Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah I really have no idea what's going on with Sei. Back at the beginning I figured he'd eventually learn how to become a better fighter (maybe make the whole thing a critique of the franchise's obsession with copying UC), but no it really looks like he's just gonna stick with being a builder. He had kind of a neat moment when he realized he didn't have to stick so closely to the canon, but he hasn't done much since then but be Reiji's foil.

I guess Reiji is the actual main character and Sei is just the viewpoint?

Though episodes 6-19 have literally all just been continuing setup for whatever climax BF is building up to, so we could still see Sei do something yet.

EDIT: Now that I really think about it, is there anything left for Sei? He doesn't have anything in his backstory that needs to be resolved, he found his ideal fighter and achieved new heights as a builder, he already loved gunpla, and the lack of bullshit drama in his relationship with China also means that they're basically set. The only thing really left is him learning how to control gunpla as well as his dad, but that would be pretty drat awkward after 19 episodes of Reiji piloting. Dude basically sped through his entire character arc in the first five episodes.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

He could freak out when he finds out whatever Reiji's deal is since he just thinks he's bullshitting him right now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TARDISman posted:

He could freak out when he finds out whatever Reiji's deal is since he just thinks he's bullshitting him right now.

Doubt it'll last for more than five minutes since Reiji didn't actually lie to him or anyhing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Reiji's homeworld is saturated in Plavsky particles and as a result is just one huge Gunpla Battle stage; Sei is offered a deal to become a one-man superweapons factory. He ultimately chooses the purity of make-believe Gunpla battles over helping escalate a real war. That would pretty disappointing if they pulled an accidental Last Starfighter like that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah I really have no idea what's going on with Sei.

It's always been a two protagonist show.

Sei's had some minor development here and there. During the Fellini fight he realized that he had to be willing to let the Star Build blow up if that's what it took to win and he's become more trusting of Reiji in a lot of ways(he asked Reiji to help fix the Star Build's arm in this episode). He's already a pretty well adjusted if super nerdy kid so there's not much left to really do with him besides "Man I want to win this tournament!". Reiji still has whatever the hell his past is to get through and the inevitable angst over Aila.

We've sort of moved into the Shuffle Alliance arc of the show where the episodes are focusing way more on the supporting cast and what makes them tick than on the protagonists, though. Presumably Reiji's deal will be the climax.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So what exactly was Baker's "dastardly plan" of a time-out supposed to achieve? Hope Nils gets the Sengoku Astray fixed up better than the Sei does with the SBS?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe it was just give Nils a chance instead of being nibbled to death by Star Build's head vulcans? :v:

She's not very good at dastardly plans it seems, usually they seem to amount to "hope really hard Sei and Reiji lose".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe it was just give Nils a chance instead of being nibbled to death by Star Build's head vulcans? :v:

She's not very good at dastardly plans it seems, usually they seem to amount to "hope really hard Sei and Reiji lose".

I'm expecting the Miss Sazabi to be hers, and die inside of two minutes of the fight starting. Also, anyone else think the Qubely Papillion is just ugly as hell?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm expecting the Miss Sazabi to be hers, and die inside of two minutes of the fight starting. Also, anyone else think the Qubely Papillion is just ugly as hell?

No. Qubeley's a great unit and the Papillion is the first one with a not garbage color scheme.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So what exactly was Baker's "dastardly plan" of a time-out supposed to achieve? Hope Nils gets the Sengoku Astray fixed up better than the Sei does with the SBS?

The time-out was a panicked "oh poo poo, pull the plug and give Nils a breather because he's going to lose" thing from Baker, I think.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Qubeley is one of my favorite UC suits ever and I love the Papillion, the only problem I have with it is the HG Gundam SEED level of stickers on the kit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Qubeley was one of the first HGs, that's just how it goes. Exia Dark Matter's gonna be pretty lovely too unless they base it more off the R2's HG than the original Exia's.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TARDISman posted:

The Qubeley is one of my favorite UC suits ever and I love the Papillion, the only problem I have with it is the HG Gundam SEED level of stickers on the kit.

I like the Papillion overall but the head/face is ugly. Weird looking sunglasses on a huge chinface. I'm probably going to get it eventually but its not on my hot sheet.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That shot of Baker after Reiji & Sei's win is probably my new favorite moment of this show.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I kind of didn't feel the fight for this episode, it didn't feel quite as spectacular as the previous ones. Also, I almost always keep cheering on the opponent instead of the protagonist. I think Nils' goals are perfectly reasonable by themselves. :colbert: I almost laughed out loud by the clacking of his... traditional Japanese shoes, though.

Bimmi posted:

What the gently caress is Moomin doing there?

I had to watch this god drat episode early just because of this (I missed the screenshot). Moomin is/was supposed to be quite popular in Japan, and, well, Aila and Moomin come from the same place, I guess? :shrug: For the record, imagine my shock how my childhood memories were utterly corrupted when as a long-time anime hater (Dude, Pokémon as a kid made me want to stab my eyes) I realized Moomin the animated series was animated in Japan. :negative:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dessel posted:

Also, I almost always keep cheering on the opponent instead of the protagonist.

Same here and it's not like I'm cheering for them because they are the underdog either. This show has been good about not letting the minor characters be little more than speed bumps for the main characters on the road to the final countdown. Sure there has been some one-shot matches here and there but especially as we get into these finals we are shown why the best of the best belong in the top 16 and top 8.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dessel posted:

I kind of didn't feel the fight for this episode, it didn't feel quite as spectacular as the previous ones. Also, I almost always keep cheering on the opponent instead of the protagonist. I think Nils' goals are perfectly reasonable by themselves. :colbert: I almost laughed out loud by the clacking of his... traditional Japanese shoes, though.

Totally agree with you on this. This episode was so underwhelming to me compared to the last handful, especially coming after last week.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Just out of curiousity, at the beginning of episode 19 what suit does the Sengoku Astray fight with that has that huge cannon?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Just out of curiousity, at the beginning of episode 19 what suit does the Sengoku Astray fight with that has that huge cannon?

The Virtue from 00.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Blackchamber posted:

Gundam Virtue from 00.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The pilot is also an homage to the canonical pilot but in a hilarious roundabout way. In-universe they made a movie about the protaognists where they cast "Hollywood"-style reimaginings of all the characters. The dude piloting the Virtue is the in-universe movie version of Tieria.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Here is said movie, complete with gag-sub.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dessel posted:

This is G Gundam's Shuffle Alliance arc in a nutshell, actually, which is what we appear to be in in Build Fighters right now.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
This episode was more about Nils realizing that he actually likes and cares about Gunpla then Sei or Reiji. In a way the two of them were the supporting characters this episode. I did like how at the minute break you actually get to see him get upset that his 'toy' got damaged. Originally it was just a means to an end but it never occurred to him that it would ever get hit let alone damaged.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sei and Reiji have been the supporting characters ever since the fight with Fellini because yeah, this is the Shuffle Alliance arc. Aila's episode is coming up next though, which will probably tie into Reiji and hopefully Sei a little more strongly.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If this ends with Sei and Reiji doing a Love Love Sekiha Tenkyouken, then GBF can do whatever the hell it wants. Or it could be Sei and China with Reiji being the projectile king.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Level Slide posted:

If this ends with Sei and Reiji doing a Love Love Sekiha Tenkyouken, then GBF can do whatever the hell it wants. Or it could be Sei and China with Reiji being the projectile king.

The king is Reiji and Aila also doing a Love Love Sekiha Tenkyouken. Their king is Ramba Ral.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ethiser posted:

The king is Reiji and Aila also doing a Love Love Sekiha Tenkyouken. Their king is Ramba Ral.
I wish we lived in this world this beautiful.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ramba Ral finally finds love in the battlefield when he meets the secretary.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I was a little disappointed Sei used Build Knuckle instead of Shining Finger.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ethiser posted:

Oh my God, I wouldn't even care to see Unicorn's finale if this happened. No way to top this scenario, don't even try.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Oh my God, I wouldn't even care to see Unicorn's finale if this happened. No way to top this scenario, don't even try.

Charges at the enemy "THIS IS NO KING OF HEARTS! NO KIIIIIING!"

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Of course not. Ral's an ace, after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

"This hand of ours... IS BURNING BLUE!"

Ethiser posted:

I'm still expecting Ramba Ral to turn out to be some kind of Super-Deluxe Secret Champion of the Universe that Sei and Reiji have to fight at the end.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"This hand of ours... IS BURNING BLUE!"

I'm still expecting Ramba Ral to turn out to be some kind of Super-Deluxe Secret Champion of the Universe that Sei and Reiji have to fight at the end.

So kinda like how the Champion of the Pokemon League is Random Guy with Unique Sprite B?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sadly, he has a custom Strike, not a custom Shining Gundam.

...I'd pay to see a Build Fighters sequel that keeps this quality but has someone use a custom Shining or God as the main character. It could even get me to buy Gunpla.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ethiser posted:

This is all I could ever ask for out of this show.

Given how this fight ended in a slugfest I would have loved if the Star Build Strike got a dempsey roll or something equally ridiculous going, but I am content with a shoryuken.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, meet the mystery silhouette that was teased earlier:

It's Crossbone Gundam.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

It's Crossbone Gundam.

You have no idea how happy this makes me. It's like a dream come true. GBF really is the most amazing series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

AradoBalanga posted:

It's Crossbone Gundam.

Thank you for bringing me joy, Arado.

• Locked thread