Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

NovemberMike posted:

Eh, Lichbane and DFG don't synergize but they are probably the two most broken AP items right now (and arguably Zhonyas as the third) and just grabbing both gives you a ton of power early on.

Actually Lichbane procs as magic damage which is amplified by DFG, adding a 0.75 AP ratio to your magic burst, so they synergize really well. The difficulty is weaving in the auto during the DFG debuff time. Deathcap is still better in most situations, but I wouldn't say they would have won 15 minutes earlier if Shiphtur had picked up a Deathcap. The Leona ults cost them a lot more than the Lichbane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

NovemberMike posted:

Eh, Lichbane and DFG don't synergize but they are probably the two most broken AP items right now (and arguably Zhonyas as the third) and just grabbing both gives you a ton of power early on.

Thing is lichbane is really broken once you have a ton of ap, not that much before it. Kayle, Fizz and Lulu get it earlier because their burst relies even more on AA, Ahri's doesn't.

Lucian rushing bork instead of getting triforce vs AP burst slowed them down as well, the rushed banshees because they got ahead kind of countered it. And again nintendude missed so many q's when a few clutch ones could've turned the game earlier slowed them down too. I'd argue that the biggest thing in Coast falling apart in terms of closing out the game was Leona missing ALL her last ults however.

ALso this is why i follow C9 Meteos' Ego on twitter "yeah the rear end to shiphtur ratio is enormous after that play, he's gonna need more than 3 charges of spirit rush to get through all the chicks"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

babydonthurtme posted:

I don't even know what to say about that game. 5 more mins and Coast would probably have lost, and man, TSM was either seriously underestimating Coast, or Bjergsen was tilting on Gragas or something.

Bjerg not getting access to a true assassin hobbled them something fierce, in my opinion. The dude is, if not the backbone of the team, a major vertebra when he's on a good assassin like Zed or Leblanc. I think teams like Coast are starting to catch on to this.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Vermain posted:

Coast would've lost that one if Bjerg had made better use of his ult and WildTurtle hadn't stuck himself in fart gently caress Baron Pit Hell for whatever reason. It was a really great ending, but I'm hoping Coast takes this game to heart, because losing with a giant lead like that would have been a disaster.

Turtle did that several times, and Daydreamin played like poo poo as well. That's how MOBAs are, especially League. The execution skill cap is very low and prediction, coordination and avoiding mistakes is basically what games come down to. Games like that are still fun to watch.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Voyboy's about to ruin Leblanc's win rate.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
Hah, didn't see the first few minutes of the game, now i have a better understanding why TSM lost. Their jungler got royally hosed and Ahri got big off of it.

People saying that Bjerg didn't carry 90%+ of the game like he usually does need to step back and actually look at what they're saying, other than Dyrus doing well in ONE game and Turtle carrying the other 9% (when he's not mis-positioning) the rest of TSM really hasn't shown off and if they're the ones getting Bjerg's opponent in midlane fed there's no reason in hell he should be held accountable; i mean the guy hit level 18 first in the game vs a team that was miles ahead and had enough CS to be as relevant as ahri. The only real mistake i could've called on his part was using his ult to finish off baron in that last fight, that was mostly a team-call that Oddone could've prevented if he had faith in his own smiting.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Pretty sure Bjerg has a good grag, he just didn't play very well outside of CSing.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If a team gets Thresh and Elise on pick cycle 1, you hosed up.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Obviously Curse will now proceed to stomp C9...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Goddamn Lemon just can't pull off that beard.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008

spacebrospiff posted:

Pretty sure Bjerg has a good grag, he just didn't play very well outside of CSing.

Dude, his jungler died at level 1 so he had no jungle pressure, Ahri got the kill so she was already ahead, he got his rear end constantly roamed on by Leona (before she started missing all ults) and Vi which meant he could not get away from the CC and he still pulled off big numbers and stayed relevant and was the main reason Coast didn't end easier. And people like you STILL look to him first for not carrying the poo poo out of the game in these circumstances, are you kidding me?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can't believe Sneaky stayed alive there. Well done.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
They need to stop going in on Hai and try to focus Sneaky at this point. Hai is worth almost nothing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Welp.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
This game has been very interesting to watch on account of how better a strategic game C9 is playing than Curse. They've made mistakes, but they've somehow converted all those mistakes into greater advantages elsewhere on the map. Impressive stuff!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
When you pick stronger champions in all 5 roles, you tend to win.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Jonny Angel posted:

This game has been very interesting to watch on account of how better a strategic game C9 is playing than Curse. They've made mistakes, but they've somehow converted all those mistakes into greater advantages elsewhere on the map. Impressive stuff!

C9's macro level play is better than any other team in NA which makes up for some mistakes they make during laning

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

uaciaut posted:

Dude, his jungler died at level 1 so he had no jungle pressure, Ahri got the kill so she was already ahead, he got his rear end constantly roamed on by Leona (before she started missing all ults) and Vi which meant he could not get away from the CC and he still pulled off big numbers and stayed relevant and was the main reason Coast didn't end easier. And people like you STILL look to him first for not carrying the poo poo out of the game in these circumstances, are you kidding me?

I wasn't expecting him to carry but I saw him miss skillshots that could have turned around fights. Losing certainly wasn't his fault, I've just seen him play games where he hits almost everything. I think TSM played pretty poorly overall. Watching the almost comeback was interesting though. The level one invade didnt make much sense either and looked like communication failed between oddone and bjerg. I didn't see exactly what happend but he failed to keep mid pushed up enough and then followed a little too late. I might of seen the play wrong though.

spacebrospiff fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 23, 2014

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

uaciaut posted:

He probably shouldn't have been caught by all those charms.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

henkman posted:

C9's macro level play is better than any other team in NA which makes up for some mistakes they make during laning

Probably better than any team in EU either. Infact that's a fault with their team as world contender, their teamwork is so good their individual play hasn't gone anywhere since last season because unlike every other team they barely ever have to fall back on individually outplaying anyone. Hell, look at this game right here. All lanes went even, C9 ahead by 2k gold when laning ended.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I hope they move Zuna into every position while removing the former occupants until all we have is Zuna on a new XDG as its ADC.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Link showing the power of AP Lulu.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hra Mormo posted:

All lanes went even, C9 ahead by 2k gold when laning ended.

To be fair, if they broke multiple members off from lanes twice to take uncontested dragons, and they were still even on farm in those lanes, that implies that those lanes were doing a pretty drat good job.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

"A lot of things have been done by the book today and today's CLG making it look like one of those days." might be my favorite new example of Rivington word salad

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I dont see XDG going anywhere but down to challenger from here - maybe the time to figure out their roster and get something that works will help them though - or maybe they'll disband, who knows.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it's word salad so much as a string of contentless cliches. Like, all the words and phrases in the sentence actually mean things, which is something.

I feel like the best point of reference for that Rivingtonism is pre-generated announcer lines in a sports videogame. It's like, sure, these are things that casters can say, but they're so generic that they lose any real relevance to the action at hand.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jonny Angel posted:

I don't think it's word salad so much as a string of contentless cliches. Like, all the words and phrases in the sentence actually mean things, which is something.

I feel like the best point of reference for that Rivingtonism is pre-generated announcer lines in a sports videogame. It's like, sure, these are things that casters can say, but they're so generic that they lose any real relevance to the action at hand.

Riv seriously sounds like the LCS equivalent of the random in-game announcer phrases in the Madden games.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Power of Pecota posted:

"A lot of things have been done by the book today and today's CLG making it look like one of those days." might be my favorite new example of Rivington word salad

"You see Cruzer after having a tough time at top lane he's 20 CS down but he's only got himself the spirit visage trying to keep himself healthy if he even does get engaged on with the giant's belt as well."

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
"no bench is big enough for zuna" - twitch chat

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Wow, this collegiate game started out explosive! 5v5 level 1 in the jungle.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Leblanc deleting Ziggs mid jump is great :allears:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Jonny Angel posted:

To be fair, if they broke multiple members off from lanes twice to take uncontested dragons, and they were still even on farm in those lanes, that implies that those lanes were doing a pretty drat good job.

That's not how taking a free dragon works. You wait for a fresh wave to show up, shove it in and then you go. You'll be back before the next wave gets in. Obviously you need map control to get a free dragon though so yes, despite the rest of C9 going even in lanes Meteos was still able to individually outplay the useless sack of poo poo IWillDominate. I felt like they got roughly the same amount of support from their lanes, too.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Hra Mormo posted:

That's not how taking a free dragon works. You wait for a fresh wave to show up, shove it in and then you go. You'll be back before the next wave gets in. Obviously you need map control to get a free dragon though so yes, despite the rest of C9 going even in lanes Meteos was still able to individually outplay the useless sack of poo poo IWillDominate. I felt like they got roughly the same amount of support from their lanes, too.

Huh. The idea is that you pull 2 or 3 members to, for example, top lane and then when they're occupied there force a 4v3 or 4v2 around dragon, and they won't be able to contest it. Hence uncontested. A "free" dragon, as you're describing, is different and happens less in even games. Frankly, it has little to do with Meteos outplaying IWD (although IWD prolly is a sack of poo poo). Instead, it's better shotcalling and the rest of the team staying in position to counter-dragon.

The reason he's saying it's impressive for, for example, Balls to go even in lane is because he was drawing a ton of pressure to his lane and allowing them to get objectives while still going even despite uneven pressure.

Hope that helped clear things up!

e: I love Queen Gypsies, I love their names.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

Actually Lichbane procs as magic damage which is amplified by DFG, adding a 0.75 AP ratio to your magic burst, so they synergize really well. The difficulty is weaving in the auto during the DFG debuff time. Deathcap is still better in most situations, but I wouldn't say they would have won 15 minutes earlier if Shiphtur had picked up a Deathcap. The Leona ults cost them a lot more than the Lichbane.

I know that, but on Ahri you want to space out your abilities if you're trying to proc lichbane and you want to button mash if you're using the DFG to assassinate. They are at odds like that. Lichbane + Rabadons gives you better sustained damage while DFG + Rabadons gives you better burst but if you mix them you kind of get some boost from each.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Catching up on today's games, skipped reading the thread for now so I don't spoil anything, but holy poo poo the TSM vs Coast game was amazing

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Reginald interviewed on his perspective on XDG and Bloodwater

I like some of the alternate ways of looking at it he brings; like on Bloodwater, why you'd want to kick him if he wouldn't show up for words and try to get someone who will. I can see the owner's perspective on that, you want players you can trust to stick with the team.

Not sure I totally agree with him but its nice to have an alternate perspective.

Maybe it would have been better to wait till the end of the spring split, but I think they'd get relegated either way.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 23, 2014

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
OGN Masters is live; tonight is Samsung vs Jin Air.

Dade is now on the b team :laugh:

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Xenogenesis posted:

OGN Masters is live; tonight is Samsung vs Jin Air.

Dade is now on the b team :laugh:

I saw Wukong ulting and I thought Garen was being played in a Korean game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Apparently Shiphtur threw up right after xpekeing the nexus. He also says he feels sick/like vomiting often??? I wonder whats wrong with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Knowing competitive gamers his diet is McDoubles and KBBQ.

• Locked thread