Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Holy dick Cryptics are like 40 bucks now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Madmarker posted:

Is there a list posted for this deck somewhere............................I must build it.
This guy's deck card-for-card no. I was mistaken that he was running a popular MTGO grinder's merfolk shell with blood moon deck. He's playing a true brew as far as I can tell.

We've seen Remand, Clique, Anger of the Gods, Blood Moon, Tefari, Spreading Seas, Master of Waves, Shackles, Snag, Snapcaster, Flame Slash(to kill goyfs before they get big? Bolt seems better...), Cryptic Command, and mana leak/snare/etc.

ScarletBrother posted:

It looks like Cryptic, Snapcaster, Threads of Disloyalty, Teferi, Serum Visions, Batterskull, Master of Waves, Anger of the Gods, and BLOOD MOON.

I think I saw a few Spell Snares.
Could even throw in a 2-of Shadow of Doubt to throw people off too? Really interesting.

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptrtr12/topmoderndecks :D

Korak fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 21, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I heard them say that the Teferi was a one-of out of the sideboard, but with these commentators who knows. Eagerly awaiting the deck tech.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone know if Chris Pikula made it into this PT?

According to the standings pages, no he's not there.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Korak posted:

Flame Slash(to kill goyfs before they get big? Bolt seems better...):D

There's a surprising amount of relevant stuff with 4 toughness--archangel of thune, restoration angel, deceiver exarch. I realize I just named 3 cards where you often don't get a main phase before they grow and/or kill you somehow, but it seems like it's relevant against them more times than you might think, or at least forces the other player to play differently.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Hall of Fame is dumb sometimes. Alan Comer, Dirk Baberowski, Bram Snepvangers, there are plenty of names in the HOF that, while certainly deserving didn't contribute as much to the game as Pikula especially in the early Pro Tour years and community contributions writing and commentating for years.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

JerryLee posted:

With recent controversy about notorious cheaters returning to the game, I was amused to see who was on top of the Round 3 standings.

Granted Trey wasn't ever a Bertoncini, but it's still funny.

Top of the standings after 3 rounds of draft, even!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Standings going into round 6. Wish they showed which Team instead of country but whatever.

Zoo 64 16.16%
Twin 45 11.36%
Melira Pod 33 8.33%
W/U/R Flash 29 7.32%
Jund 27 6.81%
Hexproof Auras 24 6.06%
Affinity 22 5.55%
Burn 15 3.78%
Scapeshift 14 3.53%
Living End 14 3.53%
Storm 12 3.03%
WUR Control 10 2.52%
Kiki Pod 10 2.52%
Merfolk 8 2.02%
Blue Moon 8 2.02%
Tron 8 2.02%
Infect 7 1.76%
Faeries 6 1.51%
Amulet 5 1.26%
W/U Control 5 1.26%
Other 30 7.57%

JerryLee posted:

There's a surprising amount of relevant stuff with 4 toughness--archangel of thune, restoration angel, deceiver exarch. I realize I just named 3 cards where you often don't get a main phase before they grow and/or kill you somehow, but it seems like it's relevant against them more times than you might think, or at least forces the other player to play differently.
Oh yeah that's a good point. The only way it seems his deck will lose is someone putting a big creature down that he can't deal with using Anger of the Gods.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

So, looks like the GP is going to be mostly Pod, Twin, and Zoo if people parrot the pro-tour lists. Burn is looking, uh, pretty poorly positioned for me.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

So, looks like the GP is going to be mostly Pod, Twin, and Zoo if people parrot the pro-tour lists. Burn is looking, uh, pretty poorly positioned for me.

I liked Conley Wood's Pod deck tech. Knight of the Reliquary for Bojuka Bog...

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

According to Twitter there's a team of people running DredgeVine. I guess they're inside the 'other' category?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Sam Black is apparently 2-4. Whatever brew he brought seems to not be working. :rant:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I bet all those people are feeling great about their $80 Bitterblossoms now

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Korak posted:

Sam Black is apparently 2-4. Whatever brew he brought seems to not be working. :rant:

Keep in mind half of that record is Draft. He may be 2-1 in constructed and have drafted poorly. Check on that before ranting too much I guess.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So much Blood Mooning going on today.

Blood Moon into Empty the Warrens for 4 tokens, whatcha gonna do?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

So much Blood Mooning going on today.

Blood Moon into Empty the Warrens for 4 tokens, whatcha gonna do?

Bolt two tokens and then die.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Team Channel Fireball(not the pantheon group) might be on Scapeshift? They really need to post decks on day one instead of waiting till Sunday. Everyone there playing knows who is playing what from people scouting. There's no real advantage.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Keep in mind half of that record is Draft. He may be 2-1 in constructed and have drafted poorly. Check on that before ranting too much I guess.

1-2 in draft (see Round 3 standings), so 1-2 in constructed as well.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Where are you guys seeing records/standings?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
God drat that was an epic turn on Finkel's part. I saw the line the previous turn (not that it was un-obvious) and was just waiting for it to happen :allears:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
18 1/1 Goblins vs World Champion Zoo? :supaburn:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ScarletBrother posted:

Where are you guys seeing records/standings?

Daily MTG, PT coverage page, scroll down and click the numbers in the info box on the right
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptbng14/welcome

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!

Korak posted:

18 1/1 Goblins vs World Champion Zoo? :supaburn:

I'm already half way to a storm deck, was so awesome to watch happen. Storm seems pretty good in the current meta, hoping to see it go far.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
if you want storm and don't have past in flames and pyromancer ascension buy soon. past in flames has 24 listings on tcgplayer, 10 on ebay, 6 copies on scg, sold out on cfb.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If Storm goes far they'll just ban another piece. They've previously banned pieces (Rite of Flame) despite the deck posting no results, just because it still existed.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Also this Amulet of Vigor deck looks really entertaining and making use of the bounce lands.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Has storm been winning on turn 2 or 3? If it's winning too early then yeah, they're going to ban another piece.

Also amulet of vigor deck is running hive mind combo just in case they need to win without a 8 power double-striking prime time. This deck is great.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

HIVE MIND SLAUGHTER PACT NEGATION PACT GO.

:aaaaa:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Kabanaw posted:

Has storm been winning on turn 2 or 3? If it's winning too early then yeah, they're going to ban another piece.

Finkel says Turn 3 is 20% of the time.

Storm wasn't winning Turn 2 and only occasionally turn 3 with Rite of Flame and they still banned it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I've seen Amulet of Vigor combo played online a bit, its a really fun deck but always seems like it is missing something. Also hilariously bad to Blood Moon which so far has been the MVP of this tournament. Haven't seen this Hive Mind tech, maybe that's what it was missing?

quote:

Phillip Sipe ‏@ChaosEvoker 1m

Am I the only one who feels awkward having the coverage team fawning over a known tier 2.5 combo deck as if it's new? #PTBNG
Sort of how I feel. It's a fun rewarding deck and Hunt is a professional at playing it but it's still just an Amulet of Vigor deck that folds to disruption? Disruption that all these Zoo decks don't have...

Korak fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 21, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Stinky Pit posted:

Finkel says Turn 3 is 20% of the time.

Storm wasn't winning Turn 2 and only occasionally turn 3 with Rite of Flame and they still banned it.

I think they would have probably banned another part of storm if they were afraid of its speed last year. Has anything in the deck list changed since PT Gatecrash?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Hive Mind is pretty old (at least a few months) tech. It's been posting regularly in the online events for some time.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Thank you, I'm only familiar with non-Hivemind Vigor decks.

Team Channel Fireball doing significantly better than Team Pantheon. :lol:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Korak posted:

Sort of how I feel. It's a fun rewarding deck and Hunt is a professional at playing it but it's still just an Amulet of Vigor deck that folds to disruption? Disruption that all these Zoo decks don't have...

Its for new players, coverage isn't just for the likes of you or me, its also an advertisement for the game. A significant portion of the coverage audience wouldn't know a thing about the Amulet of Vigor deck.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 21, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Korak posted:

Team Channel Fireball doing significantly better than Team Pantheon. :lol:

Please call Team Pantheon by its appropriate names, which are either Team ExCG or City of Traitors.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I am dumb and don't watch many PTs, when do they post full decklists?

Also sidequestion: how long does it take online sellers on average to spike card prices from these decks? My LGS uses SSG for their pricing, so if their delay is ~2 days I might be able to snag some cards shooting up for cheaper than they're about to be.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

If Storm goes far they'll just ban another piece. They've previously banned pieces (Rite of Flame) despite the deck posting no results, just because it still existed.

they banned pieces because it was a t2-3 deck. now its a t3-4 deck. Finkle's estimate is 25% of the time you can go t3. It falls in that curve they're comfortable with the format I think.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mortimer posted:

I am dumb and don't watch many PTs, when do they post full decklists?

Also sidequestion: how long does it take online sellers on average to spike card prices from these decks? My LGS uses SSG for their pricing, so if their delay is ~2 days I might be able to snag some cards shooting up for cheaper than they're about to be.
Cards are already spiking. Speculators jump on the hype quickly, but if you feel *you* want to play a deck go for it. If you're trying to flip the cards for a profit? It's possible by the time you resell you will have lost money. As always it's a personal risk thing.

They post deck lists unfortunately on Sunday.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Team TCGPlayer doing extremely well. Corvese, Fennell, Shrout, Wescoe all 5-1. If they're following Woods' deck tech then they're on Melira Pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Korak posted:

Team TCGPlayer doing extremely well. Corvese, Fennell, Shrout, Wescoe all 5-1. If they're following Woods' deck tech then they're on Melira Pod.

If the Conley Woods deck tech is what the whole team is on, it's pretty spicy.

• Locked thread