Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

CopperHound posted:

This is why I haven't done any quests.
Most quests are awful anyway, the only ones worth doing are unfortunately in french but also pretty simple.

Shaike sometimes roams a little and the only way to advance the quest if she roams away and closes the window is to /w her the response. With that said, if it happens to any other goons..

Tissu = cloth
Cuir = leather
Cuir-Cloutée = Studded leather (you can make the é with ascii code ctrl+130 on numpad)
les Soigneurs = healer chain
Guerrier en Maille = melee chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

After three days of selling nothing on my new merchant and lower prices everyday, I just found out you have to list the merchant for your stuff to show up in searches.

gently caress.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

In an attempt to improve RvR balance the GM's on genesis gave three midgard guilds free level 50 and 20 plat each in albion. Yeah that Uthgard grass, so green.
http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9452&start=70

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yes because giving 3 guilds a golden handshake to change realms will 'balance rvr'.

What in the holy gently caress.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Jessant posted:

In an attempt to improve RvR balance the GM's on genesis gave three midgard guilds free level 50 and 20 plat each in albion. Yeah that Uthgard grass, so green.

Holy gently caress. I stopped playing last week to see if the server would improve but since checking up I've found that the server now has 5 mandatory restarts a day, people are not getting permabanned for speedhacking, and GMs are giving money and levels out to their friends. On top of all of this the performance doesn't seem to have improved much at all. What a god drat mess this server is.

pnau
Aug 20, 2006
It's a total clusterfuck at the moment.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
This would all make sense and be extremely funny if the Genesis project was just Blue trolling.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Jessant posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Back to live!

e: Cody's pathetic little livejournal blog posts about boo hoo it's hard to run an server inspire absolutely no confidence in him as a leader or decision maker. gently caress everything about this tragic clown and his band of do-nothing cronies.

boho fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 22, 2014

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

boho posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Back to live!
My thoughts exactly. What realm?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

My thoughts exactly. What realm?

I have a Vampiir on Hib but I sort of want to switch to a hybrid tank like Champ, Thane, or Reaver. Name your poison and I'll level something with you.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

boho posted:

I have a Vampiir on Hib but I sort of want to switch to a hybrid tank like Champ, Thane, or Reaver. Name your poison and I'll level something with you.
You don't have to level with me. My playing times are all over the place anyway. Would just like to roll on the realm with the most goons. That's probably Hib, right?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Meatsicle posted:

You don't have to level with me. My playing times are all over the place anyway. Would just like to roll on the realm with the most goons. That's probably Hib, right?

Really no goons play live. I'm the only one I know of.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've been playing a little bit of live lately, mostly on Mid. To be honest though, the only rvr action I've been able to get into is running with the zerg which is really boring most of the time, until we run into the alb zerg. Otherwise its just keep takes.

I've sat and spammed lfg and region on hib for a half hour a few times and not gotten a single invite.

So eh, I really don't know what I want to do. The decision making on Genesis is a trainwreck.

If you guys want to level something on a realm let me know.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Combo posted:

I've been playing a little bit of live lately, mostly on Mid. To be honest though, the only rvr action I've been able to get into is running with the zerg which is really boring most of the time, until we run into the alb zerg. Otherwise its just keep takes.

I've sat and spammed lfg and region on hib for a half hour a few times and not gotten a single invite.

So eh, I really don't know what I want to do. The decision making on Genesis is a trainwreck.

If you guys want to level something on a realm let me know.
Yeah I'm down. I don't really care which realm. If we went Alb I have a 47 Cleric that I could turn into a buffbot, although I guess that's not really needed now with realm buffs.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I have a 50 bot on all 3 realms, doesn't matter to me.

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
reactivated live for the free 7 days to play around. Any realm is good. I know I have a ton of 50s on mid (including a buffbot sham) and a 50 cleric on alb. I'd play anywhere honestly.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'd be down for a mid group, I'd roll a skald, thane, savage, whatever happily.

Even if we just hang out in a bg for a bit, its probably better than 50 rvr right now anyway.

Combo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 22, 2014

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.
I know a few goons are on Ywain-Hib because I am playing with one right now. Molv has a ton of action most of the day. NF does also, but I'd not leave the BGs until you're rr4.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I've been playing my Vampiir but I'll make a Thane on Midgard with you guys. Wonder if they ever made Heretics not awful?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

If you guys want to do hib I'm up for that too.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah a couple goons posted in here that they play Ywain Hib. I'd say let's go with that. Are Wardens any good nowadays?

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
Wardens are always good, as long as you're cool with being a hybrid/util role.

I'm playing with Cactar on Hib-Ywain, plenty of action as alb is over-populated and mid tends to zerg around.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well in that case I made an eld named Ozi.

And yeah I think Wardens are still good/wanted in groups.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I just want to play whatever class is best solo PvP. I'd also like to know how the gently caress to make any sense out of item progression (Glass, Scales, Picts, Tokens, Artifacts, Bounty Points, Platinum, what buys what, how do I farm what I need, do I have to group, how do you group in this game when no one talks, etc).

I'd also like to know how much USD I need to pay to a Chinese bot manager to get me gear so I can set foot in a BG and not get hit for 950HP by a stealthed Scout the instant I'm out of guard range.

boho fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 22, 2014

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.

boho posted:

I just want to play whatever class is best solo PvP. I'd also like to know how the gently caress to make any sense out of item progression (Glass, Scales, Picts, Tokens, Artifacts, Bounty Points, Platinum, what buys what, how do I farm what I need, do I have to group, how do you group in this game when no one talks, etc).

I'd also like to know how much USD I need to pay to a Chinese bot manager to get me gear so I can set foot in a BG and not get hit for 950HP by a stealthed Scout the instant I'm out of guard range.

Progression wise:
Glass buys ToA stuff: master levels and artifacts. You can get it from repeatable quests in ToA (very fast with a few good people), or killing ToA mobs.
Scales by all dragon-type gear, weapons/armor/accessories. You can get it from killing stuff in the SI dungeon, the dragon raid area, or repeatable quests like picts.
Picts I am slightly less familiar with, there are quests that yield scales and larger raid type things that yield very good weapons.
Tokens - not sure what you mean here.
Artifacts - see glass.
Bounty Points buy a lot of neat consumables / mounts / gear. You can also buy gear in the battlegrounds as you level up with BP's. You gain these as you gain realm points from killing people.
Plat - A "Starter" template would be 50 to 100 plat. A more elite one could run you 400p. It didn't take me long to gear a toon with a starter template setup. A good night of farming can yield 25p+, so I don't really think this is so terrible.

Farming what you need could be very complicated or very easy depending on how patient you are and how you look at it. Crafting (SC & Alch) is actually a great stream of revenue once you're high enough to take orders. Other sources of income include repeatable quests, farming valuable drops like alch mats or epic currency, or finding a group to kill bosses with.

You don't have to group ever really, but you can certainly increase your progress if you find some not-assholes to play with. /LFG still works, and there's always the goons playing on the various Ywain realms that will help you out. There's a few of us on Hib.

boji fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 22, 2014

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
nm

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
I haven't really followed this game since they released the classic servers years ago, but I've kind of been craving an MMO with rvr style pvp. Where should I play? I'd prefer Midgard. It sounds like the free shards are a mess?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

knob posted:

I haven't really followed this game since they released the classic servers years ago, but I've kind of been craving an MMO with rvr style pvp. Where should I play? I'd prefer Midgard. It sounds like the free shards are a mess?

Well it really depends on your tolerance for bullshit.

In the last week the GMs have:
1. Given a slap on the wrist to a guy on Alb that used a speed hack to capture relics, despite their clearly stated policy of zero tolerance. They also didn't reset the relics.
2. Given 3 guilds on Midgard free level 50s with money on Alb if they agreed to move over, which they did. This was also for "the good of the realm". Nobody else who has made that switch got that offer. They only told the community after they had been called out on it.

I also remember when I first signed up there was some drama because Hibs took relics while the realm was bugged and no guards were spawning, so they waltzed right into the relic keep and stole them. Those also weren't reset.

Aside from all that and the lag/crashing issues, its fine. It really does feel like old school daoc (with faster leveling) so its unfortunate that the GMs are such morons.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.

boho posted:

The last thing I want to do is discourage anyone from playing dark age, but if you want to truly solo its not going to be an issue that a scout kills you out of guard range, it'll be an issue that 2 scouts jump you or in Mid's case, 3+ stealthers. How you deal with that is bring friends, figure out a way you can get to a mental place that it doesn't bother you if you die to nonsense like that, or avoid situations where its likely you are going to get zerged (which is more of an art form than anything else). I mostly soloed on my scout from rr1 to 5L3 so I can say its possible but I've done easier things in life too.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007

Combo posted:

Aside from all that and the lag/crashing issues, its fine. It really does feel like old school daoc (with faster leveling) so its unfortunate that the GMs are such morons.

The GMs have made some stupid moves so far, but even knowing that I logged in last night for a few hours and had a lot of fun. I decided I'm willing to give them a break so far for a couple reasons. So far it seems like they have good intentions, they are just loving stupid when it comes to executing their intentions, and hopefully they will learn to make some better decisions in the future. After all the server has only been up for like a month or so? Second, the stuff they have done hasnt really affected my game at all.

Dont get me wrong, I am not here to defend their actions - they have been pretty loving stupid, BUT, it has only been a month and they are new to this so I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
People are a little pissed about it, but overall no one cares. It's just a time killer until Uthgard relaunches and everyone knows it.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Also on the guild rerolls: It was 5p per person, and 50p to the guildmaster.
The two guilds that I know of that were given freeshit: aedwa and Meh.
This was to balance RvR.
Neither guild RvR'd.
Not sure who the third guild is.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
A much, MUCH better solution would be to provide incentives to the realm, and ONLY if they had server statistics to back it up.

From the leaderboards, it's obvious there's not a large amount of albs RVRing. Even their zerg guild is only #5 for total RPs, and the only Alb guild in the top 10.

If they're TRULY outnumbered in PVE and RVR, the way to fix that isn't to give people free lvl 50's and stuff/money. Offer realm benefits. Give a bonus to EXP rates/gold/drops to help people level - bonus RPs to inspire people to go into frontiers.

Hell, they could even give people the opportunity to make alt accounts to play on the losing side, when they're losing. I'd love to be able to also have some albs or hibs I can play here occasionally given some of you goons are on those realms.

Giving characters and money to a select few guilds however is just retarded. Even if it is (much) less work.

I'd go so far as to say, based on the reactions in the forums, albs are more mad about it than mid, though.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Interesting pathing video posted in today's Uthgard Revamp update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4wCjK8-uq4

Still some kinks to work out they said but overall looks pretty cool. :)

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
Made a blademaster named Dariths on hib. Melee classes have always been my favorite.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Kejek posted:

Made a blademaster named Dariths on hib. Melee classes have always been my favorite.

Ywain right?

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
Yep

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
I don't think you can roll not Ywain, except maybe co-op?

Anyhow I'll be on hib later, not sure which toon but I always have my bot named Kriegersan going.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

boji posted:

I don't think you can roll not Ywain, except maybe co-op?
I meant Ywain or Genesis. Guess I should've said Live.

edit: gonna roll with a Warden on Live. Name is Supbrah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
Apparently I have a few hibs I completely forgot about. 50 Nightshade, 50 Eldritch, 41 druidbot. I think I have a bard somewhere also. I sent an email requesting a character list for all my accounts, so hopefully I'll know everything I have hah. Wish they had an easier way of just determining how many characters you have on hib/mid/alb per server.

• Locked thread