Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My team is really good at losing a lot of close games

:(

edit: this is how the average game for my team plays out over the last two months

Period 1: We take a 2 or 3 goal lead
Period 2: We give it all up and more because :catdrugs:
Period 3: We make somewhat of a rally but still lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
So I had to get a new stick after breaking my Vapor APX the other day. I decided on a Reebok Ribcor and after testing it out tonight I'm a little indifferent. The thing that really throws me off is the non-grip shaft. My Vapor had grip and every stick I've had always had grip on it. I don't think I'll be able to get used to the new shaft as my hand kept slipping all game. I did throw on some white stick tape on it to gain some traction and it did see to help a bit.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on improving the shaft grip at all?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone here playing the CAHA tournament at San Jose in April?

Yes it will probably be my last tournament in CA with the girls :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dyn posted:

Do you guys have any other suggestions on improving the shaft grip at all?

I was always told to keep your bottom hand loose because it helps move the stick faster during fitted and dribbling.

If you need more grip try candy striping tape of you can spray some light adhesive on there to make it tacky ... wax might also work

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cover the stick with wax before every game maybe

Also quit gripping so tight

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, wax your shaft to smooth it down.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

sellouts posted:

Cover the stick with wax before every game maybe

Also quit gripping so tight

Doesn't matter how much or how little I grip, it still slips. It could be that I'm just not used to it.

I'll give the wax and adhesive a try and report back.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This thread has taken a turn...

For the sexy. :c00l:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Once you get used to grip sticks it's hard to go back.

Just sell it and buy what you like. Not worth doing a whole bunch of stuff to a stick to make it ok.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dyn posted:

Doesn't matter how much or how little I grip, it still slips. It could be that I'm just not used to it.

I'll give the wax and adhesive a try and report back.

I think there's a drill that involves cutting the top and bottom of a water bottle and using that to grip with your lower hand. Maybe practice with that.

I honestly forget what sticks have grip and what don't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, my legs are gonna hate my guts over the next few months. Got the schedule for the beer league team, almost all the games are between 8pm and 11pm on Saturdays. So basically I'll play a game, run home and fall in bed, then get up at 5am to go to my Sunday morning game.

Even have a back to back scheduled in May.. resulting in 3 games within 24 hours. :haw:

I think the plan will be to live on spaghetti and peanut butter.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Those back to back type things are when you really wish to have your youth back. I'm only 30 but to be 22 for a weekend would really take the edge off of our rink's spring tourney. At the end of March we have a tourney that is a game Friday night, a game Saturday morning and a game Saturday afternoon. Top 2 teams play Sunday morning for the championship. The end of that Saturday afternoon game is usually pretty brutal.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Last summer I skated five games in 72 hours.

Friday: Played for my Friday league team at the 8:00p game (11 on bench, played forward), then subbed for the game at 9:30 (7 on bench :qq:, played both d and forward), then subbed for the game at 11:00 (10 on bench, played defense). Tweaked my groin in the middle one.

Saturday: Played for my Saturday league team at 5:30p, played center ugh. 12 in the bench though.

Sunday: Subbed for the Sunday sister team of my Saturday team at 5:30p (10 on the bench). Played defense until the last five minutes, where I played forward. Barely finished it.

I'd probably do it again.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bigbillystyle posted:

Those back to back type things are when you really wish to have your youth back. I'm only 30 but to be 22 for a weekend would really take the edge off of our rink's spring tourney. At the end of March we have a tourney that is a game Friday night, a game Saturday morning and a game Saturday afternoon. Top 2 teams play Sunday morning for the championship. The end of that Saturday afternoon game is usually pretty brutal.

I hate to tell you, it only gets worse. I have back to back games tomorrow night, the second of which is a playoff game, and I wish to hell I was only 30. I used to play 2-3 games a night without even blinking, usually with hilariously short benches. Now that I'm 40+, if I don't keep off-ice conditioning up I run out of gas in the 3rd period without any double shifts or anything.

Although on the upside I'm a stronger and faster skater than I was back then, for as long as I hold up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most of the 50+ guys I skate with seem to keep their energy by playing smarter. They let the young hotheads chase the puck while they glide and read the play, saving their energy for quick explosions as needed.

Generates a lot of "he's not fast but holy poo poo he's good with the puck" type chatter on the bench.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Man, my legs are gonna hate my guts over the next few months. Got the schedule for the beer league team, almost all the games are between 8pm and 11pm on Saturdays. So basically I'll play a game, run home and fall in bed, then get up at 5am to go to my Sunday morning game.

Even have a back to back scheduled in May.. resulting in 3 games within 24 hours. :haw:

I think the plan will be to live on spaghetti and peanut butter.

Man, I consider myself lucky then, I only have to be up at 20 to six to make it for Sundays.

You thinking about doing that coed leauge? I put myself down as a tentative yes.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bought a new shaft, going with a stick that's 6" longer than what I'm using now as an experiment. Found myself last game coming up a bit short in some stick battles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

shyduck posted:

Bought a new shaft, going with a stick that's 6" longer than what I'm using now as an experiment. Found myself last game coming up a bit short in some stick battles.

6"? That's a huge change in sick length. The difference between my d sticks and forward sticks are maybe 3" at most.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Actually I just rechecked it because I had my other sticks in the car, and it's more like 4 to 4 1/2". Without skates my current stick comes to just below my chin, and the new one is above the tip of my nose. If I hate it I'll just cut it. But for now, SCIENCE! :science:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Did anyone else get a "private 25% off Clearance items" coupon code from HockeyMonkey?

If not, anyone want one?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Hockles posted:

Did anyone else get a "private 25% off Clearance items" coupon code from HockeyMonkey?

If not, anyone want one?
No, I did not. And yes, I do.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Awhile ago I decided to start hitting the gym to help my game, including doing squats in hopes of improving my speed. I went from squatting 135 to 225, it seems my speed stayed roughly the same (maybe a little more explosiveness to my stride) but now my legs are getting so incredibly sore and tired like a period into the game. Tonight was absolutely brutal, by the third period I could barely skate. I try and make sure I'm doing squats 3 times a week, do I have to be giving myself more than just a day's rest if I have a game coming up? I did do some yesterday but it's not like my legs felt sore at all before hitting the ice today.

Also does anyone else feel like there's a peak skill level you hit where you just can't get any better? I'm 25 and have been playing this game for the majority of my life and I swear to god I still blow at it. Meanwhile a guy on my team started like 4 years ago and is already as good as or better than me. Scary to think how good he'd be if he started playing way younger.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Legs are the biggest muscles in your body. They need 2-3 days minimum for recovery after a leg day in the gym. That said, squatting 3 times a week is probably going to be detrimental to your hockey performance. I do legs once a week with at least 3 days before a game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp my inaugural beer league game was a 6-3 loss. Nothing bad to say about that, especially as we were playing against the previous season's champions so really I think a random group of strangers did pretty good.

Of course I'm officially the slowest and weakest skater on the ice again. I've been slowly creeping my way up the skill ladder in the instructional league and this took me down several pegs. I really gotta get faster strides and better on my edges.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Congrats xzzy. That's a big step. You will get better and more comfortable.

As for the legs, how are you eating? Drinking enough water? As I get older I notice more and more that what I eat seems to matter if I have some extra gas in the tank or not. Have you made changes to accommodate working out more?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah you might be overdoing it, while lifting and squats definitely help with strength in hockey, 3x per week is probably too much especially with only a day of rest before a game. Plyometrics are probably the best thing you can do for hockey physical performance and the biggest thing is to allow your body to recover or you will feel worse than if you hadn't worked out at all.

As far as getting better as an adult, I believe everyone can always improve it just takes time and work. It's hard for a lot of young adults because they grew up practicing and playing several days per week at their peak physical conditioning with no job or major life commitments.

Playing once per week as an adult without coaching or running drills will make it hard to see any improvement. Try looking into a clinic or something to improve your stick handing/skating. Muscle memory can be attained at any age as long as you put in the time and work. Both if which just so happen to be scarce as adults.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Including the games I play, I'm getting 6-7 hours of ice time a week now so the opportunity to improve is there, I just need to actually improve. Which is happening, I just want it happen faster. :v:

My schedule is actually really good now. I have no ice from Monday-Wednesday so I can blow out my legs and do a billion lunges on Monday and be fully recovered by Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesday are upper body and HIIT. Thursday is a nice clinic, Friday is rest, then Saturday/Sunday is games.

Now I just need to clean up my eating and I might someday resemble an athlete. :downs:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

the last signal... posted:

Awhile ago I decided to start hitting the gym to help my game, including doing squats in hopes of improving my speed. I went from squatting 135 to 225, it seems my speed stayed roughly the same (maybe a little more explosiveness to my stride) but now my legs are getting so incredibly sore and tired like a period into the game. Tonight was absolutely brutal, by the third period I could barely skate. I try and make sure I'm doing squats 3 times a week, do I have to be giving myself more than just a day's rest if I have a game coming up? I did do some yesterday but it's not like my legs felt sore at all before hitting the ice today.

I just finished off a program where I was squatting 3x/week, and I squat about as much as you. I think the main thing is that the program was designed so that most sessions were easy and low volume with typically 1 high-effort day in a week. There is no way I could recover well enough to skate if I was trying to do 5 x 5 @ 225 3x/week or something similarly insane. I was also super, super careful about resting between sessions. I'm definitely faster and more comfortable pushing myself on my edges than I was at the beginning of the program, but I also started playing in my 30s so it's extremely likely that my starting point was much lower than yours.

In general, though, I agree with folks who are saying plyometrics, or other explosive moves like Olympic weightlifting, are probably more valuable to hockey than strict strength. For me as an older lady I think strength and some of the toughness that comes from being strong is helpful in itself, but I feel like my athleticism has improved more since I started doing the Olympic lifts.

Oh! Edit to add: Do not neglect abs! I think consistently training core strength, particularly exercises with a rotational element like Russian twists or YLLS favorite the Pallof press are super-valuable. At my level especially I see people all the time who are held back by their lack of core strength.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 23, 2014

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
It may not be good any more (expires 02/23) but I have one of those HockeyMonkey codes if anyone wants it. 25% off any one clearance item, MAP excluded of course. Post here if you claim it:

EMX25CLRF0ROX841

They probably won't let you combine them, but code FEB15 is their regular 15% off sale, too.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Here's another code, same deal as Brettbot posted above. 25 % off sounds good if there is something you need on clearance, but if you are only buying one item shipping eats into the savings.

EMX25CLRQSMF2O6O

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Whelp my inaugural beer league game was a 6-3 loss. Nothing bad to say about that, especially as we were playing against the previous season's champions so really I think a random group of strangers did pretty good.

Of course I'm officially the slowest and weakest skater on the ice again. I've been slowly creeping my way up the skill ladder in the instructional league and this took me down several pegs. I really gotta get faster strides and better on my edges.

congrats, dude. 6-3 isn't bad as far as beer league goes, especially if they're 'reigning champs' (for whatever thats worth in beer league).

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Gio posted:

congrats, dude. 6-3 isn't bad as far as beer league goes, especially if they're 'reigning champs' (for whatever thats worth in beer league).

Yeah, I took the week before last off for back problems, so I looked up the score before this week's game: we lost 10-1. :stare: I guess that's what happens when I leave the team to fend for themselves!

Just kidding I am terrible

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Put on a good pickup last night. 4 on 4 on a downsized rink, 2 goalies and 18 skaters total. 30 bucks gets you a skater slot, a jersey and beers/dogs in the parking lot after the game. Best hotdog I've ever eaten. Yes we had mustard. Some lunatic also brought ketchup.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

all day every sunday the only thing i think about: "is it time to play hockey yet?"

if it wasn't for hockey sundays would be largely unbearable. what a terrible boring day of the week.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I'm skating out this spring season, and for shits and giggles I decided to try for the next league up. Felt like I did a lot right at the New Player Skate; I skated to open ice, kept my head up, didn't wait until I was on top of the D to make a move, made short passes to the stick of others, went to the net when I didn't have the puck, and covered the points on defense. I've come a fair way from a year and a half ago, between a vague idea of how to play D to being a fair low-end player in the upper Pond league.

I think the best compliment I had at the skate was, after jokingly going around to the B2 captains (most of which I have played goalie for at one point or another) to cross off my number, one of them said "Who are you and what the gently caress have you done with Mike?".

While I hope Bradf0rd makes it to B1, I also kinda hope we get together on the old alcoholic team.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

the last signal... posted:

Also does anyone else feel like there's a peak skill level you hit where you just can't get any better? I'm 25 and have been playing this game for the majority of my life and I swear to god I still blow at it. Meanwhile a guy on my team started like 4 years ago and is already as good as or better than me. Scary to think how good he'd be if he started playing way younger.

I was ALL SQUATS ALL THE TIME in my competitive days, I haven't done an proper squat now in probably a decade. Nowadays I do wall sits (60 sec with a 25 lbs weight on my lap) and lunges for my upper leg workout. I think it is way, way better than doing a bunch of weight on a bar.

I also do this thing a lot and it is probably the single best exercise there is for hockey. A 10 lbs dumbbell is way plenty for me, it is hard as hell.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Gio posted:

all day every sunday the only thing i think about : "is it time to play hockey yet?"

if it wasn't for hockey sundays would be largely unbearable. what a terrible boring day of the week.

I hear ya. I find myself getting all my gear together and ready for my Sunday game and then realize its only like 10:00am and I don't play until 4:40pm... :sigh: and then mindlessly do things around the house until its time to go play.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wish my games were that early, all of mine are like 10pm or later.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
We had an early game tonight, 6:30, which is 3-4 hours earlier than we usually play. Oddly enough we had less people show up than normal.

I had no puck luck today. I hit the post three times on shots where I beat the goalie clean, and I had one goal that didn't count because my winger was in the crease. We ended up losing 2-1, if only one or two of those shots had gone in! Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

I also do this thing a lot and it is probably the single best exercise there is for hockey. A 10 lbs dumbbell is way plenty for me, it is hard as hell.

Split squats are in that category too. Anything that has you on one leg is loving murder.