Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus posted:

JCA50, 50 watt 6L6 on the bright side of things
I'd lean towards the Suhr myself, SHO second but I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the TS stuff.

Have you thought about a straight up clean boost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iostream.h posted:

I'd lean towards the Suhr myself, SHO second but I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the TS stuff.

Have you thought about a straight up clean boost?

I have but I don't have the parts to build one or the money to buy one right now. Otherwise I'd roll with something fancy like the EP Boost or maybe that new Klone.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Do you guys have any thoughts between the Akai Head Rush and a Line6 DL4? The delay would be a major bonus, but my main concern is how easy it will be to make rhythmically competent loops while playing live.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

CisSTAR 19 posted:

Do you guys have any thoughts between the Akai Head Rush and a Line6 DL4? The delay would be a major bonus, but my main concern is how easy it will be to make rhythmically competent loops while playing live.

There are guys who swear by the Head Rush but the DL4 seems to be the standard for guys who don't have a dedicated looping unit (especially because of the speed and reverse options). Neither of them has quantization and I don't think either has a MIDI clock (I could be wrong about that) so how good the loops are rhythmically is mostly dependent on your ability to stomp and count time and loop in general. Both of them are just sound-on-sound so your overall loop quality is dependent upon not loving up.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

CisSTAR 19 posted:

I have two DL4s that I use for live looping, mainly to take advantage of the speed/one hit functions; I can record a quick sample on each one and then play "riffs" with them (a la Dave Knudson from Minus the Bear). Putting them in delay mode is nice too, and gives me either three or six more delay effects (in addition to my DD20 and Memory Man).

Actually recording loops is really hard though, at least in a band. Even when we play to a click the loop still drifts off tempo.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Yarbald posted:

I have two DL4s that I use for live looping, mainly to take advantage of the speed/one hit functions; I can record a quick sample on each one and then play "riffs" with them (a la Dave Knudson from Minus the Bear). Putting them in delay mode is nice too, and gives me either three or six more delay effects (in addition to my DD20 and Memory Man).

Actually recording loops is really hard though, at least in a band. Even when we play to a click the loop still drifts off tempo.

that and unless you have your DL4 modded, there is a noticeable volume drop when in loop mode

That being said if you are interested in one, I have one for sale. non modded though and their switches are notoriously poor.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Emailed away! You're an awesome dude!

Hope you like spiders because I just sent you a box full of them.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Real post though, its a bass big muff. Don't worry that it has bass in its name because I never used it with a bass in my life and neither has anyone I have ever met. Its based on the Russian big muff so yeah. Have fun when it gets there. :cumpolice:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Real post though, its a bass big muff. Don't worry that it has bass in its name because I never used it with a bass in my life and neither has anyone I have ever met. Its based on the Russian big muff so yeah. Have fun when it gets there. :cumpolice:

That's super-duper awesome. You are an awesome dude. I'll have to send a care package or something to you when I have the money! I will have the most fun.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'll take a Big Muff too, please.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Koth posted:

I'll take a Big Muff too, please.

Wait a bit and I might do a thing where that's a possibility :bape:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I have but I don't have the parts to build one or the money to buy one right now. Otherwise I'd roll with something fancy like the EP Boost or maybe that new Klone.
You build pedals?
If you want to trade work for an EP or something, we might should talk.
iostream.header at the gee males if you're interested.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I've got an EHX Hog that won't seem to allow a signal to pass through it. It powers on and switches modes, etc with no issues. If I unplug the output cable, there's no noise, so I'd guess that the signal is being stopped somewhere before that. If I set a tuner up before the hog (Amp -> Tuner -> Hog -> Guitar), the tuner detects nothing when notes are played.

Any suggestions?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Open it up and see if the wires have decided to come off of the input or output jacks.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Stravinsky posted:

Open it up and see if the wires have decided to come off of the input or output jacks.

this or the solder could be lose on one of them.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Or at one of the pots.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

:doh:

I'll check this out + report back when I get home later. Excited at the prospect of getting this thing working again.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iostream.h posted:

You build pedals?
If you want to trade work for an EP or something, we might should talk.
iostream.header at the gee males if you're interested.

Ha, I don't have my soldering iron or I would've taken you up on this. I ended up using the Riot clone and that worked really well (gain at about two, tone at 0, output dimed) and my other guitarist had an actual Riot so we had a good laugh about that. Then I broke the footswitch and he let me use his MXR Distortion+ which worked even better so I'll probably just end up rolling with that or a DOD 250 when I get around to planting that money tree.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does anyone know if an inexpensive looping pedal exists? Why is the cheapest one $150?

Someone should create a kickstarter campaign, and make a simple, barebones looping pedal that will cost $50-75. It would make a bloody killing.

Surely the circuitry cant be that costly? Put it in an unpainted plastic danelectro pedal case for all I care.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Does anyone know if an inexpensive looping pedal exists? Why is the cheapest one $150?

Someone should create a kickstarter campaign, and make a simple, barebones looping pedal that will cost $50-75. It would make a bloody killing.

Surely the circuitry cant be that costly? Put it in an unpainted plastic danelectro pedal case for all I care.

The new JamMan Express is $100 and you can find used Boss RC-2s for around $70. If you've already got a laptop that you don't mind gigging with, the cheapest option is Mobius and a USB footswitch (Mobius is free and the footswitch might run you 16 bucks if you're just using a one-button rig). You've also got the iOS options (Loopy and Everyday Looper are both excellent products).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

The new JamMan Express is $100 and you can find used Boss RC-2s for around $70. If you've already got a laptop that you don't mind gigging with, the cheapest option is Mobius and a USB footswitch (Mobius is free and the footswitch might run you 16 bucks if you're just using a one-button rig). You've also got the iOS options (Loopy and Everyday Looper are both excellent products).

I got Loopy for my iPhone, i'm already using apps like JamUP. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used RC-2. Thanks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It arrived!

Stravinsky is the best person ever. Forgot my cable at a friend's house but tomorrow I'ma plug this sucker in and go nuts.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

Yeah, I'd check out an RC-2 down by the bay. I currently use one of these at home for goofing around w/ and it's pretty nice for that. I don't have any personal experience with the TC Electronics Ditto, but I've seen it demoed and it looks fine + also seems to fit your budget (used 70-80$)

Postmaster GBS fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 3, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

It arrived!

Stravinsky is the best person ever. Forgot my cable at a friend's house but tomorrow I'ma plug this sucker in and go nuts.

gl hf :yoshi:

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I used to have an old Mister Crybaby volume/wah back in the day. It was super useful and I played it alot, but I had to sell it, along with most of my pedals. I've replaced most of them, but the Mister Crybabys are rare and expensive now, and I'm having trouble finding something similar. Any recommendations, or should I just bite the bullet and ebay one?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, so I got that Joyo Sweet Baby a couple weeks ago and it's not really doing it for me so I'm looking for a replacement. I mean, it's not bad and certainly produces a nice tone for the price, just not one that fits with what I'm going for.

I watched videos/listened to samples of the rest of the Joyo pedals and the only one that really grabbed me was the Us Dream, but the more I listened to it, I got the feeling it wouldn't work for me. Looked up several others (I thought the Behringer VT999 Tube Monster was a strong contender for a little while but eventually ruled that one out too), and now I think I'm trying to decide between the Boss OS-2 and the DS-2. I'm leaning more towards the OS-2 since it's kind of an all-in-one distortion and overdrive pedal and you can blend the two sounds nicely, but from what I've heard, it sounds like I'll be using the middle to the distortion side of the Color knob more than the overdrive side. The DS-2 sounds like it has a lot of potential too, but it's hard to get a feel for what will go best with the sound I'm looking to achieve (post-rock/ambient/atmospheric), especially since none of the videos on YouTube or demos on SoundCloud include anything remotely close to the type of sound I want to get.

What do you guys think would be the better buy of those 2? Or should I be looking at something else entirely? Like I said earlier in the thread, I've owned a Big Muff Pi, a RAT2, a You Dirty Rat, an SD-1 and a couple of other distortion/overdrive pedals over the years and haven't been super thrilled by any of them. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the kind of pedal I'm looking for, I guess because I've never found it, but I feel like I'd be able to know it when I heard it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 27, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Alright, so I got that Joyo Sweet Baby a couple weeks ago and it's not really doing it for me so I'm looking for a replacement. I mean, it's not bad and certainly produces a nice tone for the price, just not one that fits with what I'm going for.

I watched videos/listened to samples of the rest of the Joyo pedals and the only one that really grabbed me was the Us Dream, but the more I listened to it, I got the feeling it wouldn't work for me. Looked up several others (I thought the Behringer VT999 Tube Monster was a strong contender for a little while but eventually ruled that one out too), and now I think I'm trying to decide between the Boss OS-2 and the DS-2. I'm leaning more towards the OS-2 since it's kind of an all-in-one distortion and overdrive pedal and you can blend the two sounds nicely, but from what I've heard, it sounds like I'll be using the middle to the distortion side of the Color knob more than the overdrive side. The DS-2 sounds like it has a lot of potential too, but it's hard to get a feel for what will go best with the sound I'm looking to achieve (post-rock/ambient/atmospheric).

What do you guys think would be the better buy of those 2? Or should I be looking at something else entirely? Like I said earlier in the thread, I've owned a Big Muff Pi, a RAT2, a You Dirty Rat, an SD-1 and a couple of other distortion/overdrive pedals over the years and haven't been super thrilled by any of them. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the kind of pedal I'm looking for, I guess because I've never found it, but I feel like I'd be able to know it when I heard it.
Can you describe the sound or crunch you're looking for more? I have the US Dream, Ultimate Drive, and OS-2. US Dream is a bit more open than the Ultimate Drive, which is a lot thicker and has more butt to it. The OS-2 is tighter and more defined by comparison(usually keep flavor knob at 3/4 towards distortion), with the overdrive side being nice for flexibility, but I don't think it'll be better than a separate overdrive only pedal. That said, I haven't hooked them up for a while since my room's a mess, but I can check them out again if you want.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

duckfarts posted:

Can you describe the sound or crunch you're looking for more? I have the US Dream, Ultimate Drive, and OS-2. US Dream is a bit more open than the Ultimate Drive, which is a lot thicker and has more butt to it. The OS-2 is tighter and more defined by comparison(usually keep flavor knob at 3/4 towards distortion), with the overdrive side being nice for flexibility, but I don't think it'll be better than a separate overdrive only pedal. That said, I haven't hooked them up for a while since my room's a mess, but I can check them out again if you want.
Well I want something brighter and clearer, not muddy like the Ultimate Drive sounded to me, but something that still has some punch. So I guess I want a nice high-end while retaining low-end but without sounding too thick and muddy? If such a pedal even exists, but it probably does since some of these I've been researching seem to get close to what I'm looking for.

I remember the Big Muff and RATs that I owned previously seemed to really bring out the high end but there was no low end to them and that's why I ditched them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Looking for some distortion/fuzz to stick in front if my OR15. It's a really picky amp to get dirt going with so Id like specific suggestions that you know work. My best luck so far has been EP boost -> Green Rhino but I need one stage past that to take me into further textured sounds. True bypass and reasonably quiet are +++

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Kilometers Davis posted:

Looking for some distortion/fuzz to stick in front if my OR15. It's a really picky amp to get dirt going with so Id like specific suggestions that you know work. My best luck so far has been EP boost -> Green Rhino but I need one stage past that to take me into further textured sounds. True bypass and reasonably quiet are +++

If it's in your budget, I'd check out a Timmy. PaulC offers a 7-day return window in case you think it sucks, and there pretty much isn't a wait list anymore. It is very good at boosting amps that already sound good overdriven and giving them even more of THAT. Was originally designed with Paul's Marshall Super Bass, if I remember correctly, and while it's had some stuff massaged over the years it is still very good at boosting and adding some nice crunching up to mid-bass heavier amps. It is very quiet in terms of signal to noise, when used subtly, though it can definitely get noticeable really fast, and definitely true bypass.

Another great option in the affordable-but-amazing price bracket is the Barber Gain Changer, which includes the ULTD setting that is one of my favorite sounding overdrives as well.

I could point you to a bevvy of used Wamplers to look out for, but I think they'd mostly go for a higher price than the new price of either the Timmy or the Gain Changer.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to get myself a distortion suited to heavy metal playing similar to the record below through a fairly clean Vox amp. I understand I'm not going to get that exact sound, of course, but it seems like a MXR M75 or Rat2 is probably what I need. Any thoughts on others I should check out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xwvwx5BZY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

rt4 posted:

I'd like to get myself a distortion suited to heavy metal playing similar to the record below through a fairly clean Vox amp. I understand I'm not going to get that exact sound, of course, but it seems like a MXR M75 or Rat2 is probably what I need. Any thoughts on others I should check out?

EHX Metal Muff might be worth looking into, as would the MXR Distortion III.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHgyS1h0oII

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

rt4 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1_Jg1r3l0

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed posted:

If it's in your budget, I'd check out a Timmy. PaulC offers a 7-day return window in case you think it sucks, and there pretty much isn't a wait list anymore. It is very good at boosting amps that already sound good overdriven and giving them even more of THAT. Was originally designed with Paul's Marshall Super Bass, if I remember correctly, and while it's had some stuff massaged over the years it is still very good at boosting and adding some nice crunching up to mid-bass heavier amps. It is very quiet in terms of signal to noise, when used subtly, though it can definitely get noticeable really fast, and definitely true bypass.

Another great option in the affordable-but-amazing price bracket is the Barber Gain Changer, which includes the ULTD setting that is one of my favorite sounding overdrives as well.

I could point you to a bevvy of used Wamplers to look out for, but I think they'd mostly go for a higher price than the new price of either the Timmy or the Gain Changer.

You're the best, as always. I'll look into to each of these and add them to the interest rotation. I've always been highly curious about Wampler so maybe it's time to check one out. lol money lol.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

You're the best, as always. I'll look into to each of these and add them to the interest rotation. I've always been highly curious about Wampler so maybe it's time to check one out. lol money lol.

Before you scratch your head trying to figure it out, you can get in touch with PaulC about the Timmy at 615-896-8555. That's how he sells 'em direct. Otherwise, there are several retailers out there who carry them, and as I understand it the lack of a waitlist for them now means you can actually find them at retailers fairly reliably (they may have longer try-me periods, or whom you may just prefer for some reason). That said, if I had my 'druthers I'd tell you to go to Paul directly, because it's the single thing that puts food on the table for his wife and kids and yet he will still spend time before there's any guarantee of a sale, or even try to talk you out of buying it if he feels like it's not a very good fit for your amp (and he'll take the time to explain why, too). That said, I think it's a GREAT fit for Oranges, personally, works very well with their inherent EQ qualities and ends up being a very good comprehensive OD. Even has adjustable clipping diodes on the faceplate, with the options being 1 diode (asymmetrical clipping, which works better with some amps than the symmetrical clipping modes), no diodes (full on op-amp clipping, symmetrical but more open-sounding and less compressed and also less crunch available), or 2 diodes (symmetrical, but smoother and more compressed clipping character).

It was built from the ground up to be both a 12dB clean boost - setting the gain fully counterclockwise and raising the level control, with full EQ functionality in that mode - as well as a nice sounding OD for an amp, especially an amp that's already driving to some degree. As you raise the gain you basically just get "more" of your amp. Because it was intended to be a full range clean boost, the frequency top for the treble is 10.6KHz with a rolloff of 6dB/decade, which is extremely high for guitar frequencies and just ensures that no content is lost in clean boost mode. So if you get one, feel perfectly free to turn the Treble control to some more extreme settings.

It is probably the single most copied pedal design around besides the Tubescreamer, and lately, it's giving the good ol' TS a run for its money, with all sorts of boutique companies taking his sub-$130 pedal, changing the tone pots to operate in a conventional clockwise=more rotation (the Timmy uses inverse pots for his very cool pre and post clipping tone stack, so fully counterclockwise they're letting through all frequencies; fully clockwise is the most cut they do).

Most clones (usually within the boutique pedal ecosystem, as it were, somewhat ironically but mostly just a bummer) cut the treble range down to under 3KHz max, which leads to a frustrating situation when trying to explain to them things like "you can get that exact same sound with the Timmy that the circuit is cloned from, all you have to do is turn the treble pot way clockwise to bring the treble don" :v:

Anyway, while they aren't going for more than they're sold for on resale (like they did when there was a waitlist), PaulC does still do the return for a refund option, seven day trial period; and they do retain their value second hand. Also a fun pedal to swap op-amps with, I can give you a list of some that Paul's used in various special-purpose Tims and Timmies over time and some other popular ones if you end up going with it.

I'm a bit of a fan of this particular overdrive, as you may have picked up on. :shepface: It's definitely in my absolute, bar-none top three favorite dirt pedals of all time. And I have tried a lot of dirt pedals.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 28, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Adding to Agreed comments, the Timmy pedal is the #1 pedal posters on The Gear Page will not shut the gently caress up about, so that's a recommendation I suppose?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

duckfarts posted:

Adding to Agreed comments, the Timmy pedal is the #1 pedal posters on The Gear Page will not shut the gently caress up about, so that's a recommendation I suppose?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc motherduckfarts, just because TGP cottoned onto the Timmy pretty heavily after it started getting made doesn't mean that the Timmy has anything to do with TGP or that, you know, crowd.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

TGP or that, you know, crowd.
Sometimes I catch myself dismissing, rather than cottoning to, a piece of gear specifically because I see it hyped so much over there.

In all honesty, it's very likely where my utter, frothing hatred of Bigsby trems comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
TGP/SS.org/etc are pretty interesting case studies in mass psychology.