Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Wolfsheim posted:

I've actually joined them when I played through a bit of the game previously, but I don't remember actually getting any robes out of the deal. I just don't want to run around in only a loincloth the entire game :(

I meant that Emoric sells them, you bonghit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ok, I found some mods for Torment to increase the resolution, then the things that fixes what the resolution upgrades breaks, a mod that fixes some bugs, one for unfinished content, and another general "tweaks" mod. Basically, all the stuff on the GoG page.

I'm guessing there's no mod to make it windowed?

I guess I can dig my second monitor out of storage and have the game on that while other stuff is on my main one, or something.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The widescreen mod can run at essentially any resolution and has an option for windowed or fullscreen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

John McCain posted:

The widescreen mod can run at essentially any resolution and has an option for windowed or fullscreen.

Unless GoG fixed it the PST renderer is hacked enough that you need a wrapper as the normal wide screen mod can't force windowed. There should be records of which people used to use because prior to GoG you needed a wrapper just so spell effects wouldnt crash the game.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

zedprime posted:

Unless GoG fixed it the PST renderer is hacked enough that you need a wrapper as the normal wide screen mod can't force windowed. There should be records of which people used to use because prior to GoG you needed a wrapper just so spell effects wouldnt crash the game.

Whoops, you're right, the widescreen mod doesn't have windowed support for PS:T (or TotSC).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

scamtank posted:

I meant that Emoric sells them, you bonghit.

He actually doesn't! I discovered this earlier tonight, having completed the final task to join the dustmen. Maybe you'd had it added with a mod? I did discover a workaround, though; shivving one of the random dustmen in the mortuary and proceeding to run like hell when the alarm goes off. Everything trying to kill you resets when you leave, so if you just make a mad dash towards the exit you won't have to kill anyone else.

Anyway, I just got to the bit where the Lower Ward opens up, which is right around where my first PST playthrough fell by the wayside, so now that I'm semi-competent with the game mechanics I'm interested to see where this goes. I was surprised at how much I missed the first time in the catacombs, too:I had no idea about the little sealed room at the back of the drowned chambers where the Nameless hid all those notes to himself; I seriously went all :aaa: when I got to "Don't trust the skull." Also, is there a quest where I'm actually supposed to see what's up with the Silent King? Many-As-One told me to kill him, but that seemed like the kind of obviously evil and short-sightedly dumb choice the game seems to frown on the player making.

And because I'm stupid and didn't even realize Dakkon was a potential follower for like the first five hours of PST (but without spoiling anything too overtly) are there any easy-to-miss party members I should be on the lookout for now that the Lower Ward is open? Combat-wise, Annah is pretty bad and Dakkon isn't much better, so after TNO burns through his tiny spell list Morte is really the only one holding his own.

Also, it's hilarious how Cloud Kill works in this game. INSTANT DEATH:unsmigghh:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Wolfsheim posted:

And because I'm stupid and didn't even realize Dakkon was a potential follower for like the first five hours of PST (but without spoiling anything too overtly) are there any easy-to-miss party members I should be on the lookout for now that the Lower Ward is open? Combat-wise, Annah is pretty bad and Dakkon isn't much better, so after TNO burns through his tiny spell list Morte is really the only one holding his own.
You should have been picking up hints about how to recruit another NPC from the Smouldering Corpse bar, and you'll be able to follow through on that soon enough. Otherwise the other relatively convoluted nearby recruitment involves purchasing a toy from a Curiosity Shoppe.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Wolfsheim posted:

He actually doesn't! I discovered this earlier tonight, having completed the final task to join the dustmen. Maybe you'd had it added with a mod?

I actually didn't check for myself. I'd joined and abandoned the Dustmen earlier and I looked up a store inventory catalog online. Egg on my face, I suppose.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, is there a quest where I'm actually supposed to see what's up with the Silent King? Many-As-One told me to kill him, but that seemed like the kind of obviously evil and short-sightedly dumb choice the game seems to frown on the player making.

If you have high enough Charisma, you can convince Stale Mary to let you have an audience. Knowing the secret gives you the option to blackmail Hargrimm and make him free you without having to finish his quest chain.
Of course, breaking your word and tattling to Acaste is a terribly evil thing to do.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You should have been picking up hints about how to recruit another NPC from the Smouldering Corpse bar, and you'll be able to follow through on that soon enough. Otherwise the other relatively convoluted nearby recruitment involves purchasing a toy from a Curiosity Shoppe.

I should warn you, while the toy quest companion is really cool, the dungeon you find him in is one of the worst dungeons, not just in infinity engine games, but in RPG history.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

MegaGatts posted:

I should warn you, while the toy quest companion is really cool, the dungeon you find him in is one of the worst dungeons, not just in infinity engine games, but in RPG history.

It definitely gave me PS:TD

:downsrim:

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013

MegaGatts posted:

The only bright side is that it isn't super difficult, just extremely tedious. It's the one part of the game where being able to create your own map markers comes in real handy.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

He actually doesn't! I discovered this earlier tonight, having completed the final task to join the dustmen. Maybe you'd had it added with a mod? I did discover a workaround, though; shivving one of the random dustmen in the mortuary and proceeding to run like hell when the alarm goes off. Everything trying to kill you resets when you leave, so if you just make a mad dash towards the exit you won't have to kill anyone else.

As I posted earlier, there is a Dustman on the third floor of the mortuary that you can kill through dialogue choices without raising the alarm bell. Bonus: You get a memory back for snapping the Dustman's neck.

scamtank posted:

I actually didn't check for myself. I'd joined and abandoned the Dustmen earlier and I looked up a store inventory catalog online. Egg on my face, I suppose.

If you have high enough Charisma, you can convince Stale Mary to let you have an audience. Knowing the secret gives you the option to blackmail Hargrimm and make him free you without having to finish his quest chain.
Of course, breaking your word and tattling to Acaste is a terribly evil thing to do.

The only way I was able to see the Silent King. I had to first talk to Hargrimm and then Stale Mary.

Aratoeldar fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 21, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Aratoeldar posted:

As I posted earlier, there is a Dustman on the third floor of the mortuary that you can kill through dialogue choices without raising the alarm bell. Bonus: You get a memory back for snapping the Dustman's neck.

I didn't have high enough dexterity when I tried this, I'm afraid, and after you become a member that dialogue option is no longer available. Still, stabbing and running worked anyway.

Also, does the dustmen neutrality thing mean I will really no longer be attacked by any undead? Kinda seems too good to be true, and it makes me wonder how the mausoleum would've played out if I'd held off on it.

quote:

The only way I was able to see the Silent King. I had to first talk to Hargrimm and then Stale Mary.

Hargrimm's quest chain was easy enough, it didn't even occur to me there was an alternate option (other than killing everything between you and the exit, anyway). Maybe I'll look into it when I replay PST as a pure fighter (I'm not actually going to do this).

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
In completely unrelated news...

I just bought BG:EE because I reaaallly couldn't be bothered going through the hassle of reinstalling TuTu. As per usual, I'm telling myself I'm going to take this character through the whole series.

So what do we think is the "canon" character class for the Bhaalspawn? I was thinking Sorcerer as the dude is meant to be inherently powerful...

Lardochu
Nov 4, 2008
Those terrible, terrible books and the imported party from TotSC make him a generic fighter if I remember right.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a question or two.

1. What's an ideal stat roll when creating a sorcerer?

2. Do the Keeper utilities in the OP's posts work for the Steam enhanced editions of baldur's gate I and II?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sorcerers don't actually have a casting stat, so feel free to go nuts and throw points wherever else you want. Although you're probably going to want Wisdom for throwing Wish around.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
EEKeeper works fine for the Steam versions. All it does is load a saved game

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

So what do we think is the "canon" character class for the Bhaalspawn? I was thinking Sorcerer as the dude is meant to be inherently powerful...

There's no such thing really. Given the PC is raised in a fortress/library then druid, ranger and barbarian (and maybe monk) don't make much sense, but beyond that any class could be justified based on what's available in Candlekeep.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I finished Throne of Bhaal on iPad and the ending movie is bugged so that it skips straight to the character epilogues :ughh:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Hammer Floyd posted:

The novelization makes the PC a Neutral human fighter.

(By the way, the Mission Pack Save included in ToSC with a party that could tackle the expansion pack's content included a character called Abdel who must have been the novel's protagonist. He was a Neutral Good Human Fighter and his stats were STR 18(90), DEX 19, CON 19, INT 7, WIS 6, CHA 18. His companions were Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen instead of the canon party from the start of BG2.)

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Factor_VIII posted:

The novelization makes the PC a Neutral human fighter.

(By the way, the Mission Pack Save included in ToSC with a party that could tackle the expansion pack's content included a character called Abdel who must have been the novel's protagonist. He was a Neutral Good Human Fighter and his stats were STR 18(90), DEX 19, CON 19, INT 7, WIS 6, CHA 18. His companions were Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen instead of the canon party from the start of BG2.)

That explains quite a lot about the lovely novel, hack writing notwithstanding.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pffffft. gently caress that. Bhaalspawn is now a Sorcerer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hammer Floyd posted:

Wild Mage. It's always Wild Mage.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
BG:EE also comes with a pregenerated fighter named Abdel, but he is chaotic good with str 17, dex 14, con 16, int 10, wis 12 and cha 14.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hammer Floyd posted:

In completely unrelated news...

I just bought BG:EE because I reaaallly couldn't be bothered going through the hassle of reinstalling TuTu. As per usual, I'm telling myself I'm going to take this character through the whole series.

Personally for the "canon" bhaalspawn class I've always thought of thief as being the ideal candidate. I'd argue ranger, monk, barbarian, druid are out due to the difficulty of finding suitable teachers. Paladin and Cleric are out because what good god wants a bhaalspawn as a minion. Fighter is a possibility (trained by the candlekeep guards), ditto with Wizard (trained by Gorion). But ultimately I say thief for a couple of reasons. Firstly your best pal/little sister Imoen is a thief, secondly everyone in candlekeep treats you as a bit of a troublemaker and thirdly by justifying it as your divine essence pulling you that way (Bhaal was a thief as a human and as a god he was the patron of assassins a type of thief)

But yeah go with whatever you like.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ferrosol posted:

Personally for the "canon" bhaalspawn class I've always thought of thief as being the ideal candidate. I'd argue ranger, monk, barbarian, druid are out due to the difficulty of finding suitable teachers. Paladin and Cleric are out because what good god wants a bhaalspawn as a minion. Fighter is a possibility (trained by the candlekeep guards), ditto with Wizard (trained by Gorion). But ultimately I say thief for a couple of reasons. Firstly your best pal/little sister Imoen is a thief, secondly everyone in candlekeep treats you as a bit of a troublemaker and thirdly by justifying it as your divine essence pulling you that way (Bhaal was a thief as a human and as a god he was the patron of assassins a type of thief)

But yeah go with whatever you like.

Clerics are not good-aligned per se, hell, BG:EE comes with the 3 priest kits that are good, neutral and evil aligned. A priest of Talos fits pretty well for an evil bhaalspawn. Assassin or evil cleric fits best with your heritage, though not with your upbringing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do hate how PS:T has many pointless and vestigial trappings of the other IE games, and I have to ask: is the Rest Button ever used? I don't recall ever being given the opportunity to use it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I have a question or two.

2. Do the Keeper utilities in the OP's posts work for the Steam enhanced editions of baldur's gate I and II?

1.) Max out Charisma always. I like to get my dex and con up (don't raise con past 16 tho, you get absurdly low return past 16 if you're not a high-combat class) and use wis as a dump stat because I don't use wishes. There are enough stat-setting pieces of equipment that you can make just about any stat roll work fine if you don't mind using up an equip slot or two, but I like dex as you can stack it with your protections for a solid AC with just a robe.

2.) The original ones don't, but there's a new EEKeeper that does.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I do hate how PS:T has many pointless and vestigial trappings of the other IE games, and I have to ask: is the Rest Button ever used? I don't recall ever being given the opportunity to use it.

Yes. Try the open tomb in the Mortuary square.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

1.) Max out Charisma always.

Actually, for BGEE and BGII, this is terrible advice, especially BGII. Sorcerers do not have a casting stat in these games, and you can get a ring that sets your CHA to 18 very early on. I'd strongly suggest 16 con, 16 dex, and if you want to use limited wishes and wishes in BGII, 18 wis.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

GreatGreen posted:

You'll need at least 9 intelligence to be able to use scrolls.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Taliesyn posted:

Actually, for BGEE and BGII, this is terrible advice, especially BGII. Sorcerers do not have a casting stat in these games, and you can get a ring that sets your CHA to 18 very early on. I'd strongly suggest 16 con, 16 dex, and if you want to use limited wishes and wishes in BGII, 18 wis.

Oh god seriously?

drat, BG is broken as hell. That they didn't port the CHA scaling from 3E is boggling.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Oh god seriously?

drat, BG is broken as hell. That they didn't port the CHA scaling from 3E is boggling.

What would even be the point, given you can literally have a ring that gives you 18 CHA a few minutes after exiting Irenicus' dungeon at the start of bg2 as correctly pointed out by Taliesyn?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

There was no Cha-based Sorcerer casting from 3.0 to port over. 3.0 came out out in August/September 2000; BG2 came out in September 2000.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Excelzior posted:

What would even be the point, given you can literally have a ring that gives you 18 CHA a few minutes after exiting Irenicus' dungeon at the start of bg2 as correctly pointed out by Taliesyn?

True. At least it would take up a ring slot, though. :v:

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Whenever I needed CHA, which is really just for shopping, I put the ring on. When I was done, I took the ring off. There is no need for CHA in BG2.

Even more absurd, a mage can combine the ring with a friends spell for an effortless 24 CHA.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There was no Cha-based Sorcerer casting from 3.0 to port over. 3.0 came out out in August/September 2000; BG2 came out in September 2000.
The barbarian and monk were as 3.0 as was possible in 2e and BG2 was a WotC owned thing so there's no reason to believe the designers didn't have a copy of the beta.

Int doesn't really do anything for mages either beyond scribe chance and spell book size (I don't think level restrictions were ever implemented for low int?) so the more likely story is that sorc spells were as well represented as mage spells.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

FuriousGeorge posted:

That was the terrible 2001 reboot, not the original Gold Box Pool of Radiance.

I actually rather enjoyed that game when I was younger.

EDIT: Hey, that sounds cool, think you could link that patch here? Wouldn't mind going back as an adult and completing that some day.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TehGherkin posted:

I actually rather enjoyed that game when I was younger.

Me too, but the slow pace wore me down and I gave it up. However, someone linked me a patch to speed up the game, so I may very well have a go at it some day.