Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Don't think of it as a terrible arc of Unwritten, but a good arc of Fables. The crossover is worse than Unwritten but also leagues better than how the actual Fables comic ended that arc (it takes place in an alternate timeline where their bad guy wasn't beaten in the most anticlimactic fashion possible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's pointless. But you should just read the last issue of the crossover because the way it ends is great.

Also you can't avoid reading it as the start of Apocalypse doesn't tie in with the end of the last pre-crossover issue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Argue posted:

Don't think of it as a terrible arc of Unwritten, but a good arc of Fables. The crossover is worse than Unwritten but also leagues better than how the actual Fables comic ended that arc (it takes place in an alternate timeline where their bad guy wasn't beaten in the most anticlimactic fashion possible).

That's a little disappointing. I was kind of hoping that was actual plot in Fables. It would have made the series maybe worth checking out again.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Aw man the first issue of Apocalypse got me so pumped for Unwritten again. then I saw that The Ship That Sank Twice was on Comixology store now and read it and got even more pumped and then I bought all the back issues that I don't have in digital in the sale and now I'm pumped to read the whole thing from the beginning again in one go.

Unwritten is pretty great, is what I'm saying. I've been reading it in monthlies since it started and I've probably forgotten a lot of stuff, so re-reading from the beginning is gonna be great.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

krakagar posted:

Aw man the first issue of Apocalypse got me so pumped for Unwritten again. then I saw that The Ship That Sank Twice was on Comixology store now and read it and got even more pumped and then I bought all the back issues that I don't have in digital in the sale and now I'm pumped to read the whole thing from the beginning again in one go.

Unwritten is pretty great, is what I'm saying. I've been reading it in monthlies since it started and I've probably forgotten a lot of stuff, so re-reading from the beginning is gonna be great.

It's a really good book, and I look forward to how gorgeous the cover will be almost as much as I look forward to the story inside.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Got an email that Comixology is doing a Lucifer sale. 99c per issue. I haven't read it myself but I might check it out now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Madkal posted:

Got an email that Comixology is doing a Lucifer sale. 99c per issue. I haven't read it myself but I might check it out now.

Of course they do that on a week I'm poor :(

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Madkal posted:

Take the plunge. It's one hell of a funny book.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Having 75 individual issues on sale is always perplexing to me. Do i really want to do 75 transactions through the app, hitting purchase each time? I've already read the whole thing, so I could purchase individual issues I like, but it would take me forever to even figure out what those are. Seems like a limiting system for making money.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cast No Engine posted:

Having 75 individual issues on sale is always perplexing to me. Do i really want to do 75 transactions through the app, hitting purchase each time? I've already read the whole thing, so I could purchase individual issues I like, but it would take me forever to even figure out what those are. Seems like a limiting system for making money.

That's why you buy them through the website.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hakkesshu posted:

That's why you buy them through the website.

I have to do this because the app keeps trying to use google accounts other than the main one. It's the weirdest drat thing.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I just finished my Unwritten re-read. It is so good, but dang does it suddenly grind to a halt when it hits the Fables crossover. I don't understand why it even happens. It's more of a Fables story than an Unwritten story, and seeing as it doesn't even take place in the regular Fables-verse, just some kind of grim-dark version, it seems kind of pointless. It should have happened in Fables instead without interrupting Unwritten just as it was reaching an awesome climax.

But apart from that, I'd forgotten so much good stuff. It's probably as good as Lucifer, and I hope it lasts at least as long as that did. It feels like the story still has quite a way to go yet.

Unwritten is great, is what I am trying to say.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

krakagar posted:

But apart from that, I'd forgotten so much good stuff. It's probably as good as Lucifer, and I hope it lasts at least as long as that did. It feels like the story still has quite a way to go yet.

Only 11 issues left not including the one that came out last week.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Only 11 issues left not including the one that came out last week.

Aww man! That just makes me even more annoyed that they wasted 5 issues on the Fables stuff!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
So Preacher on AMC is realy happening with Seth Rogen and Evan Golberg producing it. I have no idea what to think of this.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DangerKat posted:

So Preacher on AMC is realy happening with Seth Rogen and Evan Golberg producing it. I have no idea what to think of this.

How about being excited as gently caress? I know I am.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Anyone else check out the first issue of Rob Williams' "The Royals"? I'm almost disappointed it's just a mini considering what a great start it's off to. I'm loving Simon Coleby's art.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are volumes 4 and 5 of the old Vertigo Animal Man worth picking up? I really liked the first three Morrison ones but I know he leaves after those.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Volume posted:

How about being excited as gently caress? I know I am.

If by some miracle it makes at least 3 seasons, I can imagine "Not enough gun" making for one hell of a season finalé.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If you're not reading Unwritten, you're missing out on some magnificent craziness:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

If you're not reading Unwritten, you're missing out on some magnificent craziness:

That's not even nearly the weirdest page from the issue. God I love this book so much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

krakagar posted:

That's not even nearly the weirdest page from the issue. God I love this book so much.

Why did it have the Fables crossover? I mean I could understand if it was to boost sales, but its ending after its next storyline anyways.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Why did it have the Fables crossover? I mean I could understand if it was to boost sales, but its ending after its next storyline anyways.

The Fables crossover was pretty bad, but it did make sense in terms of the wider Unwritten story, dealing with how the different story universes fit together. And the last issue was badass. But yeah, it could have been done in less issues, and for me it killed a lot of the momentum of the story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would have liked to live in the universe where we got that Fables instead of what we have now because that story seemed way more interesting than what we got.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That one panel of the rake's face from profile before he's about to hang Lizzie. Holy loving poo poo, Peter Gross. Holy. loving. poo poo.

e:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

I would have liked to live in the universe where we got that Fables instead of what we have now because that story seemed way more interesting than what we got.

It was certainly the best Fables story for a long time. Man, I remember when Fables was one of the best comics out each month, something to actually look forward to, but these days I'm beginning to doubt how t hat could ever have possibly been true, it's so tedious. I'm not insane, it did use to be good, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

krakagar posted:

It was certainly the best Fables story for a long time. Man, I remember when Fables was one of the best comics out each month, something to actually look forward to, but these days I'm beginning to doubt how t hat could ever have possibly been true, it's so tedious. I'm not insane, it did use to be good, right?

For me it was good until the main arc ended, and the Isreal part. I then reread the early part and saw the political poo poo that was already in there and colored the way I viewed it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I read the first volume of Fables. It just didn't hook me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I still think it's really cool in that English major kind of way, where it reinterprets and plays around with folktales and their weird histories (like Snow White and Rose Red). That stuff is not only well-done, but also really compelling to read, I think. I'm not going to apologize for Willingham's bullshit, and it's obviously gone downhill, but I do think there are plenty of awesome ideas and concepts at work there. The Telltale game is a pretty safe way to enjoy it without having to worry about the author, but even so I still legitimately enjoy Fables as a whole.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I really liked Fables. Willingham DOES have talent as a writer, but his obnoxious ego eventually poisoned it for me.

I still can reread parts of it and enjoy it, but after the Adversary war ended, it lost all direction. And Jack of Fable's descent into complete anarchical gibberish was also very depressing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So....any release date on Sandman Overture No. 2 coming out?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

So....any release date on Sandman Overture No. 2 coming out?

Was it delayed again? It was resolicited for 3/26.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
At the rate they're going, the book won't finish until November 2015.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That's a split second compared to our Brief Lives (tm).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Unwritten is great. OK, see you folks next month.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unwritten is great. OK, see you folks next month.

Not until you can name all the war stories portrayed. :colbert:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
As soon as War of the Worlds showed up I flipped out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did anything ever happen in Unwritten with the real world literary facts that Carey gets wrong, like Milton coming up with Satan in the same house Shelley got the idea for Frankenstein, or was it just a few urban legends here and there that Carey didn't fact check?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'm still trying to figure out why Callender is in the very first issue as a jealous hack writer. I'm only up to the 7th trade though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh my loving hell, Sandman #2 was so worth the wait.

• Locked thread