Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I'm new to the series (Insect Armageddon does not count), so forgive my ignorance. But if you don't get all the pickups before the mission complete and the screen fades out, do you lose out on them or does it auto collect for ya?

Also, how long did it take for the spec ops code from Facebook. I jumped the hoops earlier this week, but no email. (I'm sure its been answered somewhere in this thread, I just can't find it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

univbee posted:

On PS3: sign in to the store, select "redeem code" on the left. Or through the webstore, select your usename's pulldown and select "redeem code" from there.

On XBL: Press the Xbox button on the controller, there's an option somewhere in there to redeem code. USB keyboard recommended because holy poo poo 25 characters.

I missed this earlier. Thanks univbee

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Syves posted:

I'm new to the series (Insect Armageddon does not count), so forgive my ignorance. But if you don't get all the pickups before the mission complete and the screen fades out, do you lose out on them or does it auto collect for ya?

Also, how long did it take for the spec ops code from Facebook. I jumped the hoops earlier this week, but no email. (I'm sure its been answered somewhere in this thread, I just can't find it)
Nope, you need to leave one enemy alive until you collect all the stuff.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Syves posted:

Did it Tuesday, got it today. They said they weren't going to release them until after the 24th but obviously that changed.

PS3 has been rock solid for me and the goons & randoms I've been playing with. Had our first disconnects like 5 hours in tonight.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
This is already the game of the year for me.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Thanks for the info. PS3 so far has been great for me. Granted, I've barely scratched the surface. But I'm loving this. Just the stupid banter between soldiers is what makes it. Well, that and 50 foot ants.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
It sure is a nice change of pace from Battlefield 4. It's nice to be fighting bugs instead of fighting in spite of bugs.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Just want to report from the frontlines and say that, while playing the game under normal circumstances is fantastic on its own, doing so drunk with three other equally intoxicated people is absolutely transcendent.

"I need you to bring your space princess over here and help me kill all of these spiders. Wait, no. Here comes a tank. Nevermind."

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So, shotguns?

Shotguns.

Hell fuckin' yeah.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought this might top out with a multiple Mothership showdown after I pasted the first one, and then instead the sky attacked me. This loving game. :allears:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Dantes posted:

It sure is a nice change of pace from Battlefield 4. It's nice to be fighting bugs instead of fighting in spite of bugs.

I'm not sure you understand what you're in for here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fereydun posted:

So, shotguns?

Shotguns.

Hell fuckin' yeah.
Using shotguns on drones is like shooting clay pigeons, except the entire sky is full of them. It's so satisfying.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Using shotguns on drones is like shooting clay pigeons, except the entire sky is full of them. It's so satisfying.

The Fire Vegalta's canister shot is even more satisfying. Canister for the air, flamethrowers and Charon strafing runs for the ground. :getin:

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm not sure you understand what you're in for here.
On one hand I have every EDF published in NA for Playstation and Vita, on the other hand I have 500 hours of BF4 multiplayer played. What part do you think I missed ?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dantes posted:

On one hand I have every EDF published in NA for Playstation and Vita, on the other hand I have 500 hours of BF4 multiplayer played. What part do you think I missed ?

The part where none of that is relevant and you're swinging your turbonerd dick around for no reason?

Does anyone have a list of the level limits on levels on each difficulty or is that also on the japanese wiki? I'm having a difficult time parsing it as is.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Dantes posted:

I think he's implying there are plenty of glitches to be found in this game as well.

Ran through half the online missions the past two nights with a full crowd. Had loads of fun.

It'd be nice just to have all of the missions unlocked and available. That way you can sequence break as much as you'd like - grab a dozen or so inferno level weapons and then scale down the difficulty and find the mission that allows you to use that level range of weaponry. Repeat going down in difficulty.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

general chaos posted:

I think he's implying there are plenty of glitches to be found in this game as well.

Ran through half the online missions the past two nights with a full crowd. Had loads of fun.

It'd be nice just to have all of the missions unlocked and available. That way you can sequence break as much as you'd like - grab a dozen or so inferno level weapons and then scale down the difficulty and find the mission that allows you to use that level range of weaponry. Repeat going down in difficulty.

I'm going to counter and say I'm glad there are weapon level limits so that there is a semblance of difficulty to the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I like that, it forces you to change your weapon loadout all the time so you can try everything, and makes it so you aren't constantly playing with people who have all level 99 weapons. You can unlock the weapon/armor limit for your room if you have like 75% completion but that's loving nuts so you don't see it very often.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Just finished the final mission in 3 player co-op on XBL, and I swear it ran at 5 FPS the entire time. Even by EDF standards, the amount of dropped inputs was absurd.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
What's so bad about insect Armageddon? It's 10 bucks on steam, kinda want to buy it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
This underground adventure is kinda thrilling!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goatse.cx posted:

What's so bad about insect Armageddon? It's 10 bucks on steam, kinda want to buy it

Much worse mission design, less interesting weapons, in general it just is boring where the other EDF games are fun.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Flying around with just a Rapier and a Laser Lance as a Wing Diver is the best thing. Just weaving between large crowds of bugs switching between "Murder everything on screen at once" and "Murder one dude really loving hard" is the most fun I've had. There needs to be more flying third person shooters in my opinion.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

goatse.cx posted:

Let me put it this way- it had a coop survival mode. You couldn't use your campaign characters or weapons. You were stuck with the unleveled default class and a tiny selection of boring peashooters. Considering that the game had perfectly functional online coop for the campaign, I can't imagine why anyone would think that was a good idea. There was a lot of poo poo like that, where they just plain got the edf formula wrong.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
So im playing edf 2025 right now and im somewhat stuck on level 10 -the return on inferno and gently caress. The wave of ants jjst before the alien ships keeps getting me got past it once so far and then the ships got me. Im playing as a wing diver. Any weapon suggestions for this?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there a way to restock ammo for vehicles?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
EDF:IA is decent enough if only for the dialog. Captain Sully and Intel are hilarious, Lighting Alpha is deadpan to the point of comedy, Ops is...Ops.

I never did figure out how the NPC teammates worked in that game, there were at least three of them and you'd get paired up with two for your whole save and how it was decided who you got seemed to be a mystery. I had Oldman and Cyrus, but apparently there was a dude named Kicker too?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ok I'm thinking this is a coincidence but in this game there is a laser chainsaw used by the EDF and in the design of Duke3d they had a laser chainsaw used by the EDF which turned into the freeze ray before release.

Also is there any point where the laser chainsaw stops being death incarnate to everything?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
God bless This Game and God bless all of us who play It. It is everything 2017 was but just better in every category. My wife and I spent our normal date night plowing through the first 20 missions and we only stopped because it was well after midnight. Holy hell Fencer is amazing! I wasn't certain I'd get behind the lack of mobility but I keep him equipped with the Blood Rain and the Dexter Auto Shotgun for loadout 1 and a small Mirror Ion Shield and a Sword that shoots blades across the map for the other!

Dash cancelling is perfectly easy especially with a small, fast shield so I am now our collector of items. My wife just plays ranger because why not 2017? I literally can't say enough good things about this game and my chest hurts today from laughing so hard for like 4 hours straight. It's absurd and it ramps up so fast I can't help but find everything hysterical.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TescoBag posted:

Is there a way to restock ammo for vehicles?

Shoot better, earn more points, summon new vehicle. :)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bussamove posted:

The Fire Vegalta's canister shot is even more satisfying. Canister for the air, flamethrowers and Charon strafing runs for the ground. :getin:

The fencer just straight up gets a canister shot cannon and it's so amazing. Why yes I want to shoot out 40 pellets that pierce enemies and deal close to rocket launcher damage.

Once I realized the giant tank guns have penetration they became so much more useful.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011
I got the European PSN download of this and the loading times are literally 3-5 minutes.

For the introductory cutscenes for the mission. Then it starts loading again for just as long for the actual mission.

Are anyone else having this problem? Is there a patch coming? Is my PS3 broken?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Zed Di Dragon posted:

I got the European PSN download of this and the loading times are literally 3-5 minutes.

My old, fat, full BC PS3 loads missions and cutscenes in about a minute off disc. Maybe your hard drive is super fragmented or something?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I have a 2011 slim PS3, and the load times in my EU PSN version are about a minute as well. Still way too long to be acceptable in this day and age, but not as bad as yours. Not sure what's going on there.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Load times just seem long in general. I'm on 360, installed and it's easily a minute or more for every level. I'm not certain if that's as intended or what. Makes me itchy when I want to shoot bugs though!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Levantine posted:

Load times just seem long in general. I'm on 360, installed and it's easily a minute or more for every level. I'm not certain if that's as intended or what. Makes me itchy when I want to shoot bugs though!

If you have more than 40 second load times your 360 or its harddrive is probably dying. Or you have no sense of time/exaggerating for effect.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
An important nuance of the Fencer than should be stressed is that nearly everything cancels the dash recovery. Most people talk about using the shield, and it does give you fastest dashes and great ammo economy, but you can cancel dashes with shotguns, handcannons, even the primary attack of the weapon you use to dash. So don't feel like you must use two slots for shield/melee if you have something else you want to try.

Regarding Insect Armageddon, it had two major issues that tipped the game from awesome to a big slog.
First was much fewer enemies at once with much larger health, across all difficulties. Even early on, it takes a really long time to kill a single ant.
Second issue is long long levels with all types of enemies. Variety is normally good, but for an EDF game, this means that many of the fun specialized weapons were unusable on most levels, because they'd work great on the bugs, but then you wouldn't be able to deal with the drones, and the giant robot.

In short, IA is a budget-made game which has budget-made levels of fun (some, but not a great deal), as opposed to 2017 and 2025, which are incredibly-fun games which happen to be budget-made.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I can't believe how much fun this game is. It's really just absurd. I like all the classes, I love the weapons, I love this game.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

If you have more than 40 second load times your 360 or its harddrive is probably dying. Or you have no sense of time/exaggerating for effect.

Naw, I timed it with a stopwatch, and it's factually somewhere between 3-5 minutes. The harddrive dying is feasible, however.

I guess this seems like a good place to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
This game is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Add MC2552John on PSN to play games. I am not usually at my PS3 though, so you can find me on Steam, Origin, or basically anything with the same name to hit me up to play.