Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Honestly, I'd be okay with a mega man game where you got to play as roll.

That one looks terrible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
In Mega Man Powered Up, if you connected to the internet, you could download Roll in a buncha costumes. She was pretty awful though.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Nihilarian posted:

Honestly, I'd be okay with a mega man game where you got to play as roll.

That one looks terrible, though.

Is this the part where I tell you that a) there are Megaman fangames where you play as Roll, and b) this would actually be the best one if it weren't for the speedup?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Senerio posted:

In Mega Man Powered Up, if you connected to the internet, you could download Roll in a buncha costumes. She was pretty awful though.
What are you talking about? Roll was a beast in PU.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I remember playing the tutorial stage with her and being distinctly unimpressed. It was a while though and I lost my save so I dunno.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

haplesscardsharp posted:

Why does it have to be a MegaMAN? :colbert:
What's wrong with being a MegaWoman?

There was an abandoned LP for a game that basically did what you're talking about here. I can't remember the name, but it was a fun lp, while it lasted.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rokko-chan.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Heavy Sigh posted:

Roll Next
(With Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, Loco, and Assoonasitis)

Dat Protoman, though.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I've spent the past couple of days catching up with this thread and I'm slightly disappointed that Mitt Romney Dress-Up wasn't the very last thing I watched.

Are we still discussing how some of these games teach lovely lessons to young kids? Because I never liked the makeover games even as a little girl... but I'm pretty sure that's because I thought femininity was inherently inferior and all that fun poo poo. It got to the point where, in my teenage years, I got frustrated about the fact that guys didn't want to date me - I was just like them, I didn't like all those boring, girly things like shopping and make-up! Then I sighed and told myself, "Of course, it's because I don't have big boobs."

No joke.

I held a whole lot of other harmful views that took me years to grow out of. Maybe it would be nice if there were Girl Games out there that countered things like that.

... I'm still a sucker for dress-up games and customisation in actual videogames, though. And I hate wearing make-up? But I think that's more of a matter of personal comfort nowadays.

Anyway, this thread is great, keep it up.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

YES! THAT'S IT! Thank you.

Graceful Graveler posted:

Are we still discussing how some of these games teach lovely lessons to young kids?

I don't think that's ever going to cease being relevant in this thread.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Graceful Graveler posted:

I held a whole lot of other harmful views that took me years to grow out of. Maybe it would be nice if there were Girl Games out there that countered things like that.

A lot of these girl games have the message of "You have to be someone you're not in order to get the guy" and that sucks. What I'd like to see happening more in girl games, and mainstream media in general, is telling people that it's okay to be themselves, and it's actually better for you - and yes, being yourself can be putting on dresses and makeup and such, but it can also be not doing that.

After all, relationships don't last out of pure attraction, you've got to like the person's personality - a lesson that a lot of these games don't teach.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
20 minutes until my official start of stream. I have a decent handful of games prepped, so look forward to that.

Because I'm going to be archiving this on youtube, and twitch has been eating comments since Twitch Plays Pokemon became a thing, I'm going to stream the twitch chat as well this time. Let me know if you feel this was an improvement or ultimately unnecessary.

As a reminder, my twitch stream is http://twitch.tv/Senerio

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Killrrhubarb posted:

A lot of these girl games have the message of "You have to be someone you're not in order to get the guy" and that sucks. What I'd like to see happening more in girl games, and mainstream media in general, is telling people that it's okay to be themselves, and it's actually better for you - and yes, being yourself can be putting on dresses and makeup and such, but it can also be not doing that.

After all, relationships don't last out of pure attraction, you've got to like the person's personality - a lesson that a lot of these games don't teach.

It's funny since guys see the opposite message a lot, that life will eventually just reward them with a woman for existing, since the main character always "gets the girl in the end." And then this leads to dudes who put no effort in seeming attractive wondering why women won't automatically date them after talking to them, causing a horrible cycle of bitter misogynists.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

nu_vagus posted:

Someone on Twitter suggested making a remix of that song, but how could you possibly make it sound any better?

You really can't, but I tried my best.

And this thread has a theme song!

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Just a reminder that I'm doing a stream of the first Purple Moon game, Rockett's New School, tomorrow (or today, either way it's the 22nd) at 2:30 PM PST My stream page is here. I don't know how well the decision making bit is going to work with the 30 second stream delay Twitch seems to have, but I'm gonna try anyway.

Edit: Make that 3 PM Got to fix an audio issue.

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 22, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

McOgre posted:

It's funny since guys see the opposite message a lot, that life will eventually just reward them with a woman for existing, since the main character always "gets the girl in the end."

This is not exactly true. I'll probably go on a tangent about this but it needs to be addressed so...

Both genders have an appearance that is portrayed by the media as normal. For males it's tall, thin, muscular, white, either clean-shaven or stubble, whereas for a female it's tall, long-hair, white, thin, no body hair. This is generally what you'll see in movies, in advertisements, tv shows, etc. Magazines also have a reputation for attacking a celebrity for not fitting these roles. You'll find that in shows and movies, the people that get the laughs are typically not part of the normal look. Fat people, black people, nerds, goths... anyone that doesn't fit the norm is someone to be laughed at.

I've seen a lot of people who don't fit into these concepts of beauty think they are not attractive and can't get a relationship, which sucks. I've also see people that do fit into these roles think they should get relationships because they are "attractive". What these people don't realize is that relationships rely on a lot more than just attraction to succeed. And yes, there are people that don't fit these "attractive" roles and do think they should get relationships by just being "nice". I don't know what's wrong with them.

Killrrhubarb fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 23, 2014

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
And of course, the issue takes longer than that to fix. If anyone's still around and interested, the stream is up. I'll start in about 15.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Killrrhubarb posted:

Both females and men

Don't do this.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Devious Vacuum posted:

Don't do this.

The proper term is "3D waifus" and men. :reject:

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Devious Vacuum posted:

Don't do this.

I fixed it up. Hopefully it's better now. It's something I wasn't thinking about, which is a problem in itself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Goons?
(Rhythmic posting of a thread)
Do you wanna play some girl games?
We'll make it an LP
We'll dress up people more and more
Kind of a bore
But at least there is Barbie
These games are really lovely
And kinda dumb
And maybe we could say why!-
Do you wanna play some girl games?
We can also play some guy games.
(Go away, DVac!)
Okay, bye.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, so I had a question regarding terminology; my mother and I were having a discussion regarding the words "transsexual" and "transgendered," and had come to a disagreement. Mom felt that one of the words had become an inappropriate/archaic term, and the other was the generally accepted one, while I had the impression that the two words meant slightly different things (last I had been told, "sex" referred to body and "gender" referred to identity). Anyone have any input on this?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Killrrhubarb posted:

This is not exactly true. I'll probably go on a tangent about this but it needs to be addressed so...

Both genders have an appearance that is portrayed by the media as normal. For males it's tall, thin, muscular, white, either clean-shaven or stubble, whereas for a female it's tall, long-hair, white, thin, no body hair. This is generally what you'll see in movies, in advertisements, tv shows, etc. Magazines also have a reputation for attacking a celebrity for not fitting these roles. You'll find that in shows and movies, the people that get the laughs are typically not part of the normal look. Fat people, black people, nerds, goths... anyone that doesn't fit the norm is someone to be laughed at.

I disagree with this. There are men of all kinds of body types on TV. Fat men like Homer Simpsom and Peter Griffin are protagonists all the time. There are tons of movies about ugly men or fat men or otherwise quirky or undesirable men that are sympathetic characters that have heart deep down and end up getting the woman of their dreams.

None of this happens for fat women. They don't exist. Their very existence in media is an eyesore that evokes recoil and disgust from the audience.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Killrrhubarb posted:

For males it's tall, thin, muscular, white, either clean-shaven or stubble, whereas for a female it's tall, long-hair, white, thin, no body hair.

What we're getting at here is that patriarchy engenders a sense of entitlement to women's bodies while also punishing men for not fitting into a strict masculine ideal. It can do both of these things at the same time. The long and short of it is, patriarchy hurts everyone. If you are particularly interested in how American (really Western as a whole) culture is failing our sons, I suggest taking a look at The Mask You Live In, part of the Representation Project.

azren posted:

Okay, so I had a question regarding terminology; my mother and I were having a discussion regarding the words "transsexual" and "transgendered," and had come to a disagreement. Mom felt that one of the words had become an inappropriate/archaic term, and the other was the generally accepted one, while I had the impression that the two words meant slightly different things (last I had been told, "sex" referred to body and "gender" referred to identity). Anyone have any input on this?

You are correct in your interpretation about the difference between sex and gender. Transgender is the appropriate word to use, however, because other people's privates are none of your business.

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 23, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Hokuto posted:

I disagree with this. There are men of all kinds of body types on TV. Fat men like Homer Simpsom and Peter Griffin are protagonists all the time. There are tons of movies about ugly men or fat men or otherwise quirky or undesirable men that are sympathetic characters that have heart deep down and end up getting the woman of their dreams.

None of this happens for fat women. They don't exist. Their very existence in media is an eyesore that evokes recoil and disgust from the audience.

Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin are "comedy fat", their weight is the source of comedy. You can also see it in the Cleveland show, where the main character is "comedy black". These roles are not something people aspire to.

Mike and Molly is a good example of a show that has a fat couple. The humour is mostly low-brow fat jokes. In fact, I think there was a full 9 minute bit where the punchline was "ham". They are not something to aspire to.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Devious Vacuum posted:

You are correct in your interpretation about the difference between sex and gender. Transgender is the appropriate word to use, however, because other people's privates are none of your business.

Actually the popular term nowadays is just "trans", or "trans woman/trans man" if the situation really calls for specifics.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

dijon du jour posted:

Actually the popular term nowadays is just "trans", or "trans woman/trans man" if the situation really calls for specifics.

Agreed! Yes! This is also what I say IRL, the words just didn't come to me. Just treat people's identities as a case-by-case basis, friends. Use the words they identify with.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

azren posted:

As long as you are respectful about it, simply asking someone what term she and/or he prefer is your best bet. Some identify as either a man or woman. Some like to use the term "trans", which seems pretty neutral. Some don't place themselves all the way on one side or the other of the gender spectrum. Other people will want to be referred to using another term. Sex and gender are important things, but they aren't the only things that define a person. So also be aware that thinking of someone as your "transgendered friend" is very ignorant.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Killrrhubarb posted:

I originally said "seeming attractive", by which I mean that you don't have to look like Ryan Gosling or whoever, I just mean you put an effort into having a nice outward appearance. Like dressing well. As DVac said, the patriarchy hurts everyone, and in this case, the patriarchy says that putting any effort into appearance is a feminine, icky thing. Initial attraction, among other things, is important in relationships, and while women are buried under messages telling them to dress nice and wear makeup, men don't really get anything similar, leading to the non-Ryan-Gosling-looking guys you mentioned thinking all hope is lost when all they need to do is shave their neckbeard and get a haircut to look a million times better.

Also, ugly/fat/awkward guy having a conventionally good-looking wife is a pretty common trope, regardless of beauty standards for men (which I'm not saying don't exist).

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 23, 2014

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
I would also like to mention that sex and gender have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
With EntranceJew, Heavy Sigh, Miniature Moose and Yapo

Watch me totally suck at girl games and also start out with some audio problems. I'm half awake, so if I screwed something up let me know.

There should be a preview for next time in there.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Man, i remember when everyone had that ringtone you played at the end.

But anyway, I heard that game was IMPOSSIBLE.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I actually still use that as my text tone because I needed one fast and it popped into my head.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Gensuki posted:

Transgender denotes pre-op, whether or not they plan to/want to go through that path. Transsexual means they have had SRS.
Of course people will always have a preference whether or not they agree with the popular/proper terminology. I do as much every day.
Er what? Is there a source you're using for what I assume you're suggesting are the "proper" definitions for transsexual and transgender?

Going back to Azren's question though, I'll quote the Transgender megathread OP (it's in e/n, ps don't read it, or the link)

Mootiman posted:

I would like to let you know, from someone on the inside (ie I am trans), that trans nomenclature is in general a (often self important) minefield that if you can avoid, you probably should. Ultimately you and your mom are both right: this is why everyone involved pretty much just uses trans. Different people have differing opinions on what is correct for them, too. If you had to use one blindly, transgender (as an adjective) is probably the safest, for reasons that go on forever. To be clear, listen to and respect what people ask for, but there is (currently) no universal answer, not by a long shot.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Mastigophoran posted:

Er what? Is there a source you're using for what I assume you're suggesting are the "proper" definitions for transsexual and transgender?

LGBT club.
The dictionary.
What words mean.

My club is wrong, my dictionary is wrong and my understanding of english is wrong. I'm sorry.

EDIT: here is a helpful website. http://www.transawareness.org/what-is-the-difference-between-transgender-and-transsexual.html

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 23, 2014

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Gensuki posted:

LGBT club.
The dictionary.
What words mean.

My club may be wrong, my dictionary may be wrong and my understanding of english may be wrong. I'm sorry.

Err, OK? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you are 'wrong', and that that is OK, although 'the dictionary' and 'what words mean' seem a little harsh - these are pretty new words for emerging communities and definitions have sort of changed and developed a lot over the past few decades, so maybe you just had an old definition? The google definitions are in line with what I'm used to; transgender and transsexual.

fake edit: haha, just saw your edit. Don't feel bad, this is a place of peace and harmony! Or... something?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Thread, I'm so proud of you for not devolving into awkward arguing about this. SO PROUD. And yes, that's right, this thread is about LOVE and FRIENDSHIP. So in that vein, have an update! It's the worst one yet!!

with EntranceJew

Horrible Things Expert EntranceJew joins me for a game even he was not prepared for. Warning: no gross surgery or blood in this video, but a level of cultural appropriation that may make your stomach turn.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Mario's eyebrows only reminded me of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Don't judge poor Mario - he was young and needed the money to pay for his plumbing training.

• Locked thread