Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

If you're under the same liege you can't usurp without a claim.

Ah, okay. So, do I send my guy to fabricate a claim in my own territory? Or do I have to get it by plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ah, okay. So, do I send my guy to fabricate a claim in my own territory? Or do I have to get it by plot?

Either works.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fabricating a claim in your own territory is really, really useful in all sorts of situations. I now see it as primarily a tool of domestic politics.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Cease to Hope posted:

Education traits come from your last mentor. So instead of a 1/300,000 shot like the way you initially described it, it's only a 1/2000 shot (assuming the other mentors weren't diplomats).

So did my raising them for 5 years throw off the chances of them getting a diplo trait? Because one of the did pick up a martial trait (which I was) while the other picked up the 2nd level intrigue trait. The rest, which were fully trained by diplomats, picked up learning and stewardship traits.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dPB posted:

So did my raising them for 5 years throw off the chances of them getting a diplo trait? Because one of the did pick up a martial trait (which I was) while the other picked up the 2nd level intrigue trait. The rest, which were fully trained by diplomats, picked up learning and stewardship traits.

Oh, weird. I honestly don't know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It only checks educator at the moment they turn 16. You had 5 extremely unlikely coinflips all come up in a row.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Of course, there are a lot of people playing CK2 and a lot of coinflips going on, you just happened to be one of the people who had such an unlikely set of coinflips happen.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Arglebargle III posted:

Fabricating a claim in your own territory is really, really useful in all sorts of situations. I now see it as primarily a tool of domestic politics.

It is. Whenever a duke is getting irritating I either kill him and raise his heir or fabricate claims on his lands and revoke all of it.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
The worst part is that the 2nd level intrigue guy is my genius son. He has 7 intrigue in total. I had 2 and his diplo teacher had none. I can just picture it as he tells his dad that he's going to be a spymaster and his dad starts ripping up his posters à la Boogie Nights

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pester posted:

Since I installed ckii+ I haven't been able to get past the "loading flags" loading screen when firing up the game. Any ideas of how I can fix it? I don't have any other mods activated and only Game of Thrones and Flat Maps installed.

Are you using the latest version of CK2+? I also had issues with the Wiz-made version, but CK2+ as posted on the paradoxplaza forums, by the new team, works without an issue.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I really, really, really can't seem to capture the Pope. I've sieged Rome down dozens of time, letting them recapture it before moving in again, I've hunted down his army everytime he's out leading one, but he keeps evading me. And I can't figure out where to attack to try and get one of the Caliphs, the Patriarch or the Coptic Pope. Is there anything that I'm missing?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The Coptic Pope is in Alexandria, the Caliph is usually a secular ruler and it's title can be inherited like a feudal one and there can be many, many patriarchs.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
To locate someone, right click on their portrait, right click on the little head icon, then click the icon that says "Go to location". You can also check just below the dynasty/family/realm trees, it'll generally tell you where they are.

I don't think you can get the Coptic Pope because he doesn't hold any of the holdings in Alexandria. (Unless, by some obscenely small chance, Abyssinia's moved north and given him some territory.) The Ecumenical Patriarch is invariably in Constantinople. The Caliph could be anywhere, but is usually one of Baghdad/Mecca/Damascus.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I managed to keep myself in check for close to 130 hours of playing, but I finally had to do it. I stabbed my own grandson, who was actually pretty okay as an heir, so that his genius brilliant strategist brother could inherit the throne.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

NewMars posted:

The Coptic Pope is in Alexandria, the Caliph is usually a secular ruler and it's title can be inherited like a feudal one and there can be many, many patriarchs.

Only the Ecumenical one counts as the head of the Orthodox church though.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I finally got the Pope in my dungeon by conquering the Kingdom of Italy, pressing a de jure claim on Rome, somehow taking all the holdings for myself instead of just vassalizing the country (don't get why that was), then discovering I couldn't arrest the Pope like I wanted, so I imprisoned his heir who was a bishop in one of the countries I conquered, then stabbed the current Pope. loving finally. And then I discover that I can't take any decisions aside from inviting nobles/holy men/debutantes. I'm not at war, my character is perfectly healthy, but I can't go on a hunt or hold a great blot. I don't know what's the matter, and I'm starting to really, really hate this game for being so god damned obscure all the time.

Also, my current ruler came to power 11 years ago, but the 'has reigned for 10 years'-condition when trying to change inheritance laws is still crossed out. Uuuuurgh.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 21, 2014

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Jolan posted:

Also, my current ruler came to power 11 years ago, but the 'has reigned for 10 years'-condition when trying to change inheritance laws is still crossed out. Uuuuurgh.

Did your primary title change at any time during that period? Like did you form an Empire some year after that character came to power?

Empire laws are separate from any of those of its vassal kingdoms. For example your empire of Britannia could have absolute crown authority and Primogeniture succession while the kingdom of Aquitane could have low crown authority and gavelkind succession despite being a vassal of your empire or even under your direct control.

Unless I'm wrong, the same goes for ruling period. If your current character came to power 11 years ago with the Kingdom of Scotland as his primary title, then went on to form the Empire of Alba 5 years ago, he'll still have to wait 5 more years to change the succession law for the empire (though he'll still be able to change succession law for the Kingdom of Scotland, if the title still exists and he still controls it directly).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eventually he grows up to be a comedian with a really annoying voice, but today he is just a pup.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Eventually he grows up to be a comedian with a really annoying voice, but today he is just a pup.

With a name like Gisellbertszoon it'd be a tragedy if he didn't!

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Zoinker posted:

Did your primary title change at any time during that period? Like did you form an Empire some year after that character came to power?

Empire laws are separate from any of those of its vassal kingdoms. For example your empire of Britannia could have absolute crown authority and Primogeniture succession while the kingdom of Aquitane could have low crown authority and gavelkind succession despite being a vassal of your empire or even under your direct control.

Unless I'm wrong, the same goes for ruling period. If your current character came to power 11 years ago with the Kingdom of Scotland as his primary title, then went on to form the Empire of Alba 5 years ago, he'll still have to wait 5 more years to change the succession law for the empire (though he'll still be able to change succession law for the Kingdom of Scotland, if the title still exists and he still controls it directly).

I know. I was talking about the kingdom title I inherited from my dead father. My ruler eventually ruled for about 40 years, and any kingdom/empire title I had (all aquired within my first decade in power) still said he was in his first 10 years. The decision issue seems to have been inherited by his son/my current ruler, so I think my game's bugged and I'm going to have to restart the entire loving thing all over again if I can resist the urge to rage-uninstall it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is anyone else having difficulty getting CKII to start? Not as in crashing while loading, as in the CKII starter pops up, shows all the mod and DLC stuff as blank and unselectable, and then when I click "start CKII" it doesn't start at all.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Flesnolk posted:

Is anyone else having difficulty getting CKII to start? Not as in crashing while loading, as in the CKII starter pops up, shows all the mod and DLC stuff as blank and unselectable, and then when I click "start CKII" it doesn't start at all.

Are you on Windows 8?

Running the game directly instead of through Steam should give you a missing dll error. Searching for that .dll should point you to whatever it is you're missing. I think it's a Microsoft C++ redistributable file, but I can't remember which.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm on Windows 8, but running it through Steam. This problem hasn't happened before today. I also tried running the game directly but didn't get any missing .dll error.

Edit: Mystery solved, it was a Direct X problem; running the updater in the Steam files fixed the launcher.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 21, 2014

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I just encountered a DirectX error for another game, is this a coincidence? I've never had DirectX errors before.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I know if my raiders are actually looting? They just seem to stand in the enemy territory, not sieging it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If they're not sieging and the loot bar isn't going down, they're not looting. Check and see who owns the next available stronghold, I don't think you can raid people of your faith.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
e: ^^ also that. Check the leader's religion, has to be non-pagan.

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I know if my raiders are actually looting? They just seem to stand in the enemy territory, not sieging it.

If the crossed pikes on top of the unit is colored red, then they are not looting and they are sieging. If they have the red marker indicating they cannot siege due to insufficient numbers, then move them to a new county cause they ain't doing poo poo.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jolan posted:

Hmm, not sure, but I think your vassals have to be at peace as well.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

e: ^^ also that. Check the leader's religion, has to be non-pagan.

I've been raided by fellow Norse many a time, so I'm not so sure that's true.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think the Norse can raid any coastal province regardless of religion, but I'm not sure. For the other pagans (except West Africa, which can't raid or do anything interesting) the victims have to be of a different religion than you. So a Romuva can raid a Slavic or Catholic, but not another Romuva.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hellsjudge posted:

If the crossed pikes on top of the unit is colored red, then they are not looting and they are sieging.

This is usually temporary though. Also remember to keep a fleet in a sea zone adjacent to what you're looting, unless the target province borders your realm.

Flesnolk posted:

I've been raided by fellow Norse many a time, so I'm not so sure that's true.

I've definitely failed to raid Norse provinces in the past, so I think that's true.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TTBF posted:

I think the Norse can raid any coastal province regardless of religion, but I'm not sure. For the other pagans (except West Africa, which can't raid or do anything interesting) the victims have to be of a different religion than you. So a Romuva can raid a Slavic or Catholic, but not another Romuva.

West Africa can evidently raid once it's Reformed, interestingly. At least, they raid me from time to time in my current game where they managed to reform.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm getting ready to pick this up on Steam and there's a "Crusader's II Collection" that appears to include a bunch of unit packs, portraits etc. Any thoughts on how significantly these additional goodies will impact my CK2 experience?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I wouldn't reccomend that one. CK2 is perfect playable without any add ons. If you WANT stuff I'd recommend these if it seems appealing:
Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims
The Republic - Play as Merchant republics, mostly around northern Italy
Legacy of Rome - Makes the Byzantines more interesting and gives retinues to everyone (Highly recommended just for the retinues)
The Old Gods - Play as Pagans and roll back the start date to 867 (Highly Recommended in general)
Sons of Abraham - Gives new events and mechanics to Christians and Muslims

However for the most part just playing a Christian ruler without any add-ons will entertain you for hours alone so there's no NEED to buy all these up before you play.

The problem is that collection includes a LOT of cosmetic dlc which while I shamefully will admit I own all of them, are not worth buying full price.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The music isn't worth full price but it is worth not hearing the same three songs over and over again.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Does Sons of Abraham nerf the Vikings when you're playing as a Christian ruler in 866? I remember trying to create the Kingdom of Ireland was hard as poo poo in Old Gods, but it seems to be a hell of a lot easier now.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
IMO you're only missing out on content when not having TOG for the start date and to a lesser extent Legacy of Rome just for the retinues. The other major DLC are for players who are interested in a little bit more depth (Songs of Abraham) and a new playstyle (Muslims & Republics).

Don't even bother buying the minor DLC packs unless you really, really want one of them. I for example bought the holy warriors pack because I liked the look of the Zoroastrian holy warriors. You can find all of the music from the music packs for free on youtube in playlists if you really want to have them. :) I wouldn't pay for it but should you decide to it is a nice way to help the developers.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Cool, thanks. I usually end up turning the in game music off anyway.

That Old Gods sounds pretty cool so maybe I'll pick that up down the line but it sounds like I can save my :10bux: x 4 for now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

itsgotmetoo posted:

Does Sons of Abraham nerf the Vikings when you're playing as a Christian ruler in 866? I remember trying to create the Kingdom of Ireland was hard as poo poo in Old Gods, but it seems to be a hell of a lot easier now.

Not really. It just depends on where the AI tries to focus its efforts now. Sometimes it'll try to take Ireland sometimes it won't. For a while it was easier because they lowered boats for everyone (and Ireland is pretty well blocked off from land) but they changed it so Norse rulers have a ton of boats again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Actually, now that I've looked at the map, it looks like the Norse have lost all but Jorvik in England and Scotland, Denmark is Christian, and besides a Norse Kingdom of Norway they just haven't had much success in this game.

• Locked thread