Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If nothing else I wish they would remove "friendly" Corpus/Grineer mobs from the minimap during invasions. It clutters up the minimap and further splinters the group who go off chasing that blue dot thinking it's a Nova who raced ahead.

Besides, it's completely pointless. Who gives a poo poo where these mobs are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I will defend my god given right to spam 3 vortexes at once and probably crash half my party. I have the right to bear wormholes dammit.

Honestly, I prefer energy to a MMO style global and local cooldowns, because it atleast lets the Warframes feel like they are what they're meant to be, insanely powerful pseudo-robotic superheroes.

Inevitably even the 5 global seconds you suggest for Vauban would end up with it feeling like a standard MMO mage build of "hit DPS button, wait for cooldowns"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Am I the only person happy with the current system? You want to cast more poo poo? Go fetch the fuel for it. Sounds pretty fair

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nitrox posted:

Am I the only person happy with the current system? You want to cast more poo poo? Go fetch the fuel for it. Sounds pretty fair

capitalism.txt

No, but seriously, this system kind of sucks because there isn't a reliable or consistent way to get energy to cast your powers, you just have to hope the stuff you're killing drops a blue orb instead of a red one, or ammo or some other poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nitrox posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with it. You can only do three things in this game: cast abilities, shoot badguys and run around. I dunno why you'd want to cut that down to two things while you wait for a clock to get to 0.

I dunno, I feel like people really want to up the "challenge" of the game, but I don't really see the point since the only way to do it is just make enemies increasingly strong until it just becomes dumb. I find it relaxing to just run around doing dumb stunts and being an invincible space-ninja.

EDIT: I would like to see the loot drop algorithm changed so it provides you with the stuff you need rather than ammo for guns you don't have and health while you haven't even gotten through your shield once, but I don't really ever have problems finding enough blue balls for it. I only ever really need to super-spam abilities in wave modes, when there are more than enough badguys blowing up to provide me with a pretty good stream.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I don't know, the criticism is fair because it makes it arbitrary when you can fund your skills and there's no real benefit to having players run around a room to pick up orbs or saying that they can't use super jump/worm hole/rip line until they next fight.

Between ammo, orbs and resources the game also gets filled with pickups. Reducing that number would be a good thing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I enjoy the current system but it has serious teething issues as they keep adding more stuff to the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The blue and red orbs are also really arbitrary. Ammo drops I sort of get (once you forget about a blue pack being anything from 20 grakata BBs to 20 ogris thermonuclear warheads) but the energy and health items are just these random disco balls that fly out of stuff and disappear when you run into them, making a noise that sounds better fit for a Star Wars game than warframe.

I guess you could band-aid that by just giving them a better model and presentation but I agree about the energy and health problems in general. Random pickups feel like a very work-in-progress way to handle that stuff that should be gone by now, but they've reinforced it by making Nekros and Oberon's powers have red disco balls as a selling point.

I don't think making a different system would force the game to be super hardcore and challenging all the time (it doesn't have to be) and would still let you screw around and have fun. But right now there's not even any reason (besides coolness) to be a badass space ninja because Nova still lets you press 4 anytime you feel like it to break the game in half. You can just stand still by a door, wait for the next turbo swarm, press 4 and click on them. Then continue to wait.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
But what does "being a badass space ninja" actually even mean in the game? I still run around like a goofy idiot jumping off of stuff even while I'm spamming Antimatter Prime.

Maybe when Melee 2.0 comes out (and is actually good) my opinion will change, but until then, unless you're playing Ash, you're really just generic space killing machine who can run fast even at the best of times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

The reason it's lovely is that you're perpetually starved for energy until you max an efficiency mod and everyone has maxed Energy Siphons, at which point you can spam your ult like nothing else, enemies drop energy faster than you can use it.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The reason it's lovely is that you're perpetually starved for energy until you max an efficiency mod and everyone has maxed Energy Siphons, at which point you can spam your ult like nothing else, enemies drop energy faster than you can use it.

Which is just how the ammo system works as when your fully modded gun is doing 10x as much damage you use 10x less ammo and the only weapons that struggle are the inefficient high fire rate/low damage per shot weapons. Then for some reason explosives get infinite ammo. DE design :downsowned:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The sissy way is with blue orbs or Energy Syphon. Real manly Nekros's max out equilibrium and cut themselves to get energy back! I also just got Rage but I haven't really played with it all yet.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Energy is inefficient until you have mods and the levels to slot it? Holy crap batman, that almost sounds like a progression system!

Sure, the energy could use a middle ground where you're not either starved for energy or swimming in blue balls like a denial fetishist, but I'll take a slightly screwy system over one that turns using the signature powers of a frame a goddamn clock watching simulator.

Honestly, I don't even run with Energy Syphon (mainly because I don't have it but whatever) and efficiency mods feel like plenty. Sure, I can't just spam all my abilities infinitely, but I still have plenty of abilities and don't feel like I'm being artificially restricted for no reason.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Big Floppy posted:

Well I kept getting the ce-34878-0 error code so often I am having to reinitialize the PS4.... So now I get to waste2hrs waiting for it to finish. I couldn't even last 18mins in a survival before crashing and even 10mins in a normal mobile defense today. So wiping it all out to redo it. Anyone else having the same error and found a fix? So many prime blueprints lost today because of this error and all those juicy mods.

I've had this once, and not had it since then thankfully. From what I read it's somewhat widespread and isn't limited to any particular game, and quite a few people get it when simply viewing screenshots. Sony are "investigating" (scare quotes courtesy of Eurogamer) so hopefully they sort it out with an update at some point but I'm not sure when because that was a month ago. The only advice I could find is to do the thing you're already doing.

I realise this probably isn't all that helpful but at least others are getting the same thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The main problem with the energy system as it is now is it puts all a warframe's abilities in competition with each other, which when combined with the general lack of balance to begin with just makes the gap between "exceptionally useful" and "horrific garbage" all the wider.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I hate that they added sentinel/sentinel item XP to the login rewards; my last three or four login rewards have all been those and it's not like I plan on using anything other than my max level carrier. :argh:

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Adding some sort of base regen (and maybe knocking energy siphon down a little bit to make up for it) would probably help the game in a lot of ways. Between maybe adding more variety to auras that people bring and making it so that people just starting out get to use their cool abilities (which actually feel powerful before you get good mods for your guns) more often, it seems like a win-win.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Good idea to put a catalyst on a jat kitang? Galatine?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Not sure about the JK, but the Galatine? Absolutely.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Jat Kittag is good to potato. It's decent non-charge heavy melee - not the best ever, but rewarding to use. It's also getting an animation overhaul with Melee 2.0.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Insert name here posted:

I hate that they added sentinel/sentinel item XP to the login rewards; my last three or four login rewards have all been those and it's not like I plan on using anything other than my max level carrier. :argh:

Forma that bad boy.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Forma that bad boy.

Level all the other sentinels for all the mastery! Don't forget their weapons, too... :shepicide:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

sushibandit posted:

Re: power balancing

- Tesla's only use is spamming the everliving poo poo out of it to make a big giant pile of the fuckers, a 5s local/global cooldown would make it meaningless outside of extremely low level content.
- Bounce only exists as a thing to make you jump up a bit, it's wholly inferior to even Tesla as a method of CC and such a cooldown would remove any/all of the "fun" you can sometimes have with it by making GBS threads them absolutely everywhere while also removing much of its utility because you kinda have to poo poo them a lot and relatively quickly if you're using them for movement.
- Bastille has a timer twice as long as its duration, pushing it into "only use when overwhelmed" territory, which it's not good for because it has a unit cap.
- Vortex does not have a unit cap but its tiny aoe compared to other ults means you're only able to lock down a small portion of the map so it's not particularly effective in the role either.

Instead of trying to make Warframe run on timers, let's think of ways to remove the RNG from the energy system(and nerf m. prime)!

One idea is granting a frame Energy per kill they make, with more stylish or difficult kills granting more energy. Stealth kills with melee weapons could grant piles of energy, as well as parry kills, Finishers, or hitting your target max on a Galatine/etc attack, and so on. Just shooting dudes wouldn't grant much EN, but headshots would grant more, and multikills(with non-aoe guns) could grant more. Shooting dudes through walls and stuff could give extra EN too, which would make +penetration much more useful on every weapon. Also, shooting dudes while parkouring and sliding and flying through the air and stuff should give bonus energy. These bonuses should stack with others(weak point, one-shot-kill, multikill, through-obstacle kills etc).

In this system things like Ogris and Penta and Ignis would be a little bit more balanced(sort of) because they would grant the least amount of energy on kills, while stuff like the Ballistica and Vectis etc would give a bunch more on average due to weak point/multikill bonuses, and Melee could grant the most of all, allowing brave players to sacrifice safety to fill the world with explosions or whatever.

Or they could put in a basic energy regen rate, eliminate Energy Siphon, and make every frame power useful instead of having like 40% of all frame powers be various shades of worthless. Also nerf Molecular Prime.

Or something else entirely! There's a world of ways to divorce RNG from Energy. And nerfing M Prime.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I don't like the idea of energy per kill because if would encourage more hallway heroes and gimp low level frames/weapons. The rich would just get richer while the poor slobs run to catch up.

I do think stuff like the energy aura and stuff like the serration mod should just be in the base game tho, given to players at a certain level or as rewards for completing planets.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Make it distribute energy to all players, like the way it distributes money to everyone when any one player picks up cash wads. Energy orbs already work like that- every player gets to pick up their own instance of the orb- so it's more or less the same thing.

I think I'd enjoy having the entire energy system replaced with Mass Effect style global cooldowns, but just making energy gain consistent would be plenty good enough. The majority of this game's issues with power management come from how idiotically random energy availability can be- even running around with 75% efficiency on every frame, it still bothers me how easy it is to go between 'nearly dead' and 'unstoppable god w/ spammable I Win button' solely based on the whim of blue ball drop RNG.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

DelphiAegis posted:

Level all the other sentinels for all the mastery! Don't forget their weapons, too... :shepicide:

Sentinels don't give mastery though? Unless it's changed recently.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kris xK posted:

I do think stuff like the energy aura and stuff like the serration mod should just be in the base game tho, given to players at a certain level or as rewards for completing planets.

Why? They add nothing, and if you're going to give them to the players anyway, why have them at all?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Inspector_666 posted:

You can only do three things in this game: cast abilities, shoot badguys and run around. I dunno why you'd want to cut that down to two things while you wait for a clock to get to 0.

Best thing posted on this page.

This particular co-op pve game doesn't need ~*~balance~*~.

e: to be clear, I'm not being sarcastic.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Third time the Harvester has spawned for me. Third loving time the son of a bitch didn't drop a god damned thing :argh:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Insert name here posted:

It's going on two months now and I haven't seen a 75% (or 50% for that matter) off coupon yet, and I've checked daily. Item experience is basically worthless, so the only useful things are potatoes, forma, and coupons. Login rewards v:geno:v

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 22, 2014

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Kris xK posted:

I don't like the idea of energy per kill because if would encourage more hallway heroes and gimp low level frames/weapons. The rich would just get richer while the poor slobs run to catch up.

Fair point about pubbies but it's not like they don't do that already and honestly standing on the pod/whatever is boring. edit: It's more of a level design problem.

Low level frames/weapons are going to be gimped until progression is made lateral instead of vertical. Or, I guess, made so tiny it's basically irrelevant.

Cathair posted:

Make it distribute energy to all players, like the way it distributes money to everyone when any one player picks up cash wads. Energy orbs already work like that- every player gets to pick up their own instance of the orb- so it's more or less the same thing.

I think I'd enjoy having the entire energy system replaced with Mass Effect style global cooldowns, but just making energy gain consistent would be plenty good enough. The majority of this game's issues with power management come from how idiotically random energy availability can be- even running around with 75% efficiency on every frame, it still bothers me how easy it is to go between 'nearly dead' and 'unstoppable god w/ spammable I Win button' solely based on the whim of blue ball drop RNG.

...or until they get a designated Carry, that works too. Good idea.

I have a question for the second part though: What's the difference between waiting for timers and being low on energy? This isn't the setup to a joke.

nerf m prime.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 22, 2014

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Denzine posted:

I have a question for the second part though: What's the difference between waiting for timers and being low on energy? This isn't the setup to a joke.

You have more choice in when and how to use your abilities in the current system than with an ME3 style cooldown system.

When I play Rhino and I get into deep poo poo, I can go Iron Skin -> Roar -> Stomp to basically get out of it. It burns through a lot of my energy, but it clears a room + gives me back my iron skin + buffs team damage. With a global cooldown system, I could do one of those things.

An ability-specific cooldown system would also work in much the same way as the current system, but that is way too complex for a game as frantic as this one.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

chumbler posted:

Why? They add nothing, and if you're going to give them to the players anyway, why have them at all?

Adding +165% to Rifle Damage is pointless? Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Kris xK posted:

Adding +165% to Rifle Damage is pointless? Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

It's pointless if everyone is given it. In that case, it should just be a baseline damage increase across the board for everyone. At least, that's what I took from it.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
To those of you posting nerf m prime, I ask "how".

It costs 100 energy, that wont change because DE has a hard on for power four ALWAYS costing 100.
It causes enemies to attack/move 50% slower. Removing this would have no real effect on the power.
It causes enemies to take double damage. This could be removed and make the power slightly more balanced.
It has a range of 25m for cast and 15m for the blast, maximized to ~59m and ~35m. Let us propose we cut the default range in half. Maximized it is still larger than the unnerfed default.
It does 800 damage on explosion unmodded. You could lower this and make maximized range less viable... and that's about it.
You can cast it in the air. So what?
You can cast it while enemies are under its effect. Removing this part of it is probably the only thing possible to nerf it without a complete overhaul.

Any other ideas?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Conot posted:

Energy is inefficient until you have mods and the levels to slot it? Holy crap batman, that almost sounds like a progression system!

It's as if this "progression system" completely trivialises the energy mechanic in the first place! It doesn't take a genius to see why having a limiting mechanic that is completely nullified by a few random drops is poo poo design.

Cooldowns aren't the solution either. They need to remove Energy Syphon and efficiency mods (or at least make them cap at something really low), put in a passive energy regen, and stop making every single ability cost one of three energy values instead of giving abilities different costs based on how useful/good they are.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tnega posted:

It costs 100 energy, that wont change because DE has a hard on for power four ALWAYS costing 100.
It causes enemies to attack/move 50% slower. Removing this would have no real effect on the power.
It causes enemies to take double damage. This could be removed and make the power slightly more balanced.
It has a range of 25m for cast and 15m for the blast, maximized to ~59m and ~35m. Let us propose we cut the default range in half. Maximized it is still larger than the unnerfed default.
It does 800 damage on explosion unmodded. You could lower this and make maximized range less viable... and that's about it.
You can cast it while enemies are under its effect. Removing this part of it is probably the only thing possible to nerf it without a complete overhaul.

Any other ideas?

Make it only affect a percentage of enemies in the radius? This also makes it more satisfying to kill a primed enemy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

denimgorilla posted:

It's pointless if everyone is given it. In that case, it should just be a baseline damage increase across the board for everyone. At least, that's what I took from it.

That plus if it's basically expected that people will have it in every single gun then it serves as nothing other than a time/credits/cores/mod points sink. It contributes to a lack of build variety for no gain and should just be removed along with its counterparts.

Tnega posted:

Any other ideas?

Fold its explosion function into the targets hit by null star and give Nova an entirely new ult. Personally I'd go for the proposed one way back during the early concept stage where she spawns a clone and has to run into it to make a big explosion.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Tnega posted:

Target cap. Do not allow it to be recast until primed enemies are dead or de-primed.

Alternatively, remove the explosion component entirely. A massive aoe 50% Slow 100% damage boost ult is still pretty excellent.

Remove it entirely and let Antimatter Drop be affected by range mods etc. to take its place as Nova's ult. Maybe give Null Star an explosion component like chumbler said.

There's probably better ways I haven't thought of.

chumbler posted:

That plus if it's basically expected that people will have it in every single gun then it serves as nothing other than a time/credits/cores/mod points sink. It contributes to a lack of build variety for no gain and should just be removed along with its counterparts.

I'd like to keep or have more ability to choose how my weapon's damage manifests. I ran a gimmick build 0-recoil, minimum-ROF grakata a while ago to test procs, and it was pretty cool going tak-tak-tak-tak on grineer heads.

I want that to be a possible useful build. I want to have that much control over my weapon's handling.

it'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So uh, can someone change my "J4G" title in the in-game clan list? I'm a real goon, I just forgot to post here when I applied to the clan. :downs:

Game name is Norpal.