Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm...about a month away from sitting in a carrier.

I have way too much SP for how often I play this game. Someone save me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm almost to capswarm spec myself, but otherwise same.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

PerrineClostermann posted:

Hey, just be glad you can use a space suitcase. Trust me, it'll make your life a million times easier.

wdarkk posted:

I'm almost to capswarm spec myself, but otherwise same.

100 days to capswarm myself. :negative:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like I have a cyno-ready alt, though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Generally there are convoys anywhere you really need a space suitcase though.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly the best use of a carrier these days is moving stuff.

Most combat you will ever see in one is repping a pos and getting dropped then killed, or dropping someone and assigning drones.

I mean you can always rat with it, but if you wanted a ratting carrier you would go Thanatos sentry fit.

Still, it's easier to cross train for Capitals, thank god.

Moral
Feb 9, 2014

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Uba Stij posted:

Ganking Hulks and Orca's on that CCP Mining Fleet was a ton of fun.

CCP's response -

Haahaha, I'm glad to see that CCP can have a little fun like the rest of us.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm disappointed that they're aren't any drone implants. Are there any implants that indirectly improve drone usage a bunch?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Alexzandvar posted:

I mean you can always rat with it, but if you wanted a ratting carrier you would go Thanatos sentry fit.

uhh, no. The thanatos has a fighter damage bonus, not a drone damage bonus. It's no better at doing damage than any other carrier when not using fighters, and the archon tanks better. The only reason to have a thanatos is so you can fit remote shield reps and sit on a pos, and the nidhoggur does that better.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

uhh, no. The thanatos has a fighter damage bonus, not a drone damage bonus. It's no better at doing damage than any other carrier when not using fighters, and the archon tanks better. The only reason to have a thanatos is so you can fit remote shield reps and sit on a pos, and the nidhoggur does that better.

Sorry, never really ever got into ratting carrier's, probably shouldn't have been to quick to post on what one you would use.

Might just be my subconscious trying to justify getting gallente battleship V back in the day :suicide:

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
At one point I decided it would be more interesting to build my first carrier then buy it. I never got around to finishing it because I've never really needed a carrier, it's been sitting half assembled in a backwater highsec station for about 5 years.

It comes off the line in 11 days 20 hours :toot:

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
As an amarr pilot just doing missions in high-sec what factions should I be focused on ranking up?

I've already got ministry of internal order 8+ and sisters of eve 3+.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lowkin posted:

As an amarr pilot just doing missions in high-sec what factions should I be focused on ranking up?

As an pilot in eve you should be focused on getting the gently caress out of highsec, people have been telling you for a while to get out of there. Do you like slamming your face on a wall? Or is it another reason?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

i do cocaine posted:

As an pilot in eve you should be focused on getting the gently caress out of highsec, people have been telling you for a while to get out of there. Do you like slamming your face on a wall? Or is it another reason?

I'm convinced he's just loving trolling at this point.

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost
Great article on EVE nullsec history on TMC by James 315:

http://themittani.com/features/did-cfc-just-win-eve

A really good read with a 'realpolitik' take on nullsec politics and history.

Money quote:

quote:

All in all, it's fair to say that there were some hard feelings between SirMolle and PL. Yet on the day of B-R, SirMolle's titan flew with PL against the forces of CFC and RUS. If that can happen, anything can--it's the EVE equivalent of French resistance fighters marching alongside the Nazis. Not that I'm equating BoB to Nazi Germany, of course. Such a comparison would doubtless offend both groups.

:godwin:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Zalmun posted:

Money quote:

I enjoyed it quite a bit, reminds me of when I am going through older wiki articles on null-sec politics and seeing the CFC article naming its current/founding members as the GSF, TEST, and TNT.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

i do cocaine posted:

I've posted a bunch times I'm not leaving high-sec until I get myself situated, I gave this game a try for 2 months back in 09 and I hated it because I moved to the goon station. I was underclassed in every fight. I am quite content skilling up and ratting missions while I figure this game out.

I am not going to rush into null-sec only to be blown up a million times as a learning experience, that is not fun for me and I will end up quitting.

All the threads about this stuff are 2 years old and I don't know if they are relevant. I'll just start using the rookie help channel.

Lowkin fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 23, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lowkin posted:

Do you somehow enjoy doing missions? Can you please tell us where you run them so we can suicide gank your blinged out mission running autism chariot?

Seriously, go to null and afk rat on an alt, that way you can do interesting things despite playing eve.

e:

Lowkin posted:

I've posted a bunch times I'm not leaving high-sec until I get myself situated, I gave this game a try for 2 months back in 09 and I hated it because I moved to the goon station. I was underclassed in every fight. I am quite content skilling up and ratting missions while I figure this game out.

I am not going to rush into null-sec only to be blown up a million times as a learning experience, that is not fun for me and I will end up quitting.

Even the most ~elite peeveepee~ goons die in fights. You will be underclassed in many fights even if you come to VFK in a 25 billion officer fit Marauder because guess what, any single ship will get killed if people feel like it (up to and including lone supers). On second thought, definitely come to VFK in a 25 bil officer fit Marauder so we can laugh about the inevitable lossmail.

You will never get yourself situated, and thinking losing ships is terrible is the first sign of becoming an incorrigible highsec number maximiser. Fly free T1 frigates and treat them like ammo. Then fly bigger ships and treat them as slightly more expensive ammo.

nessin posted:

Depends on what you want to do and where. Incursion ships generally have a significant omni-tank, especially if they're blingy, so it takes a solid effort to gank them. Going into incursion sites to screw with them means having to deal with the incursion rats if they target you (not sure how Concord works in an incursion) and trying to steal sites from them requires actually having an incursion running fleet in the first place.

You could also grief them by finishing off the mothership site quickly, before the incursion would normally end. Incursion runners will cry rivers about people ruining their ~maximum isk efficiency~.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 23, 2014

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

blowfish posted:

Fly free T1 frigates and treat them like ammo. Then fly bigger ships and treat them as slightly more expensive ammo.

Holy poo poo, I'm saving this quote for all of our newbies in groon who are afraid to leave highsec/afraid to lose ships. That's a great perspective to have.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

blowfish posted:

Do you somehow enjoy doing missions? Can you please tell us where you run them so we can suicide gank your blinged out mission running autism chariot?

Seriously, go to null and afk rat on an alt, that way you can do interesting things despite playing eve.

e:

Even the most ~elite peeveepee~ goons die in fights. You will be underclassed in many fights even if you come to VFK in a 25 billion officer fit Marauder because guess what, any single ship will get killed if people feel like it (up to and including lone supers). On second thought, definitely come to VFK in a 25 bil officer fit Marauder so we can laugh about the inevitable lossmail.

You will never get yourself situated, and thinking losing ships is terrible is the first sign of becoming an incorrigible highsec number maximiser. Fly free T1 frigates and treat them like ammo. Then fly bigger ships and treat them as slightly more expensive ammo.

I don't mind mission's at all(dual monitors) I am just treating it as something that I will have to do eventually might as well do it now while I am still new.

I am not aiming for V in all PvP frig skills I just realize the massive advantage someone with t2 fits will have over me and I don't enjoy smashing my head against a wall as cocaine suggested.

I can't get my E-Boner unless I feel I did something in fights.

Lowkin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 23, 2014

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Lowkin posted:

I don't mind mission's at all(dual monitors) I am just treating it as something that I will have to do eventually might as well do it now while I am still new.

I am not aiming for V in all PvP frig skills I just realize the massive advantage someone with t2 fits will have over me and I don't enjoy smashing my head against a wall as cocaine suggested.

So join up and fly with other people who do and it doesn't matter? I mean do whatever you want, but it seems like if you're waiting for ~the perfect time~ you'll always be waiting. There's always going to be something bigger and badder than you, with a better fit, skills, whatever.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 23, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lowkin posted:

I am not suggesting that pvp is smashing your head against a wall. I am saying that repeating missions over and over in highsec is smashing your head against a wall. I mean, what do you want to do in fights? We have fleet doctrines that <1month old newbies can fly and they are EFFECTIVE and can actually influence the course of a fight. DPS is actually one of the dullest and least effective jobs in a fleet fight. Logistics or Ewar are much more effective in a fight and surprise, you can fly both with a minimal of skill training.

EDIT: You know what, talking to you about it is smashing my head into the wall, where do you rat/mission, so I can educate you about PvP?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lowkin posted:

You don't ever have to do missions. What made you think that? Don't do missions.

Tackling is one of the most useful things that any pilot can do, and it's one of the easiest roles to train into.

And FYF is extremely useful and easy to train into, too

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lowkin posted:

It's not about whether you will die 1vs1, because most of the time it will be 10 vs 10 or 100 vs 250 :getin:. You tackling or (currently more likely) sensor dampening three 1337 pvp-ers in a Celestis or you keeping our dps ships alive in an Exequror is much more important than doing 135 instead of 130 dps because you finally got T2 light blasters or something (seriously, I only recently got T2 light hybrids and projectile weapons to qualify for interceptor reimbursement).

e: did I mention I'm currently flying battle ventures to anything that isn't a stratop?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

You don't ever have to do missions. What made you think that? Don't do missions.

Tackling is one of the most useful things that any pilot can do, and it's one of the easiest roles to train into.

Yeah, fast tackle simply isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some people hate it and that is okay.

A damping Celestis or a healing Exequror are both very useful and fast to train into. They also have the benefit that you probably won't die within the first 5 minutes of engaging the enemy. This isn't just propaganda or makework to keep newbies busy until they can fly bigger ships, PLN3 developed the "wrecking ball" doctrine just to try to counter our newbies in celstises. This is the real deal.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Lowkin posted:

I've been playing almost a year now, I can fly domis and all that jazz and I still enjoy flying a celestis, falcon or blackbird. Celestis requires a minimum of skills to become effective with all the while you get fleet experience and still skill up, even the falcon works well with a minimum of electronic warfare skills. In fact during my entire time with FA, celestis is the only thing I fly and enjoy in big fleets regularly.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I was under the impression I needed standing for lvl 5 missions and incursions? which I thought is how most people make ISK
If I am wrong then yea I feel stupid.

i do cocaine posted:

I am not suggesting that pvp is smashing your head against a wall. I am saying that repeating missions over and over in highsec is smashing your head against a wall. I mean, what do you want to do in fights? We have fleet doctrines that <1month old newbies can fly and they are EFFECTIVE and can actually influence the course of a fight. DPS is actually one of the dullest and least effective jobs in a fleet fight. Logistics or Ewar are much more effective in a fight and surprise, you can fly both with a minimal of skill training.

EDIT: You know what, talking to you about it is smashing my head into the wall, where do you rat/mission, so I can educate you about PvP?
Leave me alone. I am enjoying the game at the moment.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Lowkin posted:

All the threads about this stuff are 2 years old and I don't know if they are relevant. I'll just start using the rookie help channel.
You will never get situated by playing in hisec.

No seriously, the skills are almost 100% non transferable to living in null where you can be flying in fleets of a couple/dozen/hundreds of people depending on your preference, learning useful skills, and making friends. Today.

You are more likely to die in hisec playing alone than you are when flying in fleets surrounded by competent allies and fighters.

You will make no money in hisec. You will not learn any useful aspects about fighting in hisec.

You will not "figure this game out" as it applies to null, where all the interesting stuff is, by playing in hisec.

You're stubborn and you will probably quit playing soon anyway, because you'll have sunk in all that boring time in hisec only to come away with very little when/if you do finally decide to move out.

I get that you want to go about it your own way but consider that every rationale you mentioned keeping you in hisec is flawed and there's a reason everyone in this thread is suggesting you move out.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Lowkin posted:

I was under the impression I needed standing for lvl 5 missions and incursions?

Level 5 missions yes, incursions no.

However, the incursion community is insular, toxic and elitist. If you want to run incursions I would suggest you find some like minded individuals and roll your own fleets, rather then get involved with the incursion groups. The downside of this approach is that you'll end up competing with them for sites.

The upside is you don't have to interact with people who think that "entry level" is a navy battleship with t2 rigs and faction resists :suicide:

Above Our Own posted:

You are more likely to die in hisec playing alone than you are when flying in fleets surrounded by competent allies and fighters.

There are many things you've said about highsec that are true, but lets be clear on this: that's a flagrant lie.

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 23, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lowkin posted:

I was under the impression I needed standing for lvl 5 missions and incursions? which I thought is how most people make ISK

Nah. Most goons make money by
* salvaging (mostly for the first two weeks as a :shobon: newbee)
* afk ratting in Ishtars, Vexor Navy Issues, and Carriers
* importing things from jita and selling them (we have jump freighter services that ship around stuff for you really cheap)
* scamming pubbies
* running POS reaction farms (if you are space rich with like 100 bil isk floating around, this becomes worth the effort)
* manipulating the EvE economy (only super rich sperglords in the jewbal really do this on a regular basis, but you can profit from their market manipulation sometimes by buying up billions in whatever is about to get really expensive)

xxCrackersxx
Dec 15, 2012

Lowkin posted:

Don't get caught up playing the game the way others tell you how to play the game. Find a group of guys you enjoy playing eve with and have fun. There are many ways of making isk some require lots of capital upfront some require very little. Either way you will need to find one you enjoy doing. What Goons do really well, is to help newbies explore the game and offer them support and information to achieve their goals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lowkin posted:

Incursions don't require standings. Incursions and lvl 5 missions are profitable, but there are much better ways to make money that don't require any standings at all and with much less training time.

Come to nullsec and be given a free exploration pack, which is extremely profitable for low-SP characters but is also relevant to learning about nullsec, unlike highsec content. Fly tackling frigates in fleets while you train into interceptors, bombers, logistics, or ewar.

e: It goes without saying that this is just advice and you should do whatever you think is fun, but most people who just grind standings and run missions all the time burn out quickly because most people find missions to be boring. If you're one of those special few who find them fun then go nuts

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 23, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Alexzandvar posted:

Having run incursions in the past to me the easiest time to kill them is normally catching a straggler on an acceleration gate or get a huge alpha fleet to break the tank of whoever is being primaried inside the incursion itself.
:words:

Is the old "drop a fleet of blackbirds, jam all the logis" trick not working anymore?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Amberskin posted:

Is the old "drop a fleet of blackbirds, jam all the logis" trick not working anymore?
Nobody runs incursions outside of highsec anymore.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Isilkor posted:

Nobody runs incursions outside of highsec anymore.

might still net a loss or two, and if you had someone quick on the mark to scoop the blingy loot...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

blowfish posted:

Fly free T1 frigates and treat them like ammo. Then fly bigger ships and treat them as slightly more expensive ammo.

This is the correct way to play EVE Online.

The sooner you learn that dying is something to be expected and not feared, the sooner you will begin to enjoy yourself. Even Blackops have SRP, despite the fact that we get laughed at when we lose something. CFC/RUS lost more titans at B-R than had ever been KIA before and yet that is the most crushing victory in the game to this date.

Even the Tutorial has a mission in which the only possible outcome is the loss of your ship, the sole purpose of which is to teach you that YOU WILL LOSE SHIPS.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Zalmun posted:

Money quote:

I agree, truthfully I think this was the only honest opinion piece on the war highlighting the RUS block involvement in a non marginalized, -A- is poo poo, etc point of view. Was a good read, James tends to be a good writer though, I can't stress enough how amusing his blog is on a daily basis.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Too bad he doesn't understand the concept of brevity.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT
Nevermind any sort of propaganda comments of his post the notion the Kugu founded PL is :wtc: That whole part of the story is full of inaccuracies. Kugu hacked LVs forums and showed who The Enslaver was and then got permbanned. In response he decided to help goons with their bob problem and took a run out their forums finding t20. That is when poo poo hit the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

FoF posted:

Nevermind any sort of propaganda comments of his post the notion the Kugu founded PL is :wtc: That whole part of the story is full of inaccuracies. Kugu hacked LVs forums and showed who The Enslaver was and then got permbanned. In response he decided to help goons with their bob problem and took a run out their forums finding t20. That is when poo poo hit the fan.

quote:

Against orders, they started to leave the system. .... They didn't listen. The N3PL titans continued to desert their brothers-in-arms

Seems to have avoided research for the BR- section too. Looking at any of the hundreds of images or videos would've shown that N3pl were self-bubbled along with hostile bubbles and unable to leave.

• Locked thread