Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prosecutors have wide discretion to choose not to pursue something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Prosecutors have wide discretion to choose not to pursue something.

Like Christie, when he chose not to go after GOP donors?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Like Christie, when he chose not to go after GOP donors?

A job he got despite having zero related work experience.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 22, 2014

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Can they legally, or even semi-legally, do this?
I know that such a thing as plea-bargains exist, but this would seem to be different than a plea-bargain. If they are investigating a crime, they can't base their investigation on what he is currently doing.

It's not that uncommon, I believe Spitzer resigned and wasn't prosecuted according to a similar deal. I agree it's sleazy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ufarn posted:

Or, Christie will become a repentant Democrat and get a spot as MSNBC.

You either get one of your own mouth pieces or a token convert.
Crist/Christie '16

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Crist/Christie '16

Well Christie has lots of good experience in working with Democrats, he knows what bribes they prefer.

The whole state is basically a modern day Tammy hall given how the governor has lots of ways to perform favors for useful friends

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 23, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ReindeerF posted:

Crist/Christie '16

The ultimate Crummy Bipartisanship ticket. The media would be all over it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

glowing-fish posted:

Can they legally, or even semi-legally, do this?
I know that such a thing as plea-bargains exist, but this would seem to be different than a plea-bargain. If they are investigating a crime, they can't base their investigation on what he is currently doing.
Sure. Our corrupt-as-gently caress bribe-taking AG was being investigated by our legislature, the feds, and the DA. He resigned in November and everything ground to a dead halt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Sure. Our corrupt-as-gently caress bribe-taking AG was being investigated by our legislature, the feds, and the DA. He resigned in November and everything ground to a dead halt.

So basically it's a cheat code to avoid the final walk of shame?

Caros
May 14, 2008

etalian posted:

So basically it's a cheat code to avoid the final walk of shame?

In a lot of cases the whole point of the investigation is to get people out of a position of power that they've been abusing. If Christie has to step down, most people will (wrongly in my opinion) be satisfied that he's at least out of office. Anything past that and you start seeing accusations of witchhunts etc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, a small part of the "two-tiered justice" thing is that you can "punish" an elite by just disgracing them and bumping them down to be a regular person, and other elites generally don't have an appetite for much more than that for obvious reasons.

Christie's NJ numbers dropped some more; he's down to 49% percent approval. His "Hero-of-Sandy-recovery" image (is fading and) is tainted. 61% of NJ people think he's being dishonest about the lane closures and 50% think he was personally involved. Honestly, even though I think 100% of informed dispassionate people SHOULD think he was personally involved, I don't know why that number is going up. Seems like most wishy-washy folks should be sick of the story / tuning out, and I haven't noticed a shift in the posture of coverage.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/recordpolitics/Christie_approval_ratings_take_another_hit_amid_GWB_controversy_poll_finds.html

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Previously_redacted_GWB_messages_released_revealing_new_information.html?page=all

quote:

The private messages that linked Governor Christie’s office to lane closures at the George Washington Bridge also contain jokes about causing “traffic problems” at the home of a New Jersey rabbi associated with the Port Authority, newly released documents show.

In the texts about the chaplain, Wildstein sent Kelly a picture of Rabbi Mendy Carlebach, later writing: “And he has officially pissed me off.”

“Clearly,” Kelly responded on Aug. 19.

“We cannot cause traffic problems in front of his house, can we?” Kelly wrote.

“Flights to Tel Aviv all mysteriously delayed,” wrote Wildstein, an executive at the bi-state agency that controls the region’s airports.

“Perfect,” Kelly wrote.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

A culture of abuse of executive powers for petty vendettas.

Even if Christie avoids being personally dipped in the poo poo, he's dead as a candidate.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Even if he gets to speak at CPAC this year, it won't mean poo poo if he lost his initial draw as a candidate (crossover support), does it?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Even if he gets to speak at CPAC this year, it won't mean poo poo if he lost his initial draw as a candidate (crossover support), does it?

Yep.

His only hope now is to go full wingnut. I think we've seen some initial steps towards that direction with some of the language involved in the "MEDIA CONSPIRACY!!!" defense of this situation and some unprovoked Obama bashing. His problem with that is that he's trailing the pack in a bad way when it comes to GOP purity. His actual problem of course is that his hurricane Sandy photo shoot with Obama doesn't serve any purpose now other than pissing off Republicans.

The way things are going I'm half expecting him to say those photos were a media conspiracy and he actually used their whole time together angrily demanding the end of the ACA

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He's probably going to have a strong showing as supporting him "Sends a message" to whatever Emmanuel Goldstein figure they're hating at the moment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oh deary me, you do not want to piss off the Jewish bloc in NJ.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder how smug Barbara Buono is feeling right about now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

Oh deary me, you do not want to piss off the Jewish bloc in NJ.

One morning you'll wake up in a tub of ice and missing a kidney.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

The Entire Universe posted:

He's probably going to have a strong showing as supporting him "Sends a message" to whatever Emmanuel Goldstein figure they're hating at the moment.

I disagree. It's going to be hard to claim a liberal media conspiracy during the primaries when Marky Marc Rubio and the flunky bunch are calling you out on the exact same thing. I also doubt anyone gnashing their teeth so hard they'd support a primary candidate out of spite for LIBERALS is going to gravitate toward the NJ Governor with a history of conservative apostasy.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
It's the gift that keeps on giving. So gratifying watching this bastard go out in a tail spin. Though I doubt this will make much difference in terms of general corruption here in NJ, but it'd be a spec of sunlight to watch his bullshit be laid out for everyone to see.

Also I can't imagine jew jokes are going to be shrugged off easily in this part of the country.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ayn rand hand job posted:

One morning you'll wake up in a tub of Sahlab and missing your wallet.

FTFY

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I disagree. It's going to be hard to claim a liberal media conspiracy during the primaries when Marky Marc Rubio and the flunky bunch are calling you out on the exact same thing. I also doubt anyone gnashing their teeth so hard they'd support a primary candidate out of spite for LIBERALS is going to gravitate toward the NJ Governor with a history of conservative apostasy.

It's less his positions and more the strength of their hatred.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No, the original post was accurate. New Jersey Jews will literally steal your organs in the night. It was a whole thing a few years back.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

No, the original post was accurate. New Jersey Jews will literally steal your organs in the night. It was a whole thing a few years back.

Not just any Jews. Actual rabbis.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Oxxidation posted:

No, the original post was accurate. New Jersey Jews will literally steal your organs in the night. It was a whole thing a few years back. If we're thinking of the same story.
It was trafficking, not theft. They paid poor people for their organs, and then resold them for big profits.

quote:

Another man in Brooklyn, Levy-Izhak Rosenbaum, was accused of enticing vulnerable people to give up a kidney for $10,000 and then selling the organ for $160,000. Mr. Dwek pretended to be soliciting a kidney on behalf of someone and Mr. Rosenbaum said that he had been in business of buying organs for years, according to the complaint.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rabbis also make you irritable and unable to swallow water, and foam at the mouth.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Andrew Cuomo is exposed (well, again) as being garbage too.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/port_authority_officials_battle_over_toll_hikes_was_all_for_show.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the whole democrat NE limousine liberal party bloc is pretty horrible.

They even happily tossed Buono under the bus since Christie gave them a offer they couldn't refuse.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I am shocked, shocked, to see play-acting in my government.

Cuomo's gonna be president one day, isn't he? augh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

He also raided $140 million dollars in Sandy energy relief funds to run a new york ad campaign.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Warcabbit posted:

I don't think so. I am not scandalized by the toll hike kayfabe but he is so unctuous and seems congenitally incapable of getting in front of any issue until it is a political slam dunk. Basically he's part Romney without the excuse of having to appeal to crazy people and part Christie without the excuse of being an rear end in a top hat.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Warcabbit posted:

I remember "Cuomo is the obvious choice" talk in the early 1990s, when they were talking about his father.

I think Cuomo is one of the many "inevitable candidates" that never get anywhere.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

glowing-fish posted:

I remember "Cuomo is the obvious choice" talk in the early 1990s, when they were talking about his father.

I think Cuomo is one of the many "inevitable candidates" that never get anywhere.

Cuomo won't end up like his father. He'll at the very least end up actually registering for primaries.

edit: Mario was pretty drat reluctant to run for president. He had a lot of grass roots support, but he never capitalized on it. At the end of it all, he ended up as a three term governor and probably has fathered a NY political dynasty.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 3, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Here's one more nail in Christie's porcupine-like coffin: Christie Gave Pieces of 9/11 Wreckage as Gifts. Apparently the governor helped secure some endorsements by giving away chunks of the Twin Towers that were supposed to be used for memorials.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Here's one more nail in Christie's porcupine-like coffin: Christie Gave Pieces of 9/11 Wreckage as Gifts. Apparently the governor helped secure some endorsements by giving away chunks of the Twin Towers that were supposed to be used for memorials.

Holy poo poo, that just cost him (re-)election anywhere if true.

I also like that the article uses the phrase "the one-time 2016 hopeful" to describe him. Pretty damned accurate.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Holy poo poo, that just cost him (re-)election anywhere if true.

I also like that the article uses the phrase "the one-time 2016 hopeful" to describe him. Pretty damned accurate.

Yeah, I mentioned this a few pages back. From what I've read the pieces were given to mayors in New Jersey, most likely for memorials and poo poo in their cities. The issue is more that he gave the pieces out without any of the normal process, not that he gave them out at all so it isn't quite as damning.

It is still sick as all gently caress, don't get me wrong.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Caros posted:

Yeah, I mentioned this a few pages back. From what I've read the pieces were given to mayors in New Jersey, most likely for memorials and poo poo in their cities. The issue is more that he gave the pieces out without any of the normal process, not that he gave them out at all so it isn't quite as damning.

It is still sick as all gently caress, don't get me wrong.

You did? Are you sure it was in this thread, and not another one? It doesn't look like you mentioned anything about it.

And yeah, I think the idea that he gave them out as political favors is going to make for one hell of an attack ad among all of the other things in this thread.

:911: he forgot :911:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Volmarias posted:

You did? Are you sure it was in this thread, and not another one? It doesn't look like you mentioned anything about it.

And yeah, I think the idea that he gave them out as political favors is going to make for one hell of an attack ad among all of the other things in this thread.

:911: he forgot :911:

... Yeah, I just realized I posted it in the USA thread not the Fat thread.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
People are continuing to hammer nails into the corpse of Christie's political career: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117066/christies-stronger-storm-jersey-shore-post-sandy-ad-cover

Those wonderful 'Stronger than the Storm' Ads apparently had to go through a bidding process that was corrupt as all gently caress. Not only did the contract go to a company that was twice as more expensive, there was basically no competition between the more-expensive company winning the bid and the runner up, who had more experience in advertising. The selection committee was, unsurprisingly, chaired by a long-time Christie aid. The paperwork regarding it had the names of the committee members redacted, which is what started the investigation into it, since such things are supposed to be public record.

• Locked thread