Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Stoneage gamer are selling some semi reject turbo ever drives from $27-50. Discounts and coupns can be applied apparantly. They still play games despite being rejects. I expect they'll go fast-here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/StoneAgeGamer/posts/10203324369813886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Awwww lame about the TV. It's so pretty!

I guess I could pick it up for a 480i-from-PS2 Beatmania TV. :P

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

shymog posted:

Wouldn't that be an "HDTV-ready" (LOL) Trinitron? I can't recall the exact reasoning, but I seem to remember the CRT geeks here pointing out reasons who you don't want those for retro gaming.

I believe HDTV Ready trinitrons have HDMI ports in the back. This one does not so I think it's okay. I could be wrong though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Peenmaster posted:

I believe HDTV Ready trinitrons have HDMI ports in the back. This one does not so I think it's okay. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure HDTV only meant 720p or 1080i. I had a rear projection Sony TV that accepted 480p and 1080i (and would accept 720p but downscale it to 480p) and had pretty much that exact selection of ports on the back. HDTV definitely pre-dates HDMI, although only just.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
What's the general consensus on third party Gamecube component cables? I found some multi-system cables at a thrift store today, with had plugs for the 360, PS2/PS3, and Gamecube, but no Wii, which I thought was odd. If they aren't poo poo I might go back and grab one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

I also got the AD Adapter in from Game Doctor HK (the one that lets you play GBA games on the SNES via supposedly reverse-engineered hardware and not pure emulation), so I'll give that a whirl later on and report back if anyone is interested.

I am definitely interested.

ReverendHammer posted:

What's the general consensus on third party Gamecube component cables? I found some multi-system cables at a thrift store today, with had plugs for the 360, PS2/PS3, and Gamecube, but no Wii, which I thought was odd. If they aren't poo poo I might go back and grab one.

They won't work for the gamecube. Only the official nintendo component cables had the circuitry built into the cable to do component.

On that note, has anyone done any work on the digital out port on the gamecube to get any kind of dvi or hdmi signal out of it? Obviously not natively, but it seems like whatever format the signal comes out in could be altered with purpose-built hardware.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 21, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ReverendHammer posted:

I have never heard of any 3rd party GameCube competent cables having ever existed. There's a chip or some poo poo that it needs for component to work, and that isn't in the system itself but rather in the cables.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

They won't do progressive scan. To lower the costs of the Gamecube, they only put the board that handles the progressive scan processing inside the connector part of the component cable. They command such high prices because they're impossible to replicate. I think the Wii has its own connector standard.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RZA Encryption posted:

On that note, has anyone done any work on the digital out port on the gamecube to get any kind of dvi or hdmi signal out of it? Obviously not natively, but it seems like whatever format the signal comes out in could be altered with purpose-built hardware.

Not that I'm aware. I'd love it if someone did though, so I wouldn't have to spend like 4 times as much money on component cables as the GameCube itself costs these days.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

HDTV definitely pre-dates HDMI, although only just.

First modern HDTVs released at retail (i.e. not that weird 80s Japanese analog HDTV system, and not something only used in studios or businesses): 1997
First HDMI hardware at retail: 2003

More than only just! I believe the first one was Sony Trintron branded set in the 35 to 40 inch range, and a CRT at that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got snowed out of work. So I decided to pull apart some SNESes. One of then had an s-enc chip so I wired it up for component out. I got "invalid format" from one of my tv's and nothing from the other. It still worked via the multi out so at least I hadn't destroyed the system. I looked back over some threads on it and it turns out that half of them have green and blue switched. That might not seen to matter, but you can pull green off of pin 7 from the multi out which I had done to avoid soldering 2 pins right next to each other on a chip. After it not working the first time I decided to just pull all three off the chip itself. SUCCESS! Of sorts. I now get "invalid format" from both my tv's.

I'm assuming this means that with a SCART cable and component transcoder I'll have the same problem.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Arcade sticks are fun and easy to make. If you don't want to make a case just lurk SRK's trade forum and try and score a nice one for around 30-40 bucks from someone. But making a case is seriously easy, you need some basic power tools everyone should own anyways.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html
Slagcoin is the arcade stick builders bible.

Wow! That's a great resource. Thanks for sharing that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

:laffo:

Yep, that's nearly the same thing as my Panasonic Quintrix aka Stand-Buster 5000, although the SB5000 is only 32 inches so it's slightly less of a mighty struggle to lift it. Still took three people to carry it in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

I also got the AD Adapter in from Game Doctor HK (the one that lets you play GBA games on the SNES via supposedly reverse-engineered hardware and not pure emulation), so I'll give that a whirl later on and report back if anyone is interested.

You are aware of which thread you're posting in, right? Of course people are dying of curiosity.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ok. Time for some weirdness.

I bought a copy of Zanac for NES on eBay the other day. Turns out it's a rare 5 screw version.

The thing is, the top 2 screws were missing, and the contacts are a little corroded. I disassembled the cart, and noticed something weird. The PRG ROM has a paper label on it with ZANAC handwritten in ballpoint pen. The board is a legit NES US 72 pin board. I cleaned the contacts with Brasso and then alcohol, reassembled the cart and played the game.

Here's where things get weird.

The game plays as normal, EXCEPT that when paused, hitting Select will cause the score counter to increase by 100,000, up to seven times, before rolling over to the actual earned score. No matter what, when unpaused the score returns to normal.

In addition, if you possess a subweapon, hitting Select will revert you back to the default subweapon (Weapon 0), and repeatedly hitting Select will power the weapon up, as if you'd collected additional power-up items for it.

I'm not sure what I have on my hands here. Help me, i'm scared :(

The PCB with the paper label:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

McCracAttack posted:

Wow! That's a great resource. Thanks for sharing that.

My only complaint with them is that a few things they have are out of date. Mainly they don't list the LS58 Joystick which is generally considered to be one of the best ones on the market right now and they don't list a lot of Chinese and Korean components and buttons (Crown and JYUEEANG both make good buttons). They also have a pretty outdated section on PCB's because it mainly focuses on using ones ripped from controllers while these days there are so many six button fightpads, cheap fight sticks and custom arcade stick PCBs (ZeroDelay Encoder is one of the better cheap ones) that you almost never use one directly out of a controller unless you're making a stick for a really old system (like a Dreamcast or Saturn).

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah that's the model number where sync isn't wired up properly. It's a great model to have, but that's the one downside.

I had this issue with mine as well and it can be fixed by wiring up csync (a pin from the encoder to the AV port of your SNES) or by going in the XRGB Mini and messing around with the sync level. On mine, changing Sync_Level to 13 fixed it.

I had another play around. When using a cable with a sync stripper, the output is black and the mini acknowledges that there is a signal. When going back to the standard one I get no_input again. Both play sound fine. Playing with the Sync_Level on the mini doesn't change anything, or more accurately, doesn't fix it. The cable without the sync stripper was the one that had been previously working.

I'll probably hold off on doing anything more until I get the PS2 RGB cable to test and make sure the mini is all right. If it is, I can think about what I want to do with the SNES. If not, then I'll just have to use s-video input on the mini.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I completely forgot that I bought this about a month ago on eBay :toot:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
What on earth, there are mouse enabled TG16/PCE games?

Cool looking mouse though, nice find.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

What on earth, there are mouse enabled TG16/PCE games?

Cool looking mouse though, nice find.

Yup! Here's a list http://www.slowdays.org/wiki/List_of_Mouse-Supporting_PC_Engine_Games

Gonna be playing me some mad Lemmings tonight

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RodShaft posted:

I'm assuming this means that with a SCART cable and component transcoder I'll have the same problem.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that; your SNES may not be sending a properly formatted Y/Pb/Pr signal out in the first place. Are you sure that you aren't tapping straight RGB (which your TVs 99.9% would be unable to handle) from the chip?

The SCART-to-component transcoder takes the RGB that your SNES is already outputting from the multi-out port, and formats it to a normal Y/Pb/Pr (i.e. component) spec. So long as the component inputs on your TV aren't busted, it should work.

flyboi posted:

That mouse so perfectly sums up early '90s design aesthetics. Solid colors, shamelessly plastic, a raised circle cut in half for the buttons...you realize you can't really use it unless you wear a Hypercolor shirt, some Bugle Boy jeans, and swig back some woefully expired Crystal Pepsi, right?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

flyboi posted:

Yup! Here's a list http://www.slowdays.org/wiki/List_of_Mouse-Supporting_PC_Engine_Games

Gonna be playing me some mad Lemmings tonight

That rules, I had no idea the PCE had a mouse, and playing Lemmings with it sounds perfect.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That mouse so perfectly sums up early '90s design aesthetics. Solid colors, shamelessly plastic, a raised circle cut in half for the buttons...you realize you can't really use it unless you wear a Hypercolor shirt, some Bugle Boy jeans, and swig back some woefully expired Crystal Pepsi, right?

Take this photo and make it the OP of the next thread

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

luigionlsd posted:

This is how you know you have hit the edge of :retrogames:

HA! Turns out this is fun! I'm having fun.

flyboi posted:

I like every part of this

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 22, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

We may have found the answer to the age old question plaguing retro gamers and 90s kids everywhere: which version of Aladdin is better, Genesis or Super Nintendo?

Shinji Mikami admits to liking the Genesis version more because it has swords and Genie on the cover.

Genies and swords. Sega does what Nintendon't.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Debate's over. Suck it, Nintentards :c00l:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, I guess it's time to sell up all my Nintendo gear and buy the latest Sega console.

Oh...

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Xik posted:

Welp, I guess it's time to sell up all my Nintendo gear and buy the latest Sega console.

Oh...

Aren't there rumors Microsoft's gonna sell the Xbox division?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

univbee posted:

They won't do progressive scan. To lower the costs of the Gamecube, they only put the board that handles the progressive scan processing inside the connector part of the component cable. They command such high prices because they're impossible to replicate. I think the Wii has its own connector standard.

Thanks. I knew there was some small piece of information I was missing but while I was there I couldn't remember what it was.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Bing the Noize posted:

Supposedly investors keep asking MS to spin off the Entertainment division and Bing to focus on 'core' products. Which would be dumb IMO.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bing the Noize posted:

Yeah, Bing too, but even if it was 100% confirmed to be going ahead and they sell Xbox, I doubt Sega could afford it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xik posted:

Yeah, Bing too, but even if it was 100% confirmed to be going ahead and they sell Xbox, I doubt Sega could afford it.

The supposed buyer was rumored to be Amazon.com and that could possibly mean that the Xbox becomes the platform for amazon's digital download services for games and movies.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bing the Noize posted:

It was like the #1 thing that analysts predicted when Ballmer announced his retirement and announcement of looking for the next CEO.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Debate's over. Suck it, Nintentards :c00l:

I wish I could go back in time and rub it in everybody's faces.

"Hey! Shinji Mikami said he liked the Genesis version better!"
"Who the gently caress is Shinjie Mycame? Pass the sticks, homie."

e: Even the mainstream media can't ignore all the doomsaying over Xbone's sales compared to PS4.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Silhouette posted:

Ok. Time for some weirdness.

I bought a copy of Zanac for NES on eBay the other day. Turns out it's a rare 5 screw version.

The thing is, the top 2 screws were missing, and the contacts are a little corroded. I disassembled the cart, and noticed something weird. The PRG ROM has a paper label on it with ZANAC handwritten in ballpoint pen. The board is a legit NES US 72 pin board. I cleaned the contacts with Brasso and then alcohol, reassembled the cart and played the game.

Here's where things get weird.

The game plays as normal, EXCEPT that when paused, hitting Select will cause the score counter to increase by 100,000, up to seven times, before rolling over to the actual earned score. No matter what, when unpaused the score returns to normal.

In addition, if you possess a subweapon, hitting Select will revert you back to the default subweapon (Weapon 0), and repeatedly hitting Select will power the weapon up, as if you'd collected additional power-up items for it.

I'm not sure what I have on my hands here. Help me, i'm scared :(

The PCB with the paper label:

Huh. My first guess was that it was a copy sent in for repair, but the debug stuff is making me question that. Review copy maybe?

Want me to dump the ROM and mail it back? There are probably other debug features hidden in there. Here's what's still hidden in the retail version, sounds different than yours though:

http://tcrf.net/Zanac_(NES)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

e: Even the mainstream media can't ignore all the doomsaying over Xbone's sales compared to PS4.

Actually, the reason they picked up on it is that the Xbox division has been a black hole of money for Microsoft for the past ten years. It generates a lot of income (though nothing close to their business divisions) but it's absurdly expensive. It's like when Sony bought Tristar pictures back in the 90's; they want to be in the entertainment business and have been willing to just throw money at it for the sake of prestige and some nebulous "supporting other business units" reasons. Big investors have been wanting them to dump Xbox for years.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TCRF was the first place I checked, and none of the Debug options line up with what's going on with this thing. It's definitely the earliest revision of the US release, since it's UNROM-04 based and has the 3193A CIC lockout chip.

I'll get back to you about dumping it. I'm going to pop the cart in again and see if the weirdness is consistent.

edit: Show's over, the game was just glitching, it works fine now :(

That paper label on the PRG RAM chip is going to bother me forever though. Why is it there?

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 22, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Install Windows posted:

More than only just! I believe the first one was Sony Trintron branded set in the 35 to 40 inch range, and a CRT at that.

I guess I meant more "just" in a "units sold" sense. Not a whole lot of people were dropping crazy money on them in that 6-year span, and I think at least here there was gently caress-all use for anything above 480p in that time; my first exposure to HDTV was going to a TV studio in late 2001.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Silhouette posted:

TCRF was the first place I checked, and none of the Debug options line up with what's going on with this thing. It's definitely the earliest revision of the US release, since it's UNROM-04 based and has the 3193A CIC lockout chip.

I'll get back to you about dumping it. I'm going to pop the cart in again and see if the weirdness is consistent.

edit: Show's over, the game was just glitching, it works fine now :(

That paper label on the PRG RAM chip is going to bother me forever though. Why is it there?

I'm going back to my original theory, then: this was sent in for repair.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Saw this over on reddit and thought this thread might get a chuckle. Someone in Oklahoma City is shooting for the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Maybe, but drat those monitors are nice :allears:

• Locked thread