Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

His hair, presumably.

Ahh, I thought it was code for avoiding certain fans or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
nah but you had many a single mum going wet in the gusset on facebook about it... posting fifty shades of grey memes and the like.

Creepy

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

greatn posted:

All I'm saying guys, is every second Ollie's arrow is not inside Felicity's quiver is a slap in the face to every single fan out there. And when she flirted with Barry I cried for hours. That's all I'm saying guys, and I think you'd all agree.

OK, I laughed pretty hard at this one, I have to admit. I think the way the interaction is kind of awkward and unclear is fine, personally. Even just the bad sexual puns are pretty humorous.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
No more spoilers from Amell. Who ruined the thing? How many bitches do I have to cut? :black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
all the whingers about his Suicide Squad photo

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
gently caress Jade Fox, am I the only one who hopes the character of Cheshire gets introduced to this show?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dead Snoopy posted:

gently caress Jade Fox, am I the only one who hopes the character of Cheshire gets introduced to this show?

Only if she sports that crazy mask from the Young Justice version.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rocksicles posted:

all the whingers about his Suicide Squad photo

Wait seriously?

That photo came from the official article released by the CW to hype the show :psyduck:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If we wanna throw villains in the show that are from other heroes, what would you think about Manchester Black?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wait seriously?

That photo came from the official article released by the CW to hype the show :psyduck:

See above, re: bitches and crazy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

If we wanna throw villains in the show that are from other heroes, what would you think about Manchester Black?

Isn't Black a psychic or something? I'd rather just have Arrow do the normal physical villains thing. You get too para- or super- with your poo poo and it stops being a show about Green Arrow. I mean, it's not like he's Batman or anything, to solve crimes with ghosts and stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was a telepath and telekinetic, and an extremely powerful one too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

He was a telepath and telekinetic, and an extremely powerful one too.

He also had a Juggernaut clone as a friend, Tom, right? Haha.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Drifter posted:

I mean, it's not like he's Batman or anything, to solve crimes with ghosts and stuff.

I wouldn't mind the Gentleman Ghost showing up on the show.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Drifter posted:

Isn't Black a psychic or something? I'd rather just have Arrow do the normal physical villains thing. You get too para- or super- with your poo poo and it stops being a show about Green Arrow. I mean, it's not like he's Batman or anything, to solve crimes with ghosts and stuff.

Well, Count Vertigo was also a real count with mental powers and could fly, so I'm sure they would make some changes when bringing anyone into this show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, Count Vertigo was also a real count with mental powers and could fly, so I'm sure they would make some changes when bringing anyone into this show.

Yeah, but at that points it's just a name, so why bother?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Drifter posted:

Yeah, but at that points it's just a name, so why bother?

Gotta keep those villains of the week fresh!

On an unrelated note: what's the Suicide Squad's killing policy in the comics? Are they allowed to go all out, or do they have to show some restrain since they're kinda government funded and all that?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Krad posted:

On an unrelated note: what's the Suicide Squad's killing policy in the comics? Are they allowed to go all out, or do they have to show some restrain since they're kinda government funded and all that?

The entire purpose of the Squad is using supervillains for deniable black ops. That's not the sort of thing that normally squares nicely with "don't kill people".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Krad posted:

Considering the Government would disavow the gently caress out of any of their actions, as long as they complete the mission without alerting people that hey, the Government is totally doing this. It doesn't matter.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Great, sounds like Diggle will be the boring one in the group.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

Great, sounds like Diggle will be the boring one in the group.

I could imagine Diggle could gently caress poo poo up if he had a target worth loving up. I doubt killing would be a thing he'd never do. He's a soldier. Acts of war and all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

nah but you had many a single mum going wet in the gusset on facebook about it... posting fifty shades of grey memes and the like.

Creepy

Well, Amell was one of the 'fantasy' casting choices, wasn't he? I remember he tweeted something about reading the book, and how the role would be a big opportunity... for someone else.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah and they still pepper him with FSoG memes and poo poo.

He's got the patience of a saint, i'd be telling those crazy bitches whats up.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Drifter posted:

I dunno. I think taking down legit supernatural villains with nothing but bow skills would make Ollie even more awesome. Focus on the powers as another thing he needs to overcome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Manchester Black was powerful enough to give Superman a stroke by pinching a blood vessel in his brain with his mind, and control thousands of people at once.

If they want a throwaway guy for Ollie to beat up someone lower on the totem pole is probably a better choice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Manchester Black was powerful enough to give Superman a stroke by pinching a blood vessel in his brain with his mind, and control thousands of people at once.

If they want a throwaway guy for Ollie to beat up someone lower on the totem pole is probably a better choice.

Well you'd have to significantly depower him, of course. I'd just like to see the personalities clash. Another JLA/JSA villain whose power level is suitable, and is dangerous and diabolical enough to be right up this show's alley, would be Vandal Savage.

greatn fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 23, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Well you'd have to significantly depower him, of course. I'd just like to see the personalities clash. Another JLA/JSA villain whose power level is suitable, and is dangerous and diabolical enough to be right up this show's alley, would be Vandal Savage.

Vandal Savage is beyond Ra'sal Ghul. He's literally a man who has lived since the dawn of mankind. He's part alien/supernatural and wouldn't fit as is into the world of Arrow. I get you guys are excited about all the stuff, but quit throwing random names around.

Savage would, in Arrow's universe, play out as another businessman Deathstroke. Which is what Merlyn is, and Deathstroke is, except without all the character history. Do you really want more of the same? And if you go one higher, and find it was Savage funding the original Ivo search, before 'stroke joined on, Then it's just going to be the namedrop that al Ghul is - a super powerful world influence with other people doing his bidding. Which we have just fine already, without that once again remove.

Do you really want more of the same? Quit begging for random name drops.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
If the Flash TV show actually manages to be somewhat successful, I'd be really surprised if absolutely no super powered villains manage to cross over to Arrow at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Krad posted:

If the Flash TV show actually manages to be somewhat successful, I'd be really surprised if absolutely no super powered villains manage to cross over to Arrow at all.

Arrow has already had a super powered villain. It's highly likely there'll end up being more.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, but you know, with something other than super strength, which is the tamest thing you can do without looking extremely over the top.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Just started watching this show on Netflix and drat, is it ever great. I'm floored at how much I'm enjoying it, especially since the Green Arrow was never one of my favorite superheroes as a kid. The only complaint I have is with Laurel, whose chosen profession doesn't seem to mesh too well with her personality or apparent age.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Mog posted:

The only complaint I have is with Laurel, whose chosen profession doesn't seem to mesh too well with her personality or apparent age.

That's a thing, I guess. She's trying to be all Hoppin' Jalapeno, but she's really just a Cool Ranch kind of girl.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Krad posted:

Captain Boomerang, you have failed this city!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Captain Boomerang, you have failed this city!

As an Australian it would only be acceptable if he put on the complete worst accident possible. I'm talking american who has only heard the australian accent through watching Crocodile Dundee bad.

But yeah as person who never really cared about green arrow or even much DC outside of the Justice League cartoons I'm blown away by how much I'm enjoying this show. I thought I would hate the flashback stuff and the overcrowding love interests but its just been such a strongly paced show that its seems incredibly easy to get hooked on the flashback/real time advancement.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 24, 2014

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
Has anyone ever noticed that during the first season, Green Arrow would regularly infiltrate bad guy hangout du jour and straight up murder the hapless, work-a-day thugs that are probably only there due to desperation and poor life choices, while letting the wealthy mastermind off with a stern warning?

There was an episode where the DA gets the Arrow to infiltrate some crime boss's estate and plant a recording device, so they can gather evidence and try the crime boss all above board and legal. So the Arrow sneaks onto the grounds, assassinates all of the crime boss's guards, and then plants a bug so the bad guy can then be tried according to due process of law(???). At this point I would point out that if you have money, you can legally hire armed security guards from legitimate companies like Securitas and First Response Systems - and you don't even have to be a criminal mastermind with nefarious plans.

Then they introduce the evil black archer(Merlyn)and you're supposed to know he is E-V-I-L because you see him hunting down 3 of the unrepentant rich assholes who Green Arrow had previously let go, and putting some feathers in their chests. Three. Meanwhile in the previously mentioned episode, Green Arrow murders at least 12 guys on screen, who could have essentially been mall cops for all he knew.

In the second season, Green Arrow vows not to kill, but does it anyway once in a while. I think it's time to admit that this is not a superhero show, and is in fact a show about a Dexter-like sympathetic serial killer.

Looking forward to the Flash though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

In the second season, Green Arrow vows not to kill, but does it anyway once in a while. I think it's time to admit that this is not a superhero show, and is in fact a show about a Dexter-like sympathetic serial killer.

His vow to kill wasn't to 'never kill' but was to not kill as a way to achieve justice.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

There was an episode where the DA gets the Arrow to infiltrate some crime boss's estate and plant a recording device, so they can gather evidence and try the crime boss all above board and legal. So the Arrow sneaks onto the grounds, assassinates all of the crime boss's guards, and then plants a bug so the bad guy can then be tried according to due process of law(???). At this point I would point out that if you have money, you can legally hire armed security guards from legitimate companies like Securitas and First Response Systems - and you don't even have to be a criminal mastermind with nefarious plans.

Let's be real, nobody was planing on taking that guy to court.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Let's be real, nobody was planing on taking that guy to court.

Lol - That's right. Green arrow ends up killing that guy at the end of the episode anyway - because gently caress courts! We goin' all Zimmerman on that mugfug!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's worth taking a closer look at sequences like those, actually. While Ollie was definitely willing to kill and did a lot of it, he actually shot a lot of guys in the shoulder. It's a really minor, easily missed detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

It's worth taking a closer look at sequences like those, actually. While Ollie was definitely willing to kill and did a lot of it, he actually shot a lot of guys in the shoulder. It's a really minor, easily missed detail.

Yeah, instead of killing people he just puts them under incredible debt from hospital bills and maybe even a lifetime of disability.

• Locked thread