Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

The plan for when Almalexia is done is to be able to walk in and out through Mournhold, right? That'll at least offer a normal transition from the mainland and back again. But then, how do they plan to handle the cutoff city cells? Interesting technical challenge there.

Something along the lines of the Open Cities mod for Oblivion, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Also, never underestimate what you can find in any random hole in the ground! I went into a cave up at the northern end a bit west of, I wanna' say Gnissis and found two mage bitches who'd summoned scamps to mine a hole into a sealed off daedra ruin. Inside was a pack of really angry dremora lords and a golden saint and the biggest goddamn cache of daedric poo poo I've ever come across, including the only mask I've ever even found not on an npc.

...too bad I can't fuckin' wear it, but still...looks good on my mantle.

Love that place, but you gotta go back, bro. Return to the daedric chamber and look up above the crypt/where the body is. Spoilers about what you missed (or just didn't mention) Legendary shield Eidolon's Ward

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
On transport to the mainland: depending on where you are in Vvardenfell Telvanni lands, you can use Almsivi/Divine intervention to get to the mainland. In most of those lands, there isn't any temples connected to the Almsivi intervention network so using the spell in, say, Sadrith Mora, will send you to a temple on the mainland (Ranyon Ruhn or something like that I think) and using Divine intervention a good bit north of Sadrith Mora should take you to Firewatch.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Is there a minimal level I had ought to be before I Jesus over to the mainland?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
To give you an update on how my character, Gunter Goldfist, is doing, he's currently working on becoming Hlaalu and Telvanni Hortator and has Eidolon's Ward, the Boots of Blinding Speed, and Skull Crusher.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one chants out between two worlds, water walk with me

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
That skooma you like is going to come back in style.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Blindingly luminous, the Window glares the memory of a perfect sky over rolling hills
Reflected in miniature on pilgrim's eyes as hands maneuver. Doubled, they move like this
The Eye and the Tower. Firmament makes clear the sign
Stitching and patching I weave unwords of creation through the warp and weft of the stronger-weak magnetic forces
Yes and No echoes into infinity in nameless patterns to outnumber the stars in the sky, Yes and No

And the ending of the words is EXE.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

bobthedinosaur posted:

Is there a minimal level I had ought to be before I Jesus over to the mainland?

nah, go whenever you feel like it. TR is pretty much built to integrate into the normal game as seamlessly as possible and the same goes for difficulty.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know what the heck is wrong with the Adul's Leggings mod? It worked fine at first, but now it keeps spitting out an error along the lines of "cannot find referenced object _adul_trader_leggings in script" and the guy who actually makes things into leggings has vanished.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but I think one of the mods I have deleted the script to let me join the Temple through normal dialogue. And, for some reason, put TWO Left Fists of Randagulf into the game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

The plan for when Almalexia is done is to be able to walk in and out through Mournhold, right? That'll at least offer a normal transition from the mainland and back again. But then, how do they plan to handle the cutoff city cells? Interesting technical challenge there.

No open cities stuff. There are building models there of course, so if you look in it looks like mournhold. Originally there was an invisible barrier with "An invisible force blocks your path", but that was removed because it's super handwavey. Currently it's "you know very well nothing is in there don't be a dick".

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'm dicking around in the construction set to mod my stronghold a bit, and was curious as to how to set a chest to be owned. Is it automatically set just by being in an cell marked as yours, or do I have to change something? I want to throw in more storage options but I don't want things to get marked as stolen or disappear over time.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Bruteman posted:

It's been over a decade since I played but I still remember that one Telvanni house on the eastern coast that has a dungeon underneath it; as you go though, you start finding notes from members of a construction crew that the Telvanni wizard hired to excavate underneath the manor who got lost and realize something is hunting them and picking them off one by one. At the end you find the fire atronach that was killing them. That was pretty neat.

This was so anti-climactic for me, the atronach spawned on top of a lava pool and all I saw was a glimpse of it sinking pathetically into the lava.

I'm starting my stronghold today :dance: I noticed that the Telvanni eggmine slave rebellion quest gave me Command spells, but I have literally no chance to cast them and they have a nearly 200 magicka cost, even though I'm pretty good at Conjuration. I shoulda killed those slaves, the rewards would have been much better!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I think you get a rep point for not killing the slaves and if you get to some random number of rep you get to skip the lovely part of the MQ. It might be 30 or it might be 50, I forget which.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

An Angry Bug posted:

Anyone know what the heck is wrong with the Adul's Leggings mod? It worked fine at first, but now it keeps spitting out an error along the lines of "cannot find referenced object _adul_trader_leggings in script" and the guy who actually makes things into leggings has vanished.

That mod has an .ems and .esp file. Make sure they are both enabled. Also it seems that you should clean it with TESame, someone in the other thread reported that it gave him errors. I never had any problems with it though :shrug:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, will do.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just bootcamped my mac and have Morrowind GOTY running on this poo poo now :cool:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wish Bethesda would actually listen to people who want them to bring back the magic of Morrowind, but ever since they had those PR blunders with Oblivion by acting like gits and exaggerating the features of their games, they never post on their own forums outside of some lovely thread where they only answer questions irrelevant to their own games, such as "What is your favorite type of cake?" or other such bullshit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SunAndSpring posted:

I wish Bethesda would actually listen to people who want them to bring back the magic of Morrowind, but ever since they had those PR blunders with Oblivion by acting like gits and exaggerating the features of their games, they never post on their own forums outside of some lovely thread where they only answer questions irrelevant to their own games, such as "What is your favorite type of cake?" or other such bullshit.

bring back the brown, poo poo-covered aesthetic, i agree most wholeheartedly

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Panzeh posted:

As long as the interesting setting, cool design, and funny, exciting, and/or cool exploration bits can come too, I'm ok with that aesthetic. :colbert:

Edit: gently caress, I'll settle for "not another lord of the rings/game of thrones knock off". I'm not THAT picky.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Panzeh posted:

i guess you would say that, as a hitler.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Better that than Oblivion and Skyrim's Tolkien-land settings.

Also, Persona is the worst Shin Megami Tensei spin-off series.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SunAndSpring posted:

I wish, but I know they never will. They're making money hand over fist with Oblivion and Skyrim. No reason to gently caress with a good formula until someone else comes out with a better open world game. Witcher 3 maybe?

Panzeh posted:

That was just a sign of the times. Brown was really in fashion for a while. Their later games are much more colorful. And Morrowind had great art direction and was beautiful in its own way.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its interesting, there were few individual textures that you could look at and go "well, this is way too brown for what it should be" but everything was at least a little bit brown so when you put it all together voila, way too brown.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I feel like the graphic overhaul mods do a good job of putting a little more variation in there.

Still pretty brown though especially when you're in towns or cities or whatever.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

Better that than Oblivion and Skyrim's Tolkien-land settings.

Also, Persona is the worst Shin Megami Tensei spin-off series.

I'm pretty sure Demikids is the worst

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oblivion was like a bag of fuckin skittles it was so bright

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Shoehead posted:

it's a good thing skyrim saved the day by desaturating the gently caress out of everything

is it day or is it night? who knows in the land of skyrim

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

Finished the main quest, off to Mournhold, the goblins are kicking my rear end.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dexters Secret posted:

it's a good thing skyrim saved the day by desaturating the gently caress out of everything

is it day or is it night? who knows in the land of skyrim

to be fair, it is set in a fantasy scandinavia

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shoehead posted:

Unless there is a fire between you and the object, in which cases its like a bag of skittles that had water poured in it a few hours ago so all the colors have ran together.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shoehead posted:

With radioactive eye-rape HDR

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

hailthefish posted:

With radioactive eye-rape HDR

I'm glad we've moved past the age of that stupid rear end Vaseline-smear bloom lighting in every game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, Tamriel Rebuilt is loving broken for some reason. Apparently, one of their new creatures doesn't have a properly designated animation class, and so the game crashes every time I try to go to Ald Daedroth for the main quest. Anyone got a solution?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
re: the brownness, I was reading some articles by devs talking about making games back in the day (started with Crash Bandicoot and I kept reading from there). I remember them saying something about how up to a certain point, a lot of 3D games had limited palettes because of something to do with the graphics processing power, and it was one of the ways they had to manage FPS. I don't remember any technical details unfortunately, but it'd make perfect sense for Morrowind

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

re: the brownness, I was reading some articles by devs talking about making games back in the day (started with Crash Bandicoot and I kept reading from there). I remember them saying something about how up to a certain point, a lot of 3D games had limited palettes because of something to do with the graphics processing power, and it was one of the ways they had to manage FPS. I don't remember any technical details unfortunately, but it'd make perfect sense for Morrowind

morrowind is a giant dusty shithole anyway, so it works out

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the authentic vvardenfell experience

in seriousness it's not the brown palette that's the problem anymore, with the graphics overhaul. it's running out of magicka to cast night eye or light in a daedric ruin or sixth house base, and groping desperately through pitch blackness

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, Tamriel Rebuilt is loving broken for some reason. Apparently, one of their new creatures doesn't have a properly designated animation class, and so the game crashes every time I try to go to Ald Daedroth for the main quest. Anyone got a solution?

i played through ald daedroth not a month ago with tr installed and i didn't have a single problem. it sounds like you probably hosed up installing something somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Penguingo posted:

the authentic vvardenfell experience

in seriousness it's not the brown palette that's the problem anymore, with the graphics overhaul. it's running out of magicka to cast night eye or light in a daedric ruin or sixth house base, and groping desperately through pitch blackness

All night eye does is turn up the gamma, which you can do yourself. CHIM.

• Locked thread