows for quite some time.

So yeah, good call on who plays what to get things going, but you might end up wanting to change it up.

Yeah, I realize pulling/tanking will become a challenge eventually - but honestly this character is more of a litmus test to see if she really feels like playing the game at all. So if things go well, we can revisit the character she ends up playing if need be.

@Prophecy - yeah, it sounds like the Shaman is an awesome class. I just want to have another character I play when we're not duoing. I'd like to keep our duo characters around the same xp level. I love that this game is still fun, and the population on p99 is impressive (in the popular zones anyway). I'd love to be able to see all the zones / dungeons I never did back on Live. I think I only got around level 20-30 when Kunark came out, then moved on to other games. So there's a lot for me to visit!

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
What are some 1HB primary weapons I should get a cleruc?

Can anyone explain to me how to MQ the cleric epic?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Jade Mace (<2k) is pretty much the best 1HB if you want to hit things. Runed Morning Star (5k+) has great stats and is still pretty good for hitting things.

How you MQ the cleric epic depends on which pieces you have on the MQ recipient vs. which pieces you have available to MQ on other characters. The best MQ spot is on the penultimate turnin where 3 orbs go into a mob who returns you the single final turnin item and spawns the final turnin mob.
The Orbs:
1. From the Plasmatic Priest robe turnin.
2. From the Ixi scepter/Overking scroll turnin.
3. From the Ragefire heart turnin.

The robe that you turn in for the first orb is droppable, so that's an easy way to get a piece on your MQ recipient. This is how people who sell cleric epics usually do it. They have the other orbs ready to go and give the MQer the robe so they can get the last needed orb (plus, they'll have another Gimblox ring handy to be set for another Ixi spawn). They hand in orbs 2&3, then the MQer hands in orb 1 and gets the final turnin piece.

You'll still need to do Ragefire but you can loot and do all the other turnins on Skullmonkey as long as you have a robe to hand to your cleric.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 11, 2014

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Played for about an hour and a half last night, and murdered FGs and bugs with Bugen. He must have been bored because it was a Psuedo PL.

Space Duck
Oct 15, 2003
After having spent a bunch of time in Burning Woods attempting to forage for mendglow clay with the skill perma-capped at 50, I've got only a second stack of vegetables, 3 fishing grubs, and maxed out divination.

If anyone forages one or two blocks of mendglow from BW, I'd appreciate letting me take them off your hands.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
The fact that VP is no longer a complete and utter poo poo show is still mind blowing to me. Those be some fun dragons to kill!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Got my bard up to 45 on Red, mostly AOE kiting, and im noticing that in the last week or so the server stability seems kinda borked, not in a major way but in that mobs are not always where they appear and dots are ticking super late compared to when I finish a song. It's making AOEing super dangerous and I died like 4 straight times before I figured out what was up. Talked to another person on the server and they seem to have noticed the same thing.

Is blue having this problem? Is anyone playing on Red and noticed this? Or am I crazy? I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours AOEing on bards on live/emu servers and this is annoying as hell. I'm having to pull 15 mobs instead of 60, and even then I sometimes get the tar kicked out of me.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's not just you, the servers are definitely chugging when the pop creeps up over 1k total. Pings are still in the 30-40s for me but the PL creeps up and it's hard to tell when ticks are happening, when you're getting hit with spells, and it's also playing hell with aggro mechanics. I've noticed I can just run past tons of KOS stuff with levitate+jboots on and get nothing, and I also noticed it when I was dicking around on my monk with Integ in SolB. I really wish I could have taken a video of the ridiculousness that ensued when trying to split just the front two fire giants, which usually takes me 20-30 seconds tops. It took me about 10 minutes to finally luck out and predict the ensuing lag spike to get one single.

That said, 90% of play is probably not affected by this, so I'm still counting the pop as a blessing rather than a curse.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Ghosting is also becoming a big issue. There's always been a corpse bug that for some reason they never bothered to fix that's semi-intermittent-but-more-common-now (if you don't "see" the person die, you can't see their corpse), and issues where if you don't see the mob spawn and someone pulls it (take Gore for example), you won't see it even though it's standing in front of you.

The rumor is that these bugs cropped up due to them trying to fix lag-then-dc in TT.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah I've seen those bugs pop up, thanks for the confirmation on the laggy issues. It's not like I can really complain all that much since I'm still going to hit 50 in the next fey days and 60 within a week or two from casual play (bards are stupid as hell) but I was starting to feel like I was just really bad at games

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I can't be bothered to read the official forums. What's the latest word on velious?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Me and a friend of mine decided to wallow in nostalgia and go for this; I made a barbarian shaman, he's probably going for either a barb warrior or a rogue. Problem is, we'd need to get from Everfrost Peaks (which we pretty much hate) to the Commonlands (which I'm at least a bit more familiar with), and it seems a nightmarish journey at these levels. What would be the best bet here; just grind enough to be able to pass Blackburrow and run for it, or keep begging for a port or something?

I'm not too familiar with EQ; never played it at it's prime, but I did play a rogue on P1999 some years ago. Still, no clue about how to go about most things here.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Dropbear posted:

Me and a friend of mine decided to wallow in nostalgia and go for this; I made a barbarian shaman, he's probably going for either a barb warrior or a rogue. Problem is, we'd need to get from Everfrost Peaks (which we pretty much hate) to the Commonlands (which I'm at least a bit more familiar with), and it seems a nightmarish journey at these levels. What would be the best bet here; just grind enough to be able to pass Blackburrow and run for it, or keep begging for a port or something?

I'm not too familiar with EQ; never played it at it's prime, but I did play a rogue on P1999 some years ago. Still, no clue about how to go about most things here.

Good news everfrost is one of the better starting areas. Bad news you will need to return to it regularly for spells and the closest port would be north karana only 5 zones away. If you must play a barb there are always druids killing mammoths in everfrost you can sweet talk for a port. reroll ogre

GIMpy12 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 16, 2014

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
EF is a bit rough for 1-4 due to all the level 5 poo poo wandering around but Blackburrow (gnoll fangs -> South Qeynos) is the fastest way to get to 15ish on the server at the moment. If you really want out I'm happy to run a porter over for you. You would definitely want to buy a few sets of spells to avoid going back frequently, or, since there's two of you, one of you can roll a newbie ogre/troll and the other can hand off cash to buy the spells in Oggok or Grobb.

If you do want the port, post when you'll be online and your character names and I should be able meet up with you. Alternately, look for me in game; I'll probably be on Bugen, Illtair, or Smrt.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Hey Illtair, you want to PL me a little bit on your monk tonight? :v:

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Finally got Mauzer, my Druid, to 50 last night. Only took me like 3 years.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
:siren: Holy poo poo :siren:

You gonna keep goin or go back to altsville? 51-55 isn't that bad quadding chickens/raptors in TD (assuming you aren't completely tired of quadding), and then you can go charm solo in Perma!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

You gonna keep goin or go back to altsville? 51-55 isn't that bad quadding chickens/raptors in TD (assuming you aren't completely tired of quadding), and then you can go charm solo in Perma!

Someone who's taken longer to level than me!

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Finally got Mauzer, my Druid, to 50 last night. Only took me like 3 years.

Grats! You playing tonight?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Also, did FE merge with TMO? lol wtf?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Also, did FE merge with TMO? lol wtf?

Yeah. The rumor mill is that FE and IB were going to formally merge, but IB was playing hardball - no FE leadership would retain leadership, lovely DKP conversion, etc. So FE went to TMO.

I expect many FE will actually app with IB anyways, but given how FE's whole mantra was "grrr fight TMO, fire with fire, TMO evil, etc", it's pretty drat funny.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
FE and TMO have not merged, no. FE is still very much our own guild at the moment.

We came close to merging with IB, but the terms were found to be unacceptable by our leadership and members, and the other side was absolutely unwilling to compromise. If you want to know more, send me a tell in game. Otherwise I don't wanna crap up this thread with some stupid drama.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I love that people are practicing M&A in this.

BeefyTofu
Jun 19, 2004

I have so many fond memories of classic EQ. My little ones were interested in playing along with me. Any suggestions on easy class/race combinations that don't have too steep of a learning curve? They are rather young 8 and 7 but are well acquainted with computer gaming.
If anyone happens to be in the Gfay area on the blue server and want to group up, send me a tell. Sayumi: High Elf priest

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Kids these days are so tech advanced, I would say any class as long as they are having fun.

If you will be doing 3 man groups, monk, cleric and shaman/chanter would be pretty solid.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Easy classes that actually have something going on: Ranger, Druid, Necro, Mage

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The everquest next alpha, and its menu music has got me nostalgic for everquest so I decided to try this and see how well I remember it. The one problem I'm running into is that in everquest I only ever played as a wizard. I loved being able to travel around at will, and help other people who needed to get somewhere (luclin and its teleporters basically destroyed the only reason for wizards to exist which made me sad). Sadly they were kinda useless in a group compared to every other class, and in every mmo i've played since I've always played as a healer.

So I'm kinda torn, I don't know whether to go for the tried and true travelin' fun of my wizard, or try playing a cleric, a class I never ever tried back in eq, but would undoubtedly be more useful to groups.

Does anyone have any advice on playing a cleric in wow and how it compares to something like a priest in wow, etc?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

The everquest next alpha, and its menu music has got me nostalgic for everquest so I decided to try this and see how well I remember it. The one problem I'm running into is that in everquest I only ever played as a wizard. I loved being able to travel around at will, and help other people who needed to get somewhere (luclin and its teleporters basically destroyed the only reason for wizards to exist which made me sad). Sadly they were kinda useless in a group compared to every other class, and in every mmo i've played since I've always played as a healer.

So I'm kinda torn, I don't know whether to go for the tried and true travelin' fun of my wizard, or try playing a cleric, a class I never ever tried back in eq, but would undoubtedly be more useful to groups.

Does anyone have any advice on playing a cleric in wow and how it compares to something like a priest in wow, etc?
You could also consider a Druid, they can teleport just as well, and are a bit more group friendly. A wizard is not useless in groups though, who told you that? Come Velious, soon to be released, I recall wizards becoming very powerful, with big nukes, lures and improved mana regen.

A Cleric is very different from the wow priest. Clerics can pretty much only buff and heal, and barely do any meaningful damage asides from a few costly nukes and pitiful melee. Clerics are BY FAR the best healer in old EQ, leagues better than the second best (druid and shaman). They are an absolute must on raids, and have several unique buffs and spells. You should be able to join groups very easily (or form your own), but it will be ridiculously tiresome to solo your way to the top.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pilsner posted:

You could also consider a Druid, they can teleport just as well, and are a bit more group friendly. A wizard is not useless in groups though, who told you that? Come Velious, soon to be released, I recall wizards becoming very powerful, with big nukes, lures and improved mana regen.

Well, I just remember the annoyance of trying to find groups, everyone wants a tank or healer but wizards were always "yeah.... we'll call you if we need a port".

Pilsner posted:

A Cleric is very different from the wow priest. Clerics can pretty much only buff and heal, and barely do any meaningful damage asides from a few costly nukes and pitiful melee. Clerics are BY FAR the best healer in old EQ, leagues better than the second best (druid and shaman). They are an absolute must on raids, and have several unique buffs and spells. You should be able to join groups very easily (or form your own), but it will be ridiculously tiresome to solo your way to the top.

This was kind of my concern, the priest (and most post everquest healers) seem to also be competent all around spell casters specializing in heals, but not being anywhere near as laser focused as EQ clerics. I guess at the same time I like playing the group healer, and finding groups easy, I loath the brutality of EQ letting me be responsible for a group wiping if I gently caress up slightly.

... That brutality in general is going to probably be the biggest surprise to me after more than 10 years. poo poo it was brutal back then, but after the softness of modern MMO's I wonder if I can even remember it fully.

edit: invisible air elementals, too high level, wandering around low level zones with griffins... yep... good ol' everquest

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 21, 2014

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You will be able to get groups as a wizard during the low-mid level stretch where soloing can be pretty painful. By the time you get higher level and the weakness of a wizard in group really starts to be exposed, you will be making better XP soloing (quad kiting). Quadding can easily sustain you into your mid 50s, at which point you have fairly easy access to the fastest XP in the game - AE groups (Chardok being the current fav zone for this on P99). If you want to raid, wizards are really the only int caster useful in quantity because they're the only class that can land nukes against the resists of raid mobs (the above mentioned "lure" line of spells). In Velious this becomes even more pronounced as mob resists and hp go way way up. Wizards get specialized lures that work against giants/dragons while enchanters become glorified buff bots, mages are mod rod and CoH machines, and necros are mana batteries for clerics (the really good ones might be helping to pull or to drag bodies around in NToV).

But if you really want to be in normal 6 man groups during your entire leveling up career, wizard is def not the best choice. Druid is really no better. Cleric is a great choice, but as has been mentioned, you have pretty limited solo capability. You can do alright soloing undead due to the undead-only line of mana-efficient nukes, but that really restricts which zones you can go to.

Tom Guycot posted:

I guess at the same time I like playing the group healer, and finding groups easy, I loath the brutality of EQ letting me be responsible for a group wiping if I gently caress up slightly.
Healing is not hard in EQ, in fact, most people who quit after making a cleric do so because it's pretty boring to do nothing but buff and heal. As long as you don't ninja AFK the only real thing you can do to gently caress up is overheal, which isn't going to do anything except slow down your group's XP flow as they wait on your mana. If your group wipes it's going to be because your puller or CC people hosed up, you got trained by someone else, a pet caster hosed up and lost control and his pet glitched through a wall, etc..

Clerics, like wizards, are one of the three classes that will really be wanted in bulk quantities for Velious raids (clerics, wizards, rogues) so you'll have no problem on that front regardless of which choice you make.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

You will be able to get groups as a wizard during the low-mid level stretch where soloing can be pretty painful. By the time you get higher level and the weakness of a wizard in group really starts to be exposed, you will be making better XP soloing (quad kiting). Quadding can easily sustain you into your mid 50s, at which point you have fairly easy access to the fastest XP in the game - AE groups (Chardok being the current fav zone for this on P99). If you want to raid, wizards are really the only int caster useful in quantity because they're the only class that can land nukes against the resists of raid mobs (the above mentioned "lure" line of spells). In Velious this becomes even more pronounced as mob resists and hp go way way up. Wizards get specialized lures that work against giants/dragons while enchanters become glorified buff bots, mages are mod rod and CoH machines, and necros are mana batteries for clerics (the really good ones might be helping to pull or to drag bodies around in NToV).

But if you really want to be in normal 6 man groups during your entire leveling up career, wizard is def not the best choice. Druid is really no better. Cleric is a great choice, but as has been mentioned, you have pretty limited solo capability. You can do alright soloing undead due to the undead-only line of mana-efficient nukes, but that really restricts which zones you can go to.
Healing is not hard in EQ, in fact, most people who quit after making a cleric do so because it's pretty boring to do nothing but buff and heal. As long as you don't ninja AFK the only real thing you can do to gently caress up is overheal, which isn't going to do anything except slow down your group's XP flow as they wait on your mana. If your group wipes it's going to be because your puller or CC people hosed up, you got trained by someone else, a pet caster hosed up and lost control and his pet glitched through a wall, etc..

Clerics, like wizards, are one of the three classes that will really be wanted in bulk quantities for Velious raids (clerics, wizards, rogues) so you'll have no problem on that front regardless of which choice you make.

:words: All I saw in that post was: Clerics, like wizards, are one of the three classes that will really be wanted in bulk quantities for Velious raids (clerics, wizards, rogues)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

:words: All I saw in that post was: Clerics, like wizards, are one of the three classes that will really be wanted in bulk quantities for Velious raids (clerics, wizards, rogues)

Except everyone and their mom has twinked rogues with epics ready to go.

In short, noone wants you, and never will. deal-with-it.gif

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

My advice to be a wizard is to find goons that let you leach experience in AOE groups. That or just don't be a wizard because they suck and raiding is boring.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
I just started playing my wizard again. :(

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Don't listen to that lazy rear end. Wizards are masters of quading. If you can't find a group, you'll make more exp soloing.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Soloing in EQ is the worst thing ever. The actual mechanics of EQ combat is interesting because of the interaction of multiple class types working together to kill stuff as efficiently as possible. Casting the same three spells by yourself as you run in circles in the woods killing the same stuff for dozens of hours is weak sauce. Find a class that's good with groups or go play a game that's actually fun by yourself imo.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Good question. I tend to get bored of playing the druid easily but the solo exp is easy. Leveling up the druid would probably be a better route to improving my economic footing however.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Grats! You playing tonight?

Sorry, I wasn't. Got swamped with work this week.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
If anyone is looking for a fellow neckbeard to group with and or leach my bard swarm kiting exp shoot endurance a tell, god swarm kiting is boring work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I'm having the hardest time leveling my cleric to 14. Crushbone is packed and grouping's been difficult.

Would any 60 goon be willing to help me get to 14 so I can hit up Unrest. Better yet, anyone want to start a regular alt group?

Have:
11 Cleric
21 Necro
22 Shaman
26 Wizard
29 Ranger

• Locked thread