Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You certainly understand how it would read as one by default, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

You certainly understand how it would read as one by default, though, right?

No, because the crime report mentions the duchess.

If he were a rapist, the name of the crime would be, like, anything else???

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lager posted:

Why is it annoying that people might not go, "Ha ha ha! Rape joke! Wonderful!" It was a pretty dumb joke to put in the trailer. It doesn't stop me from being hilariously excited for the movie, but I can definitely understand people being put off by the joke even though it was just a piece of text that had zero attention drawn to it.

Whizbang posted:

It's not a rape joke, go back to tumblr.

And here

we

GO

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pyronic posted:

Apparently some people were getting upset about Peter Quill being listed as having comitted a sex crime in his rap sheet in the trailer, the director, James Gunn responded on facebook:

Getting arrested for being taken advantage of by a space cougar :allears:

That's our Starlord ...cue laugh track...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PupsOfWar posted:

my guess was that Gramosians are some kind of odd non-anthropoid, possibly-inanimate critters and Quill accidentally manhandled one somehow, mistaking it for a rock or something. Thus "manipulation" being a literal "picked up and moved".

That's the way I took it. Hell I googled Gramosian thinking they were some kind of android race. They're just some throw away space race that doesn't get much play in the MU according to Wiki.

---------------------------

Moving from Rape to Racism, I'm willing to bet we'll get a scene in FF where Reed is eyeballing Sue from a distance, and Johnny walks up to him with a

"Hey man, why are you staring at my sister?"
I'm not staring at your sister! I'm checking out that hot white chick!"
"Yeah. That's my sister."
*Wah-Wah*

The best case scenario would be if no one mentions it at all.

What will happen instead is the only person who brings it up will be Doom, so he's not only a mass murdering fuckhead with delusions of grandeur, but he's also racist.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Make it like Chicken Boo where Doom keeps trying to question it but everyone sees no issue it at all.

:doom: "Doom is not racist, but..."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Illegal manipulation sounds more like kinky poo poo like putting her legs over her head, folding her into a pretzel and there being obscenity laws. If this was the 80s people would probably go "Haw! He's a kinky suave devil who can get into the pants of royalty!" but today on the internet I guess some troll went off on it being rape or something and retardation took hold.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

Illegal manipulation sounds more like kinky poo poo like putting her legs over her head, folding her into a pretzel and there being obscenity laws. If this was the 80s people would probably go "Haw! He's a kinky suave devil who can get into the pants of royalty!" but today on the internet I guess some troll went off on it being rape or something and retardation took hold.

It is stupid but has nothing on the FF casting news.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gatts posted:

Illegal manipulation is leaving a door with a "Keep door closed" sign open.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Lager posted:

Why is it annoying that people might not go, "Ha ha ha! Rape joke! Wonderful!" It was a pretty dumb joke to put in the trailer.

Because in the trailer for a fun, comedic, sci-fi adventure movie produced by Disney, common sense would dictate that a joke about sex is probably not a god drat rape joke. Especially with a charming and likable, Han Solo-ish character being the focus of the joke.

That said, the less companies cater to people who react without using their brains the better.

EDIT: In non-'not-rapey' joke discussion, the effects test closeups of Rocket are amazing. Special effects just keep getting better and better.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 21, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I'm fine with Gunn's explanation and I don't think that he intended it to be anything particularly creepy, but it can read that way without context and I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that anyone reacting to the words "sex crime" is some kind of oversensitive tumblr nut. Especially with Gunn has been shown to have some poor taste in the past when it comes to jokes on gender, sexual orientation, etc. My earlier post was mostly reacting to DFu4ever's word choice in calling it annoying that people were questioning it. In all honesty, it's not a smart joke to put in the trailer. If it's something we see in the movie and then it gets a subtle callback in that scene, that's totally different than just having it up there with no context whatsoever as part of the introduction to the film for people who have no previous interest, investment or knowledge of these characters.

And yet, as stated, I'm still more excited for this movie than any other superhero films in the works right now so it's obviously not a deal breaker as it stands, or even something I would've thought was worth talking about any further beyond Gunn's explanation had it not been for the comments I was responding to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lager posted:

I'm fine with Gunn's explanation and I don't think that he intended it to be anything particularly creepy, but it can read that way without context and I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that anyone reacting to the words "sex crime" is some kind of oversensitive tumblr nut. Especially with Gunn has been shown to have some poor taste in the past when it comes to jokes on gender, sexual orientation, etc. My earlier post was mostly reacting to DFu4ever's word choice in calling it annoying that people were questioning it. In all honesty, it's not a smart joke to put in the trailer. If it's something we see in the movie and then it gets a subtle callback in that scene, that's totally different than just having it up there with no context whatsoever as part of the introduction to the film for people who have no previous interest, investment or knowledge of these characters.

And yet, as stated, I'm still more excited for this movie than any other superhero films in the works right now so it's obviously not a deal breaker as it stands, or even something I would've thought was worth talking about any further beyond Gunn's explanation had it not been for the comments I was responding to.

That scene might have more context in the movie, but its perfect for introducing the characters. Its putting names to faces.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

That scene might have more context in the movie, but its perfect for introducing the characters. Its putting names to faces.

The scene itself is great for the trailer, yes, like I said I'm just talking about that text joke. Which would've been really easy to not have show up in the trailer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lager posted:

The scene itself is great for the trailer, yes, like I said I'm just talking about that text joke. Which would've been really easy to not have show up in the trailer.

Except that "people getting upset on Tumblr" is not a consequence for Marvel or the property? In fact, since there's a benign explanation, it likely just got more people talking about the film?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also its a little text joke that you have to look for. It is not like its something that was right there.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I find it kinda weird some people jumped to sexual assault when a rougeish guy sexing royalty and getting in trouble for it is such an old and established trope.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

I find it kinda weird some people jumped to sexual assault when a rougeish guy sexing royalty and getting in trouble for it is such an old and established trope.

So Space Stabler will not be investigating?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Except that "people getting upset on Tumblr" is not a consequence for Marvel or the property? In fact, since there's a benign explanation, it likely just got more people talking about the film?

I think you're overestimating how outraged I am about the whole thing - the answer to which is very little. I'm more annoyed at DFu4ever's assertion that anyone who could possibly be offended is annoying and such, because I'm just generally tired of that sort of thing. So yeah, it's not a huge obvious joke, it's not a huge deal, but it is something that I can see people being uncomfortable with and the studio probably should've thought about not putting it in the trailer. Gunn's explanation is fine, and I'm not personally all that concerned with anything but the previous comments in the thread which irritated me.

SirDan3k posted:

I would imagine it's mostly because of the actual wording of "sex crime." I think it's pretty easy to imagine people being uncomfortable with that term being applied to the hero of the film to whom they have no previous knowledge or attachment.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SirDan3k posted:

No, you don't understand, when Leia told hand she loved him and he said I know he was being a cheuvanist pig and represented the patricharchatnhadhnah

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

So Space Stabler will not be investigating?

I am positive whoever is investigating has a handlebar mustache with mutton chops and employs the phrase "Seize him!" alot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

I am positive whoever is investigating has a handlebar mustache with mutton chops and employs the phrase "Seize him!" alot.

But John C. Reilly is already a member of the Nova Corps?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I just like seeing "go back to tumblr" as a sick burn like SA is the bastion of all that is wise and measured on the internet and goons never overreact to stupid poo poo

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Electromax posted:

I just like seeing "go back to tumblr" as a sick burn like SA is the bastion of all that is wise and measured on the internet and goons never overreact to stupid poo poo

Right. Same.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Electromax posted:

I'm so internet sheltered (or so drat busy that I don't really venture outside of the familiar when I actually get the time to sit down for some internetting) that I don't even know what Tumblr is outside of seeing it referenced on SA, but I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that was kind of funny.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Electromax posted:

It's the type of dumb thing that is being reacted to. Nobody gets told to go back to tumblr because they're upset that Thor wasn't the alter ego of Donald Blake, it's basically reserved for Social Justice Warriors.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Black Widow is finally, finally getting a solo film.

This announcement sure would have been cool if it hadn't come several years after it should have, directly after the announcement of a Wonder Woman film.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah go back to Tumblr.

So what if there's a dumb joke in the trailer that means Starlord is a sex criminal. So what if James Gunn used to make yearly lists of which superhero he wanted to gently caress in graphic detail (except ew the gays) until he got a Marvel film and had to remove them and apologise. So what.

HorseRenoir posted:

Black Widow is finally, finally getting a solo film.

This announcement sure would have been cool if it hadn't come several years after it should have, directly after the announcement of a Wonder Woman film.

Unfortunately this is the same article going around as a few weeks back and is basically Marvel is saying they are making a Black Widow film but with no cast and no date and them booked up until at least 2017 it ain't happening.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

So what if James Gunn used to make yearly lists of which superhero he wanted to gently caress in graphic detail (except ew the gays) until he got a Marvel film and had to remove them and apologise. So what.

God drat why did you have to remind me of that :negative:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Because some people didn't even know about it in the first place.

Like me.

Therefore, :stare:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Electromax posted:

So does this mean when people act like raging "ironic" bigots we can tell them to "go back to Reddit"?

:haw:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also, Super, while I love that movie, has multiple really gross-out deviant sex jokes in it, plus a "funny" rape scene done by Ellen Page no less.

I don't really care about this specific case, but I suppose we should be happy if the duchess joke is the worst thing we get from a dude who used to work for loving Troma.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I find it funny some people are so eager to jump to the defense of the movie that they over react to any question about it at all.

A few people notice a text pop up saying the main character of the film is a sex criminal and say "wtf?" They are obviously SJW(OH NO, not social justice!) and it couldn't have possibly been maybe not the best idea to throw something like that in there with no context!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Local news says the Fantastic Four movie is going to be filming in studios about two blocks down the road from me. I'll keep you guys posted if I run into Jordan or Mara at the local Subway.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

greatn posted:

I find it funny some people are so eager to jump to the defense of the movie that they over react to any question about it at all.

A few people notice a text pop up saying the main character of the film is a sex criminal and say "wtf?" They are obviously SJW(OH NO, not social justice!) and it couldn't have possibly been maybe not the best idea to throw something like that in there with no context!

I just thought it meant Starlord likes to hang out with Fraction and Zdarsky.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

fatherboxx posted:

To be honest I'm surprised how quickly people forgot about it but then again a CGI raccoon with a gun.

Hakkesshu posted:

Also, Super, while I love that movie, has multiple really gross-out deviant sex jokes in it, plus a "funny" rape scene done by Ellen Page no less.

I don't really care about this specific case, but I suppose we should be happy if the duchess joke is the worst thing we get from a dude who used to work for loving Troma.

Which to be honest is the point. Gunn is coming from a very specific background. I liked Super and I love Troma films and their humor but it's not for everybody and stuff like that may either upset or just not be for different people. It doesn't mean people are crazy SJW that hate everything or that questioning or discussing things is crazy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah go back to Tumblr.

So what if there's a dumb joke in the trailer that means Starlord is a sex criminal. So what if James Gunn used to make yearly lists of which superhero he wanted to gently caress in graphic detail (except ew the gays) until he got a Marvel film and had to remove them and apologise. So what.

Unfortunately this is the same article going around as a few weeks back and is basically Marvel is saying they are making a Black Widow film but with no cast and no date and them booked up until at least 2017 it ain't happening.

2017 is 3 years away champ. That's about how long it takes to staff and write a movie. It makes perfect sense to announce working on one now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah go back to Tumblr.

I don't think a straight guy not having graphic sex dreams about other men is that crazy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think a straight guy not having graphic sex dreams about other men is that crazy.

James Gunn posted:

My girlfriend voted for this Cajun fruit. I think she’s looking to have a devil’s three way with the two of us. The idea of my balls slapping against Gambit’s makes me sick to my stomach, but I can’t deny the fellow’s pure HEAT.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I feel like it is not homophobic for a heterosexual man to not wish to do gay stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dexo posted:

2017 is 3 years away champ. That's about how long it takes to staff and write a movie. It makes perfect sense to announce working on one now.

My point was they've announced working on a Black Widow film since Cap 1 now and nothing has happened so I wouldn't think anything about it until a director or that is announced.

Aphrodite posted:

It was more the comments. He's deleted them all but here's the example piece from a quick google search.

quote:

“for those men that love rude bitches, [emma frost] the white queen is the way”
[on natasha romanoff, the highest ~debut] “considering she’s hosed half the guys in the marvel universe, that’s quite a feat”
[on elektra] she’ll “give you a nice, ninja-trained blow job”
[on black canary] “i used to think she was the hottest chick in the dcu, but then i remembered that she fucks green arrow”
[on dazzler] “a friggin’ great vagina”
[on kitty pryde] “i want to anally do her”
[on choice of art for jade] “i picked the one with the big tits”
[on batwoman] “i’m hoping for a dc-marvel crossover so that tony stark can turn her; she could also have sex with nightwing and still be a lesbian”
calls tigra ‘easy’ for no discernible reason along with calling stephanie brown that because she’s a single mother
says that he’ll blow a load onto jessica jones’[sic: drew's] face so he doesn’t have to look at her
This same article also includes such charmingly puerile humor as calling Gambit a “Cajun fruit” and sharing his vivid imaginings of “my balls slapping against Gambit’s” which, he immediately points out, “makes me sick to my stomach,” just so you don’t get the wrong idea.

He goes on to make fun of Dr. Manhattan’s penis size, and then, ”Many of the people who voted for the Flash were gay men. I have no idea why this is. But I do know if I was going to get hosed in the butt I too would want it to be by someone who would get it over with quick.”

• Locked thread