Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zohar posted:

What, what the hell? I was mocking it for the length, turns out I should have buckled down and read the drat thing because goddamn :allears:

A country with sufficient power at a certain point can block all transit through a strait. The Denmark example is a bit of hyperbole to the extent that the Kiel Canal exists so as long as the USSR has transit through Germany Denmark can't cut them off entirely. (Denmark plus Germany, though...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

Who is in from the contest? Any of us? Anyone at all?

Gorgo, and two others who participated (that I know of). Looks to be the third round of the contest for the other two. I'm too lazy to look up who exactly but they posted about it here.

As far as entries that get in go, I can do some minor clarifying. Officially "most get in", but there's always those few that don't (the previously linked one a good example). Only those that win the contest get their minister descriptions in game, the rest only get the very basic entry. And unofficially, I "conveniently leave out" photos for those that just don't fit at all (this goes for photos of like roman emperor statues and such too).

So most ministers get in, but only five get anything more than to be background ministers equivalent to randomly generated ones. They all, even contest winners, take a back seat to every historical minister we have and are clearly marked in all files for easy removal. Hope I haven't crushed everyone's dream of teenagers ruling a neo-fascist Germany/Japan.

Patter Song posted:

Um...while that dev diary was pretty silly, the silliness factor wasn't my concern so much as the notion that Denmark could somehow try to revive the Sound Toll and cut the USSR off from the Atlantic by cutting off transit through the Danish straits. This just seems...wrong for the period. Or the notion that the Tartar Straits are important for the Soviets to hold in case they need to "reinforce Vladivostok by sea." By the time you're sending a fleet around Tsushima style to reinforce Vladivostok and keeping the passage between Sakhalin and the coast open is a strategic consideration, your USSR has bigger problems than strait transit.

I'll check with some devs, that doesn't sound right at all and I can maybe get clarification on how that's supposed to work. It may be we miscommunicated, dunno.

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong thing!

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 22, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Patter Song posted:

A country with sufficient power at a certain point can block all transit through a strait. The Denmark example is a bit of hyperbole to the extent that the Kiel Canal exists so as long as the USSR has transit through Germany Denmark can't cut them off entirely. (Denmark plus Germany, though...)
Your mistake is ignoring the fact that Denmark is obviously going to demand the return of its southern territories, which Britain will happily oblige to cut down costs. It will then, using the might of NATO, force Sweden to relinquish control of occupied Danish territory, pushing the Swedes into the arms of the USSR. Then, having gotten a land border with a member of the Warsaw Pact, Denmark receives increased military aid until the entire nation is armed with the newest armaments, nukes included. Controlling both sides of every passage out of the Baltic also allows Denmark to declare these straits internal waterways, making a Soviet violation of them a declaration of war against NATO.

See, it's completely plausible, and I'm happy to see a game that finally acknowledges the opportunities squandered by incompetent Danish politicians.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I wouldn't mind knowing what possible economic or strategic value is found in holding the Strait of Magellan or the New Zealand straits, or in what situations the USSR would ever lose access to the Sea of Azov.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bel Monte posted:

I've also made efforts to steer voting towards better options, though if y'all want to know how bad it can be... (None of that's in game. AT ALL.)

History Marty Sues posted:

...despite being of an immigrant family during the depression he was able to get an education. where he excelled at history and began a deep obsession with history especially military history and above all else than the works of the great julius caesar. edward study Roman and Greek strategies as well as culture officially converting to the hellenic religion when he was 16...

...But as 2nd lieutenant Edward didn't have much say but that didn't stop him from suggesting invasion areas like the normandy beaches and strongly defended his idea even though most of his superiors and peers preferred the pa de calais as the perfect spot...

...so in 1953 Edward now a Colonel but prefer to go by gaius for his love of Rome.lead a secret attack on a North korean and Chinese position which he lead him self because in his mind the only way to lead was from the front...

... well Edward did he was the best mayor to date and after gaining an unprecedented amount of political power formed his own party Senātus Populusque Rōmānus or SPQR for short and took a neo-roman/fascist stance also they had roman crimson and gold as there colors unlike the black most fascist prefered their banner was that of the old SPQR...

... Edward gained the nickname aquila after he lead his men on a flanking maneuver on the loyalist forces where he leap over a ledge and appeared to fly like an eagle and presided to swoop down and kill 15 loyalist with a gladius in on hand and a kukri in the other...

...his first actions as emperor or Gaius was to create a sente like rome he changed the state religion to hellenic and started programs to teach latin to his people most of his followers and inner circle already spoke latin...

...so when in 1955 Francisco introduced the new emperor to Leon. Edward surprised that Trotsky was still alive let alone in his palace left him dumbfounded but after a few hours of socializing with Trotsky felt as if he had known him for ever and offered him as place in his cabinet...

...that's the thing with ahistory it doesn't always make sense plus this series prides its self on what if's anyway. Just admit its a good story even if it's not eligible for the contest...

This is amazing. Flying emperor dual-wielding a gladius and a kukri leading a fascist Roman Empire during the Cold War with Trotsky as his chief of staff. :allears:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Tomn posted:

quote:

he changed the state religion to hellenic and started programs to teach latin to his people

quote:

after a few hours of socializing with Trotsky felt as if he had known him for ever and offered him as place in his cabinet.

quote:

Just admit its a good story

God drat I cannot decide what is best here; renaming Italy to SPQR and adopting a democratic senate as a fascist, changing the state religion to a religion that doesn't exist as a form organized church without any interest from the average citizen, teaching an older archaic form of their own language, or Trotsky wanting a job in a fascist's nostalgic orgy he calls a government. The only reason it's not the worst entry is because it doesn't include Italy then intimidating the Soviet Union so bad it flees to east of the Urals and turns over everything else to Italy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I left it out because it would have taken a boatload of quotes, but for my money one of the best bits is the fact that this guy was born in Spain from a mixed German/Spanish family, moved to the US, ended up serving as a US soldier who performed heroics throughout both World War II and the Korean War...and then decided he wanted to found the new Roman Empire.

So of course our little Germano-Hispanic-American moves to Italy, runs for the position of Mayor of Naples, wins, and in the very same year manages to gain "unprecedented amounts of political power" through voodoo magic one presumes, and thereby wins an election for Presidency of Italy. Not surprisingly the incumbent declares the vote to be have been rigged and thus invalid, which naturally leads to our boy Eddie starting a civil war, where "about 70% of italians including 60% of the military" backed him, and...oh good lord, I missed this quote first time around.

quote:

...and yet again inspired not just his troops but the people of italy which can be present in his 1954 speech to the loyalist force where he stated that even their family supported him and that they themselves are fighting that fact that they support him. after which thousands of loyalist troops surrendered.

So, what, he told the enemy that "Honestly, you guys actually like me, search your hearts and you will find it to be true!" at which point they did so and agreed?

So yeah. Complete foreigner, served in a foreign, hostile country for his entire life, and then moved to Italy and in the same year managed to win both a mayoral and presidential election as well as gaining enough political support to start and win a civil war, mostly by telling people they secretly liked him all along.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

grancheater posted:

Yes, especially early in the game one or two powers can end up using everything, especially if they're at war. Your best bet would be to raise further in the rankings but that's kinda hard to do with no army.

One suggestion I've read about is not leaving supply trade to the AI, instead always stockpiling supplies manually. This has the double benefit of letting you stockpile for any future shortage while also preventing lower-ranked countries from getting supplies. It MIGHT end up screwing the world economy though.

Best way to break the economy is to put a ridiculously high demand for something everyone needs, like Grain and then stockpiling it (but allowing your citizens to tap into it). If you are high enough in the rankings you can cause the entire world to fall into a revolution death spiral as their citizens starve.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DrProsek posted:

God drat I cannot decide what is best here; renaming Italy to SPQR and adopting a democratic senate as a fascist, changing the state religion to a religion that doesn't exist as a form organized church without any interest from the average citizen, teaching an older archaic form of their own language, or Trotsky wanting a job in a fascist's nostalgic orgy he calls a government.

None of those hold a candle to "flying ninja emperor swoops down and kills 15 loyalists with a gladius and a kukri".

Anybody can write a neo-imperial Marty Sue, but only legitxmalarkeyx had the wisdom to realise that what dry 1950s political alt-history really needed was some Fist of the North Star action.

What I am now wondering is whether he's a fairly precocious child or a heavily challenged adult.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
E:^^^
Oh God how I seem to have missed all the most glorious parts :psyduck:

Haha, I skipped midway into it because I figured I should jump right into the heart of the crazy, but it seems I missed some of the best parts that puts later stupid things in a much stupider context. Him not even being Italian makes his Rome fetishization even more bizarre, he somehow won a very prestigious mayorship and then the presidency despite not being an Italian citizen (I guess they just sensed how in tune he was with ancient Rome he was that they just handed him citizenship before he even applied) and not being a politician, is a fascist with a love of really strong legislative branches prone to deadlock over petty bullshit and a weak executive, and in the middle of all of this is Trotsky, after faking his own death, comes out of hiding to help this man run the new Roman Republic (and presumably Trotsky then learned Latin and converted to Hellenistic paganism).

Like I can appreciate a poorly written/thought out story that is still entertaining but at this point just post the flag of the Roman Republic over and over again, it's about as good of fap material a story.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I'm very mad that my completely reasonable and thoroughly researched alternate history was drowned out by such tripe! :saddowns:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm very mad that my reasonable idea to have a flying roman bring back the empire was shot down!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Hey now, if Hitler didn't need German citizenship either to stand for election in Germany, I am sure the future Roman emperor will be fine.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Rogue0071 posted:

I wouldn't mind knowing what possible economic or strategic value is found in holding the Strait of Magellan or the New Zealand straits, or in what situations the USSR would ever lose access to the Sea of Azov.

Assuming this is a serious question, there is no strategic value in controlling any straights in New Zealand, and no economic value unless you really wanted some milk or wool, maybe.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

quote:

... Edward gained the nickname aquila after he lead his men on a flanking maneuver on the loyalist forces where he leap over a ledge and appeared to fly like an eagle and presided to swoop down and kill 15 loyalist with a gladius in on hand and a kukri in the other...

Proposed flag

Sicarius Populusque Romanus

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bel Monte posted:

The AI one is a bit nitty gritty for public consumption too, but whatevs, I'm not in charge of these things. :smith:

No one talking about this? Finally we were told about the underlying AI structure of the game.

I can barely remember how we went on with our lives without knowing this.

grancheater posted:

Proposed flag

Sicarius Populusque Romanus

Hah, this is great.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

None of those hold a candle to "flying ninja emperor swoops down and kills 15 loyalists with a gladius and a kukri".

I imagined it as looking exactly like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ZeptdPPrU.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

No one talking about this? Finally we were told about the underlying AI structure of the game.

Well now I'm sold, the only thing that's left is for the game to be put up for sa- oh.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Wow, I really appreciate these completely transparent changes now that the East vs. West team has included Rucksack with their Lua.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Tomn posted:

This is amazing. Flying emperor dual-wielding a gladius and a kukri leading a fascist Roman Empire during the Cold War with Trotsky as his chief of staff. :allears:

As a Trotskyist I can confirm that this story was 100% fact.

A friend of mine summarized the AI dev diary as such:

quote:

For the purposes of the dev diary all that could just be summarized with "we are using a scripting language called lua for the ai, making it highly moddable, and have optimized the code so that it won't slow down the game"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Are they using JIT lua? I told Zerf to use it oh so many years ago, but probably nobody listened.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So huh, I'm getting a warning message trying to log in to Paradox about how its security certificates have apparently expired, on the other hand I did run a spyware sleep that probably nuked my browser cookies/cache, how do I fix this?

GrossMurpel posted:

You joke, but I dig this stuff as a game designer in training.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
While playing DH I noticed that the Archbishop of Athens is an "efficient sociopath" when he smuggled Jews and tried to save as many lives as he can. Huh.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
There's like three total minister descriptions that could be described as positive and for minor nations I'm pretty sure are randomly assigned rather than in depth psychological reviews done for the best match.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GrossMurpel posted:

Wait a minute, do other Clausewitz-engine export their AI to Lua? I thought it was generally unmodifiable outside of a few things that get exported to text files.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 23, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Wait a minute, do other Clausewitz-engine export their AI to Lua? I thought it was generally unmodifiable outside of a few things that get exported to text files.

If I recall right, they don't. This means moddable AI behavior which was buried under some of the technical stuff. Not sure how moddable it is though, but it's a big step up from hardcoded.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A day has passed and i couldn't help myself from reading that SPQR story again.

The idea that Trotsky ,74 years old, would simply show up at a palace in Italy without anyone noticing, having a chat with a fascist who was even more enamored with the past than a thousand Mussolinis combined and going "yeah dude you know what, count with me".

This was after the mary sue, who was in the Franquist side of the Spanish civil war, saved Trotsky from Stalinist assassins while i guess Trotsky was on a sight seeing tour in Madrid.

His chief of intelligence is a Polish partizan who fled from the Red Army and sent the emperor a letter, which the emperor found good enough to earn him the spot.

It's just amazing :allears:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Personally, I like Edward Maxis Jr., the drunk fascist pedophile, as Chief of Staff and Army.

quote:

because of his father being emperor everyone assumed that everything thing in his life was a gift so when his father pick him to be chief of the army he set out to prove that he could be more than his father and did everything to prove that he earned that position not given it. it didn’t help that he liked his women a little young or that he loved alcohol alittle to much becoming know as the Edward the drunk for most of his career.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Puella Magissima posted:

Personally, I like Edward Maxis Jr., the drunk fascist pedophile, as Chief of Staff and Army.

God, I love how he just casually tosses that fact in, like it's some minor fault or odious personal habit.

"Hmmm, yes, well there is that having sex with minors thing he does, which would be fine by itself, but combined with alcoholism and being a daddy's boy? Well that just goes too far."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I think the not-so-hidden secret here is that it's a CK2 story happening in a WW2/Cold War setting.

16-year-old lovers, of course. The triggered event 'Edward Maxis II is now known as "The Drunk"' happens almost word-by-word. As for Trotsky, he just had a +25 "Tolerant of Jews" and a +100 "Gave me a Ministry" bonus overriding any ideological differences. The Polish spymaster Chief of Intelligence was hanging out in his court after being banished, and one day sent him a letter "My Emperor, I think I would do a better job than [current spymaster]" because he had higher Intrigue.

Unfortunately I don't think I've yet seen a "ninja flip out dual wield eagle attack" event in CK2. I am sure the devs will rectify this shameful omission by next patch.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 23, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mans posted:

A day has passed and i couldn't help myself from reading that SPQR story again.

The idea that Trotsky ,74 years old, would simply show up at a palace in Italy without anyone noticing, having a chat with a fascist who was even more enamored with the past than a thousand Mussolinis combined and going "yeah dude you know what, count with me".

This was after the mary sue, who was in the Franquist side of the Spanish civil war, saved Trotsky from Stalinist assassins while i guess Trotsky was on a sight seeing tour in Madrid.

His chief of intelligence is a Polish partizan who fled from the Red Army and sent the emperor a letter, which the emperor found good enough to earn him the spot.

It's just amazing :allears:

I don't know why the devs threw that one out. The Emperor should be heralded with sightings of comets and virgin birth.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

NihilCredo posted:

I think the not-so-hidden secret here is that it's a CK2 story happening in a WW2/Cold War setting.

16-year-old lovers, of course. The triggered event 'Edward Maxis II is now known as "The Drunk"' happens almost word-by-word. As for Trotsky, he just had a +25 "Tolerant of Jews" and a +100 "Gave me a Ministry" bonus overriding any ideological differences. The Polish spymaster Chief of Intelligence was hanging out in his court after being banished, and one day sent him a letter "My Emperor, I think I would do a better job than [current spymaster]" because he had higher Intrigue.

Unfortunately I don't think I've yet seen a "ninja flip out dual wield eagle attack" event in CK2. I am sure the devs will rectify this shameful omission by next patch.

Well, there is the martial skill improvement ambition event chain with the mysterious warrior from the east...

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Sindai posted:

Only HoI3

Riso posted:

Are they using JIT lua? I told Zerf to use it oh so many years ago, but probably nobody listened.

We did trials and its not a drop-in solution for how we use lua and causes a bunch of hard to fix problems. At this point we optimized though so the lua execution is something like 5% total and its not really a big deal to optimize more when it causes a bunch of issues (read: the time spent making jit work would be better spent elsewhere)

podcat fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 23, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Riso posted:

Hey now, if Hitler didn't need German citizenship either to stand for election in Germany, I am sure the future Roman emperor will be fine.

Hitler did need German citizenship to stand for election in Germany, which is surely the only reason the Emperor wasn't accepted as plausible.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Is it possible for Allies or Comintern to win in HOI3 without playing as England, US or the CCCP? I try to play minor nations but the axis always ends up curling the soviets back to Siberia and repelling England's half-assed D-day attempt. Anyone have allies win by themselves?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sparatuvs posted:

Is it possible for Allies or Comintern to win in HOI3 without playing as England, US or the CCCP? I try to play minor nations but the axis always ends up curling the soviets back to Siberia and repelling England's half-assed D-day attempt. Anyone have allies win by themselves?

Every time I play Axis. :smith:

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

80% of the time when I let the AI run all nations. Sometimes the axis beat the soviets and then will generally only lose to a big american invasion (usually through italy). The few times I see them win on their own its after a quick victory in russia and then invading britain together with italians. It happens quite often that the soviets pull off some larger lucky encirclement and just steamroll europe (go puppet france!). This generally happens only if US are getting their rear end kicked by the japs or they will manage to land and at least liberate france

podcat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 23, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seriously though, I can't seem to log in to the Paradox forums, it says the account site's security certificate has expired, meaning I can't just pm an admin to inform them about it. This has seemed to have happened to a few other people as well. Anyone know what's up?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seriously though, I can't seem to log in to the Paradox forums, it says the account site's security certificate has expired, meaning I can't just pm an admin to inform them about it. This has seemed to have happened to a few other people as well. Anyone know what's up?

Fine for me in Chrome, but then when I logged out/logged back in it didn't use https at all, which is what the security certificate is for, right? Can you take the https out of the link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Sengoku

• Locked thread