Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
My wife has a tank with African Dwarf frogs in it. She feeds them every day, but the maintenance is fairly low overall. I have Cherry Shrimp in one of my tanks, and thry are also enjoyable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just started my first planted tank and I'm really pumped with how it's looking so far. Just a little 8 gallon I picked up on boxing day, but I plan on making this the test to convert my larger 20 gallon or possibly even go ham and but a 40.

Ground cover in the front gave me a bit of problem on the left, but I figure it will fill out with time.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I feel like they have popped up in this thread before, but what are those taller plants in the back? Very nice little setup.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I think it's cabomba.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It could be that or Hornwort... I am thinking the latter as I had that in my tanks at one point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It could also be ambulia. drat all those similar looking plants!

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

I'm about to get a 30 gallon aquarium (36"x17"x12"), and I'm trying to think up stocking ideas. So far I have this:

1 rubberlip pleco
1 blue angelfish (scalare)
10 cherry barbs
5 kuhli loaches

According to aqadvisor, my aquarium stocking level is 102%, which seems only technically overstocked, but I'm not sure how reliable that calculator is. What do you guys think? Should I cut back a bit? Could I add more?

Also, I'm a little worried about the angelfish since they're labeled semi-aggressive and the rest of the fish are peaceful (the loaches are even described as timid). Should I take it out?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Zandorv posted:

I'm about to get a 30 gallon aquarium (36"x17"x12"), and I'm trying to think up stocking ideas. So far I have this:

1 rubberlip pleco
1 blue angelfish (scalare)
10 cherry barbs
5 kuhli loaches

According to aqadvisor, my aquarium stocking level is 102%, which seems only technically overstocked, but I'm not sure how reliable that calculator is. What do you guys think? Should I cut back a bit? Could I add more?

Also, I'm a little worried about the angelfish since they're labeled semi-aggressive and the rest of the fish are peaceful (the loaches are even described as timid). Should I take it out?
I would be more worried about the angel getting nipped by the barbs personally. Cherries aren't so bad, but my experience has always been that barbs are a little nippy when they come across flowy fins. AQ advisor by default assumes adult sizes, so the pleco is probably what is contributing to that number most significantly. It'll max out just under a foot.

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Really? The site I'm looking at says they max out at 6"! Is there a smaller pleco I might be able to keep?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen a rubberlip/nose get over 5 inches. They do like high oxygenated water though. But you can easily keep one, or a bristlenose pleco in your size tank.

Keep an eye on the angel, but cherry barbs are not anywhere near as nippy as rosey or tiger barbs, so it should be fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone find most aquarium furniture just kind of ugly? Are there any real alternatives to Petco/Petsmart that aren't a fortune?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Do you mean tank stands or the stuff that goes in the tanks, for decor? I usually use driftwood and slate rock, and get both on Aquabid.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

My 4g tank is a tiny version of what you're describing. Lots of plants, snails and shrimp. I can forget about feeding them since they're all biofilm grazers and all that does is slow down population growth. Light helps the plants and the biofilm grows off nutrients from the animals. The only maintainence I do on that tank is to clean out the filter sponge every 2 months or so. That tank's water is absolutely pristine. The only issue is that I occasionally have to cull some MTS snails, but that's easy as getting a pair of solid tongs and squashing them, then that feeds the shrimp.

Bait and Swatch posted:

My wife has a tank with African Dwarf frogs in it. She feeds them every day, but the maintenance is fairly low overall. I have Cherry Shrimp in one of my tanks, and thry are also enjoyable as well.

Thank you both! I'm liking the sound of the cherry shrimp with snails idea. I still have quite a lot of MTS (chain loaches got a lot but not all).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do you mean tank stands or the stuff that goes in the tanks, for decor? I usually use driftwood and slate rock, and get both on Aquabid.

Tank stands.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Help me goons. It's 3am and I am surfing amazon for aquariums. I want to have a sweet aquarium but have never had one before. Is setting my money on fire for one of those sweet looking fluval edge aquariums a terrible idea? What should a literaly and complete newbie do here.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Zandorv posted:

Really? The site I'm looking at says they max out at 6"! Is there a smaller pleco I might be able to keep?

Yeah, my bad. I have been operating on bad info. I just googled it and very few people agree with me on the max size. And those that do are company I would rather not have (pet smart lists them as 10"). Sorry about that .

As far as the Edge goes, it's hard to compare to other tanks. Based purely on cost per gallon, it's a bad investment. For about the same amount of money you could get a 29 gallon beginners kit and be able to do a lot more. But it won't be an Edge. If the small size of the tank appeals to you and the uniqueness is worth the extra cash to you, you probably won't regret it. They are very well reviewed and come from a reputable company. You will just be very limited in stocking options.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 23, 2014

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Ramadu posted:

Help me goons. It's 3am and I am surfing amazon for aquariums. I want to have a sweet aquarium but have never had one before. Is setting my money on fire for one of those sweet looking fluval edge aquariums a terrible idea? What should a literaly and complete newbie do here.

Apparently the top opening on Fluval edges is really small and makes doing any tank maintenance a pain in the bum, you're probably better off buying the largest bog standard aquarium you can afford or looking to see if there any promising second hand tanks in your area.
That's how I got my current one and it was a really good bargain.

Plus plain aquariums are really versatile, you can choose the style of filter you want, take the hood off and grow emersed plants along the edge (this is how mine is set up) and really play about with the lighting.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I loved my edge :colbert:

I did tank maintenance with a small tube and a toothbrush for the corners, it worked fine. Just don't plan to have much stock or plant very heavily, as the light is only in the center. I did anubias, small driftwood, and my paddletail newt as the solo resident.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Ramadu posted:

If you want something small that looks more modern, but don't want to drop a bundle for a first tank, I got myself a Tetra 3-gallon cube, and with an aftermarket filter and light the whole setup cost me ~$60 and looks really nice. It's plastic though, so it scratches fairly easily.

The fluvals are drat sexy though. I've been eyeing one for a second shrimp tank just because I have the perfect spot for it...

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I love my edge, but 5 gallons is really small. if I were buying one I'd get the tall (10 gal?) one in a second. cleans great with a little mag sponge, filtering is good, and it looks beautiful. Everyone who sees it says nice things. my only worry is that it is so little I will eventually get bored and buy a bigger tank that won't be so pretty.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Is there any difference between sea salt, ionized salt, etc (obvious not flavored salt) and "aquarium salt" i may see for sale at my lfs?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

xxEightxx posted:

Is there any difference between sea salt, ionized salt, etc (obvious not flavored salt) and "aquarium salt" i may see for sale at my lfs?

Sea salt is generally gonna refer to a saltwater tank and contain minerals and trace elements that are at best useless and at worst dangerous in a freshwater setup. Aquarium salt will generally refer to a freshwater additive. Iodized salt to the best of my knowledge has no place in any tank.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Sea salt is generally gonna refer to a saltwater tank and contain minerals and trace elements that are at best useless and at worst dangerous in a freshwater setup. Aquarium salt will generally refer to a freshwater additive. Iodized salt to the best of my knowledge has no place in any tank.

I have used dishwasher salt instead of aquarium salt to treat a bacterial infection in my fish (after much googling to check it was safe) and it's worked like a charm.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Marine salt is good for making saltwater and brackish water. It is also good for live bearers and inverts. Aquarium salt is pretty much useless and is often grabbed for making brackish water instead of marine, which causes the water to not actually be brackish. Table salt may contain additives that could be toxic to fish.

Certain fish like a bit of salt, and some, such as Corys, will die from it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I use no-additive rock salt to treat a sick freshwater tank, worked well every time I've needed it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have never seen a rubberlip/nose get over 5 inches. They do like high oxygenated water though. But you can easily keep one, or a bristlenose pleco in your size tank.

Keep an eye on the angel, but cherry barbs are not anywhere near as nippy as rosey or tiger barbs, so it should be fine.

I have a rubberlip that has not grown in the two years I have owned it and it is under 4in. also I hardly ever see him out but when I do and he spots me.. *poof* gone like a rocket.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Fejsze posted:

If you want something small that looks more modern, but don't want to drop a bundle for a first tank, I got myself a Tetra 3-gallon cube, and with an aftermarket filter and light the whole setup cost me ~$60 and looks really nice. It's plastic though, so it scratches fairly easily.

The fluvals are drat sexy though. I've been eyeing one for a second shrimp tank just because I have the perfect spot for it...

Yeah that modern sexiness is what really drew me to them. I managed not to give in and buy something in t he middle of the night but I still want a tank. Are there any guides/suggestions for a total newbie to this fish stuff? Money isn't too much of an object right now but obviously keeping costs low owns.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I'm after some advice around my Rainbow fish if anyone has any thoughts. They seem to like spending most of their time nosing the glass, to the point where they are all starting to get rub marks. They obviously do this a lot more in the evenings around feeding time, but you can look at the tank any time the lights are on and see similar behaviour.

I was wondering if this might be down to reflections? It's always brighter in the tank than outside while the lights are on. The Danios don't seem interested, we have some new Guppies which behave in a similar way every so often but it seems constant with the Rainbows. Water levels are all good, everything seems healthy, any ideas? I don't like fish with sore noses.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 25, 2014

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Hello fish thread!

I used to keep a few fish years ago and resurrected an old 20gal tall tank now that my daughter is old enough to express an interest in pets.

We had a bit of a rough time getting the tank cycled, but things seem good now since the nitrates dropped overnight a couple weeks ago. We have three indestructible fish (2 female balloon mollies and a male platy), but are having terrible luck introducing anything else.

The ph is very high around here 8+. Ammonia, nitrates, etc seem to test ok, and the water isn't too hot or cold.

We tried a few guppies and a male mollie. One guppy started swimming erratically and then died. The other started doing the same thing and had tiny white dots all over her and died the next day. The male mollie just got really lethargic and died, no white dots on him. The male guppy seems perfectly fine, and my three original fish are also fine.

The fish that died, did so within one our two days from purchase from a petco.

I really don't want to kill any more fish, but i would like a few more in the tank.

Any thoughts? I'm really not that great at fish ailments yet. The tank is somewhat planted and has been running for about 2 months total (maybe half of that filly cycled)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I've got an idea. Don't buy fish from Petco.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You've been doing regular water changes during the course of the cycling or have you done nothing since? Some fish are sensitive to pH levels but I have not heard of them just up and dying. What process are you using to introduce the new fish into the aquarium?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Partial water changes weekly or so. Introduction into the tank by placing the new bag into the water to let any temperature differences equalize. After that i let the fish out of the bag. If that is shocking them, I'll try leaving them in and adding aquarium water into the bag first.

I know the large chains are not the best choice for fish, but haven't had this level of problems in the past. I live in a town that has no other aquatics stores. Looks like there is a fish specialty store about an hour away from here.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beastyfella posted:

Partial water changes weekly or so. Introduction into the tank by placing the new bag into the water to let any temperature differences equalize. After that i let the fish out of the bag. If that is shocking them, I'll try leaving them in and adding aquarium water into the bag first.

I know the large chains are not the best choice for fish, but haven't had this level of problems in the past. I live in a town that has no other aquatics stores. Looks like there is a fish specialty store about an hour away from here.

I'll make a suggestion and others may chime in on this but insofar as the acclimation I would suggest you drip acclimate and not using the method of letting the bag get to temperature. The difference in the water between Petco and your tank water is vastly different and the temperature shock is the least of your worries there.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Sounds like good advice. How long should i let them acclimate using that method?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beastyfella posted:

Sounds like good advice. How long should i let them acclimate using that method?

I use the same method for fish as my shrimp etc. so I put them into a temporary container.. I use one of those small critter keepers just for this. I have to pieces of airline tubing cut to lengths long enough to reach from the aquarium to the keeper. I have one of these little valves inline and set it so it is on a semi-fast drip but not running water. The goal is to double the volume in about an hours time. At that point I use a turkey baster I bought just for this and remove about half the volume. I let it go for another half hour before I net the fish and move them over. The end game is to replace about 90-95% of the water the fish came in with the new water. I never ever allow the water from any other source enter my tanks though because you never know what you are introducing into the environment.

There are a few different approaches to this same technique but all more or less want you to replace the volume of water the fish is in with the 100% of the new water it will be kept in over the period of at least one hour, the more time the merrier but always a slow drip vs. fast.

A couple of articles on dripping, that first one is very similar to my setup.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/drip-acclimation.aspx

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=290

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 26, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Yeah that modern sexiness is what really drew me to them. I managed not to give in and buy something in t he middle of the night but I still want a tank. Are there any guides/suggestions for a total newbie to this fish stuff? Money isn't too much of an object right now but obviously keeping costs low owns.

Everything the thread regulars have is right in the OP, divided up into many different sections! If you're still unsure about anything after going through it, or if anything is unclear, bring it up and we'll help.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
For drip acclamation, I've been using this guy
http://www.amazon.com/Doradon-FA18X-Aquarium-Acclimation-System/dp/B005YIVJSU/

Same process as demon's, but uses the bag they come in as the container. Also allows temperature adjustment to happen as well since the bag is left in the aquarium.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Woke up this morning and found Destro, my red empress hap, floating dead at the top of the tank. He looked really beat up, and I'm not sure what happened to him. Last night he looked perfectly fine, and I've never seen any fish picking on him in the two years I've had him. I've lost a few fish over the years to various things, but this one really sucks. :cry:

RIP you beautiful bastard

DSC_6703.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JuffoWup posted:

For drip acclamation, I've been using this guy
http://www.amazon.com/Doradon-FA18X-Aquarium-Acclimation-System/dp/B005YIVJSU/

Same process as demon's, but uses the bag they come in as the container. Also allows temperature adjustment to happen as well since the bag is left in the aquarium.

Holy crap that is interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Fluval Edges...I just got the 12 gallon and have been cycling it. There's just a piece of driftwood and some dirt and sand so far. It got one of those milky bacterial blooms and while I was waiting for it to clear up, the impeller in the filter broke (I think it sucked up some sand while I was moving the driftwood around). I ordered a replacement part but meanwhile it's been sitting around for 4-5 days with no filtration and a bacterial bloom. Pretty gross.

My question is: should I just drain out all the murky water and start over, or try to salvage this batch? If salvage, where would I even start? I haven't tested the water quality because quite frankly I'm a little scared to.