Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Regardless. The Note 10.1 2014 does have a RGBW pentile arrangement while the N10 does not. They are not the same screen.

Interesting. I can't see any pentile-ness in it at all (I didn't look at the specifics on that). At the density on the screen it's pretty irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AlexDeGruven posted:

Interesting. I can't see any pentile-ness in it at all (I didn't look at the specifics on that). At the density on the screen it's pretty irrelevant.
It's under 300PPI, which is less than the Galaxy Nexus. The GN had very noticeable PenTile, and supposedly the RGBW is more noticeable than RGBG. So either it's gotten better or you're one of the lucky people that can't see it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Bing the Noize posted:

Speaking of news and rumors, is there any word of anything with a screen to rival the N10's coming out anytime soon? The N10 is ugly as sin and lack of removable storage is dumb as h*ck. Mostly I don't wanna spend 350-400 on a late 2012 device...

Last week I forgot my N10 to a computer lab and no one even bothered to steal it. It was right where I had left it when I finally realized something is missing.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
So I've kind of got my eye on a Nexus 7 32 GB on Amazon for $240. Possibly the price change is from the President's Day sale? I liked the smaller form factor on a previous tablet, and while I know the LG G Pad is only $250 on Newegg right now, I don't want to root and don't think I could stomach LG's changes. Is this my best option right now, including buying from Amazon vs Google Play, where it's more expensive, or is there some new hotness/deal I'm better off waiting for?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you can't see it count yourself lucky and don't try looking to closely

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Irradiated Haggis posted:

So I've kind of got my eye on a Nexus 7 32 GB on Amazon for $240. Possibly the price change is from the President's Day sale? I liked the smaller form factor on a previous tablet, and while I know the LG G Pad is only $250 on Newegg right now, I don't want to root and don't think I could stomach LG's changes. Is this my best option right now, including buying from Amazon vs Google Play, where it's more expensive, or is there some new hotness/deal I'm better off waiting for?

If you're in the US you can find the N7 for quite a bit less than $240. Keep your eyes open. Check some deals sites.

It's on sale at micro center for $199 this weekend in fact.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 28, 2019

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

GregNorc posted:

So my Macbook's trackpad has died. I am getting a free laptop from my internship in a few months, so I don't want to buy a new laptop just yet. (Out of applecare)

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good android trackpad app? When I'm sitting on my couch watching a movie, it's a pain to use a mouse.

Unified remote

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

fondue posted:

Other than the slightly larger screen how does it compare to a Nexus 7? Is the Nexus 7 faster? Does anyone know?
Though it has almost exactly the same processor as the 2013 N7 (even slightly higher clocked, actually), several reviews have complained about choppier performance than the N7, which probably has to do with LG's modifications to android. That said I'd be surprised if it didn't function as well as the N7 if you get the Google Play edition.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have no use for a 7 inch tablet due to my phone, but I'm in the market for a 10 inch and I desperately want to avoid an iPad.

I went to get a hands on with a few 10 inch tablets today, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and Note pro 12.1, plus the Sony Xperia Z tablet was there too.

All of them are kind of embarrassing to be honest compared to current iPads: build in general is horrible on the Samsungs and the interface was laggy just scrolling through the homescreens & widgets. They both have chrome coloured plastic around the entire rim, just fugly. And fake leather on the back.

The Sony feels solid and high quality, but the software skin looks pretty bad compared to stock android. Also, the processor is a generation behind my phone (N5), which just seems ridiculous considering it's still going for £350 in the UK.

At least both of them have SD slots...

Google badly need to release a new 10 inch tablet, sort out decent accessories for launch (the case selection is half the appeal of iPads IMO), and actually market it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2019

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I know you are, read more.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

SB35 posted:

If you're in the US you can find the N7 for quite a bit less than $240. Keep your eyes open. Check some deals sites.

It's on sale at micro center for $199 this weekend in fact.

Thank you so much! I was able to have Staples price match that and got a $25 gift card. Very pleased with my new tablet!

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out more about rooting my Tab 3. Just got it and am really interested in rooting it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Koppite posted:

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out more about rooting my Tab 3. Just got it and am really interested in rooting it.
Why don't you use your tablet for awhile before you break it?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Koppite posted:

Maybe try the Rooted Android thread.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009

wooger posted:

I have no use for a 7 inch tablet due to my phone, but I'm in the market for a 10 inch and I desperately want to avoid an iPad.

I went to get a hands on with a few 10 inch tablets today, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and Note pro 12.1, plus the Sony Xperia Z tablet was there too.

All of them are kind of embarrassing to be honest compared to current iPads: build in general is horrible on the Samsungs and the interface was laggy just scrolling through the homescreens & widgets. They both have chrome coloured plastic around the entire rim, just fugly. And fake leather on the back.

The Sony feels solid and high quality, but the software skin looks pretty bad compared to stock android. Also, the processor is a generation behind my phone (N5), which just seems ridiculous considering it's still going for £350 in the UK.

Google badly need to release a new 10 inch tablet, sort out decent accessories for launch (the case selection is half the appeal of iPads IMO), and actually market it.

Honestly, Android just really sucks when it comes to 10" tablets. I can personally only recommend people the 7-8" tablets like the Nexus 7. I know people like to take a dump on Windows 8, but it is a drat fine OS on a 10" tablet. Every app is optimized for the large screen and they have all the basics apps people need, like Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, etc and if there's something missing, there is always full fat Windows desktop to fall back on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was talk of Google moving to ChromeOS for 10" devices instead of Android, and there is actually a bit of sense to it. I think I'd be more inclined to buy a 10" Chrometab than another Nexus 10. My N10 doesn't get used very much (whereas my N7 gets used every day).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

There was talk of Google moving to ChromeOS for 10" devices instead of Android, and there is actually a bit of sense to it. I think I'd be more inclined to buy a 10" Chrometab than another Nexus 10. My N10 doesn't get used very much (whereas my N7 gets used every day).
I got rid of my 10 after I got the 2013 N7. I miss it sometimes, but the 7 works just as well or better in 90% of cases.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I have to say I've had thoughts of selling off my Nexus 10 to pick up a 10-11" windows (not RT) tablet like the Venue 11 pro or something. I think i'm going to wait until the successor of the current baytrail though.

However, the Nexus 7 (2013) still remains my go to device 95% of the time. It's the perfect size for couch browsing.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

wooger posted:

I have a Sony Xperia Z tablet that I love. The skin is the probably the worst part, but fairly inoffensive and the build quality is superb. Plus, it's waterproof. I use it in all the time in the kitchen to show recipes, and if I spill chocolate sauce or something on it I can just rinse it off.

Admittedly, I got in on an open-box deal for $250, and I wouldn't spend the $450 on it that it usually costs, but it's a solid 10.1" tablet if you can get a deal on it.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I just bought a Nexus 7 2013 and I'm getting the "authentication problem" that seems to be plaguing them. It connects just fine to the wifi at work and the local coffee shop, but refuses to on my home wifi. I see this problem all over the internet with no real solution. I've tried entering the "original" router password, manually entering the network info, and doing a cache partition wipe. These are all solutions that supposedly work for other people, but all failed for me.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
From the "OMG this is so simple, why can't I solve it" department:

The lockscreen of my Asus Transformer TF300 shows the date, number of unread emails and the weather. Never felt the need to configure it further, that's what it's always done. But irritatingly, while the weather is for my home location (London) the temperature is shown in Fahrenheit. And I can't figure how to get it to show Celsius. Where is the drat setting for this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

That 70s Shirt posted:

I just bought a Nexus 7 2013 and I'm getting the "authentication problem" that seems to be plaguing them. It connects just fine to the wifi at work and the local coffee shop, but refuses to on my home wifi. I see this problem all over the internet with no real solution. I've tried entering the "original" router password, manually entering the network info, and doing a cache partition wipe. These are all solutions that supposedly work for other people, but all failed for me.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Have you rebooted your router?

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Cojawfee posted:

Have you rebooted your router?

Yeah, that didn't work either. I did find a solution, though. I tried the "direct" link using the router's WPS button and that works until I actually power down my tablet, then I need to do it again. So I guess as long as I only let it hibernate I should be okay. Thanks for the advice , though.

full point
Jan 21, 2006

outlier posted:

From the "OMG this is so simple, why can't I solve it" department:

The lockscreen of my Asus Transformer TF300 shows the date, number of unread emails and the weather. Never felt the need to configure it further, that's what it's always done. But irritatingly, while the weather is for my home location (London) the temperature is shown in Fahrenheit. And I can't figure how to get it to show Celsius. Where is the drat setting for this?

This might be the answer.

Also I think you have to save after you change it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That 70s Shirt posted:

Yeah, that didn't work either. I did find a solution, though. I tried the "direct" link using the router's WPS button and that works until I actually power down my tablet, then I need to do it again. So I guess as long as I only let it hibernate I should be okay. Thanks for the advice , though.

Try changing your wireless settings con your router. The option "Mode 11/bgn mixed" to 11/bg mixed. That worked for me with my TF201 at home.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 23, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If anyone is crazy enough to pick up the Note 12.2, please post your opinions here. I'm tempted, supremely tempted, but that Magazine UX has to go.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So my mum picked up a Nexus 7 to use for reading books, using the web and playing games.

One thing she finds confusing is the widgets in the app drawer - she doesn't quite get the difference between them and apps, so is there any way to remove them so when you bring up the app drawer it only shows apps not widgets?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

So my mum picked up a Nexus 7 to use for reading books, using the web and playing games.

One thing she finds confusing is the widgets in the app drawer - she doesn't quite get the difference between them and apps, so is there any way to remove them so when you bring up the app drawer it only shows apps not widgets?

You could use apex or Nova launcher since you can change what's on the app drawer. You could also use the Google experience launcher it only shows the apps in the app drawer.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...e-apk-download/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
People actually use the app drawer for more than initially populating their homescreens with shortcuts and widgets?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

JoeMB posted:

You could use apex or Nova launcher since you can change what's on the app drawer. You could also use the Google experience launcher it only shows the apps in the app drawer.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...e-apk-download/

That worked great thanks, just had to rework the widgets a bit afterwards.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GutBomb posted:

People actually use the app drawer for more than initially populating their homescreens with shortcuts and widgets?

Are you one of those people that have a hundred icons on their PC desktop instead of just using the built-in organized list of applications?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you one of those people that have a hundred icons on their PC desktop instead of just using the built-in organized list of applications?

I keep my most used apps on the home screen of my N7 and some lesser used ones off on the other screen. 90% of the time it prevents me from having to open the app drawer. If his mom is going to the app drawer for everything, she might not know about being able to drag them to the home screen. I would suggest he find out what apps she needs the most and put those on the home screen. And besides, the widgets shouldn't show up until after she gets to the end of the apps.

doomtuba
Jul 1, 2009
Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 the other day. Didn't like the Magazine UX launcher so I installed the Google Now launcher. The Samsung Internet app seems to be much smoother than Google Chrome so I'm using that. The screen on this thing is GORGEOUS. I'm pleased with it so far. I had a Nexus 7, but the screen was too small. This thing is just right.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

doomtuba posted:

Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 the other day. Didn't like the Magazine UX launcher so I installed the Google Now launcher. The Samsung Internet app seems to be much smoother than Google Chrome so I'm using that. The screen on this thing is GORGEOUS. I'm pleased with it so far. I had a Nexus 7, but the screen was too small. This thing is just right.

This looks legit, I'm gonna have to go play with one at best buy. Currently on a Nexus 7 but higher resolution catches my interest.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's my main home screen. Then off to the sides I have the widgets use.

This is my phone but I use the same paradigm on my n10.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

It's like Windows 3.1 :allears:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I picked up a Viewsonic G-Tablet from a yard sale today, I'd like to turn it into a movie player for the kids on a road trip. Can anyone point me to a current rom for this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
If it's one of those white bodied ones running Froyo, you may be SOL, but you can compare the device stats in Settings > About Device(or whatever Froyo called it) to the Gtab on xda, as the differences might be cosmetic. If it's the model I'm thinking of they don't even have the play store. Something old as poo poo like CM7 or CM9 plus GAPPS would probably be an improvement feature wise, but the "butter" (or whatever) of CM10.1/JellyBean may turn out to be a better bet for performance.

Get comfortable with flashing roms and test a few.

People here seem to find xda-developers forums incoherent gibberish, so a quick tip is to read the stickied HOW-TO(unlock/root/flash custom recovery) threads that apply to you, the detailed instructions in the OP for whatever ROM you are trying, and ALWAYS read the last page or two of the thread because that's where people will be shouting about what doesn't work or if a bad ROM is causing bootloops/bricks. It's pretty straightforward if you could set the timer on a vcr, you can flash ROMS.

Alternately screw the effort, grab the cheapest-to-free video player that promises codec support, and test support for whatever media you'll be putting on it.