Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Helter Skelter posted:

This is correct. Proper order should always be Guardian first, then the special ability (Vacuum/Vaporize/etc.). The the attack ability (Stiker, Swtift Deth, etc.) and Regen come after that, but the order for those doesn't matter too much as long as they're after the others. Coolant Leak, if you have it, should probably go after the special ability and before the attack ability, but I only got it recently and haven't fiddled with it much (and usually don't run with an attack mod slotted on Carrier anyway).

Coolant leak is amazing it made me forma my Carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In void missions, what's the trick to using the Loki to decoy / switch teleport through a closed parkour door? I ran into this issue yesterday. I've seen Squirrel do it (by blind luck I would like to think) in the latest update but I wasn't able to do it :(

This is PS4 by the way.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

seiferguy posted:

In void missions, what's the trick to using the Loki to decoy / switch teleport through a closed parkour door? I ran into this issue yesterday. I've seen Squirrel do it (by blind luck I would like to think) in the latest update but I wasn't able to do it :(

This is PS4 by the way.

I just cast the decoy so its back leg is sticking through the door a bit. At least for me it works better if I'm a little bit away from it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
:siren: Dead Eye alert on PC! :siren:

*It maxes out at +5 and +20% damage to sniper rifles only, so it's totally useless, yay!

(Rifle Amp works on all primary weapons (except shotguns apparently) and maxes out at +7 and +27% damage)

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 21, 2014

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Sup y'all couple questions from a noob:

1) When should I expect to get a sentinel if I grind it out? I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through Venus at the moment.
2) Same question, but for a 2nd warframe. I gather a lot of folks here like Rhino?
3) Is there only the one solar system's worth of missions at the moment? like when I get to whatever the last planet I can currently see, ive reached the "endgame"?

Also I found the guild dojo and the crafting options, I'm gonna craft the cool guns that have been recommended over the past page or so.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
How does Prime Access work? I ask because I see that it's set to go away Feb 25. Will it be replaced by something similar (as in, including a different Prime warframe or something)?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

melon farmer posted:

1) When should I expect to get a sentinel if I grind it out? I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through Venus at the moment.
2) Same question, but for a 2nd warframe. I gather a lot of folks here like Rhino?
3) Is there only the one solar system's worth of missions at the moment? like when I get to whatever the last planet I can currently see, ive reached the "endgame"?

1. The main limiting thing for sentinels is the BP cost, 100,000 credits. If you can gather that and have access to Control Modules, you can get one fairly easily.

2. Rhino is indeed what you want for a second frame. The part blueprints are on Venus, and you'll also need to get Control Modules, Neural Sensors, and Orokin Cells in small quantities to build it. These are found in Europa/the Void, Jupiter, and Saturn/Ceres/Derelicts (and very rare drops from any boss), respectively. You can probably get people to drag you to farming missions for those things more easily that walking to each planet.

3. There's no endgame as such (the closest is doing extremely long survival and defense missions anywhere), but there are missions outside of the solar system in the form of the Orokin Towers and Derelicts. You get keys to the first as mission rewards, and you make the keys to the second using Nav Coordinates and blueprints from the market.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Shab posted:

How does Prime Access work? I ask because I see that it's set to go away Feb 25. Will it be replaced by something similar (as in, including a different Prime warframe or something)?

I'm expecting them to do a new one with whatever the new prime gear is. I think there was talk of it being the Loki Prime. The Rhino Prime was also mentioned, but I think the Loki had more stuff supporting it as the pick.

I really hope the Vectis gets Primed. They're kind of light on Tenno guns left to prime, and I doubt they'd prime the new clantech guns so soon.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Mercury_Storm posted:

:siren: Dead Eye alert on PC! :siren:

*It maxes out at +5 and +20% damage to sniper rifles only, so it's totally useless, yay!

(Rifle Amp works on all primary weapons (except shotguns apparently) and maxes out at +7 and +27% damage)

The wiki says it maxes out at +60%.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Who're you going to trust? The wiki or a goon who has the mod and is telling you about it?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Clearly not my unrealistic expectations of DE having a clue when it comes to balance.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Echophonic posted:

I really hope the Vectis gets Primed. They're kind of light on Tenno guns left to prime, and I doubt they'd prime the new clantech guns so soon.
I'm waiting on the Boltor Prime. :colbert:

The could also do another sidearm. Bolto, Lex, Furis, maybe a Vasto Prime?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The answer to any problem that begins with, ends with, or contains the qualifier "soloing" is simple: stop soloing.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zakmonster posted:

Also, all melee attacks while invisible automatically crit.

I don't think this is actually true. Sneak attacks get a large damage boost, but they're not crits. This matters because organ shatter doesn't become magically good if you stealth, straight damage (either for charge attacks or regular attacks) is a more reliable boost. The only reason to use organ shatter is to pair it with true steel, and I think the only reason to use that is if you're using the dual ichors on a valkyre.

dsgasdas
Jul 10, 2004

pretty keen
its a lot easier on the fingers to use a charge attack+crit weapon with your invis

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

melon farmer posted:

Also I found the guild dojo and the crafting options, I'm gonna craft the cool guns that have been recommended over the past page or so.

as another new player spend your money upgrading a weapon before buying the rhino parts. I'm on earth and struggling to deal damage. Would be easier to upgrade gun them grind for rhino!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Just a reminder, the Devstream is starting in a few minutes.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

After a thorough round of testing this evening, Denzine and I have come to a startling conclusion.

gently caress the 1 and 2 on flappyframe.

Slot absolute max duration (yes, Duration, so continuity, constitution, narrow minded) and your 3 turns into a personal/pod pre-nerf snowglobe that travels with you, and your tornadoes, aside from being ridiculous with default magnetic damage, but even BETTER if you load them with whatever element your gun is using, will utterly lock down an entire area for 50 seconds, no watching needed. You can't combine elements in it, so shooting it with fire then cold won't make it blast, but shooting it with blast or corrosive will make it such.

As a slight side effect, your face will be shoved through your rear end in a top hat as you try to Tail Wind into things. But it will cross the largest rooms in a single casting without issue! I REALLY want to bring one on a T3 defense and see how ridiculous it is.
So I've not yet slotted the 3 (priorities!) but I've still largely taken this advice. Even with just the 4 and Fleeting Expertise -50%, my tornadoes last for about 35 seconds.

Yeah, birdframe is rather wild if you spec her properly. (It's not shown there but each of my weapons have 3-4K XP. My frame had 48K after that.)

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I've been helping a lowbie friend grind mats for rhino/useful weapons and leveling birdframe at the same time. Ran into some issues on Xini with her Zephyr skill.

Occasionally ALL THE DAMAGE will just go right through while the skill is up, for no apparent reason. Any ideas/suggestions to prevent that happening?

Edit:

Yeah, just hook up with other goons doing farming runs to finish off your MK1 to 30, otherwise you'll just end up re-buying it to level later and it will be more painful then after you've used good weapons.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 21, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've almost gathered enough credits to buy a normal Braton, but I have a question about Mastery - I understand that weapon affinity is one way to raise it, so should I still use the Mk-I Braton in order to maximize its affinity? According to the wiki, the weapon affinity is the biggest component of Mastery EXP, but would I obtain rank 8-10 without maxing many weapons? I don't really want to grind this rifle, I want to sell it and forget about it :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Jesus Christ, who thought putting the Penta in the game was balanced or fair? :psyduck: It completely breaks the game in half, it's amazing.

At least make it use sniper ammo, DE! That would make more sense than giving me 545 grenades that do ~800 damage each before Split Chamber.

Szurumbur posted:

I've almost gathered enough credits to buy a normal Braton, but I have a question about Mastery - I understand that weapon affinity is one way to raise it, so should I still use the Mk-I Braton in order to maximize its affinity? According to the wiki, the weapon affinity is the biggest component of Mastery EXP, but would I obtain rank 8-10 without maxing many weapons? I don't really want to grind this rifle, I want to sell it and forget about it :(

You'll need to max a quite a few weapons to reach ML7-8, but there's more than enough ingame that you'll never need to max the Mk1. The only reason you'd do that is if you want to reach ML15 or whatever the current theoretical maximum is, which is completely pointless since new stuff stops at ML8.

troublegum
Mar 31, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

You can sell your Mk1-Braton and still easily hit those mastery ranks without stressing about it. It all depends on how willing you are to forgo having a codex page full of weapons with stars on their pictures, or if you're desperate to hit maximum current MR. And since you need all of the weapons available plus a bunch of event exclusives and old stuff that's since been retired to do that... that's not a thing you need to worry about too much.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Jesus Christ, who thought putting the Penta in the game was balanced or fair? :psyduck: It completely breaks the game in half, it's amazing.

At least make it use sniper ammo, DE! That would make more sense than giving me 545 grenades that do ~800 damage each before Split Chamber.

You'll need to max a quite a few weapons to reach ML7-8, but there's more than enough ingame that you'll never need to max the Mk1. The only reason you'd do that is if you want to reach ML15 or whatever the current theoretical maximum is, which is completely pointless since new stuff stops at ML8.

But you get an extra extractor placement at 10! That's helpful, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Livestream summary (pics are going to be lovely quality because my internet connection was not cooperating)

Going to add ability to move and resize individual HUD elements (not immediate next step)

Next update has a lot of UI stuff in it
    Space Hub is a relay on every planet, a massive persisent lobby
    includes storefront for immersive players, quick access menu for players who just want to buy something
    star chart is becoming cumbersome
    adding Play Now

-your next mission on the star chart, in terms of moving along the star chart
    -alerts and invasions
    -your friends list
    New clan page - people without clan will have a "Finding a clan" section

Pillars for Warframe in general and UI in specific
    1: easy to learn, hard to master - need to improve on the first part, increase learnability
    2: Warframe united - keep artstyle consistent (including Warframe Nexus)

3: the universe is the hero - letting the world shine
    4: Tenno, together - connecting with squad/clan
    5: Community, constantly
    Not going to have warframe-specific HUDs in the near future, though think it's a neat idea
    Floating damage numbers not going away (in an ideal world, would be able to turn them off)
    Vauban going to get skill timers, like Snowglobe
    probably not going to add durations for other player's powers
    not planning to change the player avatar to show what frame the player is using
    not planning to show other player's weapons in-mission
    probably going to display equipped auras eventually
    will revisit idea of crosshair types changing with recoil (not in near future)
    want to make upgrade process more intuitive for new players
    Not planning to have per-weapon breakdown in end mission results
    Ability to queue up foundry items is an interesting idea
    Minimap icons going to have hierarchy (extraction>objectives>allies, etc)
    Want to improve colorblind usability
    Going to add marker for downed players
    For melee 2.0, going to have melee weapon info displayed in HUD
    not planning to show ping/latency
    not planning to be able to turn off sniper rifle overlay
    probably not going to be able to see/swap mods and equipment in dojo
    Going to show difference between NPC allies and players (NPCs will be dots, players will be lotus symbol)

UI designer/programmer have some pretty dumb opinions

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is kind of old hat, really, since the Ogris (which has the exact same issues) was released about nine months ago.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Their thing about player icons not having to match the frame you're using is particularly dumb. That is not something that needs to be customized, and detracts from UI usability. It provides no useful information and isn't relevant to gameplay. Refund the plat for every icon pack purchased, and tie them to your current frame.

troublegum
Mar 31, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm waiting on the Boltor Prime. :colbert:

The could also do another sidearm. Bolto, Lex, Furis, maybe a Vasto Prime?

Bolto Prime to team up with Boltor Prime. :hfive:

Warframe devs posted:

Ability to queue up foundry items is an interesting idea

More than interesting, when it comes to things that you currently can't craft more than one of at a time and which either take a tiny amount of time [Dragon keys, Derelict keys, restores] or an inconveniently long one [Research materials] it would be a really, really player-friendly change to be able to queue up a bunch of them. Surely? :shrug:

redstormpopcorn posted:

Their thing about player icons not having to match the frame you're using is particularly dumb. That is not something that needs to be customized, and detracts from UI usability. It provides no useful information and isn't relevant to gameplay. Refund the plat for every icon pack purchased, and tie them to your current frame.

Also this. Though arguably, you wouldn't need to refund the plat since you can use those icons for your forums avatar! Then again... while I'm in favour of this UI tweak, knowing what frames the other three guys are in isn't a terribly useful decision making tool in most Warframe situations - going into a PUG is mostly going to be either horrible or fine with little in the way of middle ground regardless of what frames they're in.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Then I'll just sell the Mk-I and gather the rest of necessary funds that way, thanks for the answers!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

troublegum posted:

Bolto Prime to team up with Boltor Prime. :hfive:

Then AkBolto Prime!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Piell posted:

Vauban going to get skill timers, like Snowglobe
probably not going to add durations for other player's powers

What does this mean? You can't recast another ability until the first one is gone? All of vauban's abilities are already timers not HP-based like snowglobe is now.

If this means adding a cooldown before reusing them but not doing it to anyone else, that sounds like they're giving up one of the only sensible ways left to balance the game really. With ridiculous characters like Nova and Rhino still breaking the game I feel like one of the best (and only) ways left to introduce some semblance of balance would be to give different powers a cooldown outside of their energy cost, or maybe make them cost more energy the sooner you recast them, etc. Molecular prime wouldn't be as incredibly stupid as it is now if it could only be done once a minute or something.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Piell posted:

UI designer/programmer have some pretty dumb opinions

This is the same brilliant individual that didn't think being able to see your credits was necessary during fusing. The guy is an idiot. A lot of Warframe's problems come from its terrible UI.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kris xK posted:

This is the same brilliant individual that didn't think being able to see your credits was necessary during fusing. The guy is an idiot. A lot of Warframe's problems come from its terrible UI.

And not planning to ever let you see your ping...really??

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What does this mean? You can't recast another ability until the first one is gone? All of vauban's abilities are already timers not HP-based like snowglobe is now.

If this means adding a cooldown before reusing them but not doing it to anyone else, that sounds like they're giving up one of the only sensible ways left to balance the game really. With ridiculous characters like Nova and Rhino still breaking the game I feel like one of the best (and only) ways left to introduce some semblance of balance would be to give different powers a cooldown outside of their energy cost, or maybe make them cost more energy the sooner you recast them, etc. Molecular prime wouldn't be as incredibly stupid as it is now if it could only be done once a minute or something.

Apparently snowglobe now has a UI element for the health remaining? I haven't used my Frost in forever so I'm not sure exactly but they are definitely talking about a UI element rather than a change to the way it works.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
They probably mean that you'll see on the skill icon in the HUD how many seconds are left for whatever abilities you use. Nyx's area confuse skill does this currently.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Cassa posted:

What is it about the Carrier that it's the OPs recommended Sentinel?
Because it will kill AND loot for you, letting you be the Laziest Space Ninja™:

And that's nothing. Mr. Bigglesworth made it to over 350 last night before falling valiantly in battle to evil Bombards but it resulted in a rallying cry for the rest of the team and in the end one of them even surpassed our vaunted hero. Godspeed Mr. Bigglesworth :911:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Seems like there was more about what they're not going to do than what they are.

Piell posted:

probably not going to be able to see/swap mods and equipment in dojo
Also, this is particularly dumb.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Vriess posted:

Then AkBolto Prime!

Then the Shiva Warframe who can wield AkAkAkAkrids!

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

screencaps :effort:

Thanks for taking the time to do these, I just wish there was something a bit more substantial to come. Yes warframe's UI is terrible but then I think that's just a consequence of bad design decisions - for example, I'd like to see ally icons on the minimap tell me what player they represent and what frame they are using, but because of the way the game works (pretty much everyone running around doing their own thing) it's not really that necessary. I'd love a warframe where cell frame composition and teamwork was a bit more in-depth than 'do we have a nekros and/or nova' and in that case we'd need better icons, but currently it doesn't really matter.

Similarly stuff like the wonky ability timers is tied into inconsistent design decisions like 'm-prime can be recasted whenever but stomp fails unless there are no more floating targets'.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Well I kept getting the ce-34878-0 error code so often I am having to reinitialize the PS4.... So now I get to waste2hrs waiting for it to finish. I couldn't even last 18mins in a survival before crashing and even 10mins in a normal mobile defense today. So wiping it all out to redo it. Anyone else having the same error and found a fix? So many prime blueprints lost today because of this error and all those juicy mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Re: power balancing

They need to just accept that energy is a lovely mechanic in an RNG-drop-based system (Energy Siphon notwithstanding) and steal Mass Effect's shared local/global cooldown system for abilities (and steal the universal ammo clip concept while they're at it).

For example:

Rhino
Dash (5s global cooldown, 5s local cooldown)
Iron Skin (10s global cooldown, 30s local cooldown)
Roar (1s global cooldown, 30s local cooldown)
Stomp (15s global cooldown, 45s local cooldown)

Low to medium global timers on Rhino with longish local timers to keep people from spamming stomp on a non-caster-focused frame.

Vauban
Tesla (5s global cooldown, 5s local cooldown)
Bounce (5s global cooldown, 15s local cooldown)
Bastille (5s global cooldown, 35s local cooldown)
Vortex (5s global cooldown, 55s local cooldown)

Low global timers on Vauban to reinforce his "ability spam" role, but reasonable local cooldowns to keep him from dropping 10 bastilles on the objective at the same time.

Etc...