Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Smeef posted:

I had my first of two interviews today. I got along really well with the interviewer, but not sure if I was supposed to be talking more or not. It was very casual, and we only barely touched on the questions I know are required by the school. At the very least I passed the "is not a social retard" test.

I've got the second interview on Monday and expect it to be more formal since it's in a conference room during the working week. I'm glad the more casual interview was first, because I'll be ready for a sharper performance.

Nice, how did it go? Now begins the long wait....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Cart posted:

Nice, how did it go? Now begins the long wait....

Second interview also went well and was equally casual. We got along well, and I definitely passed the "is not a social retard" test. Again, though, not a whole lot of time spent answering the questions I expected.

Both of the interviewers were very impressive. Young but insanely successful and doing cool poo poo.

They both seemed positive during the interviews, but when I emailed them to say thanks afterwards, their responses didn't give any hints, which I was hoping for to relief my anxiety. December 20th is the latest I'll hear back, so I don't have that long of a wait. Still, it's excruciating.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Smeef posted:

Second interview also went well and was equally casual. We got along well, and I definitely passed the "is not a social retard" test. Again, though, not a whole lot of time spent answering the questions I expected.

Both of the interviewers were very impressive. Young but insanely successful and doing cool poo poo.

They both seemed positive during the interviews, but when I emailed them to say thanks afterwards, their responses didn't give any hints, which I was hoping for to relief my anxiety. December 20th is the latest I'll hear back, so I don't have that long of a wait. Still, it's excruciating.

If its anything like college interviews, they probably don't know themselves.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
So I just completed my first real GMAT. I've been studying for about 5 months three months fairly hard, then two where I've been pretty lackadaisical but didn't totally stop.

I got a 570, less then my two most recent practice tests by quite a bit. The kicker, for me is the breakdown:

V 41 93 percentile
Q 27 17 percentile

I had to start guessing towards the end of the quant which partly explains my bad score but I've also been 80 /20 focusing and it's hard to still be so low in that section. I've never been very good at math but drat bottom quintile is rough.

I am wondering if an MBA is even right for me, given how far I skew. Should I try the test again or should I consider other options? Funnily enough I'm hoping an MBA would let me get into roles more fitting my verbal and reasoning abilities since right now its a lot of low level analyst work with a nice helping of straight up data entry.

My target score is around 650,so even being average at math would probably get me there.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Xguard86 posted:

So I just completed my first real GMAT. I've been studying for about 5 months three months fairly hard, then two where I've been pretty lackadaisical but didn't totally stop.

I got a 570, less then my two most recent practice tests by quite a bit. The kicker, for me is the breakdown:

V 41 93 percentile
Q 27 17 percentile

I had to start guessing towards the end of the quant which partly explains my bad score but I've also been 80 /20 focusing and it's hard to still be so low in that section. I've never been very good at math but drat bottom quintile is rough.

I am wondering if an MBA is even right for me, given how far I skew. Should I try the test again or should I consider other options? Funnily enough I'm hoping an MBA would let me get into roles more fitting my verbal and reasoning abilities since right now its a lot of low level analyst work with a nice helping of straight up data entry.

My target score is around 650,so even being average at math would probably get me there.

It's pretty easy to end up with a crappy math section just on nerves - the test is computer adaptive, and I found that at least from the practice GMAT, the "easier" questions end up being annoying exercises in calculating tips and doing long division. If you mess up early questions, you'll end up doing arithmetic by hand for a crappy score. Slow down - the time you spend on a question should be the number of questions for the section divided by the number of questions (say, 2 minutes a questions.) Double check the question if you answer it too early, there's no hurry.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My weakest section is definitely just straight computation , so that scenario makes sense. I don't usually have test anxiety but I've old done three practice exams and never taken a computer based test before.

My plan is to take practice quant sections the next two weekends but otherwise hang back and enjoy the holiday. Then schedule a test for February and work hard in Jan and hopefully get my math to at least average.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I found that GMAT quant is just about seeing if I can figure out the stupid rule that they wanted me to use for each problem, so all I did was browse the beatthegmat forums and clicked every thread that had the 'expert replies' picture next to it. Then I would do the problem, see what the expert answer was and figure out what the rule is that I had missed. There's only so many ways in which the questions can be written, simply because the mathematical theories tested are at a high school level.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just got word from the AdCom that I've been offered a place in my school of choice so I'm pretty hyped!

It's hard not to shake the feeling that I'm basically paying 250 grand to take a 2 year vacation from real life.

Any other posters headed to London next fall?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

pizzaman5000 posted:

I found that GMAT quant is just about seeing if I can figure out the stupid rule that they wanted me to use for each problem, so all I did was browse the beatthegmat forums and clicked every thread that had the 'expert replies' picture next to it. Then I would do the problem, see what the expert answer was and figure out what the rule is that I had missed. There's only so many ways in which the questions can be written, simply because the mathematical theories tested are at a high school level.

Are you good with math in general though? Because I feel this way when doing the verbal section and I know that math works the same way but I just can't seem to make it work.

Also I got a perfect 6 on the writing section too, really wish that mattered like at all.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Xguard86 posted:

Are you good with math in general though? Because I feel this way when doing the verbal section and I know that math works the same way but I just can't seem to make it work.

Also I got a perfect 6 on the writing section too, really wish that mattered like at all.

I'm ok with maths. I work with numbers all day in excel but I'm not an engineer or anything like that. I suppose I can do computation fairly easily, but that is from practicing simple calculations again and again to train familiarity. I don't think I've seen any problems involving long division that didn't include some shortcut to reduce the computation workload.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I guess the only thing for me to do is to practice enough that I feel comfortable with all the math and don't get that feeling that I am on the razor edge of failure.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
I finally heard back from INSEAD Singapore. got rejected... jk got in. BOOYAH

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Smeef posted:

Congratulations! Make sure Kwagga tells you all the good places to eat (dicks).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Smeef posted:

Congrats! Do you have any previous ties to Asia/Singapore?

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Smeef posted:

Congrats man! 15J right? Just about to hop on the plane to France myself!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Fall 2014 entry, but if I'm accepted to Johns Hopkins as well I will be deferring as part of the dual-degree program. I've been in Asia for 4 years and have been to Singapore a few times. I had great times on all my trips and never understood the haters. I guess old reputations die hard.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
edit: different question now, I guess

Submitted my apps for Stern and CBS. Now, who's got some good resources on interviewing?

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 15, 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Rejected by Judge. Should have given a poo poo in undergrad instead of arseing around drinking I guess.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Just got the interview invitation to Oxford. Fingers crossed...

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Interview invitation came from Stern. Seriously, who's got the goods on prepping for this?

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Got an interview lined up for tomorrow at 8am and another on February 26th with two 1-year programs in Europe.

I don't feel nervous at all, though if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears. Since it's on Skype, I've already set up a clean area in my apartment and I'll obviously be wearing a suit anyways.

Looks like the topics for both interviews will concern my work experience, my reasons for wanting an MBA and a chance for me to ask questions (which I will)...

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Edit: Nevermind

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 14, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Frost000 posted:

Got an interview lined up for tomorrow at 8am and another on February 26th with two 1-year programs in Europe.

I don't feel nervous at all, though if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears. Since it's on Skype, I've already set up a clean area in my apartment and I'll obviously be wearing a suit anyways.

Looks like the topics for both interviews will concern my work experience, my reasons for wanting an MBA and a chance for me to ask questions (which I will)...

be sure to not wear pants, ESPN anchor style.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Well, the interview went great... Got my acceptance and was offered a scholarship on top of it!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've been getting somewhere in the 620-640 range on my practice GMATs through Manhattan but I took one of the official practices last night and got a 610, primarily due to my math ending up like 8 points lower (verbal was about the same, actually higher than some other tests). The math also seemed somehow easier than previous tests, but obviously I wasn't doing very well at all which is also kind of disturbing.

Whats the deal with this? Are Manhattan tests easier somehow? My test is tomorrow and I'm targetting 650 but even 630 would be OK for me, but drat I'll be sad if I'm ~600. I guess one day before it doesn't matter directly but its got me worried.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I read on gmatclub that Manhattan are notorious for having more difficult math questions as well as a scoring algorithm that relies heavily on the last five questions or something like that. I don't know how accurate or true this is though.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I found the math in the Manhattan GMAT tests to be harder than what I encountered on the actual GMAT. I have also read that there can be significant variability in scores for an individual. My score was above what I got on any of my practice tests.

I just received my interview invitation to Wharton. Anyone have any insight into the Team Based Discussion and the follow up individual interview?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hmm well at least you guys aren't saying I'm doomed or crazy. I feel like a 650 is not an unobtainable score especially when I'm hitting low 40 pretty regularly on verbal so I just need like a par quant. I dunno the GMAT makes me feel very dumb and I just want to be done with it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

welp... 610 on the real thing so not surprising I guess. Pretty disappointed, although I my studying has been probably 75% or so, intense for some time and then slowing down before a final sprint before test day. I've only done about 25% of the total problems available, something like 400 or so. I guess you get what you "pay" for haha but I thought I was on track for at least something a little higher, given all my practice tests before the latest where on track. My goddamn verbal dropped 4 points and my math rose 7 points from my last attempt. So if I could just submit a highlight reel I'd be happy since my two top scores together is basically what I was aiming for.

So, thats two attempts once at a 570 and now a 610. I don't know if I really have it in me for a 3rd run and I'm not really sure if thats even all that smart. Everyone I've spoken to thats farther along the road, including people with MBAs, are pretty ambiguous about whether its worth the time/cost especially since it seems the really elite schools are out of my reach. I was googling today and some of these master programs in analytics sound interesting, although I'm afraid my lack of quan ability might hold me back, plus not totally sure I would enjoy that kind of work. Like, its interesting in theory but might come off the rails when I'm applying it.

Really, just kind of disappointed with myself that I spent so much time avoiding traditional math in HS and college. I find it not so bad now and sometimes fun, but just kinda late when trying to compete with the gmat average.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 21, 2014

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.
Any time managements tips from current students? I've been reading the blog of a former student for the program I'm starting soon, and the workload sounds pretty brutal.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm just starting my second semester of my program at a highly-ranked University and let me tell you something: there will never be enough time.

Finding a work / life / school balance will be difficult at first and you won't see your friends/family very much. You'll have to develop your own schedule and what works best for you. What you put into the program is what you get out of it. You can simply just go to class and go home or you can get more involved with additional lectures and functions as offered.

As for me... I work full time and take two classes a semester. I put myself on a routine where-in I make sure to have dinner with my husband on the nights I don't have class and then proceed into the office to study. Classes this term are on Tuesday and Thursday nights (7-10pm), so my schedule is:
    Monday: Study night (7-11pm)
    Tuesday: Class
    Wednesday: Study night (7-11pm)
    Thursday: Class
    Friday: Relax
    Saturday: DAY OFF :D
    Sunday: Study day / group meeting day

You will have a lot of reading to do. You will be reading books, cases, and working on projects. Yep, team work and group work is paramount for success in the program. I've found this works for me but you may be different.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hello friends. Would anyone like to comment on the job prospects and profitability of a MS in Information Systems? Im specifically looking at this program right heeeyah.

http://management.bu.edu/graduate/graduate-programs/full-time/msmba/

I graduated last spring with a degree in econ and international affairs, and so far the job prospects seem pretty unappealing. So Im looking at potential programs, and here we are.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Do you have rich parents that will pay for it? That costs over $100k not including living expenses. Can't imagine that's worth it especially without any previous work experience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbez posted:

Hello friends. Would anyone like to comment on the job prospects and profitability of a MS in Information Systems? Im specifically looking at this program right heeeyah.

http://management.bu.edu/graduate/graduate-programs/full-time/msmba/

I graduated last spring with a degree in econ and international affairs, and so far the job prospects seem pretty unappealing. So Im looking at potential programs, and here we are.

IT masters degrees are only useful if you actually have industry experience. If you had 3-5 years as a sysadmin or network engineer, sure, but not as a fresh grad in an unrelated field with no prior experience.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Thanks to everybody who reassured me that sub-2.5. undergrad GPA is not a death sentence. Just got the letter of acceptance from Oxford, which was my No. 1 target.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Ephemeron posted:

Thanks to everybody who reassured me that sub-2.5. undergrad GPA is not a death sentence. Just got the letter of acceptance from Oxford, which was my No. 1 target.

Hooray, you're an inspiration! :unsmith:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just took a practice GMAT exam using the GMATPrep software (part of that 60-day email thing) and scored a 700. I honestly have no idea what to think about that or its legitimacy, but I have 20 days until the test to keep practicing math (because gently caress math) and I'm nervous :ohdear:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Boon posted:

I just took a practice GMAT exam using the GMATPrep software (part of that 60-day email thing) and scored a 700. I honestly have no idea what to think about that or its legitimacy, but I have 20 days until the test to keep practicing math (because gently caress math) and I'm nervous :ohdear:

That's as legitimate a practice test as you're going to find. Like the actual GMAT, though, the range is plus or minus 20 points.

Is that 60 day plan the one from Beat The GMAT? I post there for work.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Ephemeron posted:

I would love to know how you sold this in, since I'm in a similar situation myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bobby Digital posted:

Is that 60 day plan the one from Beat The GMAT? I post there for work.

Yup, someone here recommended it and I'm pretty happy with it thus far.