Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Otacon posted:

For someone completely new to the game with barely 500k SP, what would be the best skill to raise to V first? I understand it's probably not something that should be done right away, but what V-level skill would give the best benefit? Drones? Cap management? CPU?

Capacitor Management, CPU then Weapon Upgrades. If you want to jump into combat right away (I don't advise this, but you'll be bored to tears if you don't) train your respective Spaceship Command skills, Gunnery skills or Armour skills depending on the ship you plan on flying the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Otacon posted:

For someone completely new to the game with barely 500k SP, what would be the best skill to raise to V first? I understand it's probably not something that should be done right away, but what V-level skill would give the best benefit? Drones? Cap management? CPU?

While I can't speak for which skills take priority over others, I'm going to guess that maybe fitting > Cap > Tank > Damage if you're wanting to get into an Ishtar.

Level 5's I've trained that I feel are insanely useful (Hint: all of them are, I'm just trying to take out the ones I trained to train other skills like for HACs :ssh:)
Hull Upgrades
Mechanics
Drones
Drone Interfacing
Cpu management
Powergrid management
Weapon upgrades
Shield Operation

Just get level IVs in everything until you really need a level V skill for some reason.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Otacon posted:

If you have that low SP, don't worry about getting anything to V. Try out different things before you specialize since that last IV -> V takes at least 3x as long as I -> IV.

Once you figure out what you like/enjoy, then think about specializing. At that point, you should understand better what is required and then you'll have a bunch of V's to train.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Otacon posted:

Get your main CPU and power grid skills to V first, probably in that order. Early on it's better to go broad than go deep with skills, so if you train anything to V right away at all, you should focus on things that apply to literally every ship you fly.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so if you train anything to V right away at all, you should focus on things that apply to literally every ship you fly.

I can't think of a more often used module on every ship other than a DCII.

Train Hull upgrades V. (Is that the one that gives + Structure or + armour? I can't remember.)

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
Yeah, try a bunch of things, then when you find something you like, find and adapt (or create yourself) some fittings for it and use that to determine which things to train. For example, if you want to fly frigate logistics, you'll need excellent cap and remote transfer skills as well as frigate IV-V and decent fitting skills. If tackling, then you want nav, cap, and frigate skills, with fitting and tank being less important (again depending on what exactly you're flying).

Basically, EFT/pyfa are your friend. Even if you don't understand how to create your own fittings, they're still very valuable for adapting existing fits to your character, or vice versa.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

I can't think of a more often used module on every ship other than a DCII.

Train Hull upgrades V. (Is that the one that gives + Structure or + armour? I can't remember.)

DCII is only Hull Upgrades IV.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

x Archons + y Aeons > x + 10y Battleships, so the WB side can fight outnumbered 11:1 and win with no losses.

While I'm not disagreeing with anything that is being posted, Wreckingball as used by ncdot/pl had a massive caveat; it was really defence only. It caused stagnation of the war but couldn't push it forward.

The only way that N3/pl would have been able to make progress was if the stagnation that wreckingball caused was able to blueball RUS into a withdrawl, it almost worked after HED with -A- circling the drain. But in the end we all know what happened. Wreckingball would never have meant VFK by august despite the hurfblurf.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I got a LOT of enjoyment out of being a Maulus Damper in that breakout attempt. I can now (poorly) fly either an Exeq or a Celestis, and part of the Milestones for either of them are Drones V, which I am currently training now. I'm already at CPU III / Power Grid III /Cap IV and only Drones V is holding me back from that first milestone in either ship, which is why I was asking.

I'll be getting CPU / Power / Cap to V as fast as I can too, though!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 22, 2014

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Kheldragar posted:

Hull Upgrades
Mechanics
Drones
Drone Interfacing
Cpu management
Powergrid management
Weapon upgrades
Shield Operation

Just get level IVs in everything until you really need a level V skill for some reason.

These are all good skills to cap out, and Kheldragar gives good advice. I would suggest getting a Frigate skill to level V fairly soon, since that opens up so many options when you finish training prerequisites that you'll eventually get anyway. It doesn't even matter which Frigate skill you choose - they're all very good ships and you won't regret spending the skill points (although people will recommend Caldari, go with what interests you the most).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm looking at the newbie skill plan I spam the EVE-O forums with. It generally takes an “all to III” approach to early training, and the skills that are of particular usefulness and bang for the buck go to IV. That pretty much covers the core fitting and ship stats skills already listed. The only thing on that list that actually goes to V these days are Drones, partly because it unlocks the full flight of five drones that most cruisers and above are meant to carry, and partly because of all the support skills it unlocks to make that flight useful.

It used to be that Power Grid Management was a very useful early V, since it unlocked Thermodynamics, but now that they've reduced the requirement to only lvl IV, it's not nearly as necessary (although still good — you can never have enough grid).

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Tippis posted:

I'm looking at the newbie skill plan I spam the EVE-O forums with. It generally takes an “all to III” approach to early training, and the skills that are of particular usefulness and bang for the buck go to IV. That pretty much covers the core fitting and ship stats skills already listed. The only thing on that list that actually goes to V these days are Drones, partly because it unlocks the full flight of five drones that most cruisers and above are meant to carry, and partly because of all the support skills it unlocks to make that flight useful.

It used to be that Power Grid Management was a very useful early V, since it unlocked Thermodynamics, but now that they've reduced the requirement to only lvl IV, it's not nearly as necessary (although still good — you can never have enough grid).

Power grid and CPU management are such critical core skills that it's crazy not to take them to 5 early, especially when you don't have AWU.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Uba Stij posted:

PL/Waffles are pretty close knit community wise. In Waffles we'll get guys who try to act big and stuff and don't mesh well, they eventually either leave themselves or are cut. Of all the alliances in EVE, GSF and PL are the only ones who get the whole "keep the community together" aspect of managing things.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the same handful of alliances have endured for so long. I don't like them, but I have to admit that the BoB sequels prove that they're tight nit. Tight nit enough to be major players after being wiped off the map three times. SOLAR as well. So many alliances have made the mistake of massively recruiting and became states that weren't nations. Knights of the Southerncross were gigantic back in the day, but got shredded because they were a bunch of strangers that got recruited into the some alliance by some guy. TEST did that to a degree, and now some of the CFC alliances are doing it (Looking at -FA- taking EMP remnants)

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Vatek posted:

Power grid and CPU management are such critical core skills that it's crazy not to take them to 5 early, especially when you don't have AWU.

This. These are the two skills that absolutely 100% every new player should train to V within the first month of them playing. After that, I'd look more into t1 cruisers than t2 frigates. T2 frigs take a surprising amount of training time to fly well. The harpy fit we fly takes well over a month or two to fly properly, and thats just support, fitting and weapon skills. T1 cruisers can be flown well in under two weeks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Kheldragar gives good advice

:kheldragar:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
:saddowns: So how many newbies, when they lose their first non-frigate ship and pod, lose over 150-200+ million ISK? :negative:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Artificer posted:

:saddowns: So how many newbies, when they lose their first non-frigate ship and pod, lose over 150-200+ million ISK? :negative:

Probably more often than you'd imagine. Its ok, you'll make it back faster than you'd think.

Never fly what you can't afford to lose.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Artificer posted:

:rip:

Golden rule of eve, never fly what you can't afford to lose.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Trabisnikof posted:

Never fly what you can't afford to lose.

That is the one, immutable truth from the Holy Scripture that so many people seem to gently caress up.

I had a friend give up on EVE long, long ago because he sperged out a battlecruiser with all the shiny his newb wallet could take and subsequently took a total loss in low sec.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

I'd like to add to that rule: only spend the bare minimum to get the job done. Sure Officer mods look shiny, but then we get killmails like the Waffles one a couple posts back. If that was a bog-standard T2 fit Golem nobody would take a second look.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I'd like to add to that rule: only spend the bare minimum to get the job done. Sure Officer mods look shiny, but then we get killmails like the Waffles one a couple posts back. If that was a bog-standard T2 fit Golem nobody would take a second look.

"Bare minimum" is good advice for PvE, but only for PvE; cost-efficient is much better guideline otherwise. Faction points and webs, certain deadspace MWDs, the equivalent-to-T2-but-lower-CPU hardeners, and a bunch of other expensive modules (to say nothing of hulls) are all a very good investment for PvP, as long as they're proportionate to your income and purpose.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Vatek posted:

For cruisers and T2 frigates, absolutely. For T1 tackling/logistics frigates, they're nowhere near as important as cap and navigation (and Frigate itself).

Artificer posted:

Exploration loot? If so, yeah, that happens. Part of the learning process. Just try to drop it off somewhere semi-safe once you hit 100m or so, at least until you're in a covops.

Otherwise, you overspent. Whoops.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Bare minimum" is good advice for PvE, but only for PvE; cost-efficient is much better guideline otherwise. Faction points and webs, certain deadspace MWDs, the equivalent-to-T2-but-lower-CPU hardeners, and a bunch of other expensive modules (to say nothing of hulls) are all a very good investment for PvP, as long as they're proportionate to your income and purpose.

Aside from the T2-equivalent stuff, this really only applies to ships that are highly-survivable. Just because you're flying a reimbursible faction battleship in fleet that costs 400m doesn't mean it gains meaningful benefits from another 400m in modules.

Edit: That was poorly worded. What I should have said is much simpler: unless you understand exactly what you're getting from spending more on the ship, and how it will help you survive/win, don't do it.

mikey fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 22, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Artificer posted:

As long as it is not a PLEX that has been lost in the ship - you are golden.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
Against my better judgement I decided to resub. I was in GW a couple of years ago but I guess I got kicked for being inactive and I can't access my GF forum account at all. Should I just go through newbie registration again?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah, I definitely overspent I suppose. That said the thread I was reading recommended that I get said equipment, so I specced it out that way and earned a lot....but then I exploded! :(

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Uba Stij posted:

Never not train Cyno V. It's an amazing skill to have and helps out in a lot of ways. That said also get Frig V on all racials and you can pretty much fly in any bomber, which is also worth training towards.

Anchoring V is good if you want to be able to drop bubbles, which I think grants T2 Large though I might be wrong on that one.

There's no single skill to train to V first, there are a fair number that are really useful.

Getting one of the racial frigates to V will give you some solid adaptability in what ships you can fly, I'd thumbs up that one.

The other contender is weapon upgrades V, because that unlocks advanced weapon upgrades, and that is a very important fitting skill to have if you intend to use large turrets.

Drones V is up there too, since that will let you launch 5 drones, which is a pretty widely applicable thing to be able to do.

I've had a look through my skills list. Gunnery V is kinda useful, but again mostly for t2 large weapons so probably not first, hull upgrades V and warp core operation V along with the capacitor skills are all up there as well, but probably not *first*. One of the racial frigates or drones would probably be my choice on balance.

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

All of this damping hate just has me baffled. If the enemy brings a bunch of celestis, bring some t1 short range cruisers to chew through them. I never hear anyone bitch about dictors, but just having a handful of those always makes the difference between winning and losing. Why should a healthy fleet comp not include ecm ships? Did people bitch about Ravens like this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bagu posted:

All of this damping hate just has me baffled. If the enemy brings a bunch of celestis, bring some t1 short range cruisers to chew through them. I never hear anyone bitch about dictors, but just having a handful of those always makes the difference between winning and losing. Why should a healthy fleet comp not include ecm ships? Did people bitch about Ravens like this?

I assume you mean Scorpions, and yes they did, and it was hilarious. :iia:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Snake_in_a_box posted:

Against my better judgement I decided to resub. I was in GW a couple of years ago but I guess I got kicked for being inactive and I can't access my GF forum account at all. Should I just go through newbie registration again?

Yes because it got deleted for inactivity probably.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Artificer posted:

Yeah, I definitely overspent I suppose. That said the thread I was reading recommended that I get said equipment, so I specced it out that way and earned a lot....but then I exploded! :(

What was 'it'? A VNI? Generally if you don't have a ton of experience and need faction equipment to fit a PvE ship, it's better to wait, but that depends on how much money you can make back before you lose it. If you came close to breaking even, then you can write it off as a valuable learning experience (assuming you know why you lost it). If you don't need the faction equipment to fit a PvE/moneymaking ship, then don't do it until you know exactly how much isk/hr benefit you'll be getting from it (frequently none).

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Artificer posted:

Something to watch out for. Generally you stick with T2 until you can identify where Faction stuff helps i.e. you're flying an Arazu and a True Sansha Warp Scrambler would have nailed that Interceptor that dipped in too close when he tackled you, or Faction Webs on a Daredevil, that sort of thing. The best thing is to get really comfortable with the type of ship you like to fly and then dip your toes into Faction or Deadspace gear when you're at a point where you experience keeps your ship alive for longer than one fight. It's a terrible feeling to Deadspace a Deimos then immediately lose it to a kiting Stabber because you didn't know what to do when he burns out of scram range.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Moving day. Hate so much. I've done 10 jumps in the JF and haven't even scratched the surface.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ullerrm posted:

Moving day. Hate so much. I've done 10 jumps in the JF and haven't even scratched the surface.

Pay padded helmets to do it for you, I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ullerrm posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be moving out of syndicate. :(

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, I think I'm at 15 jumps. Starting to go slightly crazy.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be moving out of syndicate. :(

You guys can keep I-RED. :mmmhmm:

We're sad to leave Syndi, but the times are changing for microgang, and we can't keep our heads in the sand anymore. It's time to change with them.

e: Ben Booley: so this is what being in gsol is like

e2:

[19:27] <LexArson> we just blops'd onto a bunch of crappy xoth dudes hitting a poco in sarline
[19:27] <LexArson> and our scout goes "oh man pantheon carriers cyno'ing in"
[19:27] <LexArson> everyone gets excited
[19:27] <LexArson> "oh it's rote"

e3: Trail of Tears JPG is being linked (link)

e4: blatantly stolen from schadenfreude thread:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 22, 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not gonna lie, syndicate is getting alot worse now days. The days of taking out a 20 man kitchen sink gang for shits and giggles seems to be over. I kinda miss the old days of hurricane fleets roaming the pipes, of being able to fly ECM and more than 2 logi without it just turning into a shitfest, of the days where our PVP didn't just look like more lowsec shitfest armor BS fights.

gently caress... Take me to providence with you?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

ullerrm posted:

We're sad to leave Syndi, but the times are changing for microgang, and we can't keep our heads in the sand anymore. It's time to change with them.

So which blob are you joining?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mynnna posted:

So which blob are you joining?

Proviblob, for at least the next few months. It'll be interesting, if nothing else.

Evoke has moved into TXW-EI, though. One irrelevant, dying alliance moves out of Syndicate, and another one promptly moves in. ;)

Elmnt80 posted:

gently caress... Take me to providence with you?

Cassius: "Groon are the only thing I'll really miss from Syndicate." D'awww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I totally forgot about zor chains sometimes I am way too easily amused

• Locked thread