Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tviolet
May 20, 2004

1st AD, Makeup Addiction is a very useful subreddit. Even without a good MUA, when you know more about it, it's way easier to fix/enhance faces before shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

1st AD posted:

Also note how generally subtle it is, the eye shadow and blush are just there to contour her face and match quite well with the lipstick color but aren't in your face either. Also her eyebrows are impeccable. And her lashes have definition and her application of mascara is VERY clean and professional looking.

Honestly I really should learn how to do makeup, because I am really fascinated by good examples of it and it'd be one less thing for me to worry about on shoots where I can't afford a MUA.

or get better at retouching ;)

tviolet posted:

1st AD, Makeup Addiction is a very useful subreddit. Even without a good MUA, when you know more about it, it's way easier to fix/enhance faces before shooting.

I lurk r/MUA and it's pretty decent. I just hate when a post inevitably makes the front page and all the redditors freak out about makeup being lying and how women don't need makeup and only do it to trick men or whatever.

I make any MUA that works with me watch these tutorials - http://vimeo.com/jobakermakeupartist as they're the basis of what makeup I want in my work.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 14, 2014

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

tviolet posted:

I'd like to comment on Drop Database pictures because he/she seems puzzled as to why bad styling could spoil a picture, even if the technical aspect of it is good.

In your pictures, it looks like the model made her skin tone very even with foundation, then used a black liner of sort to do the rest. The foundation evens out everything so well that it will look very flat on picture, and in person as well. The black eye makeup also looks like it was applied with those thick halloween makeup stick that you dip in water.

When makeup is used, there is a need to bring shapes back into the face after the foundation. A method called contouring will achieve that. I got this picture from a subreddit on makeup. I don't think this lady set up a crazy photoshoot to show her face, but still the result is very good and her face doesn't look flat.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm learning a lot about makeup :\
I didn't pay too much attention to the model's makeup application process, but I'm reasonably sure no water was involved. She changed her lipstick and eye makeup halfway through the shoot, on location, with a compact. Maybe why it looks like it does.

This is what it was like before she went full-goth with it.

I would be curious to hear your opinion. Better or worse?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Drop Database posted:

Thanks for your feedback! I'm learning a lot about makeup :\
I didn't pay too much attention to the model's makeup application process, but I'm reasonably sure no water was involved. She changed her lipstick and eye makeup halfway through the shoot, on location, with a compact. Maybe why it looks like it does.

This is what it was like before she went full-goth with it.

I would be curious to hear your opinion. Better or worse?

that's much better than the batwing stuff. You have to really know what you're doing when you do more "creative" forms of makeup because it's very easy end up with it looking awful. You won't really see a "good" creative makeup look outside of top end fashion magazines. Even then it's very hit and miss.

this is loving horrific for example.

It's much better imo to play it safe at first.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

Paragon8 posted:

You have to really know what you're doing when you do more "creative" forms of makeup because it's very easy end up with it looking awful.

That's pretty much what I've learned from this photoshoot, all summed up

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

that's much better than the batwing stuff. You have to really know what you're doing when you do more "creative" forms of makeup because it's very easy end up with it looking awful. You won't really see a "good" creative makeup look outside of top end fashion magazines. Even then it's very hit and miss.

this is loving horrific for example.

It's much better imo to play it safe at first.

Just to say, I really like this photo and the makeup in it. So there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thetzar posted:

Just to say, I really like this photo and the makeup in it. So there.

and that's the great thing about art being subjective!

I think the lighting makes the makeup look worse than it is, but overall it's pretty mediocre for arguably one of the highest profile models on the planet.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
One of the shots from the shoot I did this weekend.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Awkward Davies posted:

I like the second one. It's androgynous in a great way.

Also not sure if that smoke is real.

Thanks to and the other dude. None of us are smokers and we didn't plan it out in advance to have cigarettes unfortunately. So the smoke and cigarette are both photoshopped. It was good practice but I wasn't 100% happy with the smoke, however I don't have time to play with what would make it look better right now. Always be prepared, I guess.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I used a camera in order to take this picture

scan0017 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

LargeHadron posted:

Are you certain?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I dunno I took portraits I guess.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Dawn by SPV Photo, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

coool

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah, that really is a fantastic shot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks! Another one of her that I quite like:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

big scary monsters posted:

Thanks! Another one of her that I quite like:

I like this, but I'm a grain worshiper.

The lighting in Boston's Back Bay station is cinematic as gently caress.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

thetzar posted:

I like this, but I'm a grain worshiper.

The lighting in Boston's Back Bay station is cinematic as gently caress.

Marvellous shots. I think I prefer the second one. While the first has lots of tension because of his expression I also feel I am missing something that should be there on the right. I keep looking at the empty space on the right and wondering what I should be looking at.

With the second shot I think the composition is better. While he is looking at something outside the frame, it feels to me like the additional angle of his head combined with the fog of his breath makes this shot more interesting. The little kick of ?light? behind his head rounds it off and draws me back in.

My only other comment would be... are these too sharp?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

LargeHadron posted:

Rescanned and now it is objectively better.

rgb-compose (2) by LargeHadron, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Your shot appears to be several stops underexposed, perhaps by way of your scanning technique.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

1st AD posted:

Your shot appears to be several stops underexposed

I would call this a fair description

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

dunos posted:

Marvellous shots. I think I prefer the second one. While the first has lots of tension because of his expression I also feel I am missing something that should be there on the right. I keep looking at the empty space on the right and wondering what I should be looking at.

With the second shot I think the composition is better. While he is looking at something outside the frame, it feels to me like the additional angle of his head combined with the fog of his breath makes this shot more interesting. The little kick of ?light? behind his head rounds it off and draws me back in.

My only other comment would be... are these too sharp?

Thanks for the thoughts! Very good point about that glance to the right. If I had my druthers, I'd certainly have had him looking at something we could see. I also noticed that in my prior crop, I had been sloppy; there was a white fringe of a background object that snuck in. I've gone a little bit tighter to eliminate that.

They are also certainly on the 'very sharpened' side of things. Still trying to find the sweet spot for X-Trans + Lightroom. I think that these work on the sharp side of the spectrum, though I change my mind about that often.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Day one of photographing my stupid girlfriend's outfit for the day before she goes to work. That'll teach her for asking me how she looks.

I told her to wear the skirt she had on before this, but nooooo

notlodar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 21, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Did you tell her to make her least attractive face for that second one? Also I'm not even gonna ask where that's acceptable workwear :ohdear:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Also I'm not even gonna ask where that's acceptable workwear :ohdear:

Skinny Mom Jeans Emporium

e. Also I don't think her face is unattractive in the second. You have a good-looking girlfriend, notlodar :). Sorry to hear that she's stupid though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah those jeans are really high waisted, nice photo otherwise though.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you tell her to make her least attractive face for that second one? Also I'm not even gonna ask where that's acceptable workwear :ohdear:
I think she was making a fart sound and doing something with her butt. Like poop was coming out.

LargeHadron posted:

Skinny Mom Jeans Emporium

e. Also I don't think her face is unattractive in the second. You have a good-looking girlfriend, notlodar :). Sorry to hear that she's stupid though.
I told her thats what she's going to look like when shes much older after much plastic surgery. At least she doesn't look like she's going to murder me.

1st AD posted:

Yeah those jeans are really high waisted, nice photo otherwise though.

It's like... where the hell is your belly button you alien.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Those jeans seem good to me.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I dragged a friend out to try using my flash off camera for the first time.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Those jeans seem good to me.

But are they Art?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Haven't done anything portrait-related in a really long time. And first time attempting on 4x5, with a 580EXII through an umbrella to the right. Wanted to get this shot of friend with his graphite drawing so his parents can hang it.

Lens was too wide (150mm) so this is a lot of cropping, and he was backed into the corner which leads to awkward horizon and didn't put the drawing absolutely flush so there's all these weird lines going on. Ambient light was just a lamp somewhere behind me. I kept trying to egg him on to make some old portrait-style poses but we were pretty splishy splashy.

Any suggestions (apart from get out of the corner), but any lighting tips to keep the portrait nice and evenly lit but a bit of drama around him? Softbox it? reflect? Any ideas? Hope to revisit this again soon

Tom Sullivan & his Graphite drawing of his Grandfather by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 22, 2014

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
I´ve had photography as a hobby for a few years now but have never done any portrait photos until recently. I got myself a white and a black paper background and 2 flashes on lighstands with a shoot through umbrella and have been shooting portraits of friends of mine that wanted some family pictures.
I´ve been doing this without any payment, and mostly just to challenge myself and try to improve as a photographer. After posting these on facebook and some word of mouth I have a few people wanting to actually pay me to do more of the same.

So, I thought I should post a few here and get an opinion from another crowd. Are these actually any good, and what can I do to improve ? I´m not an expert on post processing and all of these are raw files processed in lightroom, no major retouching have been done, just adjustments in Lightroom. I feel they´re all ok, but perhaps a little boring in the way lighting has been done ? Is anyone feels so inclined there´s a few more there if you follow the Flickr link.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
First time doing studio-ish type stuff. Think it turned out ok for a first try, other than shadows all over the place. Will do better next time!

Cake Smash 1 by Winston85, on Flickr

Cake Smash 2 by Winston85, on Flickr

Cake Smash 3 by Winston85, on Flickr

Cake Smash 5 by Winston85, on Flickr

Cake Smash 6 by Winston85, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF2797.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
I feel like I finally am getting somewhere with learning how to take a picture. I took these of an old friend to celebrate new lenses. She's got a super expressive face, but she makes some weird faces between shots that I catch sometimes.

IMG_6522-2 by Cardboard Tube Knight, on Flickr

IMG_6231-2 by Cardboard Tube Knight, on Flickr

IMG_6537 by Cardboard Tube Knight, on Flickr

This last one was taken a while back. It was an accident.

IMG_4934-2 by Cardboard Tube Knight, on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Arvid posted:

I´ve had photography as a hobby for a few years now but have never done any portrait photos until recently. I got myself a white and a black paper background and 2 flashes on lighstands with a shoot through umbrella and have been shooting portraits of friends of mine that wanted some family pictures.
I´ve been doing this without any payment, and mostly just to challenge myself and try to improve as a photographer. After posting these on facebook and some word of mouth I have a few people wanting to actually pay me to do more of the same.

So, I thought I should post a few here and get an opinion from another crowd. Are these actually any good, and what can I do to improve ? I´m not an expert on post processing and all of these are raw files processed in lightroom, no major retouching have been done, just adjustments in Lightroom. I feel they´re all ok, but perhaps a little boring in the way lighting has been done ? Is anyone feels so inclined there´s a few more there if you follow the Flickr link.

Exposure and color feel a little off in all of them. Baby feels overexposed and most of the skintones feel a little too warm. I think the lighting is solid, although not very exciting, as you said. That's the kind of lighting you are expected to use for that kind of portraiture, though.

Mightaswell posted:

First time doing studio-ish type stuff. Think it turned out ok for a first try, other than shadows all over the place. Will do better next time!

Cake Smash 1 by Winston85, on Flickr

Top couple are maybe slightly overexposed and the orange is blowing out and should probably be taken down a little, but otherwise they're pretty solid. Bottom two the skintone is off and the lighting is really flat on the baby and really overexposed on the cake tray. I agree they turned out decent for a first time and it wouldn't take a ton of reworking to make something really good in the future.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I feel like I finally am getting somewhere with learning how to take a picture. I took these of an old friend to celebrate new lenses. She's got a super expressive face, but she makes some weird faces between shots that I catch sometimes.

The shots are flattering so that's good. The composition is okay, but the lighting feels really flat and I can't quite figure out why. I see plenty of shadows and highlights but there's no depth to either of them.

The photo of the kid is fantastic. Do whatever you did accidentally again.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Exposure and color feel a little off in all of them. Baby feels overexposed and most of the skintones feel a little too warm. I think the lighting is solid, although not very exciting, as you said. That's the kind of lighting you are expected to use for that kind of portraiture, though.

Thanks for the feedback. While processing these I always struggle the most with the skintones, I just can´t seem to get them correct. If I remember correctly the white balance was set at just a hair above 6000K for most of these, since the flash is supposed to be around 5500K I guess I could dial the WB down slightly.
When you say exposure feels a little off, do you mean over/underexposed or something else ?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Amanda by SPV Photo, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I really like that general concept, but there is something derpy going on with her face and it bugs the hell out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

1st AD posted:

I really like that general concept, but there is something derpy going on with her face and it bugs the hell out of me

Well if you cover up the right side she looks good, but if you cover up the left side she looks like she's on Vicodin.