Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok you got me real good there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. They made an entire series about the cast suffering as much as possible.

Ryuki?

Or was that just the viewer suffering as much as possible?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Heaven' Tornado is MUCH earlier my friend.
The Shy Kid Movie episodes were infinitely worse than Heaven's Tornado.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Seeing a clip of the Heaven's Tornado finisher is the reason I started watching Double to begin with.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Shy Kid Movie episodes were infinitely worse than Heaven's Tornado.

Sorry no. Movie episodes had some great Terui moments, the debut(?) of Red Nazca, and some great Shotaro scenes where he just wants to throttle the kid.

Heaven's Tornado had...Well the Tupac shirt reveal I guess.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I thought even the Puppeteer episodes would have been fine with a less awful doll sound. And a better/more threatening doll, too, sure, but the story I don't remember being that bad.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Was that the Eternal movie because that sucked big time

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Trill Twisty posted:

They are talking about the Gene dopant episodes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Trill Twisty posted:

Are you talking about the Movie that happened 'during' the show or the W Returns movie? Cause if you thought the first movie was bad you and I are gonna have a polite discussion about it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They should make another Eternal movie, where they look into the mystery of just where the gently caress that guy's chin went.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing to remember about Wakana is she was being experimented on from the start and Gaia Memories, especially unfiltered Gaia Memories, do really bad poo poo to you and basically drive you batshit. It's one of the things that keeps happening to Dopants of the Week and they're not (usually) the target of Weather's experimentation. That plot arc was pretty heavily set up and contributed to her eventual collapse. It's one of the big Memory As Drug Metaphor things in the show.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The thing to remember about Wakana is she was being experimented on from the start and Gaia Memories, especially unfiltered Gaia Memories, do really bad poo poo to you and basically drive you batshit. It's one of the things that keeps happening to Dopants of the Week and they're not (usually) the target of Weather's experimentation. That plot arc was pretty heavily set up and contributed to her eventual collapse. It's one of the big Memory As Drug Metaphor things in the show.

I think the After School Special episode cemented that idea a fair bit.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Potsticker posted:

They are talking about the Gene dopant episodes.

Ok thanks for answering. That was good as I recall but its been like 3 years since I saw it

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Are you talking about the Movie that happened 'during' the show or the W Returns movie? Cause if you thought the first movie was bad you and I are gonna have a polite discussion about it.

The one that was W Returns. The normal movie was OK

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How does Saban get around Gokaiger footage using ranger suits that weren't adapted into the series?

They loving don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iPZqVn_oY

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Waffleman_ posted:

How does Saban get around Gokaiger footage using ranger suits that weren't adapted into the series?

They loving don't.

Every time I see footage from this it hurts me. Physically. :negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It kills me because they went to the trouble of filming an entirely new Legend War, but then they just use Dairanger like it ain't no thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I don't know whether to laugh at how awful it is or cry at how poorly they're using Gokaiger.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Must they be constantly talking? Ugh. I know with gizmos and such no pays attention anymore but can they shut up for one second?

All that footage does is make me want to watch Gokaiger again.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

They loving don't.

Welp. That's obnoxiously lazy, not even a cool name? An attempt at a reason/explanation? Secret Alien rangers, if they've never been seen on earth?

Dairanger is after Zyuranger though. I wonder if we'll see any GoRanger-Jetman?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Welp. That's obnoxiously lazy, not even a cool name? An attempt at a reason/explanation? Secret Alien rangers, if they've never been seen on earth?

They didn't even bother to explain the loving Gokaiger forms. Gosei was like "Oh, I guess I always had these. Use 'em. Don't ask why they're pirates."

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I don't see why its some kind of sin for them to just use the footage. This is a show for small children who were not even close to being alive when mmpr first started. They're not going to care or even know the difference when jetman suits show up except they might think the bird people are cool. The only reason they even recognize the MMPR suits is because they still get used in advertising for the series.

Now the fact that they never loving shut up, that does suck, but sometimes it seems to me like you guys are going out of your way to whine. They didn't explain why the green ranger became white when he got his new powers, or why the black ranger's thunderzord was mostly green, or why the pink ranger's ninja zord wasn't at all pink yet the toy of it was. This poo poo has been happening since the beginning because it's always been a show for small children who don't give a poo poo as long as the toys are cool.

EDIT: I'm not saying Super Megaforce is good. I'm saying the opposite. It's bad but Power Rangers has always been bad, so what can you expect.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I don't see why its some kind of sin for them to just use the footage. This is a show for small children who were not even close to being alive when mmpr first started. They're not going to care or even know the difference when jetman suits show up except they might think the bird people are cool. The only reason they even recognize the MMPR suits is because they still get used in advertising for the series.

Now the fact that they never loving shut up, that does suck, but sometimes it seems to me like you guys are going out of your way to whine. They didn't explain why the green ranger became white when he got his new powers, or why the black ranger's thunderzord was mostly green, or why the pink ranger's ninja zord wasn't at all pink yet the toy of it was. This poo poo has been happening since the beginning because it's always been a show for small children who don't give a poo poo as long as the toys are cool.

EDIT: I'm not saying Super Megaforce is good. I'm saying the opposite. It's bad but Power Rangers has always been bad, so what can you expect.

It wasn't always this bad.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's insulting be a use they're lazy and cheap as gently caress when they know they could do better. It's insulting to kids because they treat kids like they're idiots. My 7 year old cousin knows all about sentai and power rangers. Kids are all on the internet nowadays. He loves both still but he still wonders why they just copy paste so much. He'll compare Zeo to Ohranger or Lost Galaxy to Samurai. The effort is lacking.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They loving don't.

lol this owns

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god. I just realized something.
The first appearance of the MMPR suits in Super Megaforce is going to be them getting their asses kicked.

Edit: And in Gokaiger they transformed to the Zyu suits from Dynaman and since Saban doesn't have the rights to pre-Zyu suits that means they're going to have to film original footage for it. Which means there's going to be this dramatic lead-in and then BAM cut to Sentai footage and they get curbstomped.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 22, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RBX posted:

It's insulting be a use they're lazy and cheap as gently caress when they know they could do better. It's insulting to kids because they treat kids like they're idiots. My 7 year old cousin knows all about sentai and power rangers. Kids are all on the internet nowadays. He loves both still but he still wonders why they just copy paste so much. He'll compare Zeo to Ohranger or Lost Galaxy to Samurai. The effort is lacking.

Yeah, they could get away with it in the early 90s because there was no way for us kids to know better. Plus, if I remember correctly, I think even the old series at least gave some justification for how they got their suits instead of Zordon just having them.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Saban doesn't have the rights to pre-Zyu suits

I don't know why they wouldn't. Disney scooped them up when they were still making Power Rangers to prevent other people from doing subbed DVD releases and presumably that would've gone across when Saban Brands got Power Rangers back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

I don't know why they wouldn't. Disney scooped them up when they were still making Power Rangers to prevent other people from doing subbed DVD releases and presumably that would've gone across when Saban Brands got Power Rangers back.
I heard they didn't get to keep them. But if that's the case I think it would be cool to see how many pre-Zyu teams get showcased in Super Megaforce before we actually see the MMPR suits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Something to keep in mind is that Gosei said new modeS in the plural. And the only post-Zyu pre-Gokai series that hasn't had an adaptation is Dai. Maybe they're just keeping it general, but it seems weird for them to keep one series in and edit out everything else.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Something to keep in mind is that Gosei said new modeS in the plural. And the only post-Zyu pre-Gokai series that hasn't had an adaptation is Dai. Maybe they're just keeping it general, but it seems weird for them to keep one series in and edit out everything else.
Go-Busters somehow shows up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Or Kakuranger. Nobody from Earth ever used the Aquitar Ranger Powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: Misread. They were still in a series and they were still seen on Earth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, they could get away with it in the early 90s because there was no way for us kids to know better. Plus, if I remember correctly, I think even the old series at least gave some justification for how they got their suits instead of Zordon just having them.

To go in order-while we technically didn't get new suits, we got new Powers with Season 3. And they had to go on a big rear end three part journey through a desert to find a super ninja master to get those because Zordon didn't just happen to have a spare set of powers laying around.

Zeo was built up, I'm not kidding, across MOST OF SEASON 3.

Turbo just kinda came the gently caress out of no where, and it's always been the low mark for it. The closest we've gotten to fan explanations has been "Billy might have worked on 'em."

And that's it.

Two cases of a lot of effort and work, one case of bullshit that STILL wasn't as bad as this nonsense. From there each power got their own backstory or whatever for different teams except In Space, which kinda still falls under that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And they at least called them the Turbo Rangers to give the barest lip service to the theme of Carranger, whereas there has been no mention of piracy anywhere in Super Mega even though the theme is more blatant and obvious.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

The Tommy didn't just change from Green to White out of no where though. The transition of him losing his powers lasted almost half a season and they gave an actual explanation for the new color. The Black Thunderzord happened to be black enough that no one really questioned it and the pink ninja zord was useless so no one cared what color it was.

The only real consistency with the writing on this show is how Gosei just randomly pulls powers and abilities out of his rear end at random intervals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, while it wasn't masterclass writing, the Green-to-White, or even the Dino-to-Thunder-to-Ninja, switch was done several orders of magnitude more organically than "Oh hey, here have these new powers, that happen to look like pirates, and also some keys or something"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Also there were times when the show was actually reasonably competently written and acted as far as children's toy commercials go. Of course that was pretty much just for the first few years after Disney took over but it still shows you can actually make a decent show out of Power Rangers if you have a production team that actually give a poo poo about what they're doing instead of just wanting to churnin out whatever as cheaply as possible.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok Goseiger your episode 7 won me over. You're ok in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

Also there were times when the show was actually reasonably competently written and acted as far as children's toy commercials go. Of course that was pretty much just for the first few years after Disney took over but it still shows you can actually make a decent show out of Power Rangers if you have a production team that actually give a poo poo about what they're doing instead of just wanting to churnin out whatever as cheaply as possible.

Season 3 of MMPR is an AMAZING Toku no matter what and I will hear nothing else.

Also In Space and Lost Galaxy.

And Time Force I guess.

• Locked thread