Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Eh, I'm somewhat optimistic for Dressrosa in the anime. The manga for this arc stuffs more plot and characters into each chapter than any arc before it. If they keep up the 1 episode per chapter trend, the pacing should naturally feel better just because there's so much more going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm guessing in the manga, they still haven't done flashbacks to the characters' training arcs? They weren't posed with some impossible situation and had to think back on their training and have a few chapters of what they had done on their islands?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

So I'm guessing in the manga, they still haven't done flashbacks to the characters' training arcs? They weren't posed with some impossible situation and had to think back on their training and have a few chapters of what they had done on their islands?

No. But the big fights are only just about to begin, so who knows.

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

The only flashbacks to training so far have been Sanji's protestations that he went through hell and when he talked about learning how to walk on air.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I thought in the anime we had a few episodes dedicated to what they were doing on the island? I think it was 2 characters per episode. I distinctly remember Usopp on that wacky Island where he got fat, Robin on some bridge making colony meeting up with the Revolutionary army, Sanji on Tranny Island, Zoro training with Mihawk and a few more I'm too lazy to mention.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

I thought in the anime we had a few episodes dedicated to what they were doing on the island? I think it was 2 characters per episode. I distinctly remember Usopp on that wacky Island where he got fat, Robin on some bridge making colony meeting up with the Revolutionary army, Sanji on Tranny Island, Zoro training with Mihawk and a few more I'm too lazy to mention.

Pretty sure the anime got the same thing the manga got, where Zoro begged to train under Mihawk, Sanji found out he could make superfood in Newkama Island, Robin joined the revolutionaries, etc. But yeah, I'm assuming that we're gonna get the flashbacks before each character's first real New World fight. Although, there can't really be enough flashbacks about Zoro learning how to slash entire plateaus in half while half asleep, or all the crazy monsters Luffy named his new moves after. :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has Zoro done a no sword style move since Groggy Ring? I'd like to see him do something like that now and have it be completely bananas.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty sure the anime got the same thing the manga got, where Zoro begged to train under Mihawk, Sanji found out he could make superfood in Newkama Island, Robin joined the revolutionaries, etc. But yeah, I'm assuming that we're gonna get the flashbacks before each character's first real New World fight. Although, there can't really be enough flashbacks about Zoro learning how to slash entire plateaus in half while half asleep, or all the crazy monsters Luffy named his new moves after. :(

No the anime expanded on them. Zoro fought some bamboons including a Mihawk clone. Robin escaping slavery on the bridge. Nami with the weather wizards learning weather stuff then eventually trying to run off to Luffy. Franky doing a bunch of stuff in Vegapunks lab and fighting cyborg animals then blowing up the lab. Chopper fixing the bird vs native people problem and learning about their giant library. Ussop getting super fat eating all the food on the island then working out with Hercules. Brook being 'summoned' by people tired of being human trafficked in the double elbow island.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That's not really the same thing as a legit flashback of Luffy and the others having flashbacks to their actual training, it's just filler that expands on the cover arcs and pre-timeskip stuff we already knew about.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

or all the crazy monsters Luffy named his new moves after. :(

Is that where all the new names have been coming from? Come to think of it, they have all been animals, haven't they...

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Is that where all the new names have been coming from? Come to think of it, they have all been animals, haven't they...

Elephant Gun
Red Hawk
that snake one.

...UFO

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You're assuming that the F stands for Flying and not Food.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Of course the guy with a turban bombed a government building. ...Does that make him a good guy or bad guy in One Piece?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Ahaha Bellamy is going to poo poo himself when he works out who Luffy is.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taratang posted:

Ahaha Bellamy is going to poo poo himself when he works out who Luffy is.

I'm a little disappointed to see he's alive. Except two notable exceptions, no one seems capable of dying unless they're parents. This bodes well for Mr 2 and Sado though (not that I had any doubts really). The idea that Doflamingo spared someone's life is a bit absurd in my opinion. Well, I guess that kama kama guy from the filler died on their way into the Grand Line.

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
Agreed, Shadow. I was surprised as hell to see him alive. Also was I the only one that was upset that they described the battle royale twice? Episode felt a little flat to me.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Has anyone watched Funimation's dub of Strong World? I thought it was pretty great, and they picked a fantastic dub voice for Brook. :yohoho:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

Has anyone watched Funimation's dub of Strong World? I thought it was pretty great, and they picked a fantastic dub voice for Brook. :yohoho:

Whoa, what? This is out/available? I enjoy the Funi OP dub, I'd definitely be interested in checking this out.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

DizzyBum posted:

they picked a fantastic dub voice for Brook. :yohoho:

I realized this as soon as they put out the introduction video for him that ended in him doing the Brook laugh.

I actually think Brook is the first character in the dub to actually have a unique laugh, too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Drakkel posted:

I realized this as soon as they put out the introduction video for him that ended in him doing the Brook laugh.

I actually think Brook is the first character in the dub to actually have a unique laugh, too.

Hadn't seen this myself, so here's a link for anyone else who hasn't seen it yet. The laugh is pretty perfect, but it's really right at the end of the video so I missed it until I saw you mention it and watched it a second time. Can't find any Youtube videos of him singing yet however, which is kind of central to his character.

I also ended up watching the anime's sub of Brook's final concert while searching for English dub videos. Hadn't seen it yet, but man the anime really nailed that scene. It's right up there with Roger and Whitebeard's declarations as giant middle fingers to the World Government go. I don't even care if Brook never gets a great one on one fight so long as he gets more scenes like that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How in the world did they get away with literally adding Zatoichi to this show? That's loving awesome, but I can't help thinking that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

How in the world did they get away with literally adding Zatoichi to this show? That's loving awesome, but I can't help thinking that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Parody laws seem to be stronger in Japan.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

All of the admirals are literally actors/characters from Japanese movies.
Sorry everyone I totally blanked on that. The spoiler is regarding the identity of the above mentioned dude.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 23, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Candle posted:

All of the admirals are literally actors/characters from Japanese movies.

Anime watchers aren't supposed to know that yet :ssh:

Though his character design does make it really obvious.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
No new episode this week?

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
Looks like not this week.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whoa, what? This is out/available? I enjoy the Funi OP dub, I'd definitely be interested in checking this out.

Yeah, it's out now, and it sounds like the Thriller Bark dub is lined up for 2014.

They do a good job with the show. There are some dub scenes that are really well done. For example, try to watch the scene where Nami finds Usopp after he's been beaten up and loses all the Straw Hats' money.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
There's waaay to much poo poo going on:

1. Sanji and the latino girl
2. Zoro and the fairies
3. Handover team and the Green Bit (and the fairies)
4. Luffy with Bart/pretty boy/Kano guys/
5. Block C fight
6. Franky and the soldier
7. The navy
8. Mr Samurai and evil dudes
9. Weird poo poo happening on the boat

and a bunch of other tiny bits like who the hell Ricky was or where is the gladiator girl and who the statue is (probably Ricky), wtf happend with Bellamy and Skypia

I had a good giggle at the depiction of the two arabs: Jeet and Abdullah. Ahahaha. TWO EVILS, COWARDS. CHEATERS but I really liked how Bellamy was a trash at the end. Bart winning was expected but hilarious. That loving king. Great character design.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

2. Zoro and the fairies
5. Block C fight
7. The navy

and a bunch of other tiny bits like who the hell Ricky was or where is the gladiator girl and who the statue is (probably Ricky), wtf happend with Bellamy and Skypia

I had a good giggle at the depiction of the two arabs: Jeet and Abdullah. Ahahaha. TWO EVILS, COWARDS. CHEATERS but I really liked how Bellamy was a trash at the end. Bart winning was expected but hilarious. That loving king. Great character design.

Yeah I haven't been watching the recent episodes but I've been reading along and this arc was getting really dense and spread out. They've got so many crew members that if they are all out doing different jobs it can get really confusing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Suspicious Lump posted:

She's clearly Spanish. And even if she wasn't, she'd be Latina, not Latino.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Lump posted:

2. Zoro and the fairies
5. Block C fight
7. The navy

Jeet and Abdullah are both huge wrestling references, of Tiger Jeet Singh(in the ring, a huge heel, outside the ring, a philanthropist) and Abdullah the Butcher(a formerly famous hardcore wrestler, just look at that wikipedia thumbnail). A lot of the characters in the tournament are wrestling references, there's a giant Macho Man Randy Savage for gently caress's sake. Don't stir poo poo out of ignorance.

And without spoiling things, despite it just being a gigantic clusterfuck of stuff going on, don't lose faith in Oda's storytelling. This is, yet again, one of the better arcs in One Piece, even if people say that about every arc(except Davy Back Fight). Hell, the last chapter of the manga that just came out I consider one of the best in the entire series, so take that as you will. I can't wait to see that part animated.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 10, 2014

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

I had a good giggle at the depiction of the two arabs: Jeet and Abdullah. Ahahaha. TWO EVILS, COWARDS. CHEATERS

Disregarding that they're references, I still don't get why people are complaining about this, the same thing happened in the manga thread, we had a whole arab country/island (Arabasta) with tons of regular people decently portrayed yet the moment two criminals who happen to have arab-inspired designs appear everyone flips out as if the author went full Hitler.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I honestly thought it was funny depiction of arabs. I didn't see anything wrong with Oda making fun of my race (I'm an arab). I have no idea who Randy the Savage is, so clearly I'm ignorant of wrestlers, thanks for letting me know.

Petiso: It wasn't a complaint.

quote:

And without spoiling things, despite it just being a gigantic clusterfuck of stuff going on, don't lose faith in Oda's storytelling. This is, yet again, one of the better arcs in One Piece, even if people say that about every arc(except Davy Back Fight). Hell, the last chapter of the manga that just came out I consider one of the best in the entire series, so take that as you will. I can't wait to see that part animated.

I don't mind so many threads. It's just annoying when a something is left out when it could easily be put in. A good example is when Law was telling Luffy who he wanted to take out. For a few episodes we were left in the dark for no loving reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Lump posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I honestly thought it was funny depiction of arabs. I didn't see anything wrong with Oda making fun of my race (I'm an arab). I have no idea who Randy the Savage is, so clearly I'm ignorant of wrestlers, thanks for letting me know.
I'm not judging, but you've really never seen this guy come up on the forums here at all? He's fairly popular on the internet, ironically or not, let alone real life. OHHHHHH YEAAHHHHHH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Savage

(I haven't watched wrestling at all aside from once or twice as a kid)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not judging, but you've really never seen this guy come up on the forums here at all? He's fairly popular on the internet, ironically or not, let alone real life. OHHHHHH YEAAHHHHHH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Savage

(I haven't watched wrestling at all aside from once or twice as a kid)

Don't lie I know you watch VGCW religiously.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sorry, I meant real fake wrestling, not fake real fake wrestling.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
You can judge, I don't mind. I think I've seen him once or twice on the internet but I never took notice, sorry :( I don't think wrestling was ever big in Australia.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is like the first time Sanji's stupid over-romantic gag was not only not cringe-worthy, but actually kind of cool. I do really get tired of that "gag" though...
Zorro getting lost is still good though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

This is like the first time Sanji's stupid over-romantic gag was not only not cringe-worthy, but actually kind of cool. I do really get tired of that "gag" though...
Zorro getting lost is still good though.

I honestly can't imagine a situation where Zoro getting lost would not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

I honestly can't imagine a situation where Zoro getting lost would not be funny.

Kuina's funeral.