Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really wish there were Allpar equivalent sites for every make and model because I'm sure the engineers at Ford and GM and Nissan and whatever all have great stories.

One of my favourite Allpar articles is about how the Neon engine was originally supposed to be two-stroke with direct injection and no head gasket (monoblock). http://www.allpar.com/neon/stroke.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Infiniti teased the Q50 Eau Rouge's engine sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajI6EzIoAlQ

Sounds like the VR38, to me.

NINJA EDIT: also sounds like it may come with a manual option :w00t:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

PeterWeller posted:

I know people will cross shop them because the midsize trucks aren't a very good value proposition compared to the fullsize ones, but like I said, people still buy Frontiers and Tacomas, even though their fuel economy isn't much better and they don't cost much less than Titans and Tundras. And if a Colorado/Canyon customer decides to step up to a fullsize because the midsize doesn't offer much more value for the money, I don't think they will cross shop with other brands. They will more likely just go with a Sierra/Silverado. Brand loyalty is still a big thing in the truck market.

My thinking is the people who go shopping for a Colorado/Canyon will be people specifically looking for a smaller truck for whatever reasons, and the reality of how they stand against the fullsizes won't matter all that much to buyers.

Maybe my car was the exception, but I was looking for a midsize truck in 2010, and wanted a few things- Biggest Engine, 4x4, Manual gearbox. The Ranger would have been close to 30K, pricing itself out from what I saw. The Toyota forced into a double cab for those options, and was at 28-33 depending on options, but the Frontier was priced at 22 out the door. I left GM out, because they didn't make a Colorado with the 5.3 and a manual, and from what I recall it was extremely difficult to find a 4x4 that wasn't automatic even with smaller engines. The titans were all priced at least 5K higher, not including the 4x4 option.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm did some more research on the new GC, apparently you only get the headlight gap thing with the Overland and higher trim levels.

I still think it's a really attractive SUV :shrug:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I wonder what the Grand Wagoneer will look like. Probably like a bigger GC with a different rear end.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

In the most :effort: scenario, a Durango with a 7 slot grill and GC tail lights, which doesn't sound that bad. It might end up much heavier if they beef up its frame for offroad duty, though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Tekne posted:

In the most :effort: scenario, a Durango with a 7 slot grill and GC tail lights, which doesn't sound that bad. It might end up much heavier if they beef up its frame for offroad duty, though.

I remember reading somewhere that the Durango was going to be killed and replaced by the Grand Wagoneer. Most Jeep dealers are also Dodge dealers, so they shouldn't miss out on sales, and since Ram spun off of the Dodge brand, the Durango is kind of a stepchild now anyway. Can't remember where I read it though. The Durango is based on a stretched Grand Cherokee chassis anyway, so it seems to make sense that they'd put them both under the Jeep brand.

And for what it's worth, I also have a 2012 (pre-facelift) WK2 Grand Cherokee and do like the facelifted models, except for those headlights and the way the new grille and bumper area combine to form a big dopey grin. Otherwise, they're very nice cars. I'm not an SUV guy, but I like ours a lot. My wife wanted an SUV, so I decided that if we had to get one, it might as well be a real one, not a crossover.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

awesome-express posted:

Hmm did some more research on the new GC, apparently you only get the headlight gap thing with the Overland and higher trim levels.

It's because that plastic trim piece hides a little robot arm thing that shoots wiper fluid at the headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YD_CqIIbc

It's not exactly a new feature or anything but do get a kick out of how long and skinny that arm is when it shoots out.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really wish there were Allpar equivalent sites for every make and model because I'm sure the engineers at Ford and GM and Nissan and whatever all have great stories.
Here's a good site for British-built cars: http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/

Lots of history on design and development and a lot of prototype pictures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted, and will probably consume a lot of my time approximately forever.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Oh poo poo, I've gone and run out of Internet... gonna have to do some mid-week Internet poo poo on the weekend, gently caress. What's Motor Tre:tviv:

Holy gently caress does Ford know how to make a car look good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Oh poo poo, I've gone and run out of Internet... gonna have to do some mid-week Internet poo poo on the weekend, gently caress. What's Motor Tre:tviv:

Yep.

Wonder if they are going to update engines along with the panels, if its 2015 or 2016, and when they will hit dealers. I'm semi-sorta looking at replacing my 01 V6 mustang with either a focus ST or an escape Ti and drat that is going to make it harder to grab a 2014 if the ST is getting upgraded.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Yep.

Wonder if they are going to update engines along with the panels, if its 2015 or 2016, and when they will hit dealers. I'm semi-sorta looking at replacing my 01 V6 mustang with either a focus ST or an escape Ti and drat that is going to make it harder to grab a 2014 if the ST is getting upgraded.

The article says the base engine will be the same 2.0 but they'll offer the same 1.0T 6MT as in the Fiesta.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are a few Focus RS rumors starting to float about too. 350ish hp, AWD, and the US might get it! I don't believe any of those rumors, but they're out there.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was kind of hoping they'd put a "proper" slushbox in the refreshed Focus. The dry clutch automanual is pretty terrible. But my car's a Job 2 model on the first revision of the clutchpack (apparently there have been several) and probably has a leaking seal or two. All I know is mine shudders all the time, and it gets really bad and audible in hot weather after the car is fully warmed up. It has the shift quality of my old 140,000 mile 90's Taurus.

I'm turning it in in September though so I've decided not to engage in the runaround with the dealer for a fix. It could be all ironed out by now, but even '14 owners are complaining about it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Those problems would be solved if people would just drive a manual like they're supposed to.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Friar Zucchini posted:

Eh, it's not ugly but really just looks like a Hyundai. Pretty generic. :geno:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, it's not ugly but really just looks like a Hyundai. Pretty generic. :geno:

Yeah, I can kinda see a bit of the accent in there if you squint a little

I kinda like the pre-facelift more than this one, maybe it's just the angle.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

The article says the base engine will be the same 2.0 but they'll offer the same 1.0T 6MT as in the Fiesta.
I don't get how the 1.0 eco is an improvement on, well, anything. Even the base 2.0 (not turbo) seems better than the 1.0 eco under USA conditions. Outside, where you get taxed on displacement maybe.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 24, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ilkhan posted:

I don't get how the 1.0 eco is an improvement on, well, anything. Even the base 2.0 (not turbo) seems better than the 1.0 eco under USA conditions. Outside, where you get taxed on displacement maybe.

They're not sold in the same markets currently. The car revealed is the European market version which doesn't have the 2.0l. The 1.0l they are bringing to the Fiesta as an upgrade to the 1.6l but probably won't be for the Focus.

The :911: King Ranch edition will probably look different too.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Which would be?

I'm curious, not snarky or condescending.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Throatwarbler posted:

They're not sold in the same markets currently. The car revealed is the European market version which doesn't have the 2.0l. The 1.0l they are bringing to the Fiesta as an upgrade to the 1.6l but probably won't be for the Focus.

The :911: King Ranch edition will probably look different too.

I'd almost like to see someone shoehorn the 6.7 Powerstroke into a Focus.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Which would be?

Non-urban driving. US isn't as dense as our European contemporaries, so outside of the cities the 1.0 might be a bad thing, at least from the buyer's perspective. Basically a 2.0 would be better suited to handle taller gearing for the interstate.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

YF19pilot posted:

Non-urban driving. US isn't as dense as our European contemporaries, so outside of the cities the 1.0 might be a bad thing, at least from the buyer's perspective. Basically a 2.0 would be better suited to handle taller gearing for the interstate.

Does everybody in the US live in one city and work in another? Or does everybody live as far away from work as possible? How do you guys get such long commutes, or do is it just everybody takes long trips regularly? Canada has a much lower population density and I'd say 90% of most people's driving is city, top speed would be 70-80 kph for the major routes that take you from one end of the city to the other and 50-60 kph otherwise. The exception being the various small rural towns where I can see commutes being mostly highway for anything outside of the small town.

Are US cities really that poorly planned that the majority of people have ridiculously long commutes?

Any idea what the smallest engine available is in the US for various classes of cars? It would be kinda interesting to see the comparison to the euro offerings.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Well, true in most cases. States like Florida and California would rate in the upper half of the EU counting population density.

Granted that the 1.0 ecoboost gets nowhere near the rated numbers on fuel milage, I'd wager it's still cheaper to run than the 2.0, and most importantly it's probably cheaper for Ford to scale down on the different number of engines they offer.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's not necessarily the length of the commute, and it's not a binary toggle between urban driving and interstate highway. It's that you have lots of suburban roads with normal speeds of 80 to 100 km/h with stoplights every half mile or so. Road speeds in general are higher than in Euroland and people don't want their engines screaming every time they pull away from a light or merge.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Which would be?

Cheap-ish gas and no displacement taxes.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

U.S. cities are somewhat opposite of European ones in that dense housing near the CBD can be less desirable than the suburbs surrounding the city, so people live in low density areas and commute to cities. This isn't true in a few cases, NYC has absurd property values in some neighborhoods, Boston too. It's also a function of everyone driving 300hp 6,000lb 4WD cruise missiles at a minimum of 80mph, although the turbo triple should be able to keep up with that, sacrificing economy of course.

A lot of U.S. infrastructure (if you can call it that) was designed around personal cars and cheap fuel, and anyone with the power to actually change that has no interest in anything reaching beyond the next election cycle, not to mention starting expensive infrastructure projects are not great for poll numbers, unless your business buddies are getting a healthy contract with a vague budget limit. Probably doesn't help that the U.S. has a mass transit system in the same way Mitsubishi has an automotive division.

e: For example, where I live if I wanted to go out for lunch and stop at the bank, I'd be driving for roughly 20 minutes round trip, and half of that would be on a three lane highway at 70. In the slow lane, being passed. The rest would be sitting at lights or fighting traffic pulling out of a parking lot. And people wonder why I don't go anywhere on my days off :v:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Cheap-ish gas and no displacement taxes.

Well, the only country in the EU that still has a displacement tax is Belgium (on cars sold new, cars sold before a certain date is taxed according to the rules when they where sold, which means a whole lot more countries).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

Does everybody in the US live in one city and work in another? Or does everybody live as far away from work as possible?

Both. Can't live in the city because I need space and there are also dangerous minorities there.

I actually reverse commute, so I'm not really any better.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
~80 mile commute (each way), 5 days/week

In this:

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 24, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I only have a 16 mile commute, but it's from a non-city area to a non-city area and 90% of it is highway. There are only a little bit at either end that's not 70mph freeway with no traffic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also commuting isn't the only reason to ever drive and if you want to even go to another biggish city in the US that's not flying distance it's going to be hours of freeway driving. And even if you fly, you'll probably have to rent a car once you get there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, quite a few of my friends live up to 25-30 miles away. So, if we are to do anything together, it involves a bit of driving.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Before I moved to my new place last month, my commute was roughly 36 miles each way, mostly on the interstate (which depending on traffic could be either ~40 minutes at ~60-70mph or 80 minutes of stop and go at 15-30mph)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, the only country in the EU that still has a displacement tax is Belgium (on cars sold new, cars sold before a certain date is taxed according to the rules when they where sold, which means a whole lot more countries).

France and Spain both still have weird horse-steam taxes that favor low-displacement engines, as well as parts of Switzerland.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Snowdens Secret posted:

people don't want their engines screaming every time they pull away from a light or merge.

speak for yourself :colbert:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You drive a 940, thumbs. That engine wouldn't scream even if you cut its nuts off and salted the wounds. :v:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 25, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All this talk about urban planning and commuting distance and all that is really just a red herring. The stats show (at least in the UK) simular average annual mileages to North America. The difference is people do those mileages in small displacement diesels and petrol engines cars. Why? Cost of fuel and tax. My friend commutes from Swindon to Heathrow in a one liter Citroën C1. That's about 70-80 miles down the m4 at anywhere between 70 and 90mph in good traffic. There's nothing preventing a small car doing long distance and higher speeds except the driver being intimidated by all the huge trucks around them (this is a real thing for a lot of people).

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I wouldn't worry about large SUVs and pickups in a small car if I had the slightest faith in the people driving them. If I drove a small hatchback I'd have that fucker lit up like a Paddy Hopkirk themed Christmas parade float. Do European countries have a more courteous driving style? Here if you want to change lanes it's as likely as not the guy behind you will speed up and block you to assert his dominance or whatever.

e: vvv In the US you're expected to risk your life getting into work without a second thought (for most jobs anyway), extra displacement isn't going to matter there and small cars are perfectly safe. You're still dealing with people on half-bald all seasons with suspension in various states of disintegration who also have to get to work RIGHT NOW.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
The UK also shuts down at the slightest hint of snow. Try driving that same 70 mile commute with -10F degree weather with snowfall/ice and heavy winds in a one liter Citroën C1 for 5 months in a row.