Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haggins posted:

Go for the 85 1.8 since you currently have nothing longer than 50mm

This. 85 1.8 should be one of those lenses every Canon shooter buys (I still haven't bought one 'cos I keep borrowing it from a friend like a cheapass). It's such a good lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I owned it for awhile and sold it when I bought my 70-200 2.8 IS II. I still wish I had it and would like to eventually buy another copy.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

broken boy soldier posted:

This one in particular caught my eye:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1...=item3cdcb1120e

As far as high ISOs go, as a rule of thumb I never really shoot over the 1600 ISO mark and the majority of the work I will be doing won't be printed. So noise isn't a really big concern for me.

I don't see any mention of shutter actuations. I'm not sure if it is common to list on ebay sales, but it could be an important factor down the road to have an idea when the shutter will need replacing. I have a used 1D mk II N with about 50K actuations and just had a stuck shutter.

Also, something to consider is you'll want 2 new batteries. NP-E3 batteries from BH cost me $109 + shipping so they are not cheap. I have an off brand Lamar battery that doesn't sit flush in the body, so I swore off off brands. Also, there is no mention of an included charger which is also drat expensive for these batteries. Whether ebay or Craigs List, I feel better seeing photos of the actual item.

This sale seems a little more legit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-1DS-M...=item56619cf93a

Also it's hard to go wrong with Keh:
http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Digital/system-Canon-Digital/category-Camera-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=2&cc=2846&r=WG&f

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I guess that settles that then :v: Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be going with the 85.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

mrlego posted:

I don't see any mention of shutter actuations. I'm not sure if it is common to list on ebay sales, but it could be an important factor down the road to have an idea when the shutter will need replacing. I have a used 1D mk II N with about 50K actuations and just had a stuck shutter.

Also, something to consider is you'll want 2 new batteries. NP-E3 batteries from BH cost me $109 + shipping so they are not cheap. I have an off brand Lamar battery that doesn't sit flush in the body, so I swore off off brands. Also, there is no mention of an included charger which is also drat expensive for these batteries. Whether ebay or Craigs List, I feel better seeing photos of the actual item.

This sale seems a little more legit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-1DS-M...=item56619cf93a

Also it's hard to go wrong with Keh:
http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Digital/system-Canon-Digital/category-Camera-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=2&cc=2846&r=WG&f

Awesome, thank you for the information. They have similar pricing on Amazon through reliable dealers (with actual pictures and chargers and such included) so I think I may go that route. I would not have thought about the actuations so I will definitely keep an eye out on that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Awesome, thank you for the information. They have similar pricing on Amazon through reliable dealers (with actual pictures and chargers and such included) so I think I may go that route. I would not have thought about the actuations so I will definitely keep an eye out on that.

I wouldn't really worry about actuations so much with a 1 series. They're rated for like 200k and I've got a 1D mkIIn with a touch over 300k clicks still going strong. The 1Ds doesn't have fast burst so its not likely a used one is going to have a shitload of clicks on it. The one thing I would mention is that while the 1DsII is a good camera, its kind of overpriced for what it is imo and if you're going to spend ~1000 on a camera, you might as well save up for a little longer and get a used 5DmkII. There's a pretty big difference in features and quality and the resale value on the 5dII is much better. If you just want full frame with no extra features, don't care about high end autofocus or video and aren't really concerned about noise, you might as well save a few hundred bucks and get a 5D classic + a nice lens.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I wouldn't really worry about actuations so much with a 1 series. They're rated for like 200k and I've got a 1D mkIIn with a touch over 300k clicks still going strong. The 1Ds doesn't have fast burst so its not likely a used one is going to have a shitload of clicks on it. The one thing I would mention is that while the 1DsII is a good camera, its kind of overpriced for what it is imo and if you're going to spend ~1000 on a camera, you might as well save up for a little longer and get a used 5DmkII. There's a pretty big difference in features and quality and the resale value on the 5dII is much better. If you just want full frame with no extra features, don't care about high end autofocus or video and aren't really concerned about noise, you might as well save a few hundred bucks and get a 5D classic + a nice lens.

Is a 5D classic a big jump up in terms of quality when compared to the 1Ds? If so, that would actually be a really good option for me. As long as the autofocus system is at or above the quality of the 60D I am working with now I'll be fine. Noise and video is really a non-issue.

Oh and like I said earlier I haven't visited this subforum much so if these posts are at "just use google dummy" levels I completely understand and will do so. Thanks again for the tips.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Is a 5D classic a big jump up in terms of quality when compared to the 1Ds? If so, that would actually be a really good option for me. As long as the autofocus system is at or above the quality of the 60D I am working with now I'll be fine. Noise and video is really a non-issue.

Oh and like I said earlier I haven't visited this subforum much so if these posts are at "just use google dummy" levels I completely understand and will do so. Thanks again for the tips.

The biggest difference you'll have to get used to will be how little of the frame is covered by AF points in comparison to your 60D, IMO. Even if you used to shoot on a 35mm camera, use a crop DSLR for long enough exclusively, and it's really weird when you pick up a FF again.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The 60D will probably have a better AF system than the 5D simply because its newer and, like timrenzi said, the AF will cover more of the sensor. The 5D AF is fine as long as you don't need it for action or continuous tracking shots. The 1Ds mkII will have much better AF, a 100% viewfinder, weather proofing and a burly shutter. You can also crack someone over the skull with it and then take their picture. I was suggesting the 5Dc because it sounds like you don't have very demanding photography requirements and a limited budget. I've had both cameras and honestly the files were pretty similar to my eye.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Adding to 50 vs. 85 chat, I've got a trip to Iceland planned in a couple months and I want to get a new lens before I go. Right now the lenses I have are the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and the Canon 50 1.8. I probably won't be shooting many (if any) portraits over there, but for closeups/DOF, am I going to want to upgrade to the Canon 50 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8? I'll have landscapes covered with the wide end of my Tamron. I've read reviews on the 50 1.4 vs. the 85 1.8 and they both seem like great lenses in the same price range, but I haven't been able to tell which would be the better buy.
I'd get neither and go for a 35/2 IS. 85/1.8 is really kinda tight on APS-C, and if you're not shooting portraits that's half the use case gone.
If you want something longer I'd grab a EF-S zoom.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This. 85 1.8 should be one of those lenses every Canon shooter buys (I still haven't bought one 'cos I keep borrowing it from a friend like a cheapass). It's such a good lens.

The only thing I dislike with my 85 1.8 is the (sometimes severe) green/purple fringing when wide open, but at least it's correctable in post.

EDIT: vvvv But yeah, that contrast :D

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 21, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Adding to 50 vs. 85 chat, I've got a trip to Iceland planned in a couple months and I want to get a new lens before I go. Right now the lenses I have are the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and the Canon 50 1.8. I probably won't be shooting many (if any) portraits over there, but for closeups/DOF, am I going to want to upgrade to the Canon 50 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8? I'll have landscapes covered with the wide end of my Tamron. I've read reviews on the 50 1.4 vs. the 85 1.8 and they both seem like great lenses in the same price range, but I haven't been able to tell which would be the better buy.

I had both the Tamron 17-50 and the Canon 50 1.8, and I rarely used either of them. About 90% of the time I was using either the Sigma 30 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8. I hate noisy focusing motors, and the colors and contrast weren't as good with the cheaper lenses.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd get neither and go for a 35/2 IS. 85/1.8 is really kinda tight on APS-C, and if you're not shooting portraits that's half the use case gone.
If you want something longer I'd grab a EF-S zoom.
I already owned a 35/2 a few years ago and wasn't happy with its speed or the quality of the images it produced. It was the non IS model, but still. Going into it, I thought that would be an ideal length and I'd use that as my primary walkaround lens. Instead I ended up selling it after like a month.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have a Rokinon 35mm 1.4 I'm trying to sell if manual everything is ok.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I already owned a 35/2 a few years ago and wasn't happy with its speed or the quality of the images it produced. It was the non IS model, but still. Going into it, I thought that would be an ideal length and I'd use that as my primary walkaround lens. Instead I ended up selling it after like a month.
The old one is lovely so that's no surprise. I'd rent the new one for a bit.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am going to look at and hopefully buy a 5dc that I found on craigslist in a few hours. Is there anything I should specifically look for when inspecting it? I have only had mirrorless and film cameras so I am a little out of my league in terms of what I might skip when looking at a big DSLR.

I am buying it from the original owner, estimates 15k to 20k shutter actuations and has never had any problems with it since buying it. The fifth number if the serial is "4" so it should not have the issues that the earlier 5ds had. All the original stuff that came with the camera and 5 batteries for 500 bucks.

I just got a Tamron 24-70 2.8 in the mail today to use in this so I am super psyched to hopefully get this, but I don't want that to blind me to anything when looking over the camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rio posted:

All the original stuff that came with the camera and 5 batteries for 500 bucks.
That's a drat good deal

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Nice. For that money you could have gotten...my used 60D :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One more question about the 85 1.8 before I pull the trigger: Does it do macro?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

One more question about the 85 1.8 before I pull the trigger: Does it do macro?

Max Mag is 1:7 , so nope. You can get some extension tubes though, It probably does 1:1 or close to it with a whole stack of them. None of Canon's macros are fast lenses - there's the ef-s 60/2.8 , the 100/2.8 (L and non L) , and the 180/3.5

Edit: And the 50 which isn't 1:1 without extra bits, and the MP-E which is more of a microscope lens than a macro lens

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If you want Macro get the Tamron 60/2.

EDIT: Assuming you're still on a crop body.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 21, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you want Macro get the Tamron 60/2.

EDIT: Assuming you're still on a crop body.
Yeah, I'm on a T2i.

Is it as fast as the 85 1.8? Or about as fast? I'm checking out some sample shots and they look pretty nice and I definitely think I could use it for some good closeup shots when I go to Iceland. Does anyone here have one? And if so, are you happy with it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's my main portrait lens on a 70D and the macro stuff is fun to play around with.

I'm not entirely sure the exact technical comparisons, but I do know that it's a very highly recommended lens and I've had a great experience with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm reading reviews and looking at more sample shots and the Tamron 60/2 Macro looks incredible and just like what I'm looking for as far as DOF/sharpness/being a good portrait lens too/etc., so I think I may go with this one instead of the 85 1.8 unless other opinions dissuade me from doing so.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I don't know about the Tamron but if you are looking for a lens more for close up you can't go wrong with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro. Its surgically sharp and doubles as a great telephoto portrait lens. I only sold mine because I got a 70-200 2.8 and thought I didn't want to do macro anymore. Still kicking myself for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I don't know about the Tamron but if you are looking for a lens more for close up you can't go wrong with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro. Its surgically sharp and doubles as a great telephoto portrait lens. I only sold mine because I got a 70-200 2.8 and thought I didn't want to do macro anymore. Still kicking myself for that.
Okay, yeah, now I'm looking at sample shots for the Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro and this is pretty baller too, and more expensive than the others but not totally out of my price range.

How's the focusing on this one compared to the Tamron 60 f/2 Macro and the Canon 85 f/1.8?

e: But I'm also going to have to be preeeeeetty far away from subjects since this is 100mm + crop factor, right? :(

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 22, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
100mm will be pretty tight on a crop body. You can basically kiss all your indoor stuff goodbye. Really it just depends on what you're mostly using it for. I used an 85/1.8 for a while and I got annoyed at how much back-stepping I'd have to do for casual social photography. I can only imagine what that'd be like with the 100.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, it's already kind of tight doing indoor stuff with my 50 1.8. A 60 wouldn't be too much more than that, but I feel like with 100, it'd become much more of a nuisance. Even outdoors, I'd have to backpedal a fair amount because of my crop body.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I though I remembered seeing some graphs of used camera prices over time that had various 'events', like new camera releases and announcements posted here, but can not find the post. I looked at canonpricewatch thinking that was the site they came from, but didn't have any luck. Does anyone know what I am talking about, or did I dream it?

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah, it's already kind of tight doing indoor stuff with my 50 1.8. A 60 wouldn't be too much more than that, but I feel like with 100, it'd become much more of a nuisance. Even outdoors, I'd have to backpedal a fair amount because of my crop body.

If I could go back and do it again, I would've gotten a 60mm macro rather than 100. I find 100 to be really awkward on crop- too much for regular shots of people, etc, and not long enough for real telephoto. Consider too that a 60mm will get more effect from the same extension tubes, so you could get 2x magnification pretty easily.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I've got my 5d and I've got my Tamron 24-70 2.8 IS - I'm in love!

I still have to decide on what to do for a longer lens and luckily don't have a ton of choices but I am torn. My initial thought was to get a canon 70-200 2.8 is (the first one). But that will tap out my remaining budget - KEH has bargain grade ones for below 1300. Alternatively, I could go for something like an 85 1.8 or 135 f2 used and have some money left over for things like some basic lighting (I have none and am pretty comfortable with natural light right now but I should probably get a speedlite huh?). I think I may regret the 85 since it it too close to max of 70 with my current lens, and the 135 sounds good but I might miss the range and flexibility of the zoom.

And regarding a speedlite, I have no idea what are some good options to look at.

Any thoughts?

rio fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 24, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rio posted:

I've got my 5d and I've got my Tamron 24-70 2.8 IS - I'm in love!

I still have to decide on what to do for a longer lens and luckily don't have a ton of choices but I am torn. My initial thought was to get a canon 70-200 2.8 is (the first one). But that will tap out my remaining budget - KEH has bargain grade ones for below 1300. Alternatively, I could go for something like an 85 1.8 or 135 f2 used and have some money left over for things like some basic lighting (I have none and am pretty comfortable with natural light right now but I should probably get a speedlite huh?). I think I may regret the 85 since it it too close to max of 70 with my current lens, and the 135 sounds good but I might miss the range and flexibility of the zoom.

And regarding a speedlite, I have no idea what are some good options to look at.

Any thoughts?

You could pick up a used 100-400 (ex are 800-900 on keh) or the new tammy 150-600. Or if you want a seriously awesome but low cost lens, the canon 200/2.8 is a bargain for what it is. It's very close to being as sharp contrasty and awesome as the 135, a bit longer albeit a stop slower, and goes for like 600 bucks used. It's a hell of a lot more compact than any 70-200 zoom too.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'd stick to faster lenses since you can't push the ISO on the 5dc as well as newer cameras. The 135/2 is my absolute favorite lens, it's basically stuck on my camera permanently. I got mine off the Canon refurb store for something like $800, and it's a real bargain for the amount of cool poo poo you can do with it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Canon's considering ditching the P&S camera business.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-lets-go-low-priced-compact-camera-market/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

To nobody with a clue's surprise. It's low margin to begin with, and a phone's always better to share stuff (what 99% of people want to do with their pictures).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Well as much as I complain about Canon, I just pulled the trigger on the 6D + 24-105 + Pro 100 Printer + 32GB SD card + Paper + some print order thing all for just $2100 after a $400 mail in rebate. Pretty killer deal.

I'm going to sell off all my crop gear (50D, Tamron 17-50, Sigma 8-16) in the thread tonight once I get some photos up. I was going to hawk the kit 24-105 and buy a 24-70 II, but I think I'll play with it a bit before I shell out the money for the 24-70. Who knows, I may just like it enough to keep it and then I can buy some new strobes or something else.

I went ahead and ordered an extra battery. I normally buy the el-cheapos for $5 but it seems like that option is $30 with the 6D. I read some reviews and some people said that the knock offs didn't hold as much charge as the OEM. I just went ahead and got another OEM for $60.

Now all I need is a SD card. Any suggestions on a good SD card for the 6D? I know it comes with one but I'd like a good 64gb.

Combat Pretzel posted:

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-lets-go-low-priced-compact-camera-market/

The big thing in the article is "the under $200 P&S market". As evil_bunnY said, the low end is being served well by smart phones and those people aren't interested in carrying around another device just for pictures. I'm still excited about what they're doing their high end point and shoots. The G1X II looks amazing.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

Well as much as I complain about Canon, I just pulled the trigger on the 6D + 24-105 + Pro 100 Printer + 32GB SD card + Paper + some print order thing all for just $2100 after a $400 mail in rebate. Pretty killer deal.

I'm going to sell off all my crop gear (50D, Tamron 17-50, Sigma 8-16) in the thread tonight once I get some photos up. I was going to hawk the kit 24-105 and buy a 24-70 II, but I think I'll play with it a bit before I shell out the money for the 24-70. Who knows, I may just like it enough to keep it and then I can buy some new strobes or something else.

I went ahead and ordered an extra battery. I normally buy the el-cheapos for $5 but it seems like that option is $30 with the 6D. I read some reviews and some people said that the knock offs didn't hold as much charge as the OEM. I just went ahead and got another OEM for $60.

Now all I need is a SD card. Any suggestions on a good SD card for the 6D? I know it comes with one but I'd like a good 64gb.

The big thing in the article is "the under $200 P&S market". As evil_bunnY said, the low end is being served well by smart phones and those people aren't interested in carrying around another device just for pictures. I'm still excited about what they're doing their high end point and shoots. The G1X II looks amazing.

I use the 80MB/s sandisk extreme "plus" with my 70D, and it works a treat - you can shoot jpeg pretty much forever without the buffer backing up, and RAWs are 21 or so before it slows down, and it clears up fine in a few seconds. Which DIGIC is the 6d? I think 5 wont get anything out of faster than 45mb/s, and 5+ the 80mb/s

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

B&H says DIGIC 5+.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

B&H says DIGIC 5+.

Should be golden with the extreme plus then, I don't 5+ can write fast enough to take advantage of the extreme pro , and the plus is significantly cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Perfect, got the sandisk extreme + 64gb for like $87 off amazon. Should be all I need unless I go on some long trip. Thanks.