Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

HonkyDong posted:

Watch Blue, White and Red.

Sure- any suggestions on how I can see it? I'd rather not have to purchase three movies, especially if I don't know whether I'll like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Blue and Red are on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKRfljqbSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wFf9k1uCg

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
Yojimbo- I really enjoyed this film. You honestly can't go wrong with this the set up of "good-guy walks into a town run by gamblers and thugs." I mostly enjoyed the big guy who shows up with an over sized hammer(That's how you knew he meant business!). One scene I enjoyed the most was the escape from captivity scene, I was on edge the entire time.
I didn't care much for the gun-slinger. The loving faces he kept making killed the mood for me.

/5

HonkyDong posted:

1. Inception (2010)
This movie was good even with the hype. Get in here. :bandwagon:

1.The Road: I feel like this movie is going to get really depressing really quick, so I never feel like watching it.
2.New!Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker: I'm big Batman fan, but I have over looked a few of the animated movies. I always feared that they wouldn't be nearly as good as the show and comics.
3.Day of the Dead: I've seen countless clips, reviews, and highlights from this film, but never seen the film its self.
4.Ben-Hur: I...have no excuse.
5.Lawrence of Arabia: I've been told this movie has a rather slow pace, and that scares me about it.
6.Fist of Fury a.k.aThe Chinese Connection: I really enjoy Bruce Lee and martial art films, but this one has been under my radar for some reason...
7.The Raid: Redemption: I've been told this movie is an explosion of awesome action and bad acting. It sounds like it could be awesome...but it also sounds like it could be bad...So I never got around to watching it.
8.New!A Boy and his Dog: I've heard about this movie, but I'm not sure if it is something I'll enjoy. It sounds awesome, but in my opinion
9.New!Looper: This movie came and went and I missed it. I knew about it, just new sat down and watched it.

Watched: Yojimbo

:iiam:

RushJet fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 11, 2014

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

RushJet posted:

I didn't care much for the gun-slinger. The loving faces he kept making killed the mood for me.

Tatsuya Nakadai is always the best part of any movie he's in. :colbert:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Franz von Dada posted:

Yeah, seriously, I enjoyed the hell out of him. He really convinced me to hate his guts which is not something that comes easy to me when watching movies.

He was just so drat happy to have a gun when no one else did.

Anyway, it's funny cause Yojimbo was the first movie I watched in this thread... nearly three years ago... holy crap.

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!

Franz von Dada posted:

Chili posted:

Yeah, seriously, I enjoyed the hell out of him. He really convinced me to hate his guts which is not something that comes easy to me when watching movies.

To be clear, I didn't hate the actor. After two scenes with that character, it became clear to me that I was meant to like this person, and I didn't. But seriously though, those faces he made. I couldn't take him seriously at some points...and then he would shoot someone and the laughter would stop.

There was also a brief moment at the end when I thought he was really going to shoot the ronin when he was given his gun back which lead to a very entertaining and nail biting stand-off.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
RushJet- Go with Day of the Dead

The Trial isn't something I could really get into. It would be a good double feature with Brazil. There is a lot going on this film and I'm sure people have written pages of analysis on it, unfortunately I'm not one of those people.

1. The Pianist - Been on my watchlist for years.
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - David Bowie yo
4. Viridiana - Now that I have had a taste for Bunuel, I want more.
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Man Bites Dog - Heard the title on several occasions and the summary sounds interesting enough.
7. Touch of Evil - This is an actual shameful one.
8. The Wild Bunch - I'm only half way thru AFI's top 10 westerns.
9. Paris, Texas-
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 12, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dr.Caligari posted:

8. The Wild Bunch - I'm only half way thru AFI's top 10 westerns.

Enjoy.

---

Aguirre: Wrath of God

This was my first real exposure to Werner Herzog. What's immediately striking is his style, which is surprisingly matter-of-fact. Aguirre is a very emotional film, but Herzog never intrudes with the camera. He is content to keep his distance and simply observe. At times this feels more like a documentary than a feature film; even the fights against the natives are oddly devoid of pathos. A lot of scenes focus on the characters just sitting around doing nothing, which leads to some slight lengths, especially in the first half, but does a great job portraying the general mood of the explorers and their slow descent into madness. Aguirre is a horror film without any of the common genre conventions, a work that is terrifying precisely because of the cold and factual way it is filmed.

A lot of this is due to Klaus Kinki's performance. His Aguirre is a quiet schemer whose madness only manifests in random outbursts, but even in his somber moments you get the impression that he might snap at any point. It's amazing how much emotion Kinski conveys by simply looking at the camera. Though I have to admit, it did take me a while to adjust to the fact that the lip movement doesn't exactly match the dialogue in the German dub.

The cinematography is equally impressive. The opening shots of the expedition slowly making their way down the mountains look great and there's a lot of beautiful images of the rainforest. At times I feel this could have benefitted from being a widescreen production, but on the other hand the 4:3 format nicely conveys how cramped living on the boat must have been. Either way, I very much enjoyed the juxtaposition between the beautiful landscape and the human ugliness. Aguirre is a work that shows humanity at its worst, but never in an exploitative way. There's a sense of earnestness to the film that makes it work.

For those of you with more knowledge of Werner Herzog, where should I go next? His style is intriguing and I'd like to see more of his work.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. Stagecoach (1939) - Orson Welles called this the perfect textbook of film making, and I'm not going to argue with Orson loving Welles.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

6. 1776 (1972) - I'm not American, but I do enjoy a good musical.

7. (new) Scarface (1932) - I know the remake, but I've never seen the 1932 version.

8. City Lights (1931) - One of the few Chaplins I haven't seen yet.

9. Tangled (2010) - Frozen was one of my personal favourites from 2013 and this one is supposedly quite similar.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!

Samuel Clemens posted:

9. Tangled (2010) - Frozen was one of my personal favourites from 2013 and this one is supposedly quite similar.

It's a good one.

Day of the Dead- This movie was fantastic. I really enjoyed the underground setting, and the focus on how hosed up the situation had already gotten by the time the film starts. At first I felt like Richard Liberty and Joseph Pilato were carrying the rest of the cast, but as the film went on that became untrue. I really enjoyed that each character had their 'moment in the sun' through out the film, and it really made the whole thing much more believable. I was also surprised how sad this whole film felt, especially for a Romero film. 5/5

1.The Road: I feel like this movie is going to get really depressing really quick, so I never feel like watching it.
2.Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker: I'm big Batman fan, but I have over looked a few of the animated movies. I always feared that they wouldn't be nearly as good as the show and comics.
3. Searching for new title...
4.Ben-Hur: I...have no excuse.
5.Lawrence of Arabia: I've been told this movie has a rather slow pace, and that scares me about it.
6.Fist of Fury a.k.aThe Chinese Connection: I really enjoy Bruce Lee and martial art films, but this one has been under my radar for some reason...
7.The Raid: Redemption: I've been told this movie is an explosion of awesome action and bad acting. It sounds like it could be awesome...but it also sounds like it could be bad...So I never got around to watching it.
8.A Boy and his Dog: I've heard about this movie, but I'm not sure if it is something I'll enjoy. It sounds awesome, but in my opinion
9.Looper: This movie came and went and I missed it. I knew about it, just new sat down and watched it.

Watched: Yojimbo, Day of the Dead

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Samuel Clemens posted:

For those of you with more knowledge of Werner Herzog, where should I go next? His style is intriguing and I'd like to see more of his work.

Check out The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RushJet posted:

Try this next.

Embers - I recently watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) and thought it was basically soulless. This film was quite the contrast as it was full of life and soul. It really has it all as it traverses all kinds of genres with ease. It's a big feat to avoid having the whole thing crumble like a giant house of cards.

I think the two films I was most reminded of were Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Jai and Veeru fit those roles) and Once Upon a Time in the West had a similar revenge scenario.

The story is compelling and there's plenty of impressive action. I won't go into detail because it's so long but it has at least three clever surprises I didn't see coming. If it has any fault it's a little heavy-handed, silly and repetitive at times. Also, I wish the music segments had subtitles but that's a common omission for some reason.

Also watched:

Sophie's Choice - Set in the 1947 Brooklyn it focuses on an interesting trio comprised of Sophie (Meryl Streep), Nathan (Kevin Kline) and Stingo (Peter MacNicol). Nathan is a volatile and unstable person and we later learn that he's a paranoid schizophrenic who's been lying about his career. Sophie is a holocaust survivor holding secrets and the story is told by Stingo a nascent writer.

If this was told chronologically it would've lost something. Having a few extended flashbacks showing what actually happened to Sophie (and how she'd been creating lies as a coping mechanism) built some mystery.

The Unvanquished - I saw the first film over three years ago but it's stuck with me. This one followed the same pattern of having more tragedy as both of Apu's parents die in unrelated events (after his sister died in the first film).

The goings-on in this felt very casual, calm and ordinary for the most part. Many scenes focus on Apu's simple interactions with the townsfolk. We eventually jump forward a few years as Apu goes away to school due to being a good local student. One thing that's stuck out in both films is the very desolate places the family lives in. The stone structures are crumbling and seem to be hundreds of years old.

Through two films I think a comparison could be drawn to Fanny and Alexander which also has its fair share of good and bad times.

Procrastination (108 completed):

#100 Departures - A newer entrant to the IMDb top 250. 12/17/13

#106 The Lady Eve - Another that's been on my radar for a few years now. 1/25/14

#109 Man with a Movie Camera - Heard good things about this. 1/29/14

#110 The Word AKA Ordet - It's high on the TSPDT list. 1/29/14

#112 Before Midnight - The third film. I wonder what part four will be titled. 2/9/14

#114 Late Spring - Ranked highly on many lists. 2/9/14

new #115 Balthazar, At Random AKA Au Hasard Balthazar - Not your typical premise unless this turns out like that Mister Ed TV show. 2/13/14

new #116 Traffic - I remember this getting a lot of hype when it came out but I forgot about watching it. 2/13/14

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (35/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

new 1981 My Dinner with Andre - It sounds like something different. 2/13/14

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
This seems like a fun way to get myself to watch more good movies.

Zogo posted:

new #115 Balthazar, At Random AKA Au Hasard Balthazar - Not your typical premise unless this turns out like that Mister Ed TV show. 2/13/14

Go watch that donkey movie.

--

The Virgin Spring: I don't think I've ever seen a Bergman film so I'm copying this suggestion from earlier in the thread. I know the subject matter but I still think I'd rather watch this than a few of his other films I know about.
The Third Man: I've heard it's a good movie! I seriously don't know anything else.
Umbrellas of Cherbourg: Musicals slot! I like old French films and what I know about the tone and themes makes it sound like it'd be good for me to give a chance.
Breathless: Band of Outsiders might be my favorite movie so I don't know why I haven't watched this yet.
Citizen Kane: I don't really care about the film one way or the other. This is simply me admitting that I've never seen Citizen Kane.
The Oxbow Incident: My dad loves westerns and gave me a few suggestions. I'm trying to make my way through them but I can't do genre binges.
The Man Who Would Be King: I tried to watch this a few years back and didn't make it very far. Everyone I've told this to who knows the movie is shocked that I didn't love it. I'm down to give it another shot if the internet tells me to.
Vertigo: I think this is the only major Hitchcock I've never seen. We watched basically all of his major (and some minor) Hollywood stuff growing up but my mom never really liked this one so it passed me by.
Cool Hand Luke: I don't know much about this besides Paul Newman's in prison and there are shenanigans. I like both Newman and shenanigans.
Eyes Without a Face: Horror slot! I've seen a ton of horror and I don't much like it anymore. However I've always heard good things about this film and I know there are a few legitimate corners of the genre I can poke my nose into without feeling gross about what I'm doing with my life.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Gotta Wear Shades, that is just bad parenting. Watch Vertigo.

The Apartment was wonderful and probably the perfect choice to watch on Valentine's Day. It's a gentler Wilder than what I'm used to, but of course it's still very much him (a 60s comedy where suicide is one of the central plot points, and even played for laughs). I never get tired of Jack Lemmon, and I'm just finally seeing young Shirley MacLaine for the first time. I just watched The Trouble With Harry the other day and holy poo poo, I never realized how much charm that woman has.

My List:

The Lady Eve (1941) - I picked up the book "Cinematic Mythmaking" by Irving Singer because it looked really good. However, the essays in it tend to focus on single films and this is one of them. I'd like to go through a few of them before I crack into the book. (Added 7/31/2013)

The Beaver Trilogy (2001) - We were supposed to show this at the theater I work at with the director in person, but it got cancelled for whatever reason. Anyway, since finding out about it my interest is peaked. Technically three films in one. (Added 12/17/2013)

Black Jesus (1968) - But what about Black Santa? :haw: (Added 12/17/2013)

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Grey Gardens (1975) - Everything I've heard about this makes it sound absolutely insane. Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite documentaries so I should see some more stuff by the Maysles. (Added 12/24/2013)

Hell's Angels (1930) - Been wanting to watch this ever since I saw The Aviator. The images from this looked amazing in that film, and this was apparently one of Kubrick's personal favorites. (Added 1/1/2014)

Fort Apache (1948) - The first in John Ford's Calvary trilogy. (Added 1/2/2014)

All About Eve (1950) - This Eve sure is a popular one, eh? (Added 2/4/2014)

King Boxer: Five Fingers of Death (1972) - Getting more into classic Kung Fu. Also, this is apparently one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies. (Added 2/7/2014)

Night and Fog (1955) - Time to feel sad. (Added 2/14/2014)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten; The Goddess; The Apartment (TOTAL: 78)

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
I want to play! I'll work off the IMDB top 250 for now, maybe I'll stick some others into the list as they come. I'm fed up of listening to Doug Loves Movies and not being able to play along!

TrixRabbi you get to watch Hell's Angels.

Let's do this!

The Empire Strikes Back - I never really got into Star Wars. I've seen A New Hope and episodes 1 and 2, maybe that's what put me off?

City of God

Se7en - Seen plenty of references, never seen the film.

It's a Wonderful Life - See above.

Modern Times - In fact, I haven't seen any Charlie Chaplin films.

Metropolis - A break from the IMDB list, but I started watching this, noticed how long it was, and was lulled into sleep. I liked what I saw though!

Citizen Kane - I've seen The Third Man and loved it, so how about some more Orson Welles?

Das Boot - It's cropped up a few times in this thread, so here it is again.

Taxi Driver - I like my gangster films, so I've seen De Niro in some good stuff.

Oldboy - This is one I keep meaning to watch but never get round to it.

WizWoz fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 15, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sticking posted:

Citizen Kane - I've seen The Third Man and loved it, so how about some more Orson Welles?

I can wholeheartedly recommend anything on your list, but this one in particular is essential.

(Metropolis seriously isn't on IMDB's list of the 250 greatest movies?)

---

Tangled

This was a lot of fun and a nice change of pace after the depressing Aguirre. Some of Disney's fairy tale adaptations, most notably Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, suffer a bit from taking a very short story and trying to turn it into a feature presentation. The result is a film which has strong individual moments but doesn't quite work as a cohesive unit. Tangled avoids this problem by using the original tale of Rapunzel as a stepping stool for its own original story. The film retains enough elements of the Grimm version to be instantly recognizable, but still stands up well on its own. Tangled's plot isn't particularly intricate and lacks the satirical bent which characterized Enchanted or Frozen's clever way of playing with the audiences' expectations, but it's well told and the characters are all quite likeable in their own way.

Of course you can't talk about an animated film without mentioning the animation itself. The environments all look nice, but character animation is where the film really shines. So much is communicated purely through facial expressions or subtle body movements that I'm convinced you could watch Tangled without sound and still follow the story. The humour similarly relies a lot on characters making funny gestures and grimaces. It doesn't always work, but there's a lot more hits than misses and some of the more tepid jokes are saved by good voice acting.

There's only two minor misgivings I have about Tangled. One is the music. The songs fit in quite well, but apart from I've Got a Dream none of them stayed with me after the end. This might just be a case of misguided expectations though. A lot of people were hyping this as Disney's return to their output from the 90s, so I was expecting a more Broadway-styled sound with grand musical numbers, when most of the actual perfomances were fairly low-key. The other misgiving I have is that the success of this film somehow didn't lead to a spinoff TV show about Maximus the crime-fighting horse. Disney really dropped the ball on that one.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. Stagecoach (1939) - Orson Welles called this the perfect textbook of film making, and I'm not going to argue with Orson loving Welles.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

7. Scarface (1932) - I know the remake, but I've never seen the 1932 version.

9. (new) Wizards (1977) - Any Bakshi film really, but this one has the most interesting premise.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972), Tangled (2010)

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe

Samuel Clemens posted:

(Metropolis seriously isn't on IMDB's list of the 250 greatest movies?)

It is, it's just I was working from the top and Metropolis is a bit further down.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just watched this a couple weeks ago! You should watch it too, it's good times.

--

Vertigo

I don't know why my mom didn't like this movie.

It seems tailor-made for her. She loved Hitchcock, psychological thrillers, Jimmy Stewart, and San Francisco. She grew up in the Bay Area and referred to Golden Gate as her bridge. I grew up watching a good number of movies including, almost entirely at my mother's request, a large chunk of Hitchcock's Hollywood output. The first TV show I can remember watching as a child is Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

So I don't get why she never liked this really good movie. I can understand not liking parts of it and I don't know when I'll be willing to go through it again. The first hour, while vital and fundamental, is much less interesting to me than the second hour. If not for Barbara Bel Geddes (feature performer in my favorite AHP episode, Lamb to the Slaughter) I probably would have been bored with the movie by the time Stewart and Novak arrived at the Mission.

And then the second hour happens and it's amazing. I sometimes have problems with awkward comedy where the humor is derived from dragging out painful situations. But this, with awkward romance between crazy/twisted people? It's incredible. It's a dark, grinding feeling I got as Novak 2.0 realized what was going on and I was, well, maybe happy isn't the word for how I felt about it. However there's still occasionally a feeling of grim satisfaction when a well-made movie goes to bizarre, ugly places and doesn't play nice. A-

I also watched The Ox-Bow Incident but I'm going to drop my thoughts on that in the Rate the Latest Movie You Watched thread.

--

The Virgin Spring: I don't think I've ever seen a Bergman film so I'm copying this suggestion from earlier in the thread. I know the subject matter but I still think I'd rather watch this than a few of his other films I know about.
The Third Man: I've heard it's a good movie! I seriously don't know anything else.
Umbrellas of Cherbourg: Musicals slot! I like old French films and what I know about the tone and themes makes it sound like it'd be good for me to give a chance.
Breathless: Band of Outsiders might be my favorite movie so I don't know why I haven't watched this yet.
Citizen Kane: I don't really care about the film one way or the other. This is simply me admitting that I've never seen Citizen Kane.
Shane: Western slot! I know the final line of this movie as a pop culture reference and an MST3K joke. I'm guessing it's another western featuring a wandering ex-Confederate soldier.
The Man Who Would Be King: I tried to watch this a few years back and didn't make it very far. Everyone I've told this to who knows the movie is shocked that I didn't love it. I'm down to give it another shot if the internet tells me to.
The Big Sleep: Noir is a hazy, gray area for me. I've seen a few other Bogart movies and I like the cut of his jib.
Cool Hand Luke: I don't know much about this besides Paul Newman's in prison and there are shenanigans. I like both Newman and shenanigans.
Eyes Without a Face: Horror slot! I've seen a ton of horror and I don't much like it anymore. However I've always heard good things about this film and I know there are a few legitimate corners of the genre I can poke my nose into without feeling gross about what I'm doing with my life.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I watched this movie with my parents a long time ago. It was pretty interesting and I enjoyed it. The film drags on a little long though, but it's still entertaining.

--

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: I don't know why I never saw these movies. I watched the Hobbit, and it wasn't bad. I just never set aside time to watch it, I guess. Granted 9 hours with 10 hours after-commentary may be the only thing pushing me away.

Alien: I watched Aliens, I just never watched this movie. The one that started it all. It was never on TV at the right time.

Die Hard: My dad tried to get me to watch this movie (on TV) once. I refused because I thought any movie without Barney the Dinosaur was stupid. I was four.

The Shawshank Redemption: Everyone talks about this movie like it's the greatest movie ever. This and Armageddon, which I also haven't watched. 90% of these movies were before my time, so I just want to see what everyone was talking about.

Groundhog Day: I find it strange I never watched this movie, considering it takes place on my birthday. I find it strange I never watched this movie, considering it takes place on my birthday.

Batman Begins: I've seen the middle, I've seen the ending, I just haven't seen where it all began. I didn't watch it because I thought Batman was a bad superhero since he wasn't "super," but Christopher Nolan showed me I was an idiot in The Dark Knight.

Silence of the Lambs: I tried to watch this a few years back and didn't make it very far. People say it's the scariest movie ever, but I just can't get into it. I fall asleep five minutes in every time.

Pulp Fiction: Everyone quotes this movie. I quote this movie. Just never watched because again, I was like two when it came out, and I've only had four years to catch up on all these R-rated movies I've never seen.

Mad Max Trilogy: Thanks Trix Rabbi. Okay, so apparently only the second one is the post-apocolyptic movie car racing movie. If this is picked, I'll just watch all three movies.

The Big Lebowski: I heard about this movie for the first time in 2011. Some kind of comedy. That's all I know about it.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 17, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Just so you know, Mad Max is the first in the series and is this kind of pre-apocalyptic story with similarities to The Punisher's origin (it's been a while since I've seen it, trying to remember what happens). The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max 2) is the post-apocalyptic desert wasteland with crazy car chases that you're thinking of. But the first Mad Max is awesome too and is totally worth watching.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

And , as mentioned a few pages back, you should just plan on watching the whole Mad Max trilogy if you are new to all three movies.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Ravane posted:

Pulp Fiction: Everyone quotes this movie. I quote this movie. Just never watched because again, I was like two when it came out, and I've only had four years to catch up on all these R-rated movies I've never seen.

This is one awesome list of 10 films you have in front of you. For all the talk about Mad Max, I think Pulp Fiction is the one you need to see most. Enjoy it - I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time.

Ikiru
The sounds of Takashi Shimura singing 'Gondola no Uta' is something I'll never forget. While there were some unecessary on-the-nose lines of dialogue (it very well could just have been the subtitles) and some unusually high moments of melodrama, none of that is grand enough to take away from our central character Watanabe and his new outlook on life. This film reminds you how our time here is only as great as you make it, that death can come at any moment, and how our positive actions, in no time at all, can have a ripple effect all around us. Ikiru is truly an inspiring and life-affirming film! An instant favourite.

LIST

The Bride of Frankenstein (2014.02.03) - time to dig into my Universal Monsters set!

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Eastern Promises (2014.01.02) - a newer film and one I've been meaning to watch since it came out.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add now.

It Happened One Night (2014.01.05) - all I know is that it's the first movie to win all 5 big Oscar categories.

Jack Goes Boating **new** (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's death to make his only directorial effort a high priority.. talk about shameful!

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Player (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

The Taste of Cherry **oldest** (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), [Total:62]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

friendo55- There many good films on your list, but just cannot turn down a chance to recommend The Bride of Frankenstein. My daughter and I watch it almost every Halloween

I am not sure what to think of The Wild Bunch. After watching a couple John Wayne westerns before this, it seemed shocking! The train heist seemed to be a turning point, and when things started 'working' in this movie. This is definitely a movie I need to rewatch, as it seems there is so much going on it would take at least 2 viewings to absorb it all.

5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Man Bites Dog - Heard the title on several occasions and the summary sounds interesting enough.
8. Aliens - Thats right... I've never seen any Alien movie beside the first. :(
9. Paris, Texas-
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Try this next.

Balthazar, At Random - An unconventional look at a donkey who gets repeatedly beaten and abused mainly by a group of dull hoodlums led by Gérard. The donkey is conked on the head, whipped, lit on fire and is nearly euthanized a few times. The girl, Marie, shares many of the abuses as well.

There was a side story involving a conflict over land or some kind of money feud, maybe it was the subtitles but I didn't grasp it fully. The characters motivations and interactions are on the cursory and never seem fleshed out.

Eventually the donkey is turned into a saint before being shot. It appears to be smiling as it nears death but maybe that's just my projection.

Procrastination (109 completed):

#106 The Lady Eve - Another that's been on my radar for a few years now. 1/25/14

#109 Man with a Movie Camera - Heard good things about this. 1/29/14

#112 Before Midnight - The third film. I wonder what part four will be titled. 2/9/14

#116 Traffic - I remember this getting a lot of hype when it came out but I forgot about watching it. 2/13/14

new Star Trek: Nemesis - The tenth film and the last with TNG crew. 2/19/14

1981 My Dinner with Andre - It sounds like something different. 2/13/14

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
The Fly was very good. I was expecting an awful lot more camp than was present. Once the credits started and Cronenberg was shown as the director, I was really surprised. I had no idea he directed this. I kept watching with the delusion that his early stuff must have been campy and goofy.

No.

Not at all.

You've gotta respect a movie that takes itself so seriously. The premise is so completely bonkers but it never feels that way at all. Goldblum's acting sells this tragic story in a way I can't imagine many other actors could.

The transformation that we witness is presented masterfully, the makeup was perhaps the best I've ever seen.

It hurts me to think that if this movie were made in the past couple of years, no one would have thought to go practical with it. It would have been Goldblum in a mocap suit and we'd end up with something without any sense of grit at all.

Anyhow, the movie was great. I didn't have to pause it once for a break, it kept me very engaged.

My one minor: Brundle didn't seem to deserve what he got. Yeah, I know that in a horror film that doesn't need to be the case but this didn't really feel like a horror as much as it did a tragedy. Brundle didn't get punished because of his hubris or ambition, he got punished because he got a drunk based on an impulse that wasn't really developed or relevant to his character. It didn't feel to me like he wanted to rush his experiment, he just got drunk. It cheapened his downfall into something that just felt depressing rather than earned. Perhaps that's what the film was going for, but Brundle was a very likable and shy character. Taking a guy like that and putting him through such a shitshow just hurts a lot. If Brundle's downfall could have reflected a character flaw, I would have appreciated the film a lot more.

Either way, the film engaged me, got me emotional and kept my interest. It looked stunning and the acting and presentation were top notch.

Definitely my favorite Cronenberg movie now.

9/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. Time Bandits - Probably not one of the most important films to see, but it looks like a good time!

3. The Rules of the Game - I don't know what's wrong with me.

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. *NEW*Sherlock Jr. *NEW* - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Before Sunrise - Heard good things about the "before" trilogy, happy to start it up!

10. Pleasantville - I know it's in black and white and is some kind of period piece? I think? Seems like the less I know going in, the better.

86 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good take on it, but think about this: is someone who contracts cancer deserving of what they got?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Fly is such a powerful work that I get really sad even if it's merely mentioned in passing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

caiman posted:

Check out The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser.

I completely forgot to properly thank you for this post, so I'll do it now. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.

Chili posted:

2. Time Bandits - Probably not one of the most important films to see, but it looks like a good time!

Enjoy. You should also pick something for Zogo.

---

Stagecoach

When I think of the Western genre, the films that come immediately to mind are those of Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood. I haven't seen many of the classic studio Westerns and none made before 1950, so watching Stagecoach was an interesting experience. It features many of the expected genre conventions and you can see the influence it had on everything that followed, but in some ways it's also a very atypical Western. For one, it moves at quite a fast pace. I'm used to Westerns taking their time to unfold, using long takes to establish setting and mood and featuring frequent periods of tranquility interspersed with brief violence. Stagecoach is 'only' 90 minutes long and stars nine different characters, so it can be quite hectic at times. Compared to films like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or True Grit there's also less of a focus on the environments. Occasionally there are some nice shots of the landscape, but for the most part the camera sticks close to the actors. The first half of the film feels very much a social drama set in the Old West. The stagecoach itself is basically a microcosm of the US, with the protagonists representing the various social classes, who are at odds with each other but ultimately have to work together so they're not destroyed by an external threat. With World War 2 looming on the horizon, this comes across as remarkably prescient.

You can also see the influence of the Great Depression on the film. Instead of a lone hero riding into town and protecting the civilians we have a collective working towards a common goal. The most sympathetic characters are social outcasts, while the villain is a greedy banker who rambles about how government shouldn't interfere with businesses. And yet it's the government which ultimately saves our heroes. It's probably not a coincidence that one year later John Ford would do an adaptation of The Grapes of Wrath, as Stagecoach touches on many of the same basic themes.

Qualitywise there's not much to say; Stagecoach is unquestionably a masterpiece. It's impressive how the film sets up nine different characters without ever dragging on. There's very little actual exposition, yet by the end we still know a lot about these people through their interactions and their fate eventual fates affect us deeply. I'm still not entirely convinced John Wayne is a good actor, but everyone else's performance is strong enough to easily cover for him. Claire Trevor in particular is a delight, pulling off a wide range of emotions. Andy Devine and Thomas Mitchell provide some welcome comedic relief and Berton Churchill looks suitably grumpy in every shot. The chase scene near the end deserves a lot of praise as well. Not only is it incredibly tense and well-shot, but the stuntwork is phenomenal. The two stunts involving the stagecoach, a nameless apache being run over and Ringo jumping from horse to horse, are breathtaking.

There are some problems with the film. The portrayal of the Apaches as bloodthirsty savages who betray you at the first opportunity is incredibly racist. Thankfully their actual role is fairly minor and for the most part they only serve as a threat looming in the background. The other issue I had was the ending of Ringo's story. The chase scene really feels like the emotional climax of the film, so his confrontation with the three brothers didn't grip me as much as it should have. Even more so since I didn't have an emotional investment in Ringo's cause. I feel his character arc would have been stronger if he didn't go for revenge and instead decided to leave with Dallas, showing that he was ready to let go of the past. Still, that's a fairly minor gripe for what is otherwise an excellent film.

3. (new) Shane (1953) - Slowly making my way through the classic studio westerns.

7. Scarface (1932) - I know the remake, but I've never seen the 1932 version.

9. Wizards (1977) - Any Bakshi film really, but this one has the most interesting premise.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972), Tangled (2010), Stagecoach (1939)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Good take on it, but think about this: is someone who contracts cancer deserving of what they got?

Of course not, but this is a film and a work of fiction. All I'm saying is that the transformation would have been weightier if it were brought on by a flaw.

And you make a perfect point. Someone getting aimlessly struck with cancer is horrible and sad, and in reality, that's not a movie that anyone would want to watch.

Ultimately, we're just made to feel really really badly for Brundle. It hurts more than it teaches or tells a good story. To be clear, The Flu is still fantastic and it's a very powerful film.

I think the biggest problem I had was that he got drunk when he did the experiment. If he hadn't, his motivation would have been more pure and his hubris and eagerness would have been punished more-so than just the "whoops" moment of what caused the mishap.

Again, splitting hairs here, I really loved it, and perhaps even more today now that I've had some time to process the film fully, it was drat good.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh, and sorry Zogo, I had Before Midnight picked out for you but I must have pasted my review over it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chili posted:

Of course not, but this is a film and a work of fiction. All I'm saying is that the transformation would have been weightier if it were brought on by a flaw.

And you make a perfect point. Someone getting aimlessly struck with cancer is horrible and sad, and in reality, that's not a movie that anyone would want to watch.

Ultimately, we're just made to feel really really badly for Brundle. It hurts more than it teaches or tells a good story. To be clear, The Flu is still fantastic and it's a very powerful film.

Right, but that is the "horror" of "body horror". We are all trapped in vessels that can capriciously betray us. I think that's what elevates the film, Seth is not a hubristic mad scientist (he is, a bit, just like the also ridiculously named Stathis Borans is a total rear end in a top hat but heroically intervenes because he wants to save Ronnie's life) but a mortal who is both fascinated and frightened by something happening to him that he has no specific control over. It's much more poignant that he isn't a Victor Frankensteinesque megalomaniac.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The fact that his fate is tragic and undeserved is what makes The Fly so dramatically potent. If he somehow deserved what he got, the audience would be removed from his comeuppance, and it wouldn't be half as emotionally disturbing. There's not really a safe place for the audience to go, which neatly ties in with the body horror.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
That's totally fair. I guess the fact that it got me that rattled was probably a kudos to the film and the way it was done.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I loved Stagecoach (which I also watched on recommendation from this thread).

I also remember a humorous piece of trivia from this movie:

quote:

Asked why, in the climactic chase scene, the Indians didn't simply shoot the horses to stop the stagecoach, director John Ford replied, "Because that would have been the end of the movie."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
A question about The Fly - wasn't it supposed to be an analogy for AIDS?.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

A question about The Fly - wasn't it supposed to be an analogy for AIDS?.

Ebert addressed that in his review: http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/the-fly

Basically it seems like it was sort of coincidental, not necessarily allegorical or intentional.

Not totally sure though. It may have been more poignant due to the timing.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Surprising to me that this film is one of the few you haven't watched. Let's get this taken care of.

The Bride of Frankenstein
I am new to the world of Frankenstein; so much so that I didn't know Frankenstein was the doctor's name, rather than the monster's name. This 75-minute film was pretty drat great with wonderful effects and camerawork. Boris Karloff was fantastic as the Monster, along with many great supporting performances. You could clearly see german expressionism in it's sharp camera angles and looming shadows. Certain things you could nitpick if you wanted - the over-the-top chambermaid and the sudden burst of intelligence every so often from the Monster - but who cares. It all adds up to a great monster movie. I wanna see the original soon, along with the rest of the Universal Monsters set.

LIST

Amour **new** (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I need to see this!

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Eastern Promises (2014.01.02) - a newer film and one I've been meaning to watch since it came out.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add now.

It Happened One Night (2014.01.05) - all I know is that it's the first movie to win all 5 big Oscar categories.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. talk about shameful.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Player (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

The Taste of Cherry **oldest** (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), [Total:63]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 24, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Been on your list for a long time.

Before Midnight - Jesse and Celine got together and are now parents of twins. The main point of contention this time around is Jesse's son living across the world in Chicago while he's in Paris (and vacationing in Greece).

At a certain point the conversations between Jesse, Celine and the other couples became unrelenting, long-winded and suffocating. They're at the point of a relationship where familiarity starts breeding contempt. Like an old bickering couple they're realizing they can't go back in time, they can miss out on things and have regrets.

I liked the moments of biting humor and if they release a fourth one in 2022 I'll be ready for it.

This felt like the thesis statement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5pvE1rMR0

Also watched three others:

The Lady Eve - A wealthy ophiologist (snake studier) is swindled by a daughter/father team of scam artists who get money through poker, bunko and other games. Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck are the leads. He plays the gullible bookworm to her ravishing temptress. There's a lot of great dialogue that's unparalleled with modern films.

Early on there's a funny scene showing her sizing up (with the aid of her mirror)
other girls trying to finagle their way into a conversation but he's more interested in his snake books. She has a superior plan and starts a relationship with lots of twists, turns, revenge and eventually resolution.

The only character who goes through any change is Jean/Eve. Charles remains gullible right through the end.

Star Trek: Nemesis - The tenth film and the last for TNG crew. For followers of the show there's a lot of major events. Troi and Riker get married, Picard meets a younger clone of himself and Data is obliterated in a self-sacrificial explosion. I wouldn't have minded seeing a few more TNG films but they weren't selling well I guess.

As usual there's new aliens and technologies. Data finds a dopey predecessor of himself named B-4 on a planet. Likewise, Picard has the same experience.
It's another end of the world scenario where an enemy wants to blow up earth. Picard and Shinzon (the younger clone) battle it out and basically decimate their respective ships.

If I wasn't a casual fan of TOS and TNG I don't think I would've gotten much from any of these ten films. Now that I've seen all of them I think part four is the one I'd be most inclined to revisit. At times I feel like the films were somewhat constrained by the TV shows although I didn't like the 2009 film that much either.

PS Wil Wheaton had a two second appearance sitting at table.

Man with a Movie Camera - This is about as dizzyingly frenetic as they come and after thirty minutes I was ready for an intermission. After an hour I'd had enough as it was an information overload. Blink and you'll miss something as there's no intertitles either. At times it intersects with the Qatsi trilogy and Baraka but those films both had a much slower overall pace.

The subject matter is all over the place but a short list of things shown:

-The theater experience
-switch operators
-machines
-production
-crowds of people
-sports
-weddings
-funerals
-births

PS A lot of the footage comes from Kiev and Odessa and if you follow the news Kiev has been on fire recently.

Procrastination (112 completed):

#116 Traffic - I remember this getting a lot of hype when it came out but I forgot about watching it. 2/13/14

new 1980 The Black Stallion - Another equine film. 2/26/14

new 1978 An Unmarried Woman - I don't think I've ever read one word about this one. I've seen Jill Clayburgh before though. 2/26/14

new 1977 3 Women - This was on a lot of lists here at one point. 2/26/14

new 1976 Small Change - I haven't seen many Truffaut movies yet. 2/26/14

That's a Gerardo Valero review.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 27, 2014

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track

Zogo posted:

I saw this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Maybe you will too.

--

The Man Who Would Be King

I've never read the story this is based on so I don't know its tone. I feel that the movie, unless I'm trying too hard to impress on it an opinion I want it to have, is a weird but highly enjoyable and slightly exploitative look at the evils of colonialism.

I say exploitative because I think the movie clearly wants the audience to have a good time regardless of how the story ends. Caine and Connery's actions are those of people who think they're owed more by virtue of existing and look to take it from someone else. They single out a society that's far enough behind them technologically that they can use the talents they have to take control. The only way they get into the first city is because Billy Fish has been regaling the locals with the prowess of the white man for an unspecified (?) amount of time. When, eventually, they're exposed for what they are they're retaliated against violently and pay for their crimes. When outlined it sounds like a story that purposefully follows dastardly men down the path of their own destruction.

In between the arrival and egress of our protagonists, however, is a lot of entertaining action and hijinks. I don't know if this is meant to be stylized as filler to capitalize on the draw of their leads or if it's an intentional smoke screen. Maybe the point of the movie is that an audience would expect something relatively lighthearted given the subject matter and be ultimately denied. Again, I haven't read the original story and don't know the context of the time it was written. The movie feels like a deliberate trap that lures in someone expecting lovable rogues robbing and deceiving people in caddishly charming ways as opposed to a film that exists to entertain with an ending made to disingenuously suggest that we aren't supposed to like the leads. A-

--

Shane: Western slot! I know the final line of this movie as a pop culture reference and an MST3K joke. I'm guessing it's another western featuring a wandering ex-Confederate soldier.
The Best Years of Our Lives: I'm interested to see how honest the subject matter is given the time when this was made. Also, I've been a Myrna Loy fan ever since I saw the first Thin Man movie.
The Big Sleep: Noir is a hazy, gray area for me. I've seen a few other Bogart movies and I like the cut of his jib.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Wow, you have some real treats ahead of you, why not go with The Best Years of Our Lives next.

I finally got around to The Pianist. Adrian Brody does an amazing job of portraying a Polish Jew hiding out from the Nazis. I felt the plot was rather 'by-the-numbers', but I have seen a lot of WWII-setting movies. Reading the trivia helped me solidify the authenticity of the events we watch. Overall it was good movie, but I just didn't feel that little bit extra that would have pushed it into greatness.

I also watched Man Bites Dog. This is a movie I remember hearing about my early teens and having some interest in. 15 years later I finally get around to watching it, and I have to say it certainly is different. It came off to me as very manipulative of the viewer, as I would literally laugh out loud at the black humor, only to be genuinely uncomfortable or disgusted 5 minutes later. This would make a good double feature with Funny Games, although I can't say necessarily recommend either.

1. Badlands - I liked Days of Heaven..
6. Eyes without a face -
8. Aliens - Thats right... I've never seen any Alien movie beside the first. :(
9. Paris, Texas-

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Dr. Caligari, see Viridiana. Don't know anything about it, but that is my pick.

Metropolis was a great movie. The visuals were stunning. The The special effects were great, especially for the time it was made. The story took a while to draw me in, but when it did, I couldn't stop watching it. Highly recommended.

My List:
Patton - George C. Scott is a very underrated actor. Was great in The Hustler and A Christmas Carol.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

The Great Dictator - Time to get back to Chaplin.

Enter the Dragon - Like Errol Flynn until recently, never saw a Bruce Lee movie either.

Horse Feathers - Time for another Marx Brothers movie.

Despicable Me

The Bad Sleep Well - Having just seen Kurosawa's version of MacBeth, his version of Hamlet is next.

The King and I - 1956 version.

The Wolf Man - Next in my monster movie queue.

Rear Window - I think I may have seen this when I was a kid, but I really don't remember it.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis