Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We all agree this is the best game since 2017, and should be winning every single award out there this coming year. Best RPG, Best Roguelike, Best FPS, Best Adventure, Best Puzzler, best everything. GOTY 2014 no questions asked. It's done.

So what actually bugs you about this game that you'd like to see fixed in the upcoming PS4 version?

1. Ants biting you for too long. I don't mind this mechanic, but when your two weapons are instant death #1 and instant death #2, you have no option of sitting there for a minute being chewed on before being let go. How about just letting the person being chewed for half a second and flung across the map?

2. Those red air things just have too much health. It's not fun, it's annoying.

3. Corpses block movement. Why why why WHY.

4. Vehicles handle too slow. You fixed the underpowered weapon part, now fix the slug movement of everything.

5. The code that recognizes you have a big explodey gun out and tells all creatures to get right in your face. Even air support stuff will fly around away from you normally, but when you switch weapons, their patterns change and come in close to your face. Not fun, its annoying.

6. Relax item restrictions more, or just allow the option to have them turned off from the beginning of the game.

7. Items on the ground should have unique icons instead of green dot. Or maybe a green dot with a number on it or a green dot with a smaller white, yellow, black dot inside the dot. I want to know what those dots are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Give the Wing Divers an actual voice-acted phrase for the EDF shouts.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

. The code that recognizes you have a big explodey gun out and tells all creatures to get right in your face. Even air support stuff will fly around away from you normally, but when you switch weapons, their patterns change and come in close to your face. Not fun, its annoying.

This is entirely inside your mind. Enemies are in your face all the time if they are able to.

Also you need to have a safe weapon with you. The ants' new grabby bitey action is meant to teach you this.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Philthy posted:

1. Ants biting you for too long. I don't mind this mechanic, but when your two weapons are instant death #1 and instant death #2, you have no option of sitting there for a minute being chewed on before being let go. How about just letting the person being chewed for half a second and flung across the map?

Somehow I got out of an ants jaws without it dying I think. I believe I was mashing jump and somehow jumped out of his mouth.

quote:

3. Corpses block movement. Why why why WHY.

Because they changed it in EDF:IA and it sucked.

quote:

4. Vehicles handle too slow. You fixed the underpowered weapon part, now fix the slug movement of everything.

Vehicles are fine. The lower level ones suck compared to higher level ones, as it should be.

quote:

5. The code that recognizes you have a big explodey gun out and tells all creatures to get right in your face. Even air support stuff will fly around away from you normally, but when you switch weapons, their patterns change and come in close to your face. Not fun, its annoying.

This isn't real, you're imagining it. Enemies are either after you or after someone else, they don't care what weapon you have equipped.

quote:

6. Relax item restrictions more, or just allow the option to have them turned off from the beginning of the game.

This makes it fun and more challenging. Forcing you to utilize all your weapons instead of sticking to the best pair. I enjoy it quite a bit. Not always winning is fun!

quote:

7. Items on the ground should have unique icons instead of green dot. Or maybe a green dot with a number on it or a green dot with a smaller white, yellow, black dot inside the dot. I want to know what those dots are.

Forces you to decide between going for the health you can see or risk the unknown.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is entirely inside your mind. Enemies are in your face all the time if they are able to.

Also you need to have a safe weapon with you. The ants' new grabby bitey action is meant to teach you this.

What it's actually teaching you is to play the best class, also known as Fencer, because then you will always have a safe melee weapon for your dash cancelling.

Seriously, the Jackhammer is already hilarious but when you use it while being grabbed by an ant it turns into a cartoon cloud of blood and robot fists.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They need to fix the Retairius. Getting set up to die in 30 seconds by a monster you can't even get to see in that time is just stupid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This is my first real EDF game(I played and beat IA on the PC and it was okay but very mediocre). I played a few missions with my friends last night. On our last mission of the night, the mission where the giant walker that shits hectors first appeared, we got basically obliterated; it was down to all of us scattered and trying desperately to stay alive long enough to win. Finally it was down to my one friend playing Wing Diver, alone against like 100 drones and 10 hectors, fleeing for his life with a sliver of health. The airstrike comes in and blows up the walker right as the hectors finally catch up to my friend and kill him. We sat there in silence for a minute until the MISSION COMPLETE scrolled onto the screen while I watch the camera pan around my corpse.

Our response was to start spamming EDF! EDF!. :911:

(Incidentally, is it just me or are Fencer miniguns worthless? They do piss poor damage, have horrible accuracy, and their recoil is almost impossible to tame. I'm having much more success sticking with hand cannons or the auto-shotguns for basically every enemy. When I'm not "accidentally" team killing with mortars. :getin:)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

haveblue posted:

They need to fix the Retairius. Getting set up to die in 30 seconds by a monster you can't even get to see in that time is just stupid.

It's super cheesy in level 5 when a Retiarius at the far side of the level flings a web and starts pulling you across the the entire map. They shouldn't be able to fling webbingthread through buildings.

Kanos posted:

(Incidentally, is it just me or are Fencer miniguns worthless? They do piss poor damage, have horrible accuracy, and their recoil is almost impossible to tame. I'm having much more success sticking with hand cannons or the auto-shotguns for basically every enemy. When I'm not "accidentally" team killing with mortars. :getin:)

MC2552John is pretty beast with them, especially underground. We destroyed the first underground level on Hard with just the two of us way faster than I did with a full party of 4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Air Tortoises cure Retariuses.

Kanos posted:

(Incidentally, is it just me or are Fencer miniguns worthless? They do piss poor damage, have horrible accuracy, and their recoil is almost impossible to tame.
Yeah, I have found no use for them at all. Doubly so for the flame variants because of their short range. Also you forgot the ridiculous spin-up time before you can use them.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Just picked my copy up. This 8 hour shift at work will be the longest ever.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Any confirmation on EU and US working together in multiplayer now the EU version is out?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Fencer Miniguns are nice for keeping Hectors from firing. They also work from a pretty decent distance if you are in a level like Crimson with a straight line of enemies coming at you.

I wish Hectors had collision detection for one another. I hate it when they end up melting into one mega Hector.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is there a limit to how many armor pickups will actually count towards increasing your max? I picked up like 20 in one mission and afterwards my armor had only gone up by 6.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

iastudent posted:

Is there a limit to how many armor pickups will actually count towards increasing your max? I picked up like 20 in one mission and afterwards my armor had only gone up by 6.

It takes more than one pickup for each point of max increase.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

iastudent posted:

I was confused until I looked it up too! Wing Divers need ~5 per point. Each pickup for Fencer = 0.58 armour and for Air Raider/Ranger it's 0.46 I remember seeing somewhere.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really wish some enemies could't shoot through walls. In the mission to take out the queen its lave breath just killed me by stun locking me while I was hiding in a tunnel. I've noticed the spider webs can do the same thing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
The Air Raider's death roombas are pretty fun for the cave missions.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good weapon for a Wing Diver to go along with Plasma? I've just been taking the starter Plasma launcher and finding upgrades to it. Think I'm on an E4. Found a Dual launcher but it shoots out in a completely useless V-shape. I need a weapon that doesn't take energy from the WD's supply, if possible. Not sure what all's good to use for them yet.

I like Thunder snipers, since the constant-beam rifles drain energy too quick, but it's a bad combo for soloing.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
I haven't played the Wing Diver yet, but when I was rocking Pale Wing in 2017P, I quite liked taking either a...Rapier style weapon, if I'm recalling the name right(sprays of tiny lasers in front of you wildly, like a shotgun and a firehouse and a rock concert got real drunk and had an orgy-baby), or a long-range straight-on laser, depending on the exact mission and the nature of my launcher.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A Wing Diver who leave a Rapier at home is a shameful little bitch.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Obsurveyor posted:

MC2552John is pretty beast with them, especially underground. We destroyed the first underground level on Hard with just the two of us way faster than I did with a full party of 4.

The secret is to keep screaming things like "AMERICAAAAAAAA!" and "SUCK IT YOU FUCKERS!!!!!" and "CHARLIE IN THE TREES!!!!!"

general chaos
May 20, 2001

ChibiSoma posted:

What's a good weapon for a Wing Diver to go along with Plasma? I've just been taking the starter Plasma launcher and finding upgrades to it. Think I'm on an E4. Found a Dual launcher but it shoots out in a completely useless V-shape. I need a weapon that doesn't take energy from the WD's supply, if possible. Not sure what all's good to use for them yet.

I like Thunder snipers, since the constant-beam rifles drain energy too quick, but it's a bad combo for soloing.
Almost anything in the "Mid Range Electric" category. They'll have their own separate ammo capacity that will last a while if you need to sit and recharge, they pierce through enemies AND bounce around cave walls. They make short work of any tunnel scenario.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Okay, I've been messing around with helicopters some more, and despite my previous assertation that they suck as much as they did in 2017, my opinion is slowly coming around. The usual controls are

Left Trigger: Ascend
Right Trigger: Primary Weapon
Right Bumper: Secondary weapon
A Button: Descend (I think)

Left Stick banks, Right Stick turns. That's the important part, the RIGHT STICK TURNS. You kinda need a gentle touch though, it's easy to overcompensate. I've also found you can ascend to a certain height and maneuver around without holding the L. Trigger, but the copter will slowly descend, so a brief touch on the trigger will keep you aloft.

Helicopters do seem to be useful on certain maps where you have a lot of room to maneuver.

Oh, by the way, I WANT THIS MECH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVampHRtMGs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does it not have pilot weapons?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Does it not have pilot weapons?

The pilot would be far too busy cackling and stepping on houses to make proper use of weapons anyway.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

Vehicles are fine. The lower level ones suck compared to higher level ones, as it should be.

I'm only about 3/4 through normal, and the mech is just too slow to turn or do anything. It doesn't feel awesome, it feels the opposite of awesome. If the later level ones get nice and quick, then ignore this complaint I guess.

Obsurveyor posted:

This makes it fun and more challenging. Forcing you to utilize all your weapons instead of sticking to the best pair. I enjoy it quite a bit. Not always winning is fun!

The problem is, they only applied this to the online portion. I can use anything I want offline, and it's a blast. But if a buddy and I want to play like this, we can't? Doesn't make sense.

Obsurveyor posted:

Forces you to decide between going for the health you can see or risk the unknown.

It makes cleaning up levels at the end of the game frustrating as hell.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Guess who just literally, as he was reading this, got one? :chord: I'm not sure I'll ever be able to summon one in an actual mission, it costs 9000 points for a single hot drop.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I need to know which mission that Proteus can be obtained in. And then we need to farm the hell out of that mission until it drops.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

general chaos posted:

I need to know which mission that Proteus can be obtained in. And then we need to farm the hell out of that mission until it drops.

Mission 11 on Inferno is where I got mine. I suspect there's multiple versions of it because it's level is only 53.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

The pilot would be far too busy cackling and stepping on houses to make proper use of weapons anyway.
If I remember right, Proteus can walk straight through skyscrapers without even slowing down.

The only problem is, for the missile seats, the camera always gets stuck up behind the machine itself and you can barely see anything. It hardly matters though, just pull the trigger when the entire screen is full of red target indicators.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Philthy posted:

The problem is, they only applied this to the online portion. I can use anything I want offline, and it's a blast. But if a buddy and I want to play like this, we can't? Doesn't make sense.

Just get 75% completion and you can do it. :laugh:

quote:

It makes cleaning up levels at the end of the game frustrating as hell.

I've played through so many EDFs that I'm totally immune to it, it's just part of playing the games. It helps if you have a Pale Wing to just clean up as you go, since they're the fastest.

edit: Fired up Global Defence Force on my computer for the first time in ages and just looked through all the missions again. Man, oh man. 71 missions, centipedes, rolly-pollies, those weird beetles, Saurous, the night missions, yellow jackets, war of the worlds robots and flying rear end in a top hat robots of all kinds! I really hope some of this made it to 2025.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 22, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are there weapons unique to Easy, or do they drop in Normal too?

Philthy posted:

I'm only about 3/4 through normal, and the mech is just too slow to turn or do anything. It doesn't feel awesome, it feels the opposite of awesome. If the later level ones get nice and quick, then ignore this complaint I guess.

3/4 through normal is less than 1/5 through the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

They never get VERY quick, but don't forget to use the jump jets to get around quickly.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Never played EDF before. I was under the impression that weapons would level up as you use them. I'm on mission 7 and have been using mostly the same weapons since the start but they're still level 0. Does leveling unlock in a later mission or am I just doing something wrong?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

Never played EDF before. I was under the impression that weapons would level up as you use them. I'm on mission 7 and have been using mostly the same weapons since the start but they're still level 0. Does leveling unlock in a later mission or am I just doing something wrong?

Weapon levels have to do with restricting what you can use in online, it serves no other purpose. You get better weapons that are similar to previous ones by picking up drops on higher levels/difficulties. Weapon drops are entirely random but level+difficulty typically defines a set of weapons you're going to receive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

You'll start getting above rank 0 weapons around level 10 I think. I believe the weapon ranks you will get look something like this (across the whole game at this difficulty level, meaning the highest number is the weapon rank you will get on the last stage)

easy: 0-15
normal: 0-30 (meaning playing through on easy is completely redundant)
hard: 20-50
hardest: 40-70
inferno: 60-99

edit: I'm mostly just guessing though, I haven't beaten the game on anything above Normal, and to tell the truth, I don't really care; I just go online and find a room with a stage/difficulty level where the weapon rank I will get will fill a hole in my collection, and play that. I have almost forgotten that a linear progression of levels like in the single player game exists.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 23, 2014

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Don't play on Easy/Normal because you'll only get Lv0-7 weapon drops from Missions 1-30. Mission 1 has a weapon drop range of Lv8-20 on Hard, Lv0-45 on Hardest, and Lv0-50 on Inferno.

For comparison, you won't start seeing Lv20 weapons until you're on at least Mission 80 on Easy and Mission 75 on Normal.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Oh god, I suck at this game. And I love it.

Just got done playing the mission with the giant walker robot with some randoms online. Nuking stuff is awesome, until you unload a salvo of missiles and then roll by instinct to dodge oncoming fire. Whoops.

As an added insult to injury, we all died at the end of the mission but still passed.

...Then the giant robot fell on my corpse.

I love this game.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming multiplayer again with randoms for now at least as long as I can find Hard+ rooms that are deep in missionwise.
http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Doing some hard online coop (level 16 now) on 360. Message gimea rubdown or join through the metatag

e: full

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 23, 2014