Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

kazr posted:

I'm trying to hunt down 'vanilla friendly' texture packs and graphic improvements.

So far I have,

Connary Textures
Better Clothes & More Better Clothes
Better Bodies (not a fan but better clothes requires it)
Westley's Pluginless Head/Hair Replacer
Darknut's Creatures, Weapons, & Armor
StarWarsGuys Detailed Rugs & Tapestries
& Better Dieties

What I like about all these is that they pretty much just increase the resolution of Bethesda's original textures. Thinking of grabbing Canadian Ice's robe pack, but on the fence.

Why not use this robe pack? Covers males too, less weird clipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

Because I couldn't get the non-lethal combat mechanics working on that mod, I retooled it into a quest alternatives mod, one that adds new options including non-violent solutions to certain quests. I made a thread on the TES forums for it a year ago, which I can't find at the moment, but I still haven't finished it. Only the mage-related factions are done so far. Doing the rest requires me to play through the other great houses with a different character because altering existing quests properly requires having actually experienced them first. It will probably be a long time before I can get back to it, so don't let that stop you from making your own mod.

I've said I've retired in the past, but it's more like I go on long haituses because I keep coming back to it. I'm playing Skyrim at the moment and getting a little annoyed that the alchemy satchel in my player home requires me to manually transfer all my ingredients. The UL table that stores them all at he touch of a single button has spoiled me. I may end up modding that as my first attempt at figuring out Skyrim scripting.

Of course, altering Morrowind as I go has makes playing Skyrim grating at times because I'm not familiar enough with the modding tools to just open it up and change poo poo on the fly. For example, I figured out who the serial killer in Windhelm was right away, and was loving annoyed at being railroaded into implicating the mage and having to watch the real murderer kill another NPC in the marketplace in broad loving daylight and hunt him down before the case was "solved." Also, apparently the unofficial patch "fixes" that quest so you can't pick his pocket for the key to his chest full of evidence, which pissed me off even more because that is the goddamned stupid way round. Being able to solve the case early is a feature not a bug, and what the gently caress is evidence for if not for solving a case BEFORE the killer strikes again. For gently caress's sake, one thing I hate more than being railroaded in a game is stupid loving cocks who think more railroading = betterer.

:can: Arthmoor and the USKP team are a buncha baddies who think the unofficial patch should go above and beyond to provide the game experience they want you to have, which means adding in tons of "fixes" for things that aren't broken (like that). When people bring it up arthmoor usually says "if you want an unofficial patch that doesn't do anything but fix bugs, go play morrowind :smuggo::respek::smug:"

which he probably doesn't realize is a glowing recommendation for the morrowind unofficial patch

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Moryrie posted:

Why not use this robe pack? Covers males too, less weird clipping.

This is exactly what I wanted, thank you!

edit: anyone know of a good lighting mod?

kazr fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 23, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I asked this earlier but now I'm willing to offer a bribe for it, is it super terrible to mod in a summon mudcrab spell? I'll buy an upgrade of choice for anyone who makes one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So I asked this earlier but now I'm willing to offer a bribe for it, is it super terrible to mod in a summon mudcrab spell? I'll buy an upgrade of choice for anyone who makes one.
I can probably rustle one up if my modding skills haven't decayed more than I thought and I am shamelessly open to bribery, give me a day or so.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It'd be cool if, instead of 1 mudcrab, you could summon like 20 of them to swarm and distract your enemies with.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Fuuuck. You level fast in this. I'm still Daedra food at level 7 but I've barely made it into the game. Just exploring West Gash racked up levels with all the critters you have to kill. I'm about to install a mod that makes it go slower.

I want to see TR without being an ultra-powerful wizard. :ohdear:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Mortimer posted:

If you don't have the cds or own it on steam how are you installing it

I have all of my games on cd backed up on an external hard drive.

edit: more the point, I didn't want to need to keep the cds on me to play, but I just picked it up on Steam again anyway since its the same effect.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Can adding extra summons actually be done? I thought the spell and summon effects were hardcoded so you couldn't change 'em. Maybe with the script extender, I dunno.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

So, Starfire's NPC Additions seems to be pretty great. All the NPCs added have lore-friendly names, which is a big plus for me.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Can adding extra summons actually be done? I thought the spell and summon effects were hardcoded so you couldn't change 'em. Maybe with the script extender, I dunno.

A quick look at the CS shows that the summons are hard coded and it looks like you can't attach scripts to spell effects. The way to go would probably be through a scripted item.

I might actually be able to do this. Give me some time to experiment.

Edit: Actually, I remember getting something like that to work once. I'm not sure what I did with the esp, though.

Edit 2: I've got it working! The mudcrabs are hostile and are summoned every frame, but a few more lines of code should fix that.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Stuporstar posted:

Of course, altering Morrowind as I go has makes playing Skyrim grating at times because I'm not familiar enough with the modding tools to just open it up and change poo poo on the fly. For example, I figured out who the serial killer in Windhelm was right away, and was loving annoyed at being railroaded into implicating the mage and having to watch the real murderer kill another NPC in the marketplace in broad loving daylight and hunt him down before the case was "solved." Also, apparently the unofficial patch "fixes" that quest so you can't pick his pocket for the key to his chest full of evidence, which pissed me off even more because that is the goddamned stupid way round. Being able to solve the case early is a feature not a bug, and what the gently caress is evidence for if not for solving a case BEFORE the killer strikes again. For gently caress's sake, one thing I hate more than being railroaded in a game is stupid loving cocks who think more railroading = betterer.

You actually can catch the real killer before he kills again but the trigger to unlock the necessary dialogue options to do it is non-obvious :shobon:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/084dcndycax9opr/C_j7LKekNm

When you equip the Club of Mudcrab Summoning (chitinclub_SMudcrab), it runs a script called "MD_Summon_Mudcrab" to spawn a unique mudcrab via PlaceAtPC. When the summoned mudcrab dies, it resets a variable in that script so another one can be summoned (if the club is equipped). I tried using a command called GetWeaponDrawn which supposedly comes with Tribunal, but it didn't work.

The mudcrab object is mudcrab_MD_summon if you want to edit it. It's currently a friendly mudcrab set to follow you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Oggumogoggum posted:

So, Starfire's NPC Additions seems to be pretty great. All the NPCs added have lore-friendly names, which is a big plus for me.

I've talked about it on a few occasions, but yeah, it's a pretty cool mod. The random aspect of it helps creates a world that seems to be constantly moving around, rather than just bulking up cities with more (static) NPCs. The only problem I've noted is that it can hit FPS pretty hard, especially in cities where the FPS might already be low (i.e. Balmora, Ebonheart, etc.)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

GrumpyDoctor posted:

You actually can catch the real killer before he kills again but the trigger to unlock the necessary dialogue options to do it is non-obvious :shobon:

Well, dammit! Next playthrough I guess. The unofficial patch change is still dumb though.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

A quick look at the CS shows that the summons are hard coded and it looks like you can't attach scripts to spell effects. The way to go would probably be through a scripted item.

I might actually be able to do this. Give me some time to experiment.

Edit: Actually, I remember getting something like that to work once. I'm not sure what I did with the esp, though.

Edit 2: I've got it working! The mudcrabs are hostile and are summoned every frame, but a few more lines of code should fix that.

You can actually make that a spell, and use a constantly running global script to detect the spell being cast on the player using the GetSpellEffects function. Don't confuse it with GetEffect, which is used to detect the actual effect. GetSpellEffects detects the specific ID of the spell, which is why it can be used for things like this. Create a spell, any spell, with a one second duration on the player, then write a global script to detect it and place the mudcrab follower. To initialize all this, I suggest making a scripted book or scroll that will teach the player the spell and start the global detection script.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What's the console command to increase my speed and what's a good value for it?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Stuporstar posted:

Well, dammit! Next playthrough I guess. The unofficial patch change is still dumb though.

You can actually make that a spell, and use a constantly running global script to detect the spell being cast on the player using the GetSpellEffects function.

Oh, okay. I didn't know about GetSpellEffect. Here's the new version:

type "player->additem sc_summonmudcrab 1" to learn it

Come, my pretties!

omg chael crash posted:

What's the console command to increase my speed and what's a good value for it?

"player->setspeed [whatever]"

200-1000 is a good number. Don't go to high, or bad things happen. I'd personally recommend the Run Faster mod in the OP.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 23, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Come, my pretties!

200-1000 is a good number. Don't go to high, or bad things happen. I'd personally recommend the Run Faster mod in the OP.

That rules. Get like 30 mudcrabs to follow you and let the swarm consume your enemies.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

That rules. Get like 30 mudcrabs to follow you and let the swarm consume your enemies.

you'd need to improve their speed though.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I bumped their speed up to 50. They're slow, but can still follow you.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wish the speed mods from the OP didn't change NPCs as well, they look kinda doofy jetting all over the place.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

I bumped their speed up to 50. They're slow, but can still follow you.

Give them Levitate and see if they gently hover along the ground like horrifying hovercrafts.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hog Butcher posted:

Give them Levitate and see if they gently hover along the ground like horrifying hovercrafts.

Can mudcrabs jump? Fortify jump and them jumping at people like headcrabs/facehuggers sounds even better.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I don't think mudcrabs can jump.

Come, my pretties!

Now you just need to script NPCs to respond with horror as the diseased little buggers follow you into the cities and into people's homes.

Hog Butcher posted:

You could use the standard companion scripting. Alter the z-level flight check so they always float 50 units or so above the player's z-level. They might not be able to fight if you did that though.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 24, 2014

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm on the part of Rise of House Telvanni where I need to plant evidence somewhere in Orvas Dren's home. Only, there's one problem. I don't know where the gently caress to plant it. The journal entry says his desk, but the advisor says I need to plant it in his... documents chest? What? There are only two chests I can find, and neither they, nor the desk, work for this quest.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if anyone here has gone through RoHT, I have to ask, in case I can't find it myself: Where the gently caress do I plant the evidence to frame Orvas Dren? Because either I'm blind and don't notice it right in front of me, or this mod just does a terrible job of conveying what I need to do.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

The Colonel posted:

I'm on the part of Rise of House Telvanni where I need to plant evidence somewhere in Orvas Dren's home. Only, there's one problem. I don't know where the gently caress to plant it. The journal entry says his desk, but the advisor says I need to plant it in his... documents chest? What? There are only two chests I can find, and neither they, nor the desk, work for this quest.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if anyone here has gone through RoHT, I have to ask, in case I can't find it myself: Where the gently caress do I plant the evidence to frame Orvas Dren? Because either I'm blind and don't notice it right in front of me, or this mod just does a terrible job of conveying what I need to do.

I read that if you have animated containers it can break this part of the quest. I haven't gotten this far though, so I don't know for sure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Moryrie posted:

I read that if you have animated containers it can break this part of the quest. I haven't gotten this far though, so I don't know for sure.

Ah, drat. I'm playing with MGSO, so that must be it.

Is there any way I can use the console to advance the quest, or am I just hosed and House Telvanni will never claim their place controlling Vvardenfell?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
You could just disable animated containers for a bit, retry and see if things work. Then enable them again later. Make a backup first obviously, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Otherwise you have to find some way of figuring out the quest stages, and unless that's posted online somewhere, you're probably stuck looking at the quests in the CK until you find the right stage of the right one. There may be another way to check but I'm not familiar enough with all of Morrowind's tools to be able to tell you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Moryrie posted:

You could just disable animated containers for a bit, retry and see if things work. Then enable them again later. Make a backup first obviously, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Otherwise you have to find some way of figuring out the quest stages, and unless that's posted online somewhere, you're probably stuck looking at the quests in the CK until you find the right stage of the right one. There may be another way to check but I'm not familiar enough with all of Morrowind's tools to be able to tell you.

Yeah, I loaded up the CK and managed to find the Quest ID and quest stage. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully after I tie up these loose ends with the assassins by fireballing them all to death, I'll be done with the mod. I'm pretty sure I managed to get the best possible outcome out of every decision in this mod, actually, unless destroying the Mages Guild was an unnecessary decision that didn't actually help me in the long run, which I have a sneaking suspicion is true.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, I loaded up the CK and managed to find the Quest ID and quest stage. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully after I tie up these loose ends with the assassins by fireballing them all to death, I'll be done with the mod. I'm pretty sure I managed to get the best possible outcome out of every decision in this mod, actually, unless destroying the Mages Guild was an unnecessary decision that didn't actually help me in the long run, which I have a sneaking suspicion is true.

Nah, the Mages Guild still shows up in Oblivion no matter what you do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Krowley posted:

Nah, the Mages Guild still shows up in Oblivion no matter what you do.

Dammit, I was certain that the TES games had some sort of system to make all my decisions in fan-made mods be canon parts of the lore!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I may have set some of my MGO options just a bit too high, is there any way to lower them?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The itch finally became too much to bear, and I broke my Morrowind fast tonight :toot: I think I might stick with this for a while, and while I don't want to go crazy on modding until I get a new machine, I do have a couple questions -

1. Is it safe to run the stuff in the OP's Option 3 (MCP, .exe optimizer etc) over a non-fresh install? My most recent save is from nearly two years ago so while I have a lot of those patches installed, there are probably newer and better versions out there. Having to do a complete reinstall will likely harsh my current mellow towards the game as well, but I seem to remember saving the ZIP files for all the mods I'm currently running.

2. For you folks that are advocating a hand-to-hand playthrough, would you recommend any mods for such a character or is the style fine as-is? I really want to try a "minimalist" build (Unarmored and H2H, "live-off-the-land" and such) but I seem to remember hearing that a lot of enemies have really high Fatigue which makes H2H a chore.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 24, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mortimer posted:

:can: Arthmoor and the USKP team are a buncha baddies who think the unofficial patch should go above and beyond to provide the game experience they want you to have, which means adding in tons of "fixes" for things that aren't broken (like that). When people bring it up arthmoor usually says "if you want an unofficial patch that doesn't do anything but fix bugs, go play morrowind :smuggo::respek::smug:"

which he probably doesn't realize is a glowing recommendation for the morrowind unofficial patch
The reason the key was removed is that, while you can nick the key and search the chest, you can't do anything with the information.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Colonel posted:

Dammit, I was certain that the TES games had some sort of system to make all my decisions in fan-made mods be canon parts of the lore!

It does, but that doesn't stop other people's decisions from also being canon.

(this post is canon)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Oggumogoggum posted:

This is cool so far, but I've had several of the NPCs attack me. Is that supposed to happen?

Huh. I guess so. Like criminals / assassins in the cities and such. That's kinda neat. I just tried it out. Maybe it'll make Vvardenfell feel like a much more Wild West kind of place.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 24, 2014

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Kilroy posted:

The reason the key was removed is that, while you can nick the key and search the chest, you can't do anything with the information.

Knowing Bethsada, I figured as much. That's why I said the fix was the stupid way round though. Fixing it properly would require the extra effort of making the evidence useful rather than leaving it extraneous bullshit.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

It does, but that doesn't stop other people's decisions from also being canon.

(this post is canon)

CHIM means everything is canon :tipshat:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Krowley posted:

CHIM C0DA means everything is canon :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Stuporstar posted:

Knowing Bethsada, I figured as much. That's why I said the fix was the stupid way round though. Fixing it properly would require the extra effort of making the evidence useful rather than leaving it extraneous bullshit.
Now who wants the patch to add extra material ;)

IMO they made the right call.